Sponsored by:

Manual Transmission

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2015, 04:18 PM
TNSQUIRE
Drifting

Received 336 Likes on 238 Posts
Default Manual Transmission

Just get an MGW short throw shifter. It is an amazing difference.
Old 06-11-2015, 05:28 PM
DAFFYDRUNK
Melting Slicks

Received 289 Likes on 238 Posts

Originally Posted by motomanvette
Am I only one who misses shifts in this car or only one who will admit it? I've had about 50 stick shift cars but I'm getting hung up between 4-7, wanting to go to 5th, and going from 7th to 6th, I hit 4th.

I'll admit I screw up here and there. I'm a lifer stick driver too, and consider myself very good at it. I've missed a 2-3 once out of about 7 times so far while speed shifting. Had a WTF here and there with the 5-7th thing. GF had the 5-7th problem too at first.
Old 06-11-2015, 06:48 PM
JerryU
E-Ray, 3LZ, ZER, LIFT
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 9,619 Likes on 6,625 Posts

Originally Posted by motomanvette
Am I only one who misses shifts in this car or only one who will admit it? I've had about 50 stick shift cars but I'm getting hung up between 4-7, wanting to go to 5th, and going from 7th to 6th, I hit 4th.
If you want to go to 6th from 7th, or like me usually from 4th to 6th, learn to trust reverse lock out and shift like you're going to reverse.
Frankly I often go from 7th to 4th. You have to remember this is not an old 4 speed where you row thru the gears up and down. 4th is a 1:1 ratio. 5th, 6th and 7th are all overdrives. Pick the one you are going to cruise in and go to it directly. Same when coming down, if you're exiting a freeway that you have been driving in 7th, you probably want to be exiting in 4th or maybe even 3rd. Go there directly, rev match helps make it a smooth transition. If on the highway and need to accelerate quickly for whatever reason, going to 6th is not much help. Might as well go to 4th. Your still way below redline. To each his own but for the few times I've gone from 7th to 6th, just kept pressure to the right like I was pulling down to reverse and it slipped in fine. Getting to 5th, which I travel in often on our rural roads does take a little more care so you don't wind up in 7th. For me the spring loading to the 3rd/4th gate fits the way I drive perfectly.
I did install a cue ball size shift **** that I find helps sideways motion as we'll as the 1st to 2nd shift. It also reduces the stroke by about 12% since it sits lower on the shifter.
Old 06-11-2015, 07:22 PM
thrilled
Safety Car

Received 618 Likes on 455 Posts

Originally Posted by JerryU
If you want to go to 6th from 7th, or like me usually from 4th to 6th, learn to trust reverse lock out and shift like you're going to reverse.
Frankly I often go from 7th to 4th. You have to remember this is not an old 4 speed where you row thru the gears up and down. 4th is a 1:1 ratio. 5th, 6th and 7th are all overdrives. Pick the one you are going to cruise in and go to it directly. Same when coming down, if you're exiting a freeway that you have been driving in 7th, you probably want to be exiting in 4th or maybe even 3rd. Go there directly, rev match helps make it a smooth transition. If on the highway and need to accelerate quickly for whatever reason, going to 6th is not much help. Might as well go to 4th. Your still way below redline. To each his own but for the few times I've gone from 7th to 6th, just kept pressure to the right like I was pulling down to reverse and it slipped in fine. Getting to 5th, which I travel in often on our rural roads does take a little more care so you don't wind up in 7th. For me the spring loading to the 3rd/4th gate fits the way I drive perfectly.
I did install a cue ball size shift **** that I find helps sideways motion as we'll as the 1st to 2nd shift. It also reduces the stroke by about 12% since it sits lower on the shifter.
I'm A shifter from way back.I go from 1st - 6th not skipping A gear.Downshift the same way.On the freeway when I get the speed up I slip it into 7th.If I had wanted to skip gears I would have got the A6 or A8.
Old 06-11-2015, 11:23 PM
coupeguyz51
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 107 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by TNSQUIRE
Just get an MGW short throw shifter. It is an amazing difference.
:

This shifter is great!
Old 06-11-2015, 11:29 PM
JerryU
E-Ray, 3LZ, ZER, LIFT
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by thrilled
I'm A shifter from way back.I go from 1st - 6th not skipping A gear.Downshift the same way.On the freeway when I get the speed up I slip it into 7th.If I had wanted to skip gears I would have got the A6 or A8.
I've had standard shifts in almost every car since my '41 Ford Opera Coupe that I stuffed in an Olds engine in 1959 when I was 17! It had a 3 speed, as did my '50 Ford. Couldn't wait to have a 4 speed which I had in several Corvairs including my first new car a '67 Corvair. Used all 4 gears in my 260Z and never skipped. Guess I learned I didn't need to use them all in my V8 CJ5 Jeep, two "7" speed Doge Colts and "7" speed Doug Nash trans in the '88 Vette. Didn't skip many in the '93 Vette and used all most often in my standard shift trucks when between Vettes. But when I got my '08 with all the torque and 6 speeds with two overdrives, I realized I didn't need them all.
I understand some never got over that desire for more gears and don't want to waste any but in the C7 with 3 overdrives it's not needed. To each his own but I don't see a need to row thru all gears and going from 7th back down thru two other overdrives, 6th and 5th, when you need to be in 4th coming off an exit ramp, is not logical, IMO. Rev match makes skipping gears perfectly smooth. That's my opinion, obviously you do as you wish.

Last edited by JerryU; 06-12-2015 at 06:38 AM.
Old 06-11-2015, 11:49 PM
FLS2K
Pro

Received 193 Likes on 77 Posts

Originally Posted by Kracka
This is the 2nd best manual transmission I've owned; 2nd to the Honda S2000 which is probably the best shifting manual transmission ever created. I'm usually quick to jump on short-shifter kits, etc. with my sports car, but I haven't found the need on the C7 thus far.
Agree on all counts. I put ~117k miles on my S2000. I miss that bugger.
Old 06-12-2015, 12:01 AM
oyealiz
Team Owner

Received 232 Likes on 119 Posts
2022 C8 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
CI 3-4-5-6-7-8-9-10 Veteran
St. Jude '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'16

Loved my c6 manual, and love my c7 manual. Only "difference" to me in the shifting is getting to 6th gear. Maybe it's the way I sit, but I had to get used to pulling it over to the right to hit 6th. In my c5s, I always put in an after market short throw shifter. Haven't cared to in the c6 or c7.
Old 06-12-2015, 12:21 AM
OrioleFan
Racer

Received 62 Likes on 33 Posts

I find the other gears easy to shift...2 to 3, 4 to 5...etc...don't have any problems. I just go very easy on the shifter and rely a lot on the spring to center it. It just glides right into gear, it's so sweet in my opinion.

I do find the clutch a bit tricky. It doesn't give a ton of feedback when it catches. Maybe it's because the only other manuals I've driven was a jeep in the Middle East and a Chevy Spark.

Last edited by OrioleFan; 06-12-2015 at 12:24 AM.
Old 06-12-2015, 08:11 AM
Indy-hp
Le Mans Master

Received 65 Likes on 56 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09

They are about the same.
Old 06-12-2015, 11:17 AM
SCorvette08
Pro

Received 103 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by GARYFINN
Just sold my 2012 GS Vert with manual in anticipation of a C7 in the next year.Is the C7 manual trans less notchy than the C6.
to exactly answer your question i had a C-6 with manual and now a C-7
they are close only 1 st to second is knotchy in the C-7 being new
after that pretty good and in cold 1,2,3 knotchy but gos away once warmed up
Old 06-12-2015, 11:58 AM
JerryU
E-Ray, 3LZ, ZER, LIFT
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by oyealiz
Loved my c6 manual, and love my c7 manual. Only "difference" to me in the shifting is getting to 6th gear. Maybe it's the way I sit, but I had to get used to pulling it over to the right to hit 6th. In my c5s, I always put in an after market short throw shifter. Haven't cared to in the c6 or c7.
Once I learned to trust reverse lockout, 6th was easy. Push to the right with enough force as if going into reverse, slips right into 6th.

Last edited by JerryU; 06-13-2015 at 08:56 AM.
Old 07-13-2015, 05:24 PM
routesixtysix
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had a short throw in my C6. The C7 feels sloppy to me. Going for another short throw. MGW has lots of positive reviews on the Forum so I'll be ordering one of them. I did the installation on my C6. The instructions for the C7 make it look a little easier. Hope so.
Old 07-13-2015, 05:58 PM
eylarson
Heel & Toe

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Like all sticks this one takes some getting used to, but it all becomes "automatic" over time. The transmission and shifting are balky in very cold weather. Last winter I noted the transmission temperature rarely rose off the bottom peg during a 30 mile drive to work, a even combination of city streets and highway. Previous stick was a 350Z, before that a 325 BMW. I'd rate this above the Z car, but not far behind the Beemer.
Old 07-13-2015, 06:40 PM
F4 Phantom
Melting Slicks

Received 490 Likes on 292 Posts

Originally Posted by Kracka
This is the 2nd best manual transmission I've owned; 2nd to the Honda S2000 which is probably the best shifting manual transmission ever created. I'm usually quick to jump on short-shifter kits, etc. with my sports car, but I haven't found the need on the C7 thus far.
I agree with that. I had two S2000s, an 00 and an 06. I had the opportunity to drive my old 06 last Saturday. I had forgotten how good the S2000 trans is, with a very short throw and smooth shifter.
Old 07-13-2015, 10:47 PM
djpatrick35
Drifting

Received 32 Likes on 25 Posts

It's much smoother than either of my old C6's. That said, it does take some time to get used to the seventh gear. It does make me wish they would've stuck with six gears, but the throw is smooth and precise and it's not as notchy as the C6 TR6060 was. It's the second smoothest gearbox I've felt in a Corvette after the ZF unit from my old '90 ZR-1. That car had throws that were longer than War & Peace but it was smooth as a baby's butt.

I'm worried that I made a mistake by getting a short throw shifter for the Callaway conversion since it's so good. Meh... Nevermind. I CAN'T WAIT for my car to get back!
Old 07-14-2015, 08:44 PM
8corvette
Navigator
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Was not particularly happy with the stock shifter in my 2008 C6 Z06 so went with the MGW. Great improvement and it got better as time went on.
When I got my 2014 M7 one of the first things I did was swap for the MGW.
If someone hadn't told me the parts in the C7 were different I would say the shift mechanism is the same. The MGW improved the factory feel, but still struggled at times to find the right gear - the dash indicator of the actual gear is actually a nice touch.
Had Headers installed a couple of months ago - which improved the shifting.
My only explanation is that to get the Headers in we loosened and raised the Engine - so when the Engine went back down a potential "twist" in the tunnel/torque tube/driveshaft found a more aligned position.
Bottom line - with the MGW in both cases - not a significant difference.
Like others I would be happy with six, but understand the need for seven.
Old 07-15-2015, 03:58 PM
meyerweb
Safety Car

Received 483 Likes on 320 Posts

I'll say it took me some time to get used to it. The pull into the center 3-4 gate is very strong, and if you don't shift quickly it's easy to end up in 4 when you wanted 6. But it just takes a little practice, and learning not to be lazy with the shifter.

7th is a real stretch to the right, but that's a good thing. You're not going to use it much, and you don't want to get over into the 7-R gate accidentally.

Quick Reply: Manual Transmission