C7 General Discussion General C7 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Updated SD Card Infotainment Facts & Myths --- Too much old/incorrect info found

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2015, 05:45 PM
NostraD
Instructor

Received 57 Likes on 28 Posts
Default Updated SD Card Infotainment Facts & Myths --- Too much old/incorrect info found

Having just become a 1st time 'Vette owner less than a month ago, I'm relatively new to "The Club" and this forum. Wanting to learn as much as possible, I've been logging-on each day to read and absorb as much info as possible in addition to reading my manuals cover to cover. I've learned a lot and appreciate all the helpful info I've received. So, now it's time for me to start giving back with some info and help of my own.

Being a tech and audio guy, I was highly interested in all the optional ports and inputs for my audio collection. While I found a lot of info on the forums, I found that much of it was quite old, dating back to late 2013 and early 2014. Since then, I'm assuming a number of updates have taken place, rendering a lot of that previously posted information as being old, speculative, and/or incorrect. I did a lot of experimenting this weekend with many different options and thought I'd share some fresh information and successful results that will assist those interested in knowing their options when it comes to SD card options for Music storage with the Infotainment system. The following is a list of items I've confirmed as WORKING SUCCESSFULLY, despite seeing references to the contrary in other (older) forum areas. Please note that my system configuration is a 2015 Stingray 3LT w/Upgraded Bose System.

Infotainment SD Card Facts & Myths

1. Card Capacity: I've successfully loaded and am accessing my collection on a 128GB MicroSD card. Previous reports state a 32GB as being the capacity limit. These parameters should be much the same for those using USB Flash Drives. In fact, it's important to note that USB is really the ONLY options for 2016 owners, since for some unknown reason, GM decided to remove the SD Card slot from the center console. If you have the PDR option, you'll still find an SD slot near the glove box, but that is exclusively used for the PDR and will not load music files to the Infotainment system.

2. Card Format: The 128GB card I'm using is formatted in NTFS (FAT32 also works). Previous reports state the card must be in FAT32 format (true for PDR).

3. Card Size: The 128GB card I'm using is a MicroSD card, which is installed with a larger SD adapter. This configuration works just like a normal size SD card.

4. Card Config: The 128GB card I'm using is an SDXC Class 10 MicroSD. Previous reports state that SDXC cards do not work.

5. Music Quantity: The 128GB card I'm using is currently loaded with 13,850 songs from 1,804 albums by 1,416 different artists, using 72GB on the card.

6. Music Format: All my music is in MP3 format, with most converted at 192-320 or using Hi-Quality VBR. All files recognized and working, thus far.

7. Music Playlists: I've successfully loaded 40 Playlists in .M3U format. All are recognized by the system and play in the original order I set on my PC.

8. Sync/Transfer: I used the trusty old WinAmp software to sync my entire music collection and playlists to the MicroSD card. Many other options exist.

9. Voice Access: The number of songs (14K) I have does not allow voice searching by individual song, but voice search by Artist, Album, Playlist still works.

10. USB & SD: I've confirmed that the system will properly "merge" music content from two different sources (i.e.: Console SD & Behind Screen USB).

11. Gracenote: While it takes a while to process, the system and built-in Gracenote software successfully loaded all my tag data and album art.

12. Glove Box PDR SD: To be clear, the SD slot to the left of the glove box is exclusively for the PDR and must be formatted in FAT32 (MicroSD or SD is fine).

I really hope this updated information, based upon my experimentation and experience is helpful to anyone interested in leveraging the great technology and entertainment options in this awesome car. It's also important to note that my entire music collection is also available for seamless streaming from my Android LG G3, via Stereo Bluetooth. However, after extensive sound testing, I can tell you that the audio quality differences playing the same music tracks from internal SD/USB connections vs. stereo bluetooth streaming is very noticeable. The USB/SD direct file access provides a much clearer, brighter, and more expansive sound than streaming over bluetooth. The bluetooth streaming is not bad, but the direct file access is simply superior and (for me) worth the effort to format and set-up properly.

I'm also including a few pictures to support the comments and list I provided above. If there are any questions I can answer for anyone, I'll be happy to do so. Meanwhile, I hope opening this new thread provides everyone with a positive update on what they can (and can't) do with the music file options for their Infotainment system. --- Happy Listening, Everyone!
Attached Images    

Last edited by NostraD; 02-22-2016 at 03:13 PM. Reason: Added notes regarding center console SD slot being removed from 2016 models
The following 15 users liked this post by NostraD:
1776DAVE (02-22-2016), 17gs (10-31-2016), BIC (11-17-2015), Buick67 (03-02-2016), C5_LS1 (10-31-2015), cornelius967 (11-17-2019), Cory W (02-22-2016), felkebg (02-24-2016), firemon (02-22-2016), FYREANT (11-17-2015), HDLARRY (05-07-2016), Kent1999 (10-03-2016), L8ter (02-23-2016), pdpratt (02-22-2016), River Rat (02-23-2016) and 10 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 06-29-2015, 06:01 PM
Woodson
Le Mans Master

Received 1,357 Likes on 785 Posts

So much misinformation out there. Thanks for summarizing your findings.
Old 06-29-2015, 07:23 PM
C7DriverOnt
Pro

Received 119 Likes on 62 Posts

I think you will find that USB's must be FAT32. I tried mine with a 64gb thumb drive that was NTFS and it would not work. I believe the manual says it will work with NTFS. Converted it to FAT32 and all was well, had 45gb of music on it. I have seen this discussion a few times on this BB. Probably where the confusion lies as to SD cards and the formatting required.
Old 06-29-2015, 09:39 PM
c8nukeZ51
Racer

Received 73 Likes on 48 Posts

Great job,,,good info
Old 06-30-2015, 02:47 PM
autoxnut
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

Thanks for posting the info. There is indeed a dearth of accurate info on this topic. Based on the mention of a PDR, I presume you have a 2015? Do you think what you have posted is accurate for a 2014?

I have experienced horrible problems with playing music on my 2014 even though I was using approved media formatted to FAT32. My car was warehoused at the dealer for 9 days before I was informed it was working as designed. A call to GM implied my problem was bootlegged music. Since I am getting ready for another vacation, which is when the issue becomes most annoying, I decided to make a stab at tracking down my problem. I re-ripped all my CDs at 320kbps using Cyberlink DVD suite. I used Windows Explorer to review the metatdata and correct a few problems such as the song number. I then used Windows Media Player to find album info to have the album cover image and made sure the option was set to download permissions. After this, I loaded all the music to my 32 gig SD card and then used Playlist Creater 3.6.2 to create a single playlist to include all my songs. Upon inserting the SD card, the car started playing songs in order, as desired. My "unknown" album no longer exists and the other weird behavior appears to be gone. My theory, at this time, is that much of my problems were caused by a CD I had created by transferring music from my vinyl albums. This CD was not included on this burn of the SD card, because I could not find (obviously) album art for it.

My questions for you:

My album images are not showing up on the car, even though I verified they all exist in the metadata. What could cause this?

Some of my purchased CDs, particularly Christmas music, I was unable to find album art for using Windows media player. Is there another program or source of info that I can use to insure that I have the album art and permissions to play these?

Is there a way to validate a CD I have created from music copied from my vinyl albums?
Old 06-30-2015, 04:22 PM
ratman6161
Pro

Received 119 Likes on 57 Posts

Originally Posted by C7DriverOnt
I think you will find that USB's must be FAT32. I tried mine with a 64gb thumb drive that was NTFS and it would not work. I believe the manual says it will work with NTFS. Converted it to FAT32 and all was well, had 45gb of music on it. I have seen this discussion a few times on this BB. Probably where the confusion lies as to SD cards and the formatting required.
Mine may be different because its a 2014, but for SD cards, I've found just the opposite. It didn't like my 64 GB card when formatted FAT32 but it worked fine after I reformatted it to NTFS.
Old 06-30-2015, 05:01 PM
Len44
Racer

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 121 Likes on 72 Posts

NostraD, thanks for this post. Helpful. I have been looking for a good text on all this SD card and formatting and such, especially as it relates to Apple. When I get moved out to your area (soon), you will be my (very good) friend.

Many thanks.
Old 07-01-2015, 01:16 AM
kevincol
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 108 Likes on 66 Posts

thanks for the data! Greatly appreciated!
Old 10-27-2015, 01:24 PM
jcthorne
Drifting

Received 421 Likes on 240 Posts

Does anyone know what the limit is for number of tracks that can be fully indexed for voice command?
Old 10-27-2015, 04:40 PM
NostraD
Instructor

Originally Posted by jcthorne
Does anyone know what the limit is for number of tracks that can be fully indexed for voice command?
The first question our tech support staff generally asks our customers is... "Did you read the manual"?

Hope this helps (from the 2015 Infotainment Guide). Good Luck!

The following 3 users liked this post by NostraD:
cor28vettes (10-27-2015), jcthorne (10-27-2015), Mike Mercury (10-28-2015)
Old 10-27-2015, 04:49 PM
jcthorne
Drifting

Received 421 Likes on 240 Posts

^^^ Thanks. I did read the manual looking for this and must have completely missed it. Appreciate the help.

Last edited by Steve Garrett; 02-22-2016 at 11:22 PM. Reason: No need to requote the previous post, especially if you're the next person posting.
The following users liked this post:
NostraD (10-27-2015)
Old 10-27-2015, 04:57 PM
defaria
Safety Car

Received 1,203 Likes on 732 Posts

Can you tell me how I can get the system to categorize files as Podcasts or Audiobooks. Those selections exist there but are always empty. Somebody said it comes from MP3 tag information but they didn't way exactly which tag information needs to be there and what it needs to say.

Also, why is there no indexing of Bluetooth material? I could understand if it were not allowed or not possible but if so why does it show in the browse menu if it will never contain anything?!?
Old 10-30-2015, 03:18 PM
NostraD
Instructor

Originally Posted by defaria
Can you tell me how I can get the system to categorize files as Podcasts or Audiobooks. Those selections exist there but are always empty. Somebody said it comes from MP3 tag information but they didn't way exactly which tag information needs to be there and what it needs to say.

Also, why is there no indexing of Bluetooth material? I could understand if it were not allowed or not possible but if so why does it show in the browse menu if it will never contain anything?!?
I don't have Podcasts or Audiobooks on my SD Card. However, when it comes to tagging, I'm guessing you could/should tag them as such in the "Genre" field.

Bluetooth material does not index in the infotainment system. I don't know why, but I'm guessing it's because what you're seeing in the browse menu is simply a text listing from the device, not a searchable/indexable database. Just speculation on my part.

What I can fully confirm is that my same music content sounds WAY better being played via SD, as compared to streaming via stereo bluetooth from my device.

Good Luck!
Old 11-16-2015, 03:32 PM
Stentplacer
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 51 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by NostraD
Having just become a 1st time 'Vette owner less than a month ago, I'm relatively new to "The Club" and this forum. Wanting to learn as much as possible, I've been logging-on each day to read and absorb as much info as possible in addition to reading my manuals cover to cover. I've learned a lot and appreciate all the helpful info I've received. So, now it's time for me to start giving back with some info and help of my own.

Being a tech and audio guy, I was highly interested in all the optional ports and inputs for my audio collection. While I found a lot of info on the forums, I found that much of it was quite old, dating back to late 2013 and early 2014. Since then, I'm assuming a number of updates have taken place, rendering a lot of that previously posted information as being old, speculative, and/or incorrect. I did a lot of experimenting this weekend with many different options and thought I'd share some fresh information and successful results that will assist those interested in knowing their options when it comes to SD card options for Music storage with the Infotainment system. The following is a list of items I've confirmed as WORKING SUCCESSFULLY, despite seeing references to the contrary in other (older) forum areas. Please note that my system configuration is a 2015 Stingray 3LT w/Upgraded Bose System.

Infotainment SD Card Facts & Myths

1. Card Capacity: I've successfully loaded and am accessing my collection on a 128GB MicroSD card. Previous reports state a 32GB as being the capacity limit.

2. Card Format: The 128GB card I'm using is formatted in NTFS (FAT32 also works). Previous reports state the card must be in FAT32 format (true for PDR).

3. Card Size: The 128GB card I'm using is a MicroSD card, which is installed with a larger SD adapter. This configuration works just like a normal size SD card.

4. Card Config: The 128GB card I'm using is an SDXC Class 10 MicroSD. Previous reports state that SDXC cards do not work.

5. Music Quantity: The 128GB card I'm using is currently loaded with 13,850 songs from 1,804 albums by 1,416 different artists, using 72GB on the card.

6. Music Format: All my music is in MP3 format, with most converted at 192-320 or using Hi-Quality VBR. All files recognized and working, thus far.

7. Music Playlists: I've successfully loaded 40 Playlists in .M3U format. All are recognized by the system and play in the original order I set on my PC.

8. Sync/Transfer: I used the trusty old WinAmp software to sync my entire music collection and playlists to the MicroSD card. Many other options exist.

9. Voice Access: The number of songs (14K) I have does not allow voice searching by individual song, but voice search by Artist, Album, Playlist still works.

10. USB & SD: I've confirmed that the system will properly "merge" music content from two different sources (i.e.: Console SD & Behind Screen USB).

11. Gracenote: While it takes a while to process, the system and built-in Gracenote software successfully loaded all my tag data and album art.

12. Glove Box PDR SD: To be clear, the SD slot to the left of the glove box is exclusively for the PDR and must be formatted in FAT32 (MicroSD or SD is fine).

I really hope this updated information, based upon my experimentation and experience is helpful to anyone interested in leveraging the great technology and entertainment options in this awesome car. It's also important to note that my entire music collection is also available for seamless streaming from my Android LG G3, via Stereo Bluetooth. However, after extensive sound testing, I can tell you that the audio quality differences playing the same music tracks from internal SD/USB connections vs. stereo bluetooth streaming is very noticeable. The USB/SD direct file access provides a much clearer, brighter, and more expansive sound than streaming over bluetooth. The bluetooth streaming is not bad, but the direct file access is simply superior and (for me) worth the effort to format and set-up properly.

I'm also including a few pictures to support the comments and list I provided above. If there are any questions I can answer for anyone, I'll be happy to do so. Meanwhile, I hope opening this new thread provides everyone with a positive update on what they can (and can't) do with the music file options for their Infotainment system. --- Happy Listening, Everyone!
If I send you a blank card will you download your music library onto my card??
Old 11-17-2015, 01:52 PM
BIC
Pro

Received 39 Likes on 29 Posts
Default Official SD Card Formatter app

BTW, here is the official SD Card Formatter app link. The SD Association recommends using this rather than your computer for formatting. I have been using this in my PDR, haven't used one for music yet. Per the link below:

The SD Formatter was created specifically for memory cards using the SD/SDHC/SDXC standards. It is strongly recommended to use the SD Formatter instead of formatting utilities provided with operating systems that format various types of storage media. Using generic formatting utilities may result in less than optimal performance for your memory cards.

The SD/SDHC/SDXC memory cards have a "Protected Area" on the card for the SD standard's security function. The SD Formatter does not format the "Protected Area". Please use appropriate application software or SD-compatible device that provides SD security function to format the "Protected Area" in the memory card.

https://www.sdcard.org/downloads/formatter_4/

Last edited by BIC; 11-17-2015 at 01:57 PM.
The following users liked this post:
NostraD (11-17-2015)
Old 11-17-2015, 04:18 PM
NostraD
Instructor

Originally Posted by Stentplacer
If I send you a blank card will you download your music library onto my card??
Sure, "Stentplacer"... as long as the SD card you send is accompanied by a check for about 10-Grand, which would be a bargain price, considering the substantial financial investment I've personally made to build my music collection over many years... not to mention the numerous hours spent meticulously adding album art, properly tagging each track, along with cataloging each and every album, so they each seamlessly show up in a search and begin to play on-demand.

Let me know when the SD Card and... "the check is in the mail"!

PS: Of course, I'm being completely facetious with the above commentary and only joking about offering my personal music collection for sale (or for free) to anyone. --- Just making sure to be clear, just in case anyone from the RIAA is "Tuned In"!
Old 11-17-2015, 05:57 PM
C7-Beast
Safety Car

Received 331 Likes on 201 Posts

Sure, "Stentplacer"... as long as the SD card you send is accompanied by a check for about 10-Grand, which would be a bargain price, considering the substantial financial investment I've personally made to build my music collection over many years... not to mention the numerous hours spent meticulously adding album art, properly tagging each track, along with cataloging each and every album, so they each seamlessly show up in a search and begin to play on-demand.

PS: Of course, I'm being completely facetious with the above commentary and only joking about offering my personal music collection for sale (or for free) to anyone. --- Just making sure to be clear, just in case anyone from the RIAA is "Tuned In"!
I agree! I loaded ~800 CD's one at a time in the early 2003. I had the sense to rip in lossless so I still use that library daily. Over 500 GB of music.

As has been said, all you need to do to get large SD's to work is to format using FAT32.
Thought NTFS was total proprietary to Microsoft. Odd that NTFS would work as the system is not MS based.

Get notified of new replies

To Updated SD Card Infotainment Facts & Myths --- Too much old/incorrect info found

Old 11-17-2015, 07:39 PM
Stentplacer
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 51 Likes on 31 Posts

Ok...if you show in my Cath Lab with a massive heart attack... I'll be sure to make sure that check is good! Only kidding of course:-)
Old 11-17-2015, 07:43 PM
Woodson
Le Mans Master

Received 1,357 Likes on 785 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike02Z
I agree! I loaded ~800 CD's one at a time in the early 2003. I had the sense to rip in lossless so I still use that library daily. Over 500 GB of music..
Me too but about 1200 CD's. Unfortunately I did not have the same sense as you. Been putting off re-ripping in lossless for about 12 years.
Old 11-18-2015, 11:08 AM
Mike Mercury
Team Owner

Received 173 Likes on 107 Posts

thanks for all that info in one post.

1. Previous reports state a 32GB as being the capacity limit.
I don't think I ever read anyone here claim that 32gb was a "limit"; just that this is the size suggested my GM. But, that is easily misunderstood too.

In actuality, the 32gb suggestion is to limit the amount of songs that the system can handle at any one time. I read it before on CF, but can't find it at the moment - that once you get up to ... say... 4000 songs (I don't remember the specific number mentioned) that the infortainment system may exibit strange behavior.

The 32gb isn't actually a hardware limit, it's a roundabout way to keep you from breeching the playback software limitation.

Quick Reply: Updated SD Card Infotainment Facts & Myths --- Too much old/incorrect info found