Sponsored by:

Buying a Ron Fellows Driving School C7

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2015, 07:29 AM
TBF
Instructor

Received 39 Likes on 28 Posts
Default Buying a Ron Fellows Driving School C7

Has anyone bought one of the many C7s that have never been registered but have been driven as a "DEMO" at the Chevy sponsored Ron Fellows Driving School? Would like to know if it was a good deal or bad choice due to limited warranty and possible abuse? The cars look very nice but you can't see inside the Drive Train, Suspension, Steering or brakes. All blocked on the limited warranty.
Old 07-08-2015, 08:09 AM
kenrobb
Drifting

Received 217 Likes on 85 Posts

Now that's a used car for sure. Have you watched any videos from the school? Might be a good car if you were going to make it into a race car. With the warr blocked on the main items, you should have some means to be able to work on these items yourself. Unless the price is really low for a well used car, I would be looking for a better used car from someone else.
Old 07-08-2015, 08:23 AM
traronf
Racer

Received 133 Likes on 93 Posts

They are well maintained but it depends upon how particular you are about the car you are buying. As a non titled car it is treated as new from a warranty standpoint, but they are driven hard at the school and it is encouraged that you take advantage of the capabilities of the car. If that does not bother you it may be a good deal, but not for me.
Old 07-08-2015, 08:32 AM
rcooper
Safety Car

Received 676 Likes on 480 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15

MY good friend, Steve, did this a couple of years ago. Although it was a C6 loaded version. The car had 2750 miles on it and was well maintained, and had no visible damage. The dealer selling it let him take it for a day for testing. Took it to a mechanic and had it gone through. He ended up buying the car and drove it for 4 years without any trouble. He bought a warranty in the aftermarket for the full coverage 3 year 36,000 miles which cost him like $3,500 at that time.
I would think that if you were willing to spend a little time having the car checked over and found a good warranty that it would be a nice deal, He paid about 70% of what a like equipped car on the used car lot would be.
Old 07-08-2015, 09:10 AM
pickleseimer
Drifting

Received 321 Likes on 212 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23

I was mildly impressed by how the cars were maintained when I went to SM in April. The cars were clean all the time. The tires, brakes, suspension, exhaust and accessories worked and no odd sounds from any car I drove. One car had a check engine light on but they were not concerned when I mentioned it and the car performed as expected.

They said the cars are broken in the first 1500 miles via street driving before used on the track. So proper break-in too. The only added accessory I saw was a 2-way radio in each car but I would bet they just ran that through the factory audio system AUX port. The school replaces the tires with Michlelin, uses Mobil 1, but replaces the factory brakes with Hawk IIRC after the factory brakes are consumed. I came away thinking these cars are rugged performers after watching a few of the antics of some of the drivers. I would think if the price were right and you could get it checked out mechanically, you could get a decent car, especially if you wanted to regularly track it.
The following users liked this post:
vettenevodrvr (08-21-2018)
Old 07-08-2015, 10:39 AM
Jimbob26
Burning Brakes

Received 81 Likes on 64 Posts

At Sm, we asked about the resale aspect of the cars. We were told the cars were all sold to an LA-area dealer and marketed under 'full disclosure'. In that the cars are extremely durable, under warranty, and well cared-for, they could be be a great deal, given the right price. Most of the cars I drove at SM were 2LT or 3LT, some had the comp seats as well. One would think at ~70% of new car cost (say $65k sticker, but you pay $45k), it would be a great deal indeed.
Old 07-08-2015, 10:45 AM
beepster
Melting Slicks

Received 50 Likes on 30 Posts

You should attend the RF driving school prior to making a purchase decision. You can then make a first hand judgement on use/abuse and maintenance...
Old 07-08-2015, 11:00 AM
HighTeq
Racer

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

If it is the one I drove, I'd select another. I put it through it's paces. On the other hand, they maintain those cars better than most.
Old 07-08-2015, 11:32 AM
beepster
Melting Slicks

Received 50 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by HighTeq
If it is the one I drove, I'd select another. I put it through it's paces. On the other hand, they maintain those cars better than most.
Exactly my point...wouldn't buy the one I drove either...
Old 07-08-2015, 11:37 AM
Al Engel
Pro

Received 256 Likes on 95 Posts

I discussed the dispossition of Spring Mountain vehicles at length with a few of the Spring Mountain Staff. As a banker, responsible for my Bank's consumer loan protfolios (including auto loans), I was very interested in who owned the cars at the school (GM or SM owned), how often they are cycled in and out of the program, how they are ordered and how they are diposed of.... What I learned is as follows:
At any given time there is a combination of GM owned and SM owned vehicles on site.
The GM owned vehicles are cycled in and out by GM and GM controls what happens to the vehicle when it leaves SM.
The SM owned vehicle are ordered direct from GM by SM and delivered directly to SM (not passing through a dealer).
All cars are maintained on site except for major warrantee covered failures which go to a chevy dealer for attention.
SM owned cars are cycled out generally before 12K miles and are maintained as close to 'like new' as possible (brakes, tires, fluids and suspension components, if necesary).
They are wholesaled to California dealers, without factory warrantee where they are then re-sold to the public with full disclosure of their history. The re-selleing dealer will generally append an aftermarket warrantee to the vehicle.
All the above is based on what I was told - I have not made any attemept to verify the information, but it all sounded 'reasonable' to me. Very interesting business model.
Old 07-08-2015, 12:53 PM
Skidplate
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 207 Likes on 122 Posts

Originally Posted by Jimbob26
At Sm, we asked about the resale aspect of the cars. We were told the cars were all sold to an LA-area dealer and marketed under 'full disclosure'. In that the cars are extremely durable, under warranty, and well cared-for, they could be be a great deal, given the right price. Most of the cars I drove at SM were 2LT or 3LT, some had the comp seats as well. One would think at ~70% of new car cost (say $65k sticker, but you pay $45k), it would be a great deal indeed.
When I attended Spring Mountain in early May, I was told that that SM was able to sell the used Corvettes from the driving school for about what they paid for them. They get a large discount on new cars as they come with no manufacturers drive-train warranty. The reseller adds a warranty when he resells them. Or course, SM cleans them prior to selling - new tires, brakes, fluids, etc.
Old 07-08-2015, 12:59 PM
Woodson
Le Mans Master

Received 1,365 Likes on 790 Posts

Possible abuse?
Old 07-08-2015, 01:19 PM
rudolph schenker
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 233 Likes on 134 Posts

Originally Posted by beepster
You should attend the RF driving school prior to making a purchase decision. You can then make a first hand judgement on use/abuse and maintenance...
Old 07-08-2015, 01:19 PM
TBF
Instructor

Received 39 Likes on 28 Posts

Gentleman
Thank you for the quick response. I appreciate everyones comments. I do plan to track the car but I am a little concerned about one that has been driven hard by guys that were driving it like they stole it. Out of the reply's two of you made the comment that you would not buy a car that you drove!! Seriously! Did you over rev it, run off the asphalt, Drop it a gear to low and pop the clutch? That would concern me. If you drove it smart but fast I would feel good about it if the price is wright. Thanks again for your frankness. By the way the one I am interested in is a 2015 Lugna Blue with competition seats and manual trans. Is this the one you guys ragged out?
Old 07-08-2015, 01:31 PM
jcp911s
Melting Slicks

Received 1,583 Likes on 795 Posts

Another take on this.

If I were planning to track the car, I get a car with a fully disclosed track history, a warranty, and a 'track record" (no pun, of course), that it was up to the task with no failures... and if I have a claim, nobody can say... "gees this car was tracked", and deny the claim.

In addition, if you buy a new, or late-model used car and then track it, it will likely reduce its resale value if the next buyer finds out, so in effect, you are getting this depreciation in your pocket.

If its just a street cruiser, that's a different issue.
Old 07-08-2015, 03:04 PM
Z06 1of38
Drifting

Received 677 Likes on 333 Posts

Would you marry a former **** star?

It's kind of like that...all the crazy, wild stuff you've ever wanted to do, you do on one that isn't yours.
Old 07-08-2015, 03:10 PM
C7flossin
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Z06 1of38
Would you marry a former **** star?

It's kind of like that...all the crazy, wild stuff you've ever wanted to do, you do on one that isn't yours.
hahaha THIS!! I wouldnt do anything that so many people had their chance with...even with cars

Get notified of new replies

To Buying a Ron Fellows Driving School C7

Old 07-08-2015, 04:12 PM
zcobra1
Burning Brakes

Received 81 Likes on 52 Posts

I looked at some c6's Z from Spring Mountain a few years back,
being resold in Anaheim, while they looked alright, and they had full
disclosures, they were only about 10% cheaper than buying one
from a private party.....

For the $5-6K "savings" I saw, and then having to purchase a warranty
to compare apples to apples with a warrantied PP car, just not worth it
for the few thousand saved. I passed......

Also, check into if the details of the school use end up on Carfax,
if so, be prepared to take a hit on that at resale.
The following users liked this post:
VT-Rider (08-27-2018)
Old 07-08-2015, 06:42 PM
Skialta
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '14-'15

sorry, BUT , what exactly is the warranty being offered on the car? if remainder , then, its been beat, and if price is aggressively low, grab her by da, and take her home.
Old 07-08-2015, 07:06 PM
sanantguy
Burning Brakes

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by TBF
Has anyone bought one of the many C7s that have never been registered but have been driven as a "DEMO" at the Chevy sponsored Ron Fellows Driving School? Would like to know if it was a good deal or bad choice due to limited warranty and possible abuse? The cars look very nice but you can't see inside the Drive Train, Suspension, Steering or brakes. All blocked on the limited warranty.
possible abuse? hahahahahaha all those cars get driven is hard and abused.

Quick Reply: Buying a Ron Fellows Driving School C7