Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Another C7 Z06 Crashes on Track

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2015, 08:32 AM
C7s
Burning Brakes

Received 274 Likes on 127 Posts

OP thanks for the very informative post! You seem really familiar with the different PTM modes. I have a few questions:

If left in Track mode without activating PTM is that = DRY?
SPORT 1= Comp Mode without PTM?
Weather Mode=WET?

Are Tour/Sport/Track Modes equal intervention? Until PTM is activated?
Old 07-14-2015, 08:43 AM
Ernest_T
Drifting

Received 106 Likes on 78 Posts

Those pics of the Z06 with the grass all over the hood reminds me of pictures I see of motorcycles with mud and grass all over the side after running off the road.
Old 07-14-2015, 08:56 AM
Jedi-Jurist
Pro

Received 141 Likes on 72 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15

Originally Posted by C7s
OP thanks for the very informative post! You seem really familiar with the different PTM modes. I have a few questions:

If left in Track mode without activating PTM is that = DRY?
SPORT 1= Comp Mode without PTM?
Weather Mode=WET?

Are Tour/Sport/Track Modes equal intervention? Until PTM is activated?
Not sure I totally understand your question, but let me try. PTM is only possible in Track mode; in the other modes (and without activating PTM in Track mode), you will get regular stability and traction control, which is much more intrusive than the PTM in Sport 1 or even Dry.

If you leave the dial in Track without pushing twice to activate PTM, you are keeping on the standard traction and stability control. I did this on track once (forgot to activate PTM) and it was maddeningly overactive, and every time it activated, you saw the car with the swerving tires symbol on the PDR.

Sport 2 and Race will allow you a total spin. Sport 1 will allow you some tail hanging out before it saves you, Dry a little less, Wet even less than that. The system works great and makes you look like a better driver than you probably are, but so does the rev matching and the lateral G capability of this car. Spring Mountain keeps their students in Sport 1 all the time.

And if you're having trouble activating PTM, you're probably pushing the button too quickly. It's two presses, not a double tap. Once you're in PTM, you don't need to double press anymore - doing so will turn PTM off. Simply turn the dial and you'll switch between the different PTM modes. This is what I do after 3-4 laps when I want Sport 2 or Race.
Old 07-14-2015, 09:06 AM
C7s
Burning Brakes

Received 274 Likes on 127 Posts

Thanks for the explanation. So Track Mode doesn't lessen Stab/trac at all until you go into PTM. Good to know. Final question. If you were drag racing what mode would you use? Including for burnout. Thanks!
Old 07-14-2015, 09:27 AM
RLCullum
Instructor

Received 34 Likes on 17 Posts

Wow. Very small run-off area between the track and the wall. Personally, I would just go there for fun and run well within my comfort level. If I were racing or going for max speed I would either want to be a pro (which I am not) or run on a far better (lots more run-off space) track.
Old 07-14-2015, 09:35 AM
TBF
Instructor

Received 39 Likes on 28 Posts

Can you tell me more about track insurance?
Old 07-14-2015, 03:02 PM
jcp911s
Melting Slicks

Received 1,583 Likes on 795 Posts

All these traction control/stability control, etc devices are useful, but every car has an ultimate limit.

Skilled drivers know how to drive the car at that limit without them, and use the electronics to correct for small mistakes...

Unfortunately, for novice drivers, these allow them to drive way beyond their skill, and when the car finally does spin, they are so over their head, an accident is almost inevitable.
Old 07-14-2015, 03:02 PM
droideka
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Crossed Flags Fan
yup, spoken like a real a## h*&^!
drive an auto, huh?

please explain how i'm an ******* for speaking the honest truth about learning race craft. why don't you tell me about the numerous spec classes for cars with auto transmissions.

Old 07-14-2015, 03:15 PM
jcp911s
Melting Slicks

Received 1,583 Likes on 795 Posts

Originally Posted by TBF
Track insurance is typically very expensive, and generally uses a declared value/deductible... it is really just "catastrophic loss" insurance.

For example, I may insure my C7 for $60K, with a $10K deductible... the premium could be around $500 for the weekend... in an accident such as above, I'm still on hook for the repairs, but if the car gets totaled, I'm only out $10K.

Most track junkies are self-insured... IMHO, don't track a car if you cannot afford to total it.

For a Novice driver looking to do 1-2 events per year for fun, chances are you won't be going fast enough to wreck... but any time you're on the track, you are at risk, and most street insurance companies are unlikely to cover track related damage.

You can shop around... its really a personal risk/reward decision.
Old 07-14-2015, 06:28 PM
Crossed Flags Fan
Melting Slicks

Received 493 Likes on 276 Posts

Originally Posted by droideka
drive an auto, huh?

please explain how i'm an ******* for speaking the honest truth about learning race craft. why don't you tell me about the numerous spec classes for cars with auto transmissions.

How in the world does which class of automobile racing uses autotrans when the post is about a SCCA's Track Night? And yes, nearly all drag cars are auto and F1 cars have a version of an automatic gearbox.
BTW I've raced Auto and Stick....have a C6 Z06, 1996 Collector's Ed LT4 (now my son's due to aging knees) in addition to auto C7 and '95 C4 and 5th Gen Camaro. Check out my avatar. I've driven on more tracks in 40+ years of competition driving than you've probably dreamed of in both and have the trophies to prove it using both.
"Truth? You can't handle the truth"!
So yea you're an A## H*&^! for making this obviously childish and sophomoric remark.
You've been corrected and on behalf of autotrans drivers and racers apology accepted.

Last edited by Crossed Flags Fan; 07-14-2015 at 06:32 PM.
Old 07-14-2015, 06:41 PM
cheapthrills
Melting Slicks

Received 441 Likes on 292 Posts

I was at a SCAA track night America event last Thursday at PBIR. A nice dodge charge took it into the wall head on. The drivers wife was passenger in the car and took an airbag to the face. Car was not drivable after. This was in the advanced group.

I looked into track insurance for my car. $50,000 worth of insurance with 10k deductible was $460. I opted to go naked.

BTW everyone the insurance only covers your car, not anything else. You take out another car or whatever you are not covered. Really crappy insurance.
Old 07-14-2015, 07:14 PM
AORoads
Team Owner

Received 2,481 Likes on 1,944 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15
"In honor of jpee"

Wasthat Charge a manual or automatic? Hope the two in the car weren't hurt.
Old 07-14-2015, 09:11 PM
cheapthrills
Melting Slicks

Received 441 Likes on 292 Posts

Originally Posted by AORoads
IDK what tranny type but both where able to walk away without medical treatment.
Old 07-14-2015, 09:52 PM
stingraymyway
Race Director

Location: Out of Site...Out of Mind. Corvette: anything else is just transportation.
Received 134 Likes on 103 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20

Ouch! Definitely could've been worse.
What's the fella want for the Stingray cover?
Old 07-14-2015, 10:41 PM
Jedi-Jurist
Pro

St. Jude Donor '15

Originally Posted by AORoads
It was an auto, no injuries. Guy in the Pink Floyd shirt was the driver. The red Z06 was an M7, he had no issues. Mine is also an M7.
Old 07-14-2015, 10:44 PM
Jedi-Jurist
Pro

St. Jude Donor '15

Originally Posted by TBF
Check out Lockton Motorsports insurance (that's who I use). What others say is true, it is expensive and there is a big deductible, but it does give you peace of mind that if the brakes go out or something else goes wrong (or some idiot wrecks into you), you're not totally screwed. If you buy a multi-event policy, it gets somewhat cheaper (and you don't pay any track premium - some tracks cost more than others based on their history, but you don't get hit with that buying a multi-event policy), and you'll get a discount if you belong to one of many clubs (SCCA, NCM, Audi-Club, PCA, etc).
Old 07-14-2015, 10:44 PM
Jedi-Jurist
Pro

St. Jude Donor '15

Originally Posted by stingraymyway
Ouch! Definitely could've been worse.
What's the fella want for the Stingray cover?
I already had one, so I didn't ask. I'll see if I can get him on here.

Get notified of new replies

To Another C7 Z06 Crashes on Track

Old 07-14-2015, 10:47 PM
Jedi-Jurist
Pro

St. Jude Donor '15

Originally Posted by C7s
Thanks for the explanation. So Track Mode doesn't lessen Stab/trac at all until you go into PTM. Good to know. Final question. If you were drag racing what mode would you use? Including for burnout. Thanks!
Correct, it will just change the mag ride dampers, exhaust mode and throttle/steering response. I don't really drag race, but Sport 1 works fine for burnouts, and if something goes really awry, it won't spin.
Old 07-15-2015, 12:23 AM
dvandentop
Race Director

Received 583 Likes on 242 Posts

looks like he can even possibly pop out the bumper cover
Old 07-15-2015, 01:03 AM
droideka
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Crossed Flags Fan
How in the world does which class of automobile racing uses autotrans when the post is about a SCCA's Track Night? And yes, nearly all drag cars are auto and F1 cars have a version of an automatic gearbox.
BTW I've raced Auto and Stick....have a C6 Z06, 1996 Collector's Ed LT4 (now my son's due to aging knees) in addition to auto C7 and '95 C4 and 5th Gen Camaro. Check out my avatar. I've driven on more tracks in 40+ years of competition driving than you've probably dreamed of in both and have the trophies to prove it using both.
"Truth? You can't handle the truth"!
So yea you're an A## H*&^! for making this obviously childish and sophomoric remark.
You've been corrected and on behalf of autotrans drivers and racers apology accepted.
you sure schooled me, OG racer! thanks for the education on F1. i've only been following that series since andretti piloted the gorgeous john player lotus, but i might be out of touch with them new-fangled auto gearboxes. /end sarcasm/

sounds like YOU of all people would understand the importance of learning car control, of learning heel/toe downshifts, of learning to settle the car before turn in, managing throttle through the apex, tracking out and always looking through the next series of corners. the play-by-play here indicates repeatedly that the Z06 had zero talent to match his car's performance and even defeated all of his nannies to reach corvette nirvana, but i'm the assh*le suggesting that auto cars on track days are usually talent-less clowns.

novices in hi-perf cars with auto trannies who think track time is jabbing the brakes and stabbing the loud pedal have NO BUSINESS at track events, or HPDEs in any group OTHER than the novice group until they prove otherwise. that's my OPINION and YOU don't have to like it.

Quick Reply: Another C7 Z06 Crashes on Track