Sponsored by:

Grinding sound from clutch on release?

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2017, 11:23 AM
Boomscatty
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Johniorio4
I have posted about this previously but feel I didn't accurately describe the problem I'm having. As I take off in first gear from a dead stop and release the clutch, a noise that I can only describe as something grinding occurs, maybe 25-30% of the time. I took the car to the local dealership and was told that they did not see anything wrong, nor were they able to replicate the issue. I have been told by friends it may be something to do with the throwout bearing or possibly the flywheel. Any of you guys have this issue/know what I may be experiencing? It's getting really annoying and I would like to be able to offer up some suggestions to the dealer as to what the problem is.

Here is a video of the issue

https://www.dropbox.com/s/xostuiknbj...15542.mp4?dl=0

Thanks,
John
Did you ever figure out what this was? I have a 2014 with 11K miles that is doing the exact same thing.
Old 04-17-2017, 11:40 AM
Larry/car
Race Director

Received 621 Likes on 423 Posts

My 2014 with around 7,000 miles started to make light grind like noise on clutch application during acceleration (I could feel a vibration through the clutch petal). I decided to change the clutch fluid (ranger method) and the noise/vibration went away.
The following 2 users liked this post by Larry/car:
alexsoo (04-27-2017), Boomscatty (04-17-2017)
Old 04-17-2017, 05:33 PM
Carqwik
Advanced

Received 24 Likes on 17 Posts

What is the "ranger method?" New C7 owner here...
Old 04-18-2017, 11:08 AM
wgood
Drifting

Received 73 Likes on 65 Posts

Does this occur when you are using regular drive or rev matching or both ???? Wayne
Old 04-18-2017, 11:10 AM
Boomscatty
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by wgood
Does this occur when you are using regular drive or rev matching or both ???? Wayne
I know when it has happened I was using rev matching before hand. The noise only happens in 1st gear from a start under load from what I can tell.
Old 04-18-2017, 11:48 AM
Foosh
Team Owner

Received 16,668 Likes on 8,311 Posts

Originally Posted by Carqwik
What is the "ranger method?" New C7 owner here...
Here's your answer along w/ a video made by Ranger. This is from a C6, but it's done exactly the same way on the C7. I use this method religiously, and it's a very easy way to keep your clutch operating very smoothly.

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...al-issues.html
Old 04-18-2017, 01:15 PM
Carqwik
Advanced

Thanks for that link...looks pretty easy. Why does he say it takes 2 hours? Looked like a 15 minute job...

Also, not sure why the video also had a can of DOT4 brake fluid as being part of the job...??
Old 04-18-2017, 08:28 PM
javenius
Racer

Received 152 Likes on 100 Posts

Owners manual calls for hydraulic clutch fluid use GM Part No. 19299570 DOT4 brake fluid.
The following users liked this post:
Carqwik (04-18-2017)
Old 04-18-2017, 08:30 PM
Carqwik
Advanced

Thanks for the info...

I read through the entire "Ranger Method" posts and now understand that DOT4 brake fluid can be used for the clutch...he specifically recommends the Prestone.

Great information. This is a very helpful forum to newbies like me!
Old 04-18-2017, 11:36 PM
Foosh
Team Owner

It doesn't take 2 hours. 30 minutes should be enough to exchange 10 bowls worth of dirty with clean and clutch pumping in between. It may not be perfectly clean but good enough. Ranger was probably being just very OCD about it.

After you do the more thorough procedure, you can then just exchange a bowl full once a month or so. No need to even bother pumping the clutch as driving will take care of that. If you do that, the fluid will stay clean enough to keep you trouble-free.
Old 04-18-2017, 11:56 PM
WelderGuy
Burning Brakes

Received 157 Likes on 98 Posts

The "Ranger Method" probably got its name from the Ford Ranger pickups, which were plagued with clutch problems when Ford switched to concentric slave cylinders. Similar problems afflicted owners of Nissan 350Zs after they switched to CSCs in 2007 and continued in the 370Zs. The problem was exacerbated by a hump in the hydraulic tubing inside the bell housing that made it extremely difficult to get all the air out of the system.

Why any engineer would think a hydraulic cylinder might work reliably in the hellacious environment inside a clutch bell housing is a mystery. In addition to the heat and highly abrasive dust, the seal in the CSC sweeps an area much larger than in an external slave cylinder.

My guess is they made the change to save a little weight to help meet CAFE standards and maybe a little in assembly costs.
Old 04-19-2017, 12:07 AM
Foosh
Team Owner

No, the name, as used here, was from a CF member, whose screen name is Ranger. He lived in Maryland, and I had the pleasure of meeting him. He's still listed as a member here, but hasn't posted since 2013.

Ranger was the first guy to get a bone stock C6 Z06 into the 10s, and I think he also held the record for best 1/4 mile time on the C5 Z06. He loved the drag strip and was there often. Given that kind of use, he learned quickly that clean clutch fluid was the only way to keep his C5/C6 clutches from getting sticky and sometimes staying on the floor. He was meticulous about logging all his techniques, environmental conditions, etc., and extracting max acceleration performance out of the car. He was also a great driver.

He came up with the idea of doing a quick and easy fluid exchange without having to jack the car up, remove tunnel plates, etc. He started doing it between runs, brought it to the forum, and it has kinda caught on and become a bit of a legend here. It works, and really does improve clutch smoothness and performance if you keep up with it.

Last edited by Foosh; 04-19-2017 at 12:24 AM.
Old 04-25-2017, 04:08 PM
evil chevy
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The same issue just started for me too.
But also grinding downshifting from 5th to 4th or 4th to 3rd.
Going to try the "ranger Method" but still pretty concern about this issue.
Ddi anyone got a final answer from a dealer about the issue??
Old 04-25-2017, 06:40 PM
speedlink
Safety Car

Received 599 Likes on 373 Posts

Originally Posted by evil chevy
The same issue just started for me too.
But also grinding downshifting from 5th to 4th or 4th to 3rd.
Going to try the "ranger Method" but still pretty concern about this issue.
Ddi anyone got a final answer from a dealer about the issue??
Very likely dirty clutch fluid! As you said, use the ranger method to put in new and clean clutch fluid. It normally fixes most of the reported problems. Even a clutch that stays on the floor while shifting.
Old 04-27-2017, 04:40 PM
evil chevy
Instructor

Did the fluid change yesterday, it was black but not full of dust.
If the shifting feel better the grinding noise when downshifting is this there.
Planing to trip to the dealer but don'd have much hope and feel that my vette will be there for a while and end up on a cheap rental
If anybody have any other advices on what to check, let me know
Old 04-27-2017, 04:48 PM
Thunder22
Team Owner

Received 2,311 Likes on 1,456 Posts

Originally Posted by evil chevy
Did the fluid change yesterday, it was black but not full of dust.
If the shifting feel better the grinding noise when downshifting is this there.
Planing to trip to the dealer but don'd have much hope and feel that my vette will be there for a while and end up on a cheap rental
If anybody have any other advices on what to check, let me know
I've had a similar problem that started back in november and I tried to replicate it so that i could show the dealer service manager, but since the weather has warmed up, it's not doing it any longer.

it sounded like it was coming from the middle rear, hence the name of the thread i started:

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...lsd-whine.html
Old 05-17-2017, 09:42 PM
evil chevy
Instructor

Some update from my issue.
As the dealer couldn't find the problem they had to contact chevy main office who advised them to replace the torque tube.
Picked up the car to find out that the downshifting grinding was still there but not as often and ended up with a winding noise from the rear axle and a strong vibration in the shifter and to end a "service Rear Axle" message.
Took the vette back to them today, they cleared the code and wanted to me take my car back without addressing other issue.
I refused and they asked me to come see the service manager tomorrow.
it is a joke. they make me look like I don't want my car back, which I do as driving there Cruise loaner car doesn't really make me happy, nice to have a loaner but downgrading from vette to a cruise is not ideal, not even talking about showing up to a business client lunch in Beverly Hills with a Cruise is not that great. I miss the time when I had my 911 and was getting another Porsche as a loaner.
So after getting my car back for 5 days I end up with even more issue than I had before I dropped the car to the dealer.
And don't really appreciate the way I've been treated has the only thing I'm asking is to fix my car from all the problems and having it back in the same condition than before this all story start.
Sorry, I am pissed off and wanted to share my frustration.
I'll follow up on this tread with the progress on "hopefully" fixing those issue.

Get notified of new replies

To Grinding sound from clutch on release?

Old 05-24-2017, 02:59 AM
okaythen
Melting Slicks

Received 166 Likes on 148 Posts

I don't have grinding sound but I think I have some issues with the clutch, I just got the z06 from the dealer today. During upshifts the clutch feels like there are some other pieces loose, like hitting the clutch, something loose. I can feel it in the leg. This isn't normal right? I should get it checked out? also Even when warmed up it still does that.

Oh yeah the clutch seems really low, I mean the friction point. And 3.5 hours of driving I stalled it 7 times. (my other car I think I stalled it once or twice in 4 years)happens mostly when I don't give it any gas, it's hard to feel where it catches or seems like it just stalls. When I gas it it's usually fine, but I think you should be able to clutch it in without using the gas right?

also the shifter feels great no problem there, nice and smooth, not clunky nor notchy.

After driving it for 3.5 hours I parked it and I can hear some noise coming from the rear, rear center area I think transmission area. The noise sounded like when you pour out liquid from a 2 liter of bottle, sounded kind of like that. went on for awhile maybe 15 min. Didn't go hard on the car at all and checked tranny fluid it was around 180, other temps seemed ok too. Do you guys also get that noise is that normal.

With AC on the front of the car is really loud right? I mean REALLY LOUD, today it was really hot but with AC on the front of the car was really loud, I thought something was wrong. Turned off AC and it got much better.

thanks for reading/help
Old 05-24-2017, 09:37 AM
Thunder22
Team Owner

Received 2,311 Likes on 1,456 Posts

Originally Posted by okaythen
I don't have grinding sound but I think I have some issues with the clutch, I just got the z06 from the dealer today. During upshifts the clutch feels like there are some other pieces loose, like hitting the clutch, something loose. I can feel it in the leg. This isn't normal right? I should get it checked out? also Even when warmed up it still does that.

Oh yeah the clutch seems really low, I mean the friction point. And 3.5 hours of driving I stalled it 7 times. (my other car I think I stalled it once or twice in 4 years)happens mostly when I don't give it any gas, it's hard to feel where it catches or seems like it just stalls. When I gas it it's usually fine, but I think you should be able to clutch it in without using the gas right?

also the shifter feels great no problem there, nice and smooth, not clunky nor notchy.

After driving it for 3.5 hours I parked it and I can hear some noise coming from the rear, rear center area I think transmission area. The noise sounded like when you pour out liquid from a 2 liter of bottle, sounded kind of like that. went on for awhile maybe 15 min. Didn't go hard on the car at all and checked tranny fluid it was around 180, other temps seemed ok too. Do you guys also get that noise is that normal.

With AC on the front of the car is really loud right? I mean REALLY LOUD, today it was really hot but with AC on the front of the car was really loud, I thought something was wrong. Turned off AC and it got much better.

thanks for reading/help
It sounds like you have a different problem, entirely. I would suggest that you start a new thread so that the problems don't get mixed, as your car's issue sounds very different.
Old 05-28-2017, 02:33 PM
evil chevy
Instructor

quick update...
My vette has been with the dealer for about 3 weeks now.
They have no idea what the problem is.
They plugged microphone to the chassis, trans and other points and could here a grinding noise form the transmission and a whining noise from the front, but cant figure what it is.
So I'm stuck with the loaner car, had to cancel going to cruise in the canyon this week end.
Looks like this vette is going to be part exchange sooner than later, if they manage to fix it.

Quick Reply: Grinding sound from clutch on release?