C7 General Discussion General C7 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

To Buy . . . Or not to buy . . . (Purchase C6? C7?)

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2015, 09:39 PM
greanie
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default To Buy . . . Or not to buy . . . (Purchase C6? C7?)

Hello all,

This is my first post (Other than my intro ad), and im not sure if this is the right place or if this has been discussed.

I feel as though im looking for some opinions (Kind of fishing with that comment as most forums are just opinion holders) . . . along with some facts.

MAIN QUESTION:
Im looking to buy a Corvette that will be my first. Im not sure if i should buy a C6 or C7. I have a buddy that can get me a good deal on a C7 (Employee Discount), but i like the C6 Grand Sport . . . .

As a first corvette should i go with the newest (due to warranty), or would i be best with an older model (2013 if you can call that old).

Again not sure if this is the right forum, And i do appreciate all the help, but how would you all guess the cost of a maintaining and owning a vette is compared to other vehicles you own.

Im sure i will have more questions that will be fed off of responses but this should get the ball rolling.
Please point me to a more correct forum if needed. And to previous posts that i was unable to find using the search tool.
Old 07-14-2015, 09:42 PM
SteveMcGuire
Instructor

Received 23 Likes on 14 Posts

It might be helpful if you indicate how much money you can afforD to spend

Originally Posted by greanie
Hello all,

This is my first post (Other than my intro ad), and im not sure if this is the right place or if this has been discussed.

I feel as though im looking for some opinions (Kind of fishing with that comment as most forums are just opinion holders) . . . along with some facts.

MAIN QUESTION:
Im looking to buy a Corvette that will be my first. Im not sure if i should buy a C6 or C7. I have a buddy that can get me a good deal on a C7 (Employee Discount), but i like the C6 Grand Sport . . . .

As a first corvette should i go with the newest (due to warranty), or would i be best with an older model (2013 if you can call that old).

Again not sure if this is the right forum, And i do appreciate all the help, but how would you all guess the cost of a maintaining and owning a vette is compared to other vehicles you own.

Im sure i will have more questions that will be fed off of responses but this should get the ball rolling.
Please point me to a more correct forum if needed. And to previous posts that i was unable to find using the search tool.
Old 07-14-2015, 10:00 PM
mpuzach
Race Director

Received 1,190 Likes on 594 Posts

Be prepared for opinions that will be all over the board. My first Corvette was a 2005 (first year C6) that I bought new and kept for nine years. It was a FANTASTIC car that I loved the entire time I owned it. I can say with absolute confidence that you'll be very happy with a 2013.

About 10 months ago I traded my beloved 2005 Z51 coupe for a new 2015 Stingray with Z51. As much as I loved my C6, this C7 blows it out of the water in every possible way. I prefer everything about the C7 over the C6. Never mind looks as they're completely subjective. The C7 feels better, rides better, is quicker, is better built, and is better equipped than any C6 ever built. It's simply a superior car. It'll also cost you more.

In an absolute sense, the C6 is a great car. The C7 is simply much better IMO.
Old 07-14-2015, 10:04 PM
juanvaldez
Team Owner

Received 493 Likes on 364 Posts

If I had $40k to spend I would buy a '10-'13 manual GS coupe, $45k a '09-'13 Z06. I plan to get a cheap '16, Z51 1LT manual coupe.
Old 07-14-2015, 10:40 PM
Steve_R
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,289 Likes on 1,399 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17

Originally Posted by mpuzach
In an absolute sense, the C6 is a great car. The C7 is simply much better IMO.
This. Loved my '08 but haven't missed it for one second since I traded it for my '14. The C7 is SO far advanced and better than the C6 that there's really no comparison between them.
Old 07-14-2015, 10:46 PM
owc6
Team Owner

Received 4,186 Likes on 2,679 Posts

You can't go wrong, either way, and I speak from experience (check my sig). A lot of C7 hating in the C6 forum with little exposure in driving it to back it up.

Much has to do with how much money you have/want to spend. The C7 is a much more sophisticated beast, but still a beast. The C6 is a beast, comparatively--more raw. The inside of every trim level on the C6 is OK, but not great, the interior of the C7 on every trim level is much better.

A low milage Z06 or even a ZR1 is much less $ than a similarly appointed Stingray or Z06, but, low milage used C7s are out there if you want (arguably the best of both worlds).

Last edited by owc6; 07-14-2015 at 10:53 PM.
Old 07-14-2015, 11:13 PM
greanie
Intermediate

I think when speaking of what i want to spend its subjective to what i get. I would like to stay under $70K all in. And i looked at a '15 Z51 3LT coupe with a couple options (I consider Must haves) that is MSRP'd @ $75K, should be around 68K with GM family price.

Would love to have a new one. . . But if a Grand Sport '13 is just as good and i can get it for MUCH less . . . . Than that may be what i decide.

Thanks for the Opinons and Notes so far!
Please Keep them coming, and update with the information i have added here.
Old 07-14-2015, 11:23 PM
Deicide
Burning Brakes

Received 69 Likes on 49 Posts

What do you intend to do with it? Is this a weekend toy or a daily driver? Do you plan to heavily modify the car or drive as is?
Old 07-14-2015, 11:29 PM
motomanvette
Melting Slicks

Received 89 Likes on 65 Posts

With less electronics and hydraulic steering, the C6 has a more mechanical feel to it. The C7 has an absolute electronic feel with all the controls and the new electric steering that offers no feedback from the tires. Steering is like a video game.
Old 07-14-2015, 11:35 PM
MikeLsx
Drifting

Received 200 Likes on 151 Posts

the c7 looks so much better. the c6 is dated
Old 07-14-2015, 11:43 PM
greanie
Intermediate

I dont plan on tracking it, only because i have never tracked a car.
All my past cars (Non Daily drivers) have been classic that i did not want to track. One of which is (I currently still own) a 1970 VW westy bus, Top speed around 55-60MPH.

Maybe i do track it . . . .

Non Daily Driver, Weekend toy! Maybe once a week to work to stretch its legs.
Old 07-15-2015, 12:06 AM
rkhegler
Team Owner

Received 350 Likes on 152 Posts

C7, hands down.
Old 07-15-2015, 12:19 AM
MikeinAZ
Burning Brakes

Received 411 Likes on 251 Posts

I think when speaking of what i want to spend its subjective to what i get. I would like to stay under $70K all in. And i looked at a '15 Z51 3LT coupe with a couple options (I consider Must haves) that is MSRP'd @ $75K, should be around 68K with GM family price.

Would love to have a new one. . . But if a Grand Sport '13 is just as good and i can get it for MUCH less . . . . Than that may be what i decide.

Just sold my 2008 C6 and bought a gently used (3k miles) 2014 (10 months old now) loaded 3LT z51 for $61k, what a 1LT would have run w/few options. Not a scratch on the car. Still has all warranties in place and is a 'certified' preowned. I prefer buying a year or two old generally as I save some good money on cars and get more features than I would have on a new one for the same or less money.

Having said that you can get a C6 (non Z06) for about half of what a new C7 will cost. Go drive both and see if you feel the extra money is worth it. C6 Grand Sport and Z06 are very nice looking cars!
Old 07-15-2015, 12:27 AM
mpuzach
Race Director

Received 1,190 Likes on 594 Posts

...if a Grand Sport '13 is just as good and i can get it for MUCH less...
A '13 Grand Sport just as good as a C7? Not a chance. I'm not suggesting that you shouldn't buy a '13 but if you were to do so on the premise that's as good of a vehicle as a C7, I think you'd be disappointed.
Old 07-15-2015, 08:45 AM
dvilin
Team Owner

Received 7,922 Likes on 4,808 Posts

Well you have another thread started on how much do you have to make to afford a Corvette. So I assume you got that sorted out. As for which Corvette to buy get the one you like best and have the money for.
The C7 is without question the better choice car wise.
Old 07-15-2015, 09:01 AM
J_Vette_Manuel
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

My c7 is my 2nd Corvette. My 1st was a 11' GS Convertible, 3LT. I have the C6 for 6 months before I traded in on the C7.

There is NO comparison to the C6. Great car, C7 FAR BETTER car. It has a decade worth of advancement behind it.
Old 07-15-2015, 09:32 AM
CWOUSMC
Intermediate

Received 17 Likes on 9 Posts

I'm not going to answer which generation corvette is better, as that is a matter of opinion. And since opinions vary, you will get several different ones.
Rather I am going to pose a question you should ask yourself, one which (having been in the same boat as you are) I had to answer for myself before moving forward. Do YOU want to drive "A" corvette or do YOU want to drive "YOUR" corvette? If you opt for the C6 or one on the lot you will be driving "A" corvette; one in which someone else selected the options and trim for. If you want to drive "YOUR" corvette, there is only one way to get it and that is to order the C7. Ordering is the route I chose, even though I'll have to wait, this time around it is what satisfies me. Just my 2 cents worth. Good luck in YOUR decision.

Get notified of new replies

To To Buy . . . Or not to buy . . . (Purchase C6? C7?)

Old 07-15-2015, 09:41 AM
funz06
Drifting

Received 105 Likes on 86 Posts

I am old school, and prefer the latest year car if affordable (I just feel I will be that much better off come trade-in time). So, based on that I would lean toward the C7----plus I have loved the C7 look from the 1st time I saw a picture of one.

Maybe talk to someone with the Z51......folks in my club, that do not track their cars, went out of their way not to get the Z51. And, they are very happy with their choice.

For my main thought-----if you would 'like' to keep it under $70K all in, it implies you can also go a little over for the right car. With your discount, what can you get a 1LZ 2016 Z06 for.......seriously. Or, a left over 2015 Z06-----don't think many, if any, 1LZ's are still out there.

I looked into the difference between a 1LZ and a 2LZ, and the only thing that really mattered to me was that the 2LZ had the memory seats---the rest was just window dressing FOR ME. If a base Z06 coupe goes for around $79K.......coupe, 7 speed, don't need the PDR (this is a track toy) or NAV..............maybe your discount gets it into your price range. Just like the C7 is a different car from the C6, the Z06 is a different car from the C7.

Bottom line-----they are all great cars...........and you will love any of them. Good luck with you choice.....tou can;t go wrong.
Old 07-15-2015, 10:08 AM
greanie
Intermediate

Thanks for all the advice!

Im getting the feeling of leaning more towards a C7.
Member: J_Vette_Manuel might have given the strongest FACT over OPINION in this talk Mentioning that the C7 has over a decade worth of innovation (This is obviously dependent on which year C6 you compare it with).

Thanks again for all the advice!
Old 07-15-2015, 10:09 AM
greanie
Intermediate

Also . . .

Thank you Member: funz06
I like the way you reason getting into a Z06, i may have to do a slight more research.

Quick Reply: To Buy . . . Or not to buy . . . (Purchase C6? C7?)