Sponsored by:

Opinion on trading 2014 Automatic for Manual at Dealer

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2015, 07:45 PM
C7flossin
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Opinion on trading 2014 Automatic for Manual at Dealer

Recently, I posted a Trade thread on trading my car for a manual, preferably from a local member on here. However, after doing some research, I found a dealer, who has exactly what I am looking for, but with different trim...with a downside.

Good side, its an Manual and its an 3LT with competition sport seats, with suede inserts (dont really care for suede), including the steering wheel and shift **** being suede, and carbon fiber trim. Everything else is exactly the same besides the beak calipers being yellow on theirs and red mine. Now the bad news. It has, since its listing more than 10,000 miles. I am assuming now it probably has maybe close to 11,000 miles and has been on the lot forever, it seems.

I bought my car new, it has less than 1500 miles, and I think the one at the dealer has too much miles. I recently did a custom diablo tune, and the car drives A LOT better and I am really satisfied with the added power and shifting has improved.

Now the dilemma, should I forget about trading the car in, wait until possibly more for sale cars show up, or wait until 2017 models; rumors have it of a mid-engine? or any other drastic change. The only thing is, I dont want to pay another sales tax, unless I come into terms from the dealer as an out the door price, (sales tax is 9%) but that means the car would be priced lower than what its "actual" worth. I also dont want to lose my awesome interest rate that I received, but I think they can match it.

Is this all really worth the trouble of driving a manual? My answer is yes, some people would think I am crazy, I think I am an enthusiast
Old 07-15-2015, 07:57 PM
C7cmnthru
Burning Brakes

Received 54 Likes on 25 Posts

No disrespect intended, but you answered your own question that it was worth it to you. So it seems that you need to approach the dealer to negotiate your terms of the sale. If the dealer doesn't bite, you still have your current Vette and can re-evaluate whether you want to keep your car or pursue a sale or trade. One option would be to sell your Vette outright. That gives you the most flexibility.
Old 07-15-2015, 08:14 PM
C7flossin
Advanced

Originally Posted by C7cmnthru
No disrespect intended, but you answered your own question that it was worth it to you. So it seems that you need to approach the dealer to negotiate your terms of the sale. If the dealer doesn't bite, you still have your current Vette and can re-evaluate whether you want to keep your car or pursue a sale or trade. One option would be to sell your Vette outright. That gives you the most flexibility.
None disrespect noted! Thank you for the advice, much appreciated. My main point was, is this particular vehicle worth it? I am torn between it, but I dont like the high mileage. I do see the trouble being worth it if it had lower mileage, but again I dont want a good opportunity to pass by, even with high mileage.
Old 07-15-2015, 08:50 PM
Greg00Coupe
Race Director

Received 1,974 Likes on 1,140 Posts

Gee mine is a 14 ready to be traded in and even with the Ohio winters has 18000 miles!!! Guess it is real high mileage!!!

One serious thing I will point out you shopping now for a C7 vrs the rumored 150K mid engine if it comes out is real apples to oranges.

If this dealer could get a mid engine car he'd probably be glad to give you exactly what you pay today towards the mid engine.

For me the miles would not scare me. I enjoy driving the car. But to many its a sin to put miles on their cars.

That my friend is a desision only you can make. You a driver or a waxer?
Old 07-15-2015, 08:58 PM
DAFFYDRUNK
Melting Slicks

Received 287 Likes on 236 Posts

So basically the purpose of the trade is getting a manual trans? I'd keep what you have. Not worth the hassle just for that.
Old 07-15-2015, 08:59 PM
Larry/car
Race Director

Received 621 Likes on 423 Posts

I wouldn't trade a lower mileage car for a higher mileage one. No reason to, lots of low mileage cars available.
Old 07-15-2015, 09:27 PM
dvilin
Team Owner

Received 7,920 Likes on 4,806 Posts

I would do the deal and once it is done and you start banging those gears you will forget what you perceived as high miles.
Old 07-15-2015, 09:30 PM
hawkgfr
Race Director

Received 1,210 Likes on 822 Posts

Need to know deal numbers....
Old 07-15-2015, 10:00 PM
C7flossin
Advanced

Originally Posted by hawkgfr
Need to know deal numbers....
It's listed for 63K
Old 07-15-2015, 10:11 PM
C7-Beast
Safety Car

Received 331 Likes on 201 Posts

Originally Posted by C7flossin
It's listed for 63K
That seems high for a 14 with that many miles in my opinion. I get it's a 3LT but my new 2LT Z51 M7 15 had expensive options like the CF dash, Machined faced wheels, suede inserts, red calibers etc and only cost slighlty more money and had 6 miles when I picked it up.

I don't think it's worth it. Good luck!
Old 07-15-2015, 10:17 PM
cor28vettes
Race Director

Received 1,099 Likes on 852 Posts

All I know about your car it's a 14 w/auto & 1500 miles. 1LT? 2LT?

The 10-11K prospect...what year is it ? How much warranty left on it compared to yours ?

Last Q's for now...Why did you go auto to start with on your 14 ? Did U think things through before U bought it new? Have you mastered the paddle shifting?
Old 07-15-2015, 10:19 PM
dmhines
Burning Brakes

Received 227 Likes on 144 Posts

I've thought of trading mine for a Manual also .. but the only way it makes sense is for it to be an even trade. The only way to do that would be to downgrade since the dealer will give you wholesale value on your Automatic car but charge you retail on the Manual car. I personally am not willing to "downgrade" my 3LT Z51 Convertible C7 just to get a manual transmission and I do enjoy the Automatic and its Crack Shift Exhaust note at WOT ...

Just saw your trade post ... your car and my car are pretty much identical just VY instead of Silver ...

Last edited by dmhines; 07-15-2015 at 10:26 PM.
Old 07-15-2015, 10:52 PM
b4i4getit
Le Mans Master

Received 285 Likes on 193 Posts

The dealer will make money both ways. If you really want a manual you might want to just order a 2016 model and get the other benefits from the newer model as well.
Old 07-15-2015, 11:08 PM
RedC7AZ
Race Director

Received 534 Likes on 334 Posts

10k miles isn't high miles for a 2014, but the problem is they were miles someone else put on the car, so you have no idea how it was treated.

...and why pay sales tax again this soon.
Old 07-15-2015, 11:22 PM
dmhines
Burning Brakes

Not sure how your state is .. but in GA ..you would not pay tax on an even trade. I just traded a 2014 Honda Civic SI for a 2015 Ford Focus Hatchback. They have me $2000 more for the CIVIC on trade than the price of the Focus ($5600 off Focus sticker with deals and rebates ) ... So i paid no tax.
Old 07-15-2015, 11:32 PM
C7flossin
Advanced

Originally Posted by 6GenVettes
All I know about your car it's a 14 w/auto & 1500 miles. 1LT? 2LT?

The 10-11K prospect...what year is it ? How much warranty left on it compared to yours ?

Last Q's for now...Why did you go auto to start with on your 14 ? Did U think things through before U bought it new? Have you mastered the paddle shifting?
The details about my car are in previous for sale posted, like I mentioned earlier. If it's required again to provide some advice, here it's is:
2014 VY Convertible Z51 2LT with magnetic selective ride, sport exhaust,carbon flash emblems, spoiler and mirrors. Black rims, red painted calipers, navigation. I also added a clear front bra which covers the whole front bumper and hood, front fenders and side mirrors.
The car for sale is exactly the same besides the few details mentioned above minus obviously the clear bra and carbon flash emblems. About same warranty, but I purchased the extended warranty and the perspective vehicle is CPO.
Mastered the paddle shifting? Is this a serious question?
Originally Posted by dmhines
I've thought of trading mine for a Manual also .. but the only way it makes sense is for it to be an even trade. The only way to do that would be to downgrade since the dealer will give you wholesale value on your Automatic car but charge you retail on the Manual car. I personally am not willing to "downgrade" my 3LT Z51 Convertible C7 just to get a manual transmission and I do enjoy the Automatic and its Crack Shift Exhaust note at WOT ...

Just saw your trade post ... your car and my car are pretty much identical just VY instead of Silver ...
You have a very beautiful ride I also thought the manual gave you that crack shift exhaust sound?

Originally Posted by b4i4getit
The dealer will make money both ways. If you really want a manual you might want to just order a 2016 model and get the other benefits from the newer model as well.
That's why I think it's better when there's a major change or option in a newer model

Originally Posted by RedC7AZ
10k miles isn't high miles for a 2014, but the problem is they were miles someone else put on the car, so you have no idea how it was treated.

...and why pay sales tax again this soon.
Yea I agree, I know the miles I put on, and not ready for a heavy sales tax.
Old 07-15-2015, 11:39 PM
dmhines
Burning Brakes

My understanding is the Exhaust Crack is due to the several millisecond fuel cutoff the ECM is making during the Automatic Shift ... I don't see how a Manual would do that.

Get notified of new replies

To Opinion on trading 2014 Automatic for Manual at Dealer

Old 07-15-2015, 11:46 PM
rcooper
Safety Car

Received 676 Likes on 480 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15

I would not do that trade. Look around and you will find lower mileage cars, or perhaps you could order a 16 and sell your car outright.
I don't like trading because you are going to be on the short side of things, tax break not with standing, you will still come out short, And, end the end the dealer will make a profit on both car. Nothing wrong with that, as that is what dealers do.
I sold my '09 for more than I was asking for to a car broker and although a hassle the selling price made it worth it. I always try to sell my cars rather than trade them in, I like going to the dealer with a bunch of cash for the down payment.
Oder yourself a new car and get what you want. Yours, with the low mileage and auto will be a sweet car to someone.
Although you will lose some warranty and a couple of free oil changes on the '16 there are a bunch of nice improvement in the car. Got to go with your gut, and from your post I think that you have pretty much answered your own question...it just isn't the right one for you.
Old 07-15-2015, 11:56 PM
B747VET
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 861 Likes on 404 Posts

Not sure I would do this particular trade. One of my biggest questions would concern how many miles it had when they took it in, how many miles it has now, and who has been driving it.

I only want used cars that have been cared for by a high caliber owner.
Old 07-16-2015, 01:00 AM
C7flossin
Advanced

Originally Posted by dmhines
My understanding is the Exhaust Crack is due to the several millisecond fuel cutoff the ECM is making during the Automatic Shift ... I don't see how a Manual would do that.
I love that crack snap and pop sound, I didnt know how it worked, perhaps this is a game changer for me lol

Originally Posted by rcooper
I would not do that trade. Look around and you will find lower mileage cars, or perhaps you could order a 16 and sell your car outright.
I don't like trading because you are going to be on the short side of things, tax break not with standing, you will still come out short, And, end the end the dealer will make a profit on both car. Nothing wrong with that, as that is what dealers do.
I sold my '09 for more than I was asking for to a car broker and although a hassle the selling price made it worth it. I always try to sell my cars rather than trade them in, I like going to the dealer with a bunch of cash for the down payment.
Oder yourself a new car and get what you want. Yours, with the low mileage and auto will be a sweet car to someone.
Although you will lose some warranty and a couple of free oil changes on the '16 there are a bunch of nice improvement in the car. Got to go with your gut, and from your post I think that you have pretty much answered your own question...it just isn't the right one for you.
I like your advice, you correct on this one sir

Originally Posted by B747VET
Not sure I would do this particular trade. One of my biggest questions would concern how many miles it had when they took it in, how many miles it has now, and who has been driving it.

I only want used cars that have been cared for by a high caliber owner.
Yea, my biggest hesitation is the "high" mileage on this one. If it was lower, I could've been ok with it, but with that many miles with an amazing fun toy, keeps me wondering.

Quick Reply: Opinion on trading 2014 Automatic for Manual at Dealer