Go Back  CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion > C7 Corvette > C7 General Discussion
Reload this Page >

If you can afford the Porsche 911, would you still buy the Corvette

C7 General Discussion General C7 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

If you can afford the Porsche 911, would you still buy the Corvette

Old 07-17-2015, 02:27 PM
c7v
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by Crabbers View Post
To name a few:
Viper
Aston Martin GT
Jaguar F-Type (any model, but the R most specifically)
Porsche Cayman S
Mercedes C63 AMG
BMW M5
Audi RS5
Alfa 4C

If you expand that list to include used cars then the list gets bigger. I'd be happy to list some of those if you cared
Thats interesting, the only car that can hang with the c7 on that list is the viper. On a track non of those car can compete with the c7. You were cross shopping a 4 door family sedan like a m5 or a c63 with a stingray? you would have a base jaguar f type with 333 hp over a stingray? Dont think any Aston cost under a 100 but regardless a c7 blows most them out of the water, when it comes to performance not interior obviously. Dont take it the wrong its all personal preference but non of those cars can compete with the c7 performance wise and thats not even taking into account the looks...i mean even though its an amg its still looks like a c-class, same with 5 series. You would really give up your stingray for a c63?? or an rs5 which with an the old 4.2l engine thats slower, handles, looks, brakes worse than a c7. I dont believe it.
Old 07-17-2015, 02:47 PM
Crabbers
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by c7v View Post
Thats interesting, the only car that can hang with the c7 on that list is the viper. On a track non of those car can compete with the c7. You were cross shopping a 4 door family sedan like a m5 or a c63 with a stingray? you would have a base jaguar f type with 333 hp over a stingray? Dont think any Aston cost under a 100 but regardless a c7 blows most them out of the water, when it comes to performance not interior obviously. Dont take it the wrong its all personal preference but non of those cars can compete with the c7 performance wise and thats not even taking into account the looks...i mean even though its an amg its still looks like a c-class, same with 5 series. You would really give up your stingray for a c63?? or an rs5 which with an the old 4.2l engine thats slower, handles, looks, brakes worse than a c7. I dont believe it.
The Viper would blow out the base Stingray. The 4C is a better track car, but IMO the Stingray is the more livable day to day car (I think most people would agree that the Stingray is more luxurious). The C63 I would get would be the coupe because the sedan doesn't look quite right to me (and the M3 is another car I left out). I would take the base F-Type over a C7 without a second thought. The Aston Martin GT costs under $100k (barely), otherwise I wouldn't have included it on the list, and again, I'm assuming you're talking about the base C7, as plenty of Astons are faster than that. The C7 is a better track car than most of them yes, but overall, the Aston is the car I prefer 100 times out of 100.

I have no idea why you keep saying none of the cars I listed can compete with the C7. You must be talking about the Z06 (in that case, the Viper is the only one on par with it that I listed). That being said, performance isn't the end all be all.

The C7 is one of the ugliest cars I have seen, so yes, I would buy every single car on that list and then plenty of others before I got a C7 (which is why I did). It's also uncomfortable inside. The base car is a great car, but I hate the looks and comfort of it.

If all you care about is performance (and that appears to be the case), then the C7 is a good pick (although there are still better ones out there). Things like comfort, styling, fit and finish, driving feel, and a multitude of other things come into the equation when I look at buying a car. I would pick an F-type R, but even the base F-Type is a much more appealing car. It's beautiful when compared to almost anything, and much more so when compared to a C7. The interior and fit and fish are much better, it sounds better, and it's much more comfortable. So it doesn't perform as well, that's one minor drawback. It's not exactly slow.

Why did you ask what I would rather have and then try to refute my list when I gave it to you? I know you like your car, but you don't need to try and convince everyone else how great it is in order to justify your purchase to yourself. If you ask a question as to what I would get instead, then accept the answer, don't try to convince me that my opinion is wrong by telling me how great the C7 is by comparison. On the flip side, I could ask you why you would pick an uncomfortable, ugly, and slow car such as the C7. And by comparison to the Viper, the base Stingray is slow.

Hell, I'd take every car on that list over a C7 Z06 as well.
Old 07-17-2015, 02:52 PM
OrioleFan
CF Senior Member

911 Definitely No. 911 S, probably.

Porsche 356 Speedster? No doubt, YES, I'd take that over a C7 any day.
Old 07-17-2015, 02:52 PM
1SG_Ret
CF Senior Member

Obviously something is right with the Porsche. Every head to head or three-way comparison between rivals, Porsche seems to win. Even when it's not the fastest on paper.

I've never driven one, but have come to admire their looks as I get older.

I have gone to the Porsche site and configured a few models (Cayman, Caymen S, 911) and am always amazed at how little my money buys

Being a C7 owner and knowing what I have, I cannot come close to getting the performance per $ with a Porsche not even considering the extras that I have in the C7 for the money I've spent.

I suppose I could get a fairly stripped down base model Cayman or 911 for $10-$20K more than a C7 just to see how great the Porsche actually is.

Since I have never pushed the limits of my C7, dropping down to a mid-high 12 second car is not going to be noticeable to me. I wonder can the Porsche actually drive and handle that much better????

I'm looking ahead to my next purchase once the bumper to bumper warranty goes out on the C7. So far the only car that tickles my fancy is the Alpha Romero 4C as a competitively priced fun car (but there is a huge sacrifice in room, comfort, entertainment systems and (more importantly) availability of servicing dealers (100 miles is closest).

The new (proposed) Supra looks good and should be priced about where the C7 is. Would love an i8 but it's 1/3 past $100K.

Dollar for dollar you cannot beat a Corvette. Waiting to see what the C8 will look like. Another potential.

Just bought a MINI Cooper S for my wife and I have to say, that car is a "hoot" to drive. While not exceptionally fast, it's peppy and handles like a go kart. $30K for a lot of fun.
Old 07-17-2015, 03:04 PM
thegame
CF Senior Member

C7 is one of the ugliest cars I have seen
Alex I know looks are subjective but seriously did you bump your head The C7 to me is one of the best looking cars I have ever seen. I was done with vettes and sold my C6 but the debut of the C7 drew me back in. This is my 5th vette and I get WAY more compliments and attention with this Stingray than any of my others cars. I also go to cars and coffee with my three other friends. One is a 997 turbo and the other a C6 Z06 and a new BMW M4 and all these cars seem invisible next to the Stingray. I get way more questions and comments than any of them. Next season when I do the ECS kit and meth ill be able to play with the big boys also.

Old 07-17-2015, 03:11 PM
Crabbers
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by thegame View Post
Alex I know looks are subjective but seriously did you bump your head The C7 to me is one of the best looking cars I have ever seen. I was done with vettes and sold my C6 but the debut of the C7 drew me back in. This is my 5th vette and I get WAY more compliments and attention with this Stingray than any of my others cars. I also go to cars and coffee with my three other friends. One is a 997 turbo and the other a C6 Z06 and a new BMW M4 and all these cars seem invisible next to the Stingray. I get way more questions and comments than any of them. Next season when I do the ECS kit and meth ill be able to play with the big boys also.
I've never asked someone if they hit their head because they liked the C7. That's the attitude that really grinds on me. I'll give you a pass cause we get along, but I can't stand the attitude "you find it ugly so there must be something wrong with you, or you must be trolling". Lots of people like the looks, and I find that completely reasonable, I just happen to disagree.
Old 07-17-2015, 03:20 PM
thegame
CF Senior Member

I've never asked someone if they hit their head because they liked the C7. That's the attitude that really grinds on me. I'll give you a pass cause we get along, but I can't stand the attitude "you find it ugly so there must be something wrong with you, or you must be trolling". Lots of people like the looks, and I find that completely reasonable, I just happen to disagree.
Actually you're right but you know I was just ribbing you. First thing I said was looks are subjective and I truly mean that. For instance people love the Aston Martins and I swear to me they could not look more boring and undesirable. I know you love those. Everyones different and these forums bring the worst out in people. Yes we do get along

Last edited by thegame; 07-17-2015 at 03:23 PM.
Old 07-17-2015, 03:31 PM
Crabbers
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by thegame View Post
Actually you're right but you know I was just ribbing you. First thing I said was looks are subjective and I truly mean that. For instance people love the Aston Martins and I swear to me they could not look more boring and undesirable. I know you love those. Everyones different and these forums bring the worst out in people. Yes we do get along
The problem is that you and I are in the minority. I get slammed for saying that I hate the car. I must be trolling, or jealous and too poor to afford one because my preferences are different than someone else's. The constant needing to feel superior, telling everyone that their C7 is better than anything else, saying all other cars are trash, and the putting down of any conflicting opinion on this forum is driving me completely insane.

Case in point: I say that I would probably rather have neither when given $84k to spend (I don't say one negative word about either car). I get asked what I would rather have and I present a list (again, no negative comments). Then I get told that I'm wrong, all those are slower (which is a lie), they're all uglier, they don't perform as well, the C7 is just better, blah blah blah blah. I don't say anything negative about the C7 and yet people love to tell me that I can't prefer anything else or I'm crazy or trolling and that I'm picking the inferior car (which is subjective in the first place).

All that being said, none of it is directed towards you.
Old 07-17-2015, 03:36 PM
thegame
CF Senior Member

The problem is that you and I are in the minority. I get slammed for saying that I hate the car. I must be trolling, or jealous and too poor to afford one because my preferences are different than someone else's. The constant needing to feel superior, telling everyone that their C7 is better than anything else, saying all other cars are trash, and the putting down of any conflicting opinion on this forum is driving me completely insane.

Case in point: I say that I would probably rather have neither when given $84k to spend (I don't say one negative word about either car). I get asked what I would rather have and I present a list (again, no negative comments). Then I get told that I'm wrong, all those are slower (which is a lie), they're all uglier, they don't perform as well, the C7 is just better, blah blah blah blah. I don't say anything negative about the C7 and yet people love to tell me that I can't prefer anything else or I'm crazy or trolling and that I'm picking the inferior car (which is subjective in the first place).

I feel ya buddy but it's the internet lol who cares what anyone says at the end of the day. Hey now that trackhawk, now that's got me interested!!!!
Old 07-17-2015, 03:38 PM
6GenVettes
CF Senior Member

Even if I could afford a Ferrari I'd rather be driving a TR C7Z in Italy and throughout all of Europe. (and I admire Ferrari)
When we were in Monte Carlo I saw a bunch of guys all over some of their sports cars. The Z would have been pic candy for them.

Last edited by 6GenVettes; 07-17-2015 at 09:14 PM.
Old 07-17-2015, 03:41 PM
themonk
CF Senior Member

Location: Calgary, AB. There's a reason why white was the only color offered on every year Corvette. Proud Canadian German Jamaican!
St. Jude Donor '09, '12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17

You're not trolling, my a$$ you're not. You hate the C7 but yet you hang out in C7 Gen putting it down every chance you get.....yeah, you're not trolling.
Old 07-17-2015, 03:43 PM
c7v
CF Senior Member

The Viper would blow out the base Stingray. The 4C is a better track car, but IMO the Stingray is the more livable day to day car (I think most people would agree that the Stingray is more luxurious). The C63 I would get would be the coupe because the sedan doesn't look quite right to me (and the M3 is another car I left out). I would take the base F-Type over a C7 without a second thought. The Aston Martin GT costs under $100k (barely), otherwise I wouldn't have included it on the list, and again, I'm assuming you're talking about the base C7, as plenty of Astons are faster than that. The C7 is a better track car than most of them yes, but overall, the Aston is the car I prefer 100 times out of 100.

I have no idea why you keep saying none of the cars I listed can compete with the C7. You must be talking about the Z06 (in that case, the Viper is the only one on par with it that I listed). That being said, performance isn't the end all be all.

The C7 is one of the ugliest cars I have seen, so yes, I would buy every single car on that list and then plenty of others before I got a C7 (which is why I did). It's also uncomfortable inside. The base car is a great car, but I hate the looks and comfort of it.

If all you care about is performance (and that appears to be the case), then the C7 is a good pick (although there are still better ones out there). Things like comfort, styling, fit and finish, driving feel, and a multitude of other things come into the equation when I look at buying a car. I would pick an F-type R, but even the base F-Type is a much more appealing car. It's beautiful when compared to almost anything, and much more so when compared to a C7. The interior and fit and fish are much better, it sounds better, and it's much more comfortable. So it doesn't perform as well, that's one minor drawback. It's not exactly slow.

Why did you ask what I would rather have and then try to refute my list when I gave it to you? I know you like your car, but you don't need to try and convince everyone else how great it is in order to justify your purchase to yourself. If you ask a question as to what I would get instead, then accept the answer, don't try to convince me that my opinion is wrong by telling me how great the C7 is by comparison. On the flip side, I could ask you why you would pick an uncomfortable, ugly, and slow car such as the C7. And by comparison to the Viper, the base Stingray is slow.

Hell, I'd take every car on that list over a C7 Z06 as well.
Before I reply to to your comment, just curious as to what car you own?
Old 07-17-2015, 03:50 PM
harryjam

nothing turns heads like a vette
Old 07-17-2015, 03:53 PM
Crabbers
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by themonk View Post
You're not trolling, my a$$ you're not. You hate the C7 but yet you hang out in C7 Gen putting it down every chance you get.....yeah, you're not trolling.
Cry me a river. Read how this got started. Someone asked which would you buy and I said neither (without a single negative word towards either car). Then I was asked what I would rather have and I gave a list with zero comment on any of them. Only until I was told I was crazy did I defend my decisions. You are the biggest baby that needs everyone to look at you in awe because you own a Chevy product. You are so insecure and jealous of people who can afford nice things that you had to finance a car for seven years just so you can try and look like a big-shot. You are so insecure that you have to project your insecurities onto everyone else by saying you own a superior car and constantly putting things down by comparison. It's sad that you base your self worth and the worth of others on the car that you own.

I don't say one negative word about the C7 unless I am asked directly, or people propose false information (such as it being faster than a Viper, and even then, it isn't a bad thing to be slower than a Viper. It's not bashing a car to say that something else is faster, nor does it take away from the C7 in any way).

Originally Posted by c7v View Post
Before I reply to to your comment, just curious as to what car you own?
That makes absolutely zero impact on my statement and how you interpret it. And before you tell me "well since you don't own a C7, so you couldn't say" I have driven them for weeks at a time. It's a fantastic driving car. It's poised, fast, and responsive, but I still find it uncomfortable and ugly, and that's all just an opinion. That doesn't make it a bad car, it's just not to my tastes. Expressing opinions is considered trolling around here by many (see Monk's idiotic comments above).

So before I answer that question, let me ask you this: Why does it matter?
Old 07-17-2015, 04:06 PM
Peterbigblock

I, for one, had to warm up to the looks of the C7, particularly from the rear. I can say positively that if looks were not at least partly subjective, my wife would never have married me.

Owning a 911 S, a Boxster S, and now the C7, the looks do not appeal to the same senses for me. The 911 is classically beautiful, a voluptuous female form. The C7 is all aggressive angles and angry creases; it looks like it could decide at any moment to just kick your ***. I love them all.
Old 07-17-2015, 04:12 PM
Crabbers
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by Peterbigblock View Post
I, for one, had to warm up to the looks of the C7, particularly from the rear. I can say positively that if looks were not at least partly subjective, my wife would never have married me.

Owning a 911 S, a Boxster S, and now the C7, the looks do not appeal to the same senses for me. The 911 is classically beautiful, a voluptuous female form. The C7 is all aggressive angles and angry creases; it looks like it could decide at any moment to just kick your ***. I love them all.

Agreed, it's all in the eye of the beholder, and I won't ever mock someone because they have a different taste in beauty than I do.
Old 07-17-2015, 04:16 PM
drs
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

911? No. How about this one?

Old 07-17-2015, 04:20 PM
rxdo

Originally Posted by Peterbigblock View Post

if I was able to purchase a cayman GTS or better yet a cayman GT4, i'd sell the vette in a minute. Honestly cars are such a personal decision when you get into this level of "transportation" that its hard to answer these type of questions. But for me, yes, id buy a P car over the vette, I just can't seem to find a dealer that will sell me one :O
Old 07-17-2015, 04:35 PM
MEJ
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by nmvettec7 View Post
I currently own a 2015 C& Stingray 1LT and a 2014 Porsche Cayman 981.

While the 2014 981 is not a 911, keep in mind the Porsche product and the Corvette are different cars in my opinion. My 2014 Porsche Cayman 981 cost me $66,000. It is a very nice sports car. Great overall quality, ride, performance, & style.

I paid $56,010 for my C7 and added about $1600.00 in aftermarket options like the front splitter, side skirts, Z06 Rear Quarter Vents, OEM GM splash guards, tint, etc.

For the money the Corvete C7 (which is my 1st ever) is a great value.
You have lots of power, great style, perfomance, and it is American and relatively low cost to maintain vs the Porsche.

With the C7 I get 4 free oil changes. The oil change on my Porsche is $199.00, just because it is a Porsche. My nearest Chevy dealer is 8 miles away, my nearest Porsche dealer is 250 miles away.

When any independent shop that works on a Porsche hears the word Porsche any service item or part goes up in price.

I love the Porsche, has great handling, better than the Corvette and I suspect the shorter wheel base has allot to due with it. My 2014 Cayman has only 3500 miles on the car after 18 months of ownership, no reported problems.

I like driving the C7 more. It turns heads more that the Porsche. The 2014 Cayman even through it went through a new design for 2014 still looks like a Porsche. Many people think the C7 is an Italian styled sports car.

The Porsche has a bit more to the status appeal because of the name.

I could make allot more comparisons. I also own a Jaguar XKR Portfolio Edition and that car is also completely different than the C7 and 981.

For the money, I don't think you can find a better value than the C7. Of course the price is solely dependent on what options you want on the C7 and, are you buying the Stingray, Z51, or Z06?

I have the Stingray, and am so well pleased. So, I suggest to take a hard look at the C7. It is truely a great driving machine.

I have no disappointments with the Jaguar XKR, C7 or the Porsche 981. I am fortunate to be able to own all three. But when I have that urge for the sports car ride, that puts a smile on my face, I grab the C7 key fob, before entering the garage.
"...so a Brit, an American, and a German walk into a bar..."

Old 07-17-2015, 05:37 PM
Lawnmower7200
CF Member

Despite this topic's resemblance to someone throwing a firebomb into a crowded theater and simultaneously yelling "IsIs Is attacking", I really appreciated this discussion, especially the contributions of Sarge, baege and Crabbers. Turns out, I'm on the cusp of this decision as well. I've been off/on flirting with the idea of a Corvette v. Cayman S. Even though these don't seem to be in the same church, much less the same pew, this is how my decision train pulled into the station.

I'm a current owner of a lightly-used '03 Boxster S. It's a great car, but hasn't grown with me so well over the 13 years I've had it. Mostly because its a convertible (dark gray with black interior) that is virtually useless in the Summer because it gets so blasted HOT due to the color combination. Even with the top up on a moderate day, windows open, it STILL can grill burgers on the front seats. So I surrender. It's back to a hard top in a light color.

Making the decision even trickier is that I have a history with my local Chevy dealer. Latest purchase was a '14 Silverado that has been flawless. Plus the dealer is very easy to get along with. Score one for Corvette. But they have very little allocation because they don't sell a lot of Corvettes.

On the other hand, I have a pretty good dealer experience with the Porsche, which has required 0 repair over its life. Routine maintenance. That's it. Build quality is exemplary. Even though it's a stripper "S", it's still attractive and comfortable inside.

I sort of know what I'm getting in a Cayman, but haven't had an opportunity to as much as sit in a Corvette. That doesn't help the case for the Corvette, to be sure. No dealers within reasonable distance even have a demo of any kind in stock.

Anyway, I just wanted to thank all the contributors to this thread for their insights.

Last edited by Lawnmower7200; 07-17-2015 at 05:49 PM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: If you can afford the Porsche 911, would you still buy the Corvette

Sponsored Ads
Vendor Directory

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: