Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

If you can afford the Porsche 911, would you still buy the Corvette

Old 07-17-2015, 05:58 PM
Crabbers
Le Mans Master

Received 116 Likes on 79 Posts

Originally Posted by Lawnmower7200
Despite this topic's resemblance to someone throwing a firebomb into a crowded theater and simultaneously yelling "IsIs Is attacking", I really appreciated this discussion, especially the contributions of Sarge, baege and Crabbers. Turns out, I'm on the cusp of this decision as well. I've been off/on flirting with the idea of a Corvette v. Cayman S. Even though these don't seem to be in the same church, much less the same pew, this is how my decision train pulled into the station.

I'm a current owner of a lightly-used '03 Boxster S. It's a great car, but hasn't grown with me so well over the 13 years I've had it. Mostly because its a convertible (dark gray with black interior) that is virtually useless in the Summer because it gets so blasted HOT due to the color combination. Even with the top up on a moderate day, windows open, it STILL can grill burgers on the front seats. So I surrender. It's back to a hard top in a light color.

Making the decision even trickier is that I have a history with my local Chevy dealer. Latest purchase was a '14 Silverado that has been flawless. Plus the dealer is very easy to get along with. Score one for Corvette. But they have very little allocation because they don't sell a lot of Corvettes.

On the other hand, I have a pretty good dealer experience with the Porsche, which has required 0 repair over its life. Routine maintenance. That's it. Build quality is exemplary. Even though it's a stripper "S", it's still attractive and comfortable inside.

I sort of know what I'm getting in a Cayman, but haven't had an opportunity to as much as sit in a Corvette. That doesn't help the case for the Corvette, to be sure. No dealers within reasonable distance even have a demo of any kind in stock.

Anyway, I just wanted to thank all the contributors to this thread for their insights.
Best advice I could give would be to not give up on the Corvette because getting a test drive is proving difficult. Be patient and try to find a dealer that has one, or a friend that will let you take it for a spin. Better yet, see if you can rent one for a week or so and see what it would be like to live with. I think Hertz provides rental Corvettes.

Drive both and see which one really grabs you. If neither does it for you, then broaden your search. If I was in your situation (strictly hypothetical) I would lean towards the Corvette. I like variety, and having owned a Porsche (granted, 13 years old, so not a very fair comparison) I would want something different. The new Cayman is quite a machine though, so in the end only you can decide. Try not to get discouraged when looking for an opportunity to drive a C7, you might miss out on the perfect car for you if you do.

Good luck with your search and keep us posted
Old 07-17-2015, 05:59 PM
TTRotary
Race Director

Received 404 Likes on 160 Posts

I could write a check tomorrow for a Ferrari 458 if I felt like it, but I ordered a Z06 2 weeks ago. I am not buying a Ferrari because (1) I cannot even get one and (2) $250K is an insane amount of money to put into a depreciating asset. I'll probably get a used one when they get into the mid-150s.

I am not buying a Porsche for a different reason: I find them overpriced for what they offer. I have extensive seat time in 996s and 997s, and do not like how they drive. In fact, I find them thoroughly annoying in corners - this is not in fact a car that likes to transition, and it is hobbled by the insistence on retaining McPherson struts in the front. The result is a weird and unsettling vertical bobbing motion. And Porsche has tamed the rear end into oblivion, so the overall result is a car that understeers in grand BMW tradition. No thanks. I have not driven the latest 911 hard / on track, but I still see the McPhersons, so I doubt I'd like it any better. I do think the latest car is much improved over the prior ones, however.

The Cayman and Spyder are better driving than the 911, and I might actually buy one if they would offer a decent amount of power.

I just like how Corvettes drive.
Old 07-17-2015, 06:28 PM
cheapthrills
Melting Slicks

Received 441 Likes on 292 Posts

Originally Posted by Crabbers

Agreed, it's all in the eye of the beholder, and I won't ever mock someone because they have a different taste in beauty than I do.
I try to be as polite as possible on forums, I have nothing to prove about me or my choice in cars. Thank god we all have different taste or the roads would be littered with C7's

But I do have to wonder why people who really don't care for a certain car spend time on the forum of the car. I'm not trying to be a ***** or calling you a troll I just find it odd. I have no desire to be on a 911 forum. I also have a Focus ST and it's a fun car to mod, I learn a lot from the forum but it always seems WRX guys are always hanging out even though they seem to dislike the ST.

BTW I love the looks of the Jag F-type, maybe one of the few cars I like as much or more then the C7. It's just not worth the extra cash to me. Stunning car though.
Old 07-17-2015, 06:49 PM
Crabbers
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by cheapthrills
I try to be as polite as possible on forums, I have nothing to prove about me or my choice in cars. Thank god we all have different taste or the roads would be littered with C7's

But I do have to wonder why people who really don't care for a certain car spend time on the forum of the car. I'm not trying to be a ***** or calling you a troll I just find it odd. I have no desire to be on a 911 forum. I also have a Focus ST and it's a fun car to mod, I learn a lot from the forum but it always seems WRX guys are always hanging out even though they seem to dislike the ST.

BTW I love the looks of the Jag F-type, maybe one of the few cars I like as much or more then the C7. It's just not worth the extra cash to me. Stunning car though.
F-Types aren't very expensive A gently used XKR-S is my choice of Jag though, and possibly my next choice of car. There's something about it that just gets me.

And it's a valid question. I'm on the forum because I have a Corvette. I check the C7 forums because it's the newest offering from GM and I like to see what's going on in terms of technology, advancement, and things like that. It's interesting to see what's going on, especially from my perspective because I have some insights as to what happens behind the curtains (I'm a powertrain engineer with Fiat Chrysler). That, and I like ruffling feathers in off topic
Old 07-17-2015, 07:01 PM
NoOne
Team Owner

Received 503 Likes on 247 Posts

The whole Porsche is ugly thing...the base 911 is pretty boring but if you have stood next to a 911 Turbo the car has a lot of presence.

It's hard to explain and there is a difference seeing one going down the road versus getting out and standing next to one.

You can't take a 20 second glance and say "Oh the C7 is as nice on the interior or built as good". Spend sometime looking at the detail work especially in a full leather interior car and there is an astronomical difference.

My problem is for all I like a great handling car straight line acceleration is an equal enjoyment and not much puts down as much power aftermarket, for less money, and higher reliability than the GM V8s, be it in a Camaro or a Corvette.

I'm over 600hp now and if I blow the engine, 6-7 thousand dollars not only to fix it but build it better if you replace the entire thing.

Break the transmission, $2000.

Break a PDK out of warranty and its brutal, plus the pool of knowledgeable people is much smaller, so the cost is much higher. If you happen to damage a motor, or the turbo, or worse both you are looking at 20-30 percent the original cost of the car to start to repair.

My wife really liked the Boxster but by the time we got it built out it was 93K. If we lived down South where thats a year round car that would not be bad, but here in Michigan to spend that much and only get 5 months use out of it did not make sense.

Although we ordered a Macan Turbo and thought it was worth every penny of the 87K it was...her brother got a job at Audi and we ended up with an SQ5 for a silly low price, 30K under the Turbo but there are a lot of days I would have not minded a bit spending the extra 30K. The SQ is a great car but I miss the DCT trans and the brakes are not the greatest on the SQ compared to the Porsche.

I still think we will do a Macan Turbo when this lease is up.
Old 07-17-2015, 07:25 PM
C7_Z06
Melting Slicks

Received 62 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by NoOne
Although we ordered a Macan Turbo and thought it was worth every penny of the 87K it was...her brother got a job at Audi and we ended up with an SQ5 for a silly low price, 30K under the Turbo but there are a lot of days I would have not minded a bit spending the extra 30K. The SQ is a great car but I miss the DCT trans and the brakes are not the greatest on the SQ compared to the Porsche.

I still think we will do a Macan Turbo when this lease is up.
The Macan is a pretty nice package.... I have an S w/ PASM and boy does this thing handle like it's on rails (for a SUV). Even the 3.0 twin turbo in the S can still move swiftly with ease.... plus the PDK in Sport+ mode is topnotch. I also looked at the SQ5 but the Macan was the better overall choice for me. It was well worth the wait (nearly 6months from order to build to delivery).

Old 07-17-2015, 08:09 PM
NoOne
Team Owner

Received 503 Likes on 247 Posts

Originally Posted by C7_Z06
The Macan is a pretty nice package.... I have an S w/ PASM and boy does this thing handle like it's on rails (for a SUV). Even the 3.0 twin turbo in the S can still move swiftly with ease.... plus the PDK in Sport+ mode is topnotch. I also looked at the SQ5 but the Macan was the better overall choice for me. It was well worth the wait (nearly 6months from order to build to delivery).

When we looked at the S we wanted it pretty loaded so the step up to the Turbo was not a huge amount and we really liked the Alacantra pillars and roof, which was a 3K option on the S, but included on the turbo.

The PDK is what I really miss. I have a DCT in my S4 and love it. I actually prefer the 3.0 supercharged motor to the 3.0 turbo, wish they would offer it.

Plus once my wife drove the 3.6 turbo that did it.

But it was hard to argue with almost 10K off the SQ...Handling feel the Porsche was better in every aspect. Handling ability I don't find the SQ behind it at all, however the Porsche comes with Michelin All seasons and we got her SQ with Pirelli P-Zero Scorpions which have allowed me to do some pretty stupid things in an SUV.
Old 07-17-2015, 08:28 PM
themonk
Team Owner

Location: Calgary, AB. There's a reason why white was the only color offered on every year Corvette. Proud Canadian German Jamaican!
Received 1,456 Likes on 799 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09, '12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17

Cry me a river. Read how this got started. Someone asked which would you buy and I said neither (without a single negative word towards either car). Then I was asked what I would rather have and I gave a list with zero comment on any of them. Only until I was told I was crazy did I defend my decisions. You are the biggest baby that needs everyone to look at you in awe because you own a Chevy product. You are so insecure and jealous of people who can afford nice things that you had to finance a car for seven years just so you can try and look like a big-shot. You are so insecure that you have to project your insecurities onto everyone else by saying you own a superior car and constantly putting things down by comparison. It's sad that you base your self worth and the worth of others on the car that you own.

I don't say one negative word about the C7 unless I am asked directly, or people propose false information (such as it being faster than a Viper, and even then, it isn't a bad thing to be slower than a Viper. It's not bashing a car to say that something else is faster, nor does it take away from the C7 in any way).

That makes absolutely zero impact on my statement and how you interpret it. And before you tell me "well since you don't own a C7, so you couldn't say" I have driven them for weeks at a time. It's a fantastic driving car. It's poised, fast, and responsive, but I still find it uncomfortable and ugly, and that's all just an opinion. That doesn't make it a bad car, it's just not to my tastes. Expressing opinions is considered trolling around here by many (see Monk's idiotic comments above).

So before I answer that question, let me ask you this: Why does it matter?
Your statement just shows your ignorance, stupidity and every other adjective that describes your lack of intelligence. First off, 48 months does not equal 7 years, it's 4 years, go back to remedial math genius.

Second, jealous? Jealous of what, the fact that you live in the Vista View Condo complex, isn't that where they shot Sanford and Son?

Tell me, why exactly do you post in C7 Gen when you dislike the car so much, that makes absolutely ZERO sense unless, of course, your sole purpose is to troll, which I think is the reason why you're here. I don't like the C6, I don't plan on buying a C6 so I don't hang out in C6 Gen, what reason would there be for me to?
Old 07-17-2015, 09:21 PM
Richard Ames
Drifting

Received 204 Likes on 162 Posts

The Corvette is such a great touring car. I looked at both as my early choice was the 911. After test drives and pros and cons the Vette won.. That was a 2013 GS now a better 2015 Z51
Old 07-17-2015, 10:52 PM
Crabbers
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by themonk
Your statement just shows your ignorance, stupidity and every other adjective that describes your lack of intelligence. First off, 48 months does not equal 7 years, it's 4 years, go back to remedial math genius.

Second, jealous? Jealous of what, the fact that you live in the Vista View Condo complex, isn't that where they shot Sanford and Son?

Tell me, why exactly do you post in C7 Gen when you dislike the car so much, that makes absolutely ZERO sense unless, of course, your sole purpose is to troll, which I think is the reason why you're here. I don't like the C6, I don't plan on buying a C6 so I don't hang out in C6 Gen, what reason would there be for me to?
Why don't you post your loan agreement again to prove that it was 48 months?

Oh right, you can't because it was for 84 months.
Old 07-17-2015, 11:23 PM
C7Joy
Race Director

Received 176 Likes on 157 Posts

Uh-h-h, let me think.... okay, I'm done. C7 please?
Old 07-18-2015, 12:02 AM
PatriotsGuy
Racer

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Dano W
Just checked this video yesterday, 3 guys was talk about this.

For $84K Get A Fully Loaded Corvette Or Stripper Porsche 911? - WCSYB - YouTube

I will choose Corvette in anytime, even maybe Porsche has better built, but I still like Corvette's performance and aggressive look. I always feel pride when I drive my C7, even I drive next to the porsche on highway.

Porsche purchase? Maybe when I get the next $84K...
Imo porsche look is getting out dated thats been the same body style since the 1990s with a few tweaks here and there. Thats why I would go vette based on its in your face sports car styling. Porsche has better build quality/higher quality metals/materials. Solid racing pedigree and tradition but I still would never bye one, the next thing for me would be xkr or gtr etc. To many to list.My uncle had Porsche and said maintenance cost is obscene.
Old 07-18-2015, 12:18 AM
PatriotsGuy
Racer

Originally Posted by C7_Z06

God almighty does that c7 look absolutely drop dead georgious especially with that smoke color damn. The styling is absolutely brutal i wish i coud afford one , currently drive 08 c6 silver coupe wich is sexy but nothing compared to your car sir.
Old 07-18-2015, 12:21 AM
PatriotsGuy
Racer

Originally Posted by themonk

Right on ,you said "sanford and son" ahahahahahahaha
Old 07-18-2015, 12:39 AM
PatriotsGuy
Racer

Cry me a river. Read how this got started. Someone asked which would you buy and I said neither (without a single negative word towards either car). Then I was asked what I would rather have and I gave a list with zero comment on any of them. Only until I was told I was crazy did I defend my decisions. You are the biggest baby that needs everyone to look at you in awe because you own a Chevy product. You are so insecure and jealous of people who can afford nice things that you had to finance a car for seven years just so you can try and look like a big-shot. You are so insecure that you have to project your insecurities onto everyone else by saying you own a superior car and constantly putting things down by comparison. It's sad that you base your self worth and the worth of others on the car that you own.

I don't say one negative word about the C7 unless I am asked directly, or people propose false information (such as it being faster than a Viper, and even then, it isn't a bad thing to be slower than a Viper. It's not bashing a car to say that something else is faster, nor does it take away from the C7 in any way).

That makes absolutely zero impact on my statement and how you interpret it. And before you tell me "well since you don't own a C7, so you couldn't say" I have driven them for weeks at a time. It's a fantastic driving car. It's poised, fast, and responsive, but I still find it uncomfortable and ugly, and that's all just an opinion. That doesn't make it a bad car, it's just not to my tastes. Expressing opinions is considered trolling around here by many (see Monk's idiotic comments above).

So before I answer that question, let me ask you this: Why does it matter?
I feel like a big shot in my pre owned O8 c6 coupe that I financed 5 years on my measly 6OK a year salary, People are constantly twisting there necks to look at it and compliments galore. Also the Vette gets them wet . I started instantly getting p$!#y as soon as I bought it although relability has been a slight issue. I did get coochie even when I drove a s@$t box so save the you need a sports car to get laid B.S. Happy motoring
Old 07-18-2015, 12:45 AM
Crabbers
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by PatriotsGuy
I feel like a big shot in my pre owned O8 c6 coupe that I financed 5 years on my measly 6OK a year salary, People are constantly twisting there necks to look at it and compliments galore. Also the Vette gets them wet . I started instantly getting p$!#y as soon as I bought it although relability has been a slight issue. I did get coochie even when I drove a s@$t box so save the you need a sports car to get laid B.S. Happy motoring
Never said that. I dunno why you people love to fabricate things I supposedly said but never actually did

Also, I'm sure you're proud of your sexual exploits, but we don't really need to hear about that.

Last edited by Crabbers; 07-18-2015 at 12:52 AM.
Old 07-18-2015, 08:25 AM
golfbone
Pro

Received 105 Likes on 48 Posts

For a decade I drove Corvettes while all my well to do middle aged male friends drove 911s and looked down their noses at me. I could afford a 911 but it didn't give me what I wanted or needed in many ways and on many levels (specifically I needed a trunk that fit my golf clubs, run flats that made it safe for me to drive to work through bad neighborhoods and I wanted power and torque). The compromise was really in the interior and the feedback that one gets while driving was just better in the German car but you payed for it. Now that this compromise is no longer there with the C7 3 of my good friends have traded in their 911s for C7s and they are all extremely pleased. Interesting how they now are all nuts about old C2s and C3s....go to car shows and ogle and want to buy an old one and fix it up etc. It becomes a passion and I'm sorry...those old Porsches just don't have the appeal that the old Vettes do. They look like early space capsules for chimps while the Vettes look like space ships for Capt Kirk!

Get notified of new replies

To If you can afford the Porsche 911, would you still buy the Corvette

Old 07-18-2015, 08:57 AM
2vette2
Le Mans Master

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 413 Likes on 189 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21

Yes.
Old 07-18-2015, 09:23 AM
PatriotsGuy
Racer

Never said that. I dunno why you people love to fabricate things I supposedly said but never actually did

Also, I'm sure you're proud of your sexual exploits, but we don't really need to hear about that.
Lmfao
Old 07-18-2015, 10:14 AM
Lazarus Long
Racer

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts

My brother has a late 2000s 911, dad has a Caymen, I have his old C5 vert. I've never driven a C7, so I can't really compare. I can only guess as to the driving experience, which I assume is much better than the C5.

IMHO, the 911 is the more complete package. Build quality, materials, fit and finish are far superior in the Porsches. They are also better daily drivers. They have bigger windows, better visibility. I've driven the Caymen much more than the 911, it handles much better than the C5 (I know, it isn't a C7). They have the performance to be fun to drive without many of the drawbacks of a sports car.

The C5 has more storage in the trunk, the coupe even more. The Caymen has a cubby hole in the front and the hatch in the back. The 911 doesn't have much trunk space, but does have the back seat and can have a roof rack.

The Caymen is tight on legroom but is good enough for my dad, the C5 and 911 have plenty.

Dad and my brother drive their cars all winter, when dad had the C5 it was garaged for the winter.

Absolute track performance isn't a priority for me, especially at the cost of reduced every day usability.

I'm conflicted about the C7. While I'm sure it drives much better than the C5, practicality has taken a step back. Less roomy interior, less cargo space, poorer visibility. The style seems to be very polarizing. Myself, it doesn't really float my boat. I don't think it will age well, while a 30 year old 911 still looks good.

Price is the big question, Porsches get a huge premium. While better, I'm not convinced they are that much better. My brother bought his 911 used and got a great deal on a low mileage car. If I could find such a deal, it would make the Porsche very hard to turn down.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: If you can afford the Porsche 911, would you still buy the Corvette