Go Back  CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion > C7 Corvette > C7 General Discussion
Reload this Page >

If you can afford the Porsche 911, would you still buy the Corvette

Notices
C7 General Discussion General C7 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

If you can afford the Porsche 911, would you still buy the Corvette

 
Old 07-18-2015, 01:20 PM
  #121  
1SG_Ret
CF Senior Member
 
1SG_Ret's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jul 2014
Location: Bonita Springs Florida
Posts: 1,807
Thanked 243 Times in 165 Posts
Default

Never can understand why someone posts an inflammatory comment in a forum of enthusiasts. Much easier to leave that comment out unless they want to "stir the pot". You could have made your point far better without it and kept the dscusssion on topic.


Originally Posted by Crabbers View Post
The Viper would blow out the base Stingray. The 4C is a better track car, but IMO the Stingray is the more livable day to day car (I think most people would agree that the Stingray is more luxurious). The C63 I would get would be the coupe because the sedan doesn't look quite right to me (and the M3 is another car I left out). I would take the base F-Type over a C7 without a second thought. The Aston Martin GT costs under $100k (barely), otherwise I wouldn't have included it on the list, and again, I'm assuming you're talking about the base C7, as plenty of Astons are faster than that. The C7 is a better track car than most of them yes, but overall, the Aston is the car I prefer 100 times out of 100.

I have no idea why you keep saying none of the cars I listed can compete with the C7. You must be talking about the Z06 (in that case, the Viper is the only one on par with it that I listed). That being said, performance isn't the end all be all.

The C7 is one of the ugliest cars I have seen, so yes, I would buy every single car on that list and then plenty of others before I got a C7 (which is why I did). It's also uncomfortable inside. The base car is a great car, but I hate the looks and comfort of it.

If all you care about is performance (and that appears to be the case), then the C7 is a good pick (although there are still better ones out there). Things like comfort, styling, fit and finish, driving feel, and a multitude of other things come into the equation when I look at buying a car. I would pick an F-type R, but even the base F-Type is a much more appealing car. It's beautiful when compared to almost anything, and much more so when compared to a C7. The interior and fit and fish are much better, it sounds better, and it's much more comfortable. So it doesn't perform as well, that's one minor drawback. It's not exactly slow.

Why did you ask what I would rather have and then try to refute my list when I gave it to you? I know you like your car, but you don't need to try and convince everyone else how great it is in order to justify your purchase to yourself. If you ask a question as to what I would get instead, then accept the answer, don't try to convince me that my opinion is wrong by telling me how great the C7 is by comparison. On the flip side, I could ask you why you would pick an uncomfortable, ugly, and slow car such as the C7. And by comparison to the Viper, the base Stingray is slow.

Hell, I'd take every car on that list over a C7 Z06 as well.
1SG_Ret is offline  
Old 07-18-2015, 01:45 PM
  #122  
Crabbers
CF Senior Member
 
Crabbers's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jun 2014
Location: Over there
Posts: 7,474
Thanks: 0
Thanked 114 Times in 77 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by 1SG_Ret View Post
Never can understand why someone posts an inflammatory comment in a forum of enthusiasts. Much easier to leave that comment out unless they want to "stir the pot". You could have made your point far better without it and kept the dscusssion on topic.
I was asked point blank about it and didn't make any inflammatory remarks when I answered. Only when I kept getting pressed did I express my dislike for the styling (which isn't inflammatory, it's just an opinion. There's nothing wrong with liking it, I just don't). Too often people take offense to an opinion offered by someone else. If I say I wouldn't buy one but I keep getting pressed as to why and how my opinion isn't valid, then I'll tell you why.

If I ask you why you don't like something and then get mad becuase you answer honestly, then I'm just an arrogant person that thinks only my opinion is right and people aren't allowed to think differently.

Last edited by Crabbers; 07-18-2015 at 01:47 PM.
Crabbers is offline  
Old 07-18-2015, 03:03 PM
  #123  
thrilled
CF Senior Member
 
Member Since: Mar 2014
Location: Kilmarnock Va
Posts: 2,501
Thanked 119 Times in 104 Posts
Default

Um I could have bought A Ferrari or the new Lamburgini at $493,000.But I would be kicking
Myself in the A_ _ every day.i do miss not waiting A year and getting the Z06.
I'm tight went with the 2014 1LT no options $49,000 .I think paying huge amounts of money
For A car is A little reckless.I love this stingray.
thrilled is offline  
Old 07-18-2015, 05:43 PM
  #124  
1SG_Ret
CF Senior Member
 
1SG_Ret's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jul 2014
Location: Bonita Springs Florida
Posts: 1,807
Thanked 243 Times in 165 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Crabbers View Post
I was asked point blank about it and didn't make any inflammatory remarks when I answered. Only when I kept getting pressed did I express my dislike for the styling (which isn't inflammatory, it's just an opinion. There's nothing wrong with liking it, I just don't). Too often people take offense to an opinion offered by someone else. If I say I wouldn't buy one but I keep getting pressed as to why and how my opinion isn't valid, then I'll tell you why.

If I ask you why you don't like something and then get mad becuase you answer honestly, then I'm just an arrogant person that thinks only my opinion is right and people aren't allowed to think differently.
No problems with opinions. Everyone has them. Sometimes it's all in the presentation.
1SG_Ret is offline  
Old 07-18-2015, 06:00 PM
  #125  
Crabbers
CF Senior Member
 
Crabbers's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jun 2014
Location: Over there
Posts: 7,474
Thanks: 0
Thanked 114 Times in 77 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by 1SG_Ret View Post
No problems with opinions. Everyone has them. Sometimes it's all in the presentation.
I don't see you commenting on the presentation of negative comments towards other cars One might think it has nothing to do with the presentation, only the car being commented on.
Crabbers is offline  
Old 07-18-2015, 08:37 PM
  #126  
RedC7AZ
CF Senior Member
 
RedC7AZ's Avatar
 
Member Since: May 2006
Location: Gilbert AZ
Posts: 9,415
Thanked 311 Times in 194 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Crabbers View Post

The C7 is one of the ugliest cars I have seen, so yes, I would buy every single car on that list and then plenty of others before I got a C7 (which is why I did). It's also uncomfortable inside. The base car is a great car, but I hate the looks and comfort of it.
It's your opinion and you are entitled to it. It may ruffle a few C7 owners feathers.

However, to put your opinion in perspective..... the overall C7 styling is widely popular and considered by the vast majority to have the "it" factor. Us C7 owners are still experiencing the looks and compliments our C7s get everywhere we go.

In start contrast, your opinion falls with the vast minority.

Last edited by RedC7AZ; 07-18-2015 at 08:42 PM.
RedC7AZ is offline  
Old 07-18-2015, 08:45 PM
  #127  
Crabbers
CF Senior Member
 
Crabbers's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jun 2014
Location: Over there
Posts: 7,474
Thanks: 0
Thanked 114 Times in 77 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by RedC7AZ View Post
It's your opinion and you are entitled to it. It may ruffle a few C7 owners feathers.

However, to put your opinion in perspective..... the overall C7 styling is widely popular and considered by the vast majority to have the "it" factor. Us C7 owners are still experiencing the looks and compliments our C7s get everywhere we go.

In start contrast, your opinion falls with the vast minority.
I'm fully aware of that and I don't mind being in the minority, it's one of the reasons I didn't buy one. I have no problems with anyone who finds it beautiful

All I would ask is that instead of being called crazy, or a troll, or anything else along those lines that it would simply be acknowledged as an opinion I hold.
Crabbers is offline  
Old 07-18-2015, 09:12 PM
  #128  
jcthorne
CF Senior Member
 
jcthorne's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jun 2015
Posts: 1,088
Thanked 127 Times in 97 Posts
Default

Previous car was a Ford GT. I seriously considered the 911 turbo, R8, GTR, and even a Tesla. Bought the Z06/Z07. Could not be happier.
jcthorne is offline  
Old 07-18-2015, 09:35 PM
  #129  
AUTO_X_AL
CF Senior Member
 
AUTO_X_AL's Avatar
 
Member Since: Oct 2005
Location: South Lyon MI
Posts: 1,729
Thanked 62 Times in 52 Posts
Default If you can afford the Porsche 911, would you still buy the Corvette

If I could get a 911 GT3 loaded to the gills or a turbo S, I'd have a hard time but I think the GT3 is a killer car. Base 911 to a Z51 isn't even in the ball park. I could've done hat but I don't care for the gutless P cars. I know a guy with a Cayman GT4 and I think my car gave him a case of cognitive dissonance. The gt4 cayman is a great car too btw.
AUTO_X_AL is offline  
Old 07-18-2015, 09:45 PM
  #130  
weston98
Junior Member
 
Member Since: May 2007
Location: CT
Posts: 20
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Both are excellent cars and have their own distinct character, IMO.

I now drive a 2015 Z51 M7 3LT convertible and a 1997 911 twin turbo which I've enjoyed for the last 11 years. I traded a 2009 C6 Z06 for the C7. (In the past I had a 1984, 1999, 2002 911 Carrera and a 2000 GT3 Cup which I raced for three years in PCA)

I drive each one whenever I can.

Driving the 911 with its high revving flat six screaming right behind your head versus the vette's awesome V8 and low end torque are very different experiences. Both cars handle great. GM really nailed it with the C7. Much better than the C6 which always felt to me like it was riding above the road. The C7 feels planted and connected to the road, much like the 911.

I'm happy to have both and enjoy them each for their own virtues.
weston98 is offline  
Old 07-18-2015, 10:06 PM
  #131  
WesC7
CF Senior Member
 
WesC7's Avatar
 
Member Since: Apr 2000
Location: Metro-East IL
Posts: 1,008
Thanked 15 Times in 9 Posts
Default

I looked at BMWs, 911s & Tesla's.... All exceptionally nice cars....but what really swayed me was the $$$'s difference for what I received.

I love my C7 and have no regrets whatsoever....... GM hit a Grand Slam with this car.....
WesC7 is offline  
Old 07-18-2015, 10:11 PM
  #132  
RedC7AZ
CF Senior Member
 
RedC7AZ's Avatar
 
Member Since: May 2006
Location: Gilbert AZ
Posts: 9,415
Thanked 311 Times in 194 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Crabbers View Post
I'm fully aware of that and I don't mind being in the minority, it's one of the reasons I didn't buy one. I have no problems with anyone who finds it beautiful

All I would ask is that instead of being called crazy, or a troll, or anything else along those lines that it would simply be acknowledged as an opinion I hold.
One of the reasons you didn't buy a C7 was to be part of the minority, meaning you did not want to be part of the majority who like the styling ??
RedC7AZ is offline  
Old 07-18-2015, 10:17 PM
  #133  
1SG_Ret
CF Senior Member
 
1SG_Ret's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jul 2014
Location: Bonita Springs Florida
Posts: 1,807
Thanked 243 Times in 165 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Crabbers View Post
I don't see you commenting on the presentation of negative comments towards other cars One might think it has nothing to do with the presentation, only the car being commented on.

Honestly, if I have nothing positive to say, I usually refrain from comment, whether it's a car, color, wheel choice, etc.

Perhaps it's a bit of both since this is the C7 section where owners or potential owners discuss and share info about the C7 model. As a non-owner stating that the car is ugly can be off-putting. Perhaps, "I'm not a fan of the new design" would have been a better choice of words (considering the audience). Not sure if you get where I'm coming from, so I'll end it here.
1SG_Ret is offline  
Old 07-18-2015, 10:21 PM
  #134  
Crabbers
CF Senior Member
 
Crabbers's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jun 2014
Location: Over there
Posts: 7,474
Thanks: 0
Thanked 114 Times in 77 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by RedC7AZ View Post
One of the reasons you didn't buy a C7 was to be part of the minority, meaning you did not want to be part of the majority who like the styling ??
How did you interpret my comment that way? No, one of the reasons I didn't buy it was because the styling isn't to my tastes.
Crabbers is offline  
Old 07-18-2015, 10:24 PM
  #135  
Crabbers
CF Senior Member
 
Crabbers's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jun 2014
Location: Over there
Posts: 7,474
Thanks: 0
Thanked 114 Times in 77 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by 1SG_Ret View Post
Honestly, if I have nothing positive to say, I usually refrain from comment, whether it's a car, color, wheel choice, etc.

Perhaps it's a bit of both since this is the C7 section where owners or potential owners discuss and share info about the C7 model. As a non-owner stating that the car is ugly can be off-putting. Perhaps, "I'm not a fan of the new design" would have been a better choice of words (considering the audience). Not sure if you get where I'm coming from, so I'll end it here.
I didn't just say that unprompted. Someone asked me why in a very rude way. I could've lied, I could've ignored the question, but I opted to answer it. You're acting like I came into this thread just to say the car was ugly, which is not the case at all.

Last edited by Crabbers; 07-18-2015 at 10:26 PM.
Crabbers is offline  
Old 07-19-2015, 02:00 AM
  #136  
themonk
CF Senior Member
 
themonk's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jul 2006
Location: Calgary, AB. There's a reason why white was the only color offered on every year Corvette. Proud Canadian German Jamaican!
Posts: 80,080
Thanked 583 Times in 373 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09, '12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17
Default

Originally Posted by Crabbers View Post
I didn't just say that unprompted. Someone asked me why in a very rude way. I could've lied, I could've ignored the question, but I opted to answer it. You're acting like I came into this thread just to say the car was ugly, which is not the case at all.
you're just a punk troll, don't try to back pedal and say "well....uhhhhh, someone pressed me into saying it".....how old are you 12? Your ignorance once again comes shining through, everyone sees it alright. Why don't you just hang out in C6 Gen and stroke each other's egos by saying how much better the C6 is over the 7.
themonk is offline  
Old 07-19-2015, 02:12 AM
  #137  
OnPoint
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!
 
OnPoint's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jun 2006
Location: 2015 Z06 & 2010 ZR1
Posts: 18,124
Thanked 1,764 Times in 1,037 Posts
Default

I don't have any issues with Crabbers point of view. He doesn't like the styling of the C7. That's fine. Different strokes.

And I'm a C7 owner.

OnPoint is online now  
Old 07-19-2015, 02:28 AM
  #138  
TARANTULA
CF Senior Member
 
TARANTULA's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jul 2009
Location: Wellington FL
Posts: 1,499
Thanked 98 Times in 64 Posts
Default

No and I didn't. But corvette are great cars too. I really enjoyed my c6z06
TARANTULA is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Quick Reply: If you can afford the Porsche 911, would you still buy the Corvette


Sponsored Ads
Vendor Directory

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
 
  • Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: