Sponsored by:

Driving in the rain - not what you think

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2015, 01:36 PM
BladeSilver2015
Pro

Received 122 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by Woodson
I'll try to remember to post photos this winter with twin rooster tails in the snow.

I look forward to seeing them. Be sure to post before and after pics.

http://gmauthority.com/blog/2014/01/...ccident-watch/
Old 07-18-2015, 02:22 PM
thrilled
Safety Car

Received 618 Likes on 455 Posts

This one guy went to sell his beloved Corvette.A person came to buy it.The seller wouldn't
sell it to the buyer cause the weather looked like it was going to rain.He didn't want the
new owner to drive it in the rain.The owner said it had never been in the rain.
Old 07-18-2015, 02:41 PM
BladeSilver2015
Pro

Originally Posted by thrilled
This one guy went to sell his beloved Corvette.A person came to buy it.The seller wouldn't
sell it to the buyer cause the weather looked like it was going to rain.He didn't want the
new owner to drive it in the rain.The owner said it had never been in the rain.

Bought a 2012 Shelby GT500 new and drove it for almost 3 years but NEVER in the rain. Car looked better than show room new. Wasn't really worth it though. All I got for the car was $1K less than I paid for it.
Old 07-18-2015, 03:27 PM
HolyRoller
Drifting

Received 39 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by BladeSilver2015
All I can say is -- absolutely unbelievable. Waited 68 years to get this car. Even the thought of driving it in the rain causes me pain. With the top off? Not even in my worst nightmares.
Don't mean to rain on your parade, but

(1) You do know your Corvette was hosed with about a hurricane's worth of rain in the spray booth before it ever left the factory, right?

(2) You do know your Corvette sat outside in the lot behind the factory for at least days and possibly weeks, and probably got rained on several times, right?
Old 07-18-2015, 04:05 PM
owc6
Team Owner

Received 4,186 Likes on 2,679 Posts

I'll try to remember to post photos this winter with twin rooster tails in the snow.

I had mine a week when we had a freak late snow storm, and I got caught in it . Fortunately,the roads were warm enough to drive with the top down the day before, so there wasn't any build - up on the road itself .
Old 07-18-2015, 05:19 PM
BladeSilver2015
Pro

Originally Posted by HolyRoller
Don't mean to rain on your parade, but

(1) You do know your Corvette was hosed with about a hurricane's worth of rain in the spray booth before it ever left the factory, right?

(2) You do know your Corvette sat outside in the lot behind the factory for at least days and possibly weeks, and probably got rained on several times, right?

You could not produce enough rain to ruin my parade. Let me clarify. There is a big difference between a car getting wet (washing/rained on) and driving in the rain/snow. If you drive in the rain/snow, all the dirt, sand, salt, dust, animal droppings, and other items to numerous to mention get up in the engine compartment and all over the undercarriage. Take a look at a showroom car, then a car NOT driven in the rain/snow for a few years after sale, and then yours. If you like it that way, great. I don't for my toy cars. Not an issue for my daily drivers. For all of you that drive you cars in the winter in the northern tier with all the salt and chemicals and other crud getting into every crack and crevice of your C7, more power to you. You might think you can wash it out but you can't. Those chemicals are working on your car every day. When the weather is bad I drive my truck. Some of you view your C7s as daily driver's, daily beaters, and nothing else. The Corvette junk yards are full of cars previously owned by people like you. I waited 68 years for my C7. It is my toy and my show car (yes I plan to show it). I doubt you will show your corroded C7s but if you do, I hope mine is beside yours when the judges come around.

Last edited by BladeSilver2015; 07-18-2015 at 05:43 PM.
Old 07-18-2015, 06:09 PM
slesher
Pro

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Rain or shine the C7 gets to play. Drive with enough pace and the rain passes right over you.

Really don't understand how any C7 wins anything at a show. They are mass produced, fun as hell to drive Chevys not some exotic, classic, or limited production vehicle.

The early gens aren't produced anymore and should be the only corvettes winning anything at a show. For example, C1-3 corvettes are beautiful and only get better with age.
Old 07-18-2015, 06:34 PM
BladeSilver2015
Pro

Originally Posted by slesher
Rain or shine the C7 gets to play. Drive with enough pace and the rain passes right over you.

Good for You

Really don't understand how any C7 wins anything at a show. They are mass produced, fun as hell to drive Chevys not some exotic, classic, or limited production vehicle.

Depends on the show. The larger ones that have a number of classes offer opportunities to win.

The early gens aren't produced anymore and should be the only corvettes winning anything at a show. For example, C1-3 corvettes are beautiful and only get better with age.

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. I agree that the C2-C3 cars are beautiful. They don't get better or win anything if driven in the snow and rain.
Old 07-18-2015, 06:38 PM
Steve_R
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,289 Likes on 1,399 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. I agree that the C2-C3 cars are beautiful. They don't get better or win anything if driven in the snow and rain.
They're also appreciating in value. Your C7 is depreciating and will continue to depreciate for many, many years.

You don't understand those of us who actually use our C7s as cars. We don't understand owning a depreciating car as garage art.

To each their own.
Old 07-18-2015, 06:40 PM
BladeSilver2015
Pro

Originally Posted by Steve_R
To each their own.

That about sums it up.
Old 07-18-2015, 07:40 PM
Richard Ames
Drifting

Received 204 Likes on 162 Posts

Drove in the rain the three times this week. Still got brake dust. Went from a black 13 GS to a Shark Gray metallic and surprised how much cleaner it looks. Local car dealer has a blacked out 2013 ZR1 under 10,000 miles and it is a sweet looking but not a daily driver car.
Old 07-18-2015, 10:15 PM
WesC7
Burning Brakes

Received 23 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by LrgZ51
A C7 drives great in the rain, if there's no standing water. The tires will hydroplane if given the oportunity.
Just drive carefully....

Just as any car, truck or jet will.... 9x sqrt of tire pressure will give you an approximate speed for when your tires will start hydroplaning..... And for the engineers here...yes, I'm aware the actual factor is 8.6 or 8.7...

32 psi = approximately 51 mph
Old 07-19-2015, 01:19 AM
HolyRoller
Drifting

Received 39 Likes on 22 Posts

You could not produce enough rain to ruin my parade.
Your angry, irrational response suggests otherwise.

Let me clarify. There is a big difference between a car getting wet (washing/rained on) and driving in the rain/snow. If you drive in the rain/snow, all the dirt, sand, salt, dust, animal droppings, and other items to numerous to mention get up in the engine compartment and all over the undercarriage.
Please take a look at my location. We hardly ever have snow here. There are no animal droppings on the road, as I know from pedaling a bicycle over many of the same roads I drive on. There are entire dead animals on the road every few minutes, but I don't run over them. Dirt, salt (very little of that, as a consequence of very little snow), sand, dust, these are components of what some of us laughingly call "the real world." When these substances temporarily attach themselves to your Corvette, you wash it and carry on. It's a Chevy hatchback specifically designed to be a practical and reliable daily driver.

Take a look at a showroom car, then a car NOT driven in the rain/snow for a few years after sale, and then yours.
I have seen many showroom cars, including a few just today, and sure enough, they look newer. I was unaware that the purpose of removing a car from the showroom was to keep it looking like it was still in the showroom. You can wash and wax and vacuum and detail ANY car, but no car drives like a Corvette, so I drive mine and remain baffled by the guys who consider obsessive cleanliness to be the zenith of the Corvette experience.

If you like it that way, great.
I wish they all stayed showroom new, but they do not. At some point we must acknowledge that all systems tend toward disorder over time.

I don't for my toy cars. Not an issue for my daily drivers.
I don't distinguish between toy cars and daily drivers. At the moment, I have only one car, a 2011 1LT coupe ("Poverty Package") that has served both needs well for 95,000 miles.

For all of you that drive you cars in the winter in the northern tier with all the salt and chemicals and other crud getting into every crack and crevice of your C7, more power to you. You might think you can wash it out but you can't. Those chemicals are working on your car every day.
Irrelevant. As hard as it may be to believe, not everybody lives where you do. By the way, corrosion-proofing has improved dramatically in the last 68 years, and your assumptions may no longer be correct.

When the weather is bad I drive my truck.
Why? Any pickup truck's handling is vastly inferior to any modern Corvette's. If there's standing water, I slow down below hydroplaning speed. Come to think of it, the only on-the-road Corvette fatality I can remember around here lately occurred when a pickup truck lost control on an icy road, overcorrected, and collided head on with a C4. That's the real reason to stay home on days like that--even if you can drive on snow, there's bound to be somebody else who can't. Also, in this part of the country a whole lot of people treat their trucks like you treat your Corvette--as holy objects that cannot conceivably be allowed to get dirty. Plenty of trucks cost more new than my C6 cost new.

Some of you view your C7s as daily drivers in English, apostrophes never, but never, signify the plural, daily beaters, and nothing else.
I don't know anybody who regards his Corvette this way. I drive mine almost every day, but it is not a beater. It is well maintained and as clean as any black car can be that has to drive home over a quarter mile of dirt road. (We are accepting donations toward pavement.) Every time I look out the window at the carport, and every time I look back after I park outside the grocery store, gym, school, McDonalds, or Walmart, I feel so lucky to have a great car that makes every day special.

The Corvette junk yards are full of cars previously owned by people like you.
There are no such Corvette junkyards. If there were, they would be populated by cars that hardly ever got driven. Ask any mechanic that works a lot on exotics, and you'll hear that the worst thing you can do is let them sit without exercise.

I waited 68 years for my C7. It is my toy and my show car (yes I plan to show it).
It is no trick to keep it in show condition when you don't drive it.

I doubt you will show your corroded C7s but if you do, I hope mine is beside yours when the judges come around.
Again, corrosion-proofing has advanced quite a bit in the last 68 years. A brush-up on modern automotive technology is in order. Please show us some evidence of all these "corroded" C7s. As to what judges think, who gives a flying flip? You go win all the show awards you want without worrying about competition from me. I have real people complimenting me at least every week on my car. When I can swing a C7, I look forward to more of the same.

P.S. Just today, my C6 got rained on before I could dash outside and put the roof back in. It took me probably a whole two minutes to towel out the 1LT interior, and it looked just the same as, or cleaner than, it looked before the rain. I trust this mental image will cause you to lie awake in horror for the next few nights.
Old 07-19-2015, 03:18 AM
sandcracker21
Pro

Received 514 Likes on 182 Posts

Originally Posted by 4thC4at60

No one on his death bed ever said, "Wish I'd driven the Corvette less."
true!
Old 07-19-2015, 06:04 AM
TBF
Instructor

Received 39 Likes on 28 Posts

WoW Was I ever wrong when I opened this thread to read. I assumed it was going to talk about the weather mode and driving in the rain. I had no idea it was going to trash a poor old guy that loves his Vette. As stated to "each his own".

I would like to hear how the C7 Z51 weather driving mode works and if it is a gimmick or for real. I pick up my new c7 at the end of the month in Cali and will drive it back to Vegas. Not a big chance to see rain but I will be watching for fires!!!
Old 07-19-2015, 07:43 AM
BladeSilver2015
Pro

Originally Posted by HolyRoller
Your angry, irrational response suggests otherwise. There are no such Corvette junkyards.

You sir are the one that is angry. I could respond line by line but I don't want you to start frothing at the mouth. I must have really hit some raw nerves to elicit such a rant. Maybe feeling a little guilty about the abuse you heap on your Corvettes? Since you are a "HolyRoller," maybe going to confession will make you feel better. Oh, and there are Corvette junkyards. Take a look at some of the photos in the link below. I am sure one of them will save spot for yours.

http://www.bing.com/images/search?q=...ards&FORM=IGRE
Old 07-19-2015, 08:11 AM
slesher
Pro

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by TBF
WoW Was I ever wrong when I opened this thread to read. I assumed it was going to talk about the weather mode and driving in the rain. I had no idea it was going to trash a poor old guy that loves his Vette. As stated to "each his own".

I would like to hear how the C7 Z51 weather driving mode works and if it is a gimmick or for real. I pick up my new c7 at the end of the month in Cali and will drive it back to Vegas. Not a big chance to see rain but I will be watching for fires!!!
Weather mode works extremely well. Tested it in this past winter in the northeast and it worked flawlessly. Dials it back enough to be safe. The secret is judicious throttle control, all season or winter tire, and most importantly keeping an eye out for other drivers.

At the end of the season power wash the under carriage, clean the engine bay, and check belts etc. Only takes an hour or two and is totally worth it to be able to drive a fun car all year round

Get notified of new replies

To Driving in the rain - not what you think

Old 07-19-2015, 09:02 AM
Larry/car
Race Director

Received 621 Likes on 423 Posts

After yesterday's road trip (160 miles) I missed all the rain, not a drop. The navigation system performed flawlessly informing me of a road closed due to an accident (first time I re routed), saved a lot of time. The weather radar showed where the storms were, fortunately not on my route. I really like the weather information, would like a more detailed radar/higher resolution picture.
Old 07-19-2015, 09:30 AM
Woodson
Le Mans Master

Received 1,362 Likes on 788 Posts

You could not produce enough rain to ruin my parade. Let me clarify. Etc etc.
I guess you take you shoes off when you get it your car? Honestly you should have just gotten a poster for the wall and saved a bundle of cash.
Old 07-19-2015, 09:45 AM
BladeSilver2015
Pro

I guess you take you shoes off when you get it your car? Honestly you should have just gotten a poster for the wall and saved a bundle of cash.

Not necessary to remove shoes. I have a set of show mats that go into the car when I get to the show location. Thanks for the idea though. Have a poster as well. The car is as clean as the poster.

Quick Reply: Driving in the rain - not what you think