C7 General Discussion General C7 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Driving in the rain - not what you think

Old 07-19-2015, 09:47 AM
BladeSilver2015
Pro

Received 122 Likes on 67 Posts

OK, where are all the guys and gals that treat their cars like I do? Time to come out of the closet. I am outnumbered here.
Old 07-19-2015, 10:18 AM
owc6
Team Owner

Received 4,186 Likes on 2,679 Posts

Originally Posted by BladeSilver2015
OK, where are all the guys and gals that treat their cars like I do? Time to come out of the closet. I am outnumbered here.
I usually wash mine two times a week. I like to drive a clean car!

Sometimes, I have to wash it a third time in a week if it's raining a lot. This June was the wettest June on record around these parts, so I washed it A LOT.
Old 07-19-2015, 10:28 AM
Babaron
Burning Brakes

Received 87 Likes on 55 Posts

I live in Ohio. If you are not driving in the rain sometimes, you're not driving. That said, I shoot for dry drives whenever possible. I do wash after every 2nd or 3rd drive but use a rinseless wash product that does an excellent job. As long as you don't let it get too soiled, it works great.

Blade Silver, I understand where you are coming from. I enjoy keeping my car showroom-new looking. But, I don't do it for resale value; I got burned on that with my last car. I do it for the pure joy of detailing, and, yes I do detail the undercarriage regularly. Why? It is therapy for me. I really enjoy it. I get a real sense of accomplishment after I have finished a car. And I enjoy driving it all the more when I know it is looking showroom new. Plus, I am a firm believer that a clean car is a safe car. It is surprising how many potentially big issues can be discovered early and rectified while under a car.

So there it is. Detailing is my therapy. BTW, my wife thinks I am over medicated.

Last edited by Babaron; 07-19-2015 at 10:41 AM.
Old 07-19-2015, 10:39 AM
TBF
Instructor

Received 39 Likes on 28 Posts

Slesher / larry - thanks for the info.

Blade Silver - I appreciate your commitment to keeping your Stingray 1LT spotless. We all buy are cars for different reasons. I am picking up a Z51, 3LT to drive every day and occasionally take it to a track day. In mutual support to you as a USAF Retired Bro and fellow C7 driver, I wash and detail my cars weekly too.
Old 07-19-2015, 11:03 AM
BladeSilver2015
Pro

Originally Posted by TBF
Slesher / larry - thanks for the info.

Blade Silver - I appreciate your commitment to keeping your Stingray 1LT spotless. We all buy are cars for different reasons. I am picking up a Z51, 3LT to drive every day and occasionally take it to a track day. In mutual support to you as a USAF Retired Bro and fellow C7 driver, I wash and detail my cars weekly too.

Good to hear from another retired AF guy. I did 27 years and loved every minute of it. Retired out of the Pentagon in 1996. Been mostly playing with my toys ever since! Did not take the normal beltway bandit route but made my hobbies my jobs. Sold motorcycles and then yachts before retiring completely in 2010. Hope you enjoy your new C7.
Old 07-19-2015, 11:37 AM
Deicide
Burning Brakes

Received 69 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by TBF
WoW Was I ever wrong when I opened this thread to read. I assumed it was going to talk about the weather mode and driving in the rain. I had no idea it was going to trash a poor old guy that loves his Vette. As stated to "each his own".

I would like to hear how the C7 Z51 weather driving mode works and if it is a gimmick or for real. I pick up my new c7 at the end of the month in Cali and will drive it back to Vegas. Not a big chance to see rain but I will be watching for fires!!!
It actually works quite well (weather mode). Amazingly it rained here yesterday in the Los Angeles area. Started while I was at the office. Figured it was an opportunity to try that mode out for once. However, I think driving with caution has more to do with it. Also, not quite sure if they meant more than what we out here call "rain".
Old 07-19-2015, 11:51 AM
Deicide
Burning Brakes

All I can say is -- absolutely unbelievable. Waited 68 years to get this car. Even the thought of driving it in the rain causes me pain. With the top off? Not even in my worst nightmares.
I mean no offense but I offer you a different perceptive. If I had waited 68 years to get my dream car - I would drive the heck out of it when I finally got it. Now this doesn't mean I wouldn't take care of it. Perhaps you not driving it in the rain = taking care of it.

Myself, driving in the rain or whenever I can means I am getting the most of the miles out of it as I can. I figure when the miles get high enough, that's just an excuse to buy a new one. I did that with my 07 C6 Z51, I decided once I got past 70k miles it was time to trade in and upgrade to whatever. As I was getting closer to this self decided mileage mark, I was starting to look at C6 Z06's. However, I ended up with a C7 Z51 that I drive as much as I can. In reality, I sometimes "make up" reasons to go drive it. Just like I did with my C6.

But I am only 42, so perhaps if I were 68+ I might think differently about a new car and rain. Again, I might not. I remember when my father realized he was "on borrowed time" as he put it after being diagnosed with cancer. He started doing all the things he wanted to do AS MUCH as he could - regardless of it being or not being ideal situations (for him it was sailing). I remember him saying, life wasn't about looking at the world go by or things (in this case his sailboat) to sit there. It was experiencing them as much as one can while one is granted the time to do so. We actually expected to find him on a lake, in bad weather finally succumbed to the cancer on his sailboat one day. But also hoping for it so that he could pass while enjoying something he loved and waited to do his entire life. Oh, I guess that experiencing things one loves as much as one can included cheeseburgers and fries for him as well.
Old 07-19-2015, 12:16 PM
Woodson
Le Mans Master

Received 1,357 Likes on 785 Posts

^^
Old 07-19-2015, 12:23 PM
BladeSilver2015
Pro

Originally Posted by Deicide
I mean no offense but I offer you a different perceptive. If I had waited 68 years to get my dream car - I would drive the heck out of it when I finally got it. Now this doesn't mean I wouldn't take care of it. Perhaps you not driving it in the rain = taking care of it.

Myself, driving in the rain or whenever I can means I am getting the most of the miles out of it as I can. I figure when the miles get high enough, that's just an excuse to buy a new one. I did that with my 07 C6 Z51, I decided once I got past 70k miles it was time to trade in and upgrade to whatever. As I was getting closer to this self decided mileage mark, I was starting to look at C6 Z06's. However, I ended up with a C7 Z51 that I drive as much as I can. In reality, I sometimes "make up" reasons to go drive it. Just like I did with my C6.

But I am only 42, so perhaps if I were 68+ I might think differently about a new car and rain. Again, I might not. I remember when my father realized he was "on borrowed time" as he put it after being diagnosed with cancer. He started doing all the things he wanted to do AS MUCH as he could - regardless of it being or not being ideal situations (for him it was sailing). I remember him saying, life wasn't about looking at the world go by or things (in this case his sailboat) to sit there. It was experiencing them as much as one can while one is granted the time to do so. We actually expected to find him on a lake, in bad weather finally succumbed to the cancer on his sailboat one day. But also hoping for it so that he could pass while enjoying something he loved and waited to do his entire life. Oh, I guess that experiencing things one loves as much as one can included cheeseburgers and fries for him as well.

Interesting perspective. Thank you for sharing it. Brought to mind an enlightening video I saw recently:

https://vimeo.com/55461336

All of us on this forum are lucky to have had the chance to enjoy our Corvettes before we get to heaven (or the southern regions for some of us). However, enjoyment is defined differently for everyone.

I can relate to the story about your father. I was diagnosed with Stage 4 Lymphoma in Jan 2014. I am in remission now and hope to live for many more years. Living with this kind of reality changes some people completely. In my case, I did not change a thing. I continue to live and enjoy life as I always have with no regrets. I am thankful I was able to serve my country for 27 years. I am particularly thankful for every day I can spend with my family and doing the things I enjoy. Part of my enjoyment is taking care of my C7 as I see fit. When I am gone, maybe the next guy will drive it in the rain, snow, or even off-road. I never will.

Last edited by BladeSilver2015; 07-19-2015 at 12:26 PM.
Old 07-19-2015, 12:28 PM
oldfoggy
Pro

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by owc6
I've driven my Vert with the top down in the rain a lot.

As long as you can keep a fair amount of speed, it's no big deal. Just don't stop (or slow down enough) to put the top up, or you will get drenched. If it gets really heavy, putting up the windows helps to channel the water to the back deck, not your arm.
God created overpasses for convertible people like us.
When it pours; haul *** to an underpass!
Old 07-19-2015, 01:41 PM
TBF
Instructor

Received 39 Likes on 28 Posts

BladeSilver - I retired out of Nellis after 30 years flying fighters in 2011 (Was Active duty for 14 and AGR in the NVANG the last 16). Lucky enough to snag a job the last 4 years instructing in fighters in the Middle East. Heading home with my end of service bonus to buy a sweet LB Z51 3LT. Cant wait to take it to Big Willow, Spring Mountain, Vegas Speedway and enjoy the 350 days of blue sky in NV. FLY-FIGHT-WIN
Old 07-19-2015, 02:06 PM
BladeSilver2015
Pro

Originally Posted by TBF
BladeSilver - I retired out of Nellis after 30 years flying fighters in 2011 (Was Active duty for 14 and AGR in the NVANG the last 16). Lucky enough to snag a job the last 4 years instructing in fighters in the Middle East. Heading home with my end of service bonus to buy a sweet LB Z51 3LT. Cant wait to take it to Big Willow, Spring Mountain, Vegas Speedway and enjoy the 350 days of blue sky in NV. FLY-FIGHT-WIN

Sounds like an outstanding career!! You are one of the fortunate ones to fly the "Corvettes of the sky." Driving in the rain is not a big issue there in Las Vegas. Snow? I don't think so. But I suspect you will have to use waterless car wash due to water restrictions. I recommend Liquid Glass Detail Spray. I use it on my C7 between coats of LG.

We were out visiting our daughter there in Henderson earlier this year. Really enjoyed it. Went to visit Shelby American while there. Quite an operation. Saw the original Cobra there valued at $24M (they established that value because it was the most recent offer they turned down).

Last edited by BladeSilver2015; 07-19-2015 at 02:14 PM.
Old 07-19-2015, 03:06 PM
Steve_R
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,288 Likes on 1,399 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17

I don't understand the vitriol and insults from some in this thread directed at BladeSilver2015. He doesn't drive his C7 in the rain. Why does that offend some people?

My dad died suddenly four years ago and I was diagnosed with cancer two years ago. Those things changed my perspective on many things, including cars. I've owned more than my share of garage queens but have decided I'll never own another one. Whatever I own will be driven. A lot. Including in the rain. I've decided that life is too short and precious to save a car for the next owner. If that diminishes the value of my C7 I'm perfectly fine with that.

BladeSilver, enjoy your C7 as you see fit, not as others think you should. From one retired veteran (USN) to another, thank you for your service.
Old 07-19-2015, 03:11 PM
skyscraperac7
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Woodson
I'll try to remember to post photos this winter with twin rooster tails in the snow.
And don't use your windshield washers with the top down either. It comes around the left side oe windshield and gets you in the face.
Old 07-19-2015, 03:30 PM
BladeSilver2015
Pro

Originally Posted by Steve_R

I was diagnosed with cancer two years ago.

There are a lot more like us out there than I like to think about.

Thank you for your service.

And thank you for yours as well. Were I a young toad, I would do it all over again. Our country needs dedicated warriors now more than ever before.

Old 07-19-2015, 03:34 PM
Deicide
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Steve_R
I don't understand the vitriol and insults from some in this thread directed at BladeSilver2015. He doesn't drive his C7 in the rain. Why does that offend some people?
I'm quite certain you are not new to the internet, nor to forums. I think it's really just the unfortunate nature of people/society. If one takes some time to look around the internet. One can find facts about many things (when done digging through misinformation). Many forums based around different interests can have many "fact based" discussions that go on for page after page in an actual disussion.

So, to change that - enter a topic that is opinion based. Many of these threads eventually dissolve into arguments, insults, conjecture, speculation, etc. For the most part however this is to be expected. If I remember correctly from psycology this is a side effect of the nature of "confirmation bias".

It goes from two sides too. For example, I would present BladeSilver2015's initial post:

All I can say is -- absolutely unbelievable. Waited 68 years to get this car. Even the thought of driving it in the rain causes me pain. With the top off? Not even in my worst nightmares.
Now, I'm sure this is an exaggeration. At least I would hope that this doesn't cause actual measureable pain. I would suggest that BladeSilver2015 has led quite a blessed life if a rain driven Corvette is the worst thing he can think of in life/nightmare. Personally, I think there are many worse things in life then rain on a dream car. But as many have stated (in one form or another) - to each their own.

Now, not to make BladeSilver2015 the only target here. Perhaps the "insults" as you refer to them back are people exercising their "confirmation bias" when presented with an opinion contrary to their own. Enter many others with their opinions contrary to BladeSilver2015's. Is either side in the right? I don't think so, because I don't see either side as being in the wrong.

Yes, I realize I have just presented yet another opinion open for debate.

I digress, there are many threads like this, such is the nature of internet forums. Take it, leave it. But no one is innocent once they make the choice to enter the "conversation"

Just take a look at the C7 Arctic White thread sometime on the opinion of black vs. chrome wheels.

Either way, to each their own - including their rights to express their opinions and views. gets off soapbox
Old 07-19-2015, 03:38 PM
Deicide
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by probono
So I wanted to take my wife to her doctor's appointment about 20 miles from our house as an excuse to drive my C7 coupe. Targa top was off, and I checked 5 weather sites, all of which said 0% of precipitation for the afternoon. Radar looked threatening, but hey, 5 weather sites can't all be wrong, right?

All I can say is that at speed, even with moderate rain, you're gonna be dry in the cockpit with the exception of the water that flows off the windshield molding, right onto your shirt sleeves.

Mystery why we didn't put the top in the cargo area...old and forgetful, or optimistic, I guess.

No harm other than a little water on the door arm rests...sort of like riding a motorcycle with a windshield in the rain...the water just blows over your head.

Good excuse for a wash tomorrow anyway.

Ken
I'm likely wrong, I often am. But I'm thinking this is not what you thought the thread would be either...speaking of "not what you think".

Get notified of new replies

To Driving in the rain - not what you think

Old 07-19-2015, 05:44 PM
vettesmith02
Safety Car

Received 35 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by Curahee
Maybe we should form a caravan to California with tops down and targas off. Drought problem solved.

Old 07-19-2015, 06:44 PM
Black&White
Drifting

Received 140 Likes on 96 Posts

Originally Posted by probono
So I wanted to take my wife to her doctor's appointment about 20 miles from our house as an excuse to drive my C7 coupe. Targa top was off, and I checked 5 weather sites, all of which said 0% of precipitation for the afternoon. Radar looked threatening, but hey, 5 weather sites can't all be wrong, right?

All I can say is that at speed, even with moderate rain, you're gonna be dry in the cockpit with the exception of the water that flows off the windshield molding, right onto your shirt sleeves.

Mystery why we didn't put the top in the cargo area...old and forgetful, or optimistic, I guess.

No harm other than a little water on the door arm rests...sort of like riding a motorcycle with a windshield in the rain...the water just blows over your head.

Good excuse for a wash tomorrow anyway.

Ken
I got caught on the expressway once in my C6 Vert never got wet until I made the big mistake by turning the wipers on!
Old 07-19-2015, 07:54 PM
probono
Pro

Received 91 Likes on 68 Posts

All I was trying to relate is that at speed, there is very little water intrusion, even with the top off. A little history...I once drove my '98 Goldwing from Ann Arbor to Syracuse..about 510 miles, in moderate to heavy rain...my sneakers were barely wet, and that was from when I stopped for gas...biker background...many goldwing guys complain about wind buffeting, and as my HD friends point out...if you don't want wind, drive a car! LOL! Live where it rains, and you have three choices...don't drive the car, drive with the top on, or take your chances...I'm still alive and kicking after a drive in the rain...

Drive on...

Ken

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Driving in the rain - not what you think