Notices
C7 General Discussion General C7 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Driving in the rain - not what you think

 
Old 07-19-2015, 10:47 AM
  #41  
BladeSilver2015
CF Senior Member
 
BladeSilver2015's Avatar
 
Member Since: May 2015
Location: Florida
Posts: 592
Thanked 115 Times in 65 Posts
Default

OK, where are all the guys and gals that treat their cars like I do? Time to come out of the closet. I am outnumbered here.
BladeSilver2015 is offline  
Old 07-19-2015, 11:18 AM
  #42  
owc6
CF Senior Member
 
owc6's Avatar
 
Member Since: Apr 2013
Location: Broomes Island, MD
Posts: 14,924
Thanked 2,278 Times in 1,617 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by BladeSilver2015 View Post
OK, where are all the guys and gals that treat their cars like I do? Time to come out of the closet. I am outnumbered here.
I usually wash mine two times a week. I like to drive a clean car!







Sometimes, I have to wash it a third time in a week if it's raining a lot. This June was the wettest June on record around these parts, so I washed it A LOT.
owc6 is online now  
Old 07-19-2015, 11:28 AM
  #43  
Babaron
CF Senior Member
 
Babaron's Avatar
 
Member Since: Oct 2012
Location: SW Ohio
Posts: 974
Thanked 80 Times in 52 Posts
Default

I live in Ohio. If you are not driving in the rain sometimes, you're not driving. That said, I shoot for dry drives whenever possible. I do wash after every 2nd or 3rd drive but use a rinseless wash product that does an excellent job. As long as you don't let it get too soiled, it works great.

Blade Silver, I understand where you are coming from. I enjoy keeping my car showroom-new looking. But, I don't do it for resale value; I got burned on that with my last car. I do it for the pure joy of detailing, and, yes I do detail the undercarriage regularly. Why? It is therapy for me. I really enjoy it. I get a real sense of accomplishment after I have finished a car. And I enjoy driving it all the more when I know it is looking showroom new. Plus, I am a firm believer that a clean car is a safe car. It is surprising how many potentially big issues can be discovered early and rectified while under a car.

So there it is. Detailing is my therapy. BTW, my wife thinks I am over medicated.

Last edited by Babaron; 07-19-2015 at 11:41 AM.
Babaron is offline  
Old 07-19-2015, 11:39 AM
  #44  
TBF
CF Senior Member
 
Member Since: Jun 2015
Location: Spring Branch TX
Posts: 146
Thanked 13 Times in 10 Posts
Default

Slesher / larry - thanks for the info.

Blade Silver - I appreciate your commitment to keeping your Stingray 1LT spotless. We all buy are cars for different reasons. I am picking up a Z51, 3LT to drive every day and occasionally take it to a track day. In mutual support to you as a USAF Retired Bro and fellow C7 driver, I wash and detail my cars weekly too.
TBF is offline  
Old 07-19-2015, 12:03 PM
  #45  
BladeSilver2015
CF Senior Member
 
BladeSilver2015's Avatar
 
Member Since: May 2015
Location: Florida
Posts: 592
Thanked 115 Times in 65 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by TBF View Post
Slesher / larry - thanks for the info.

Blade Silver - I appreciate your commitment to keeping your Stingray 1LT spotless. We all buy are cars for different reasons. I am picking up a Z51, 3LT to drive every day and occasionally take it to a track day. In mutual support to you as a USAF Retired Bro and fellow C7 driver, I wash and detail my cars weekly too.

Good to hear from another retired AF guy. I did 27 years and loved every minute of it. Retired out of the Pentagon in 1996. Been mostly playing with my toys ever since! Did not take the normal beltway bandit route but made my hobbies my jobs. Sold motorcycles and then yachts before retiring completely in 2010. Hope you enjoy your new C7.
BladeSilver2015 is offline  
Old 07-19-2015, 12:37 PM
  #46  
Deicide
CF Senior Member
 
Deicide's Avatar
 
Member Since: Feb 2011
Location: Lakewood CA
Posts: 686
Thanked 38 Times in 29 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by TBF View Post
WoW Was I ever wrong when I opened this thread to read. I assumed it was going to talk about the weather mode and driving in the rain. I had no idea it was going to trash a poor old guy that loves his Vette. As stated to "each his own".

I would like to hear how the C7 Z51 weather driving mode works and if it is a gimmick or for real. I pick up my new c7 at the end of the month in Cali and will drive it back to Vegas. Not a big chance to see rain but I will be watching for fires!!!
It actually works quite well (weather mode). Amazingly it rained here yesterday in the Los Angeles area. Started while I was at the office. Figured it was an opportunity to try that mode out for once. However, I think driving with caution has more to do with it. Also, not quite sure if they meant more than what we out here call "rain".
Deicide is offline  
Old 07-19-2015, 12:51 PM
  #47  
Deicide
CF Senior Member
 
Deicide's Avatar
 
Member Since: Feb 2011
Location: Lakewood CA
Posts: 686
Thanked 38 Times in 29 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by BladeSilver2015 View Post
All I can say is -- absolutely unbelievable. Waited 68 years to get this car. Even the thought of driving it in the rain causes me pain. With the top off? Not even in my worst nightmares.
I mean no offense but I offer you a different perceptive. If I had waited 68 years to get my dream car - I would drive the heck out of it when I finally got it. Now this doesn't mean I wouldn't take care of it. Perhaps you not driving it in the rain = taking care of it.

Myself, driving in the rain or whenever I can means I am getting the most of the miles out of it as I can. I figure when the miles get high enough, that's just an excuse to buy a new one. I did that with my 07 C6 Z51, I decided once I got past 70k miles it was time to trade in and upgrade to whatever. As I was getting closer to this self decided mileage mark, I was starting to look at C6 Z06's. However, I ended up with a C7 Z51 that I drive as much as I can. In reality, I sometimes "make up" reasons to go drive it. Just like I did with my C6.

But I am only 42, so perhaps if I were 68+ I might think differently about a new car and rain. Again, I might not. I remember when my father realized he was "on borrowed time" as he put it after being diagnosed with cancer. He started doing all the things he wanted to do AS MUCH as he could - regardless of it being or not being ideal situations (for him it was sailing). I remember him saying, life wasn't about looking at the world go by or things (in this case his sailboat) to sit there. It was experiencing them as much as one can while one is granted the time to do so. We actually expected to find him on a lake, in bad weather finally succumbed to the cancer on his sailboat one day. But also hoping for it so that he could pass while enjoying something he loved and waited to do his entire life. Oh, I guess that experiencing things one loves as much as one can included cheeseburgers and fries for him as well.
Deicide is offline  
Old 07-19-2015, 01:16 PM
  #48  
Woodson
CF Senior Member
 
Woodson's Avatar
 
Member Since: Dec 2013
Location: Calgary Alberta
Posts: 4,656
Thanked 801 Times in 472 Posts
Default

^^
Woodson is offline  
Old 07-19-2015, 01:23 PM
  #49  
BladeSilver2015
CF Senior Member
 
BladeSilver2015's Avatar
 
Member Since: May 2015
Location: Florida
Posts: 592
Thanked 115 Times in 65 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Deicide View Post
I mean no offense but I offer you a different perceptive. If I had waited 68 years to get my dream car - I would drive the heck out of it when I finally got it. Now this doesn't mean I wouldn't take care of it. Perhaps you not driving it in the rain = taking care of it.

Myself, driving in the rain or whenever I can means I am getting the most of the miles out of it as I can. I figure when the miles get high enough, that's just an excuse to buy a new one. I did that with my 07 C6 Z51, I decided once I got past 70k miles it was time to trade in and upgrade to whatever. As I was getting closer to this self decided mileage mark, I was starting to look at C6 Z06's. However, I ended up with a C7 Z51 that I drive as much as I can. In reality, I sometimes "make up" reasons to go drive it. Just like I did with my C6.

But I am only 42, so perhaps if I were 68+ I might think differently about a new car and rain. Again, I might not. I remember when my father realized he was "on borrowed time" as he put it after being diagnosed with cancer. He started doing all the things he wanted to do AS MUCH as he could - regardless of it being or not being ideal situations (for him it was sailing). I remember him saying, life wasn't about looking at the world go by or things (in this case his sailboat) to sit there. It was experiencing them as much as one can while one is granted the time to do so. We actually expected to find him on a lake, in bad weather finally succumbed to the cancer on his sailboat one day. But also hoping for it so that he could pass while enjoying something he loved and waited to do his entire life. Oh, I guess that experiencing things one loves as much as one can included cheeseburgers and fries for him as well.

Interesting perspective. Thank you for sharing it. Brought to mind an enlightening video I saw recently:


https://vimeo.com/55461336


All of us on this forum are lucky to have had the chance to enjoy our Corvettes before we get to heaven (or the southern regions for some of us). However, enjoyment is defined differently for everyone.


I can relate to the story about your father. I was diagnosed with Stage 4 Lymphoma in Jan 2014. I am in remission now and hope to live for many more years. Living with this kind of reality changes some people completely. In my case, I did not change a thing. I continue to live and enjoy life as I always have with no regrets. I am thankful I was able to serve my country for 27 years. I am particularly thankful for every day I can spend with my family and doing the things I enjoy. Part of my enjoyment is taking care of my C7 as I see fit. When I am gone, maybe the next guy will drive it in the rain, snow, or even off-road. I never will.

Last edited by BladeSilver2015; 07-19-2015 at 01:26 PM.
BladeSilver2015 is offline  
Old 07-19-2015, 01:28 PM
  #50  
oldfoggy
CF Senior Member
 
oldfoggy's Avatar
 
Member Since: Feb 2015
Location: Half Moon Bay Caifornia
Posts: 463
Thanked 15 Times in 13 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by owc6 View Post
I've driven my Vert with the top down in the rain a lot.

As long as you can keep a fair amount of speed, it's no big deal. Just don't stop (or slow down enough) to put the top up, or you will get drenched. If it gets really heavy, putting up the windows helps to channel the water to the back deck, not your arm.
God created overpasses for convertible people like us.
When it pours; haul *** to an underpass!
oldfoggy is offline  
Old 07-19-2015, 02:41 PM
  #51  
TBF
CF Senior Member
 
Member Since: Jun 2015
Location: Spring Branch TX
Posts: 146
Thanked 13 Times in 10 Posts
Default

BladeSilver - I retired out of Nellis after 30 years flying fighters in 2011 (Was Active duty for 14 and AGR in the NVANG the last 16). Lucky enough to snag a job the last 4 years instructing in fighters in the Middle East. Heading home with my end of service bonus to buy a sweet LB Z51 3LT. Cant wait to take it to Big Willow, Spring Mountain, Vegas Speedway and enjoy the 350 days of blue sky in NV. FLY-FIGHT-WIN
TBF is offline  
Old 07-19-2015, 03:06 PM
  #52  
BladeSilver2015
CF Senior Member
 
BladeSilver2015's Avatar
 
Member Since: May 2015
Location: Florida
Posts: 592
Thanked 115 Times in 65 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by TBF View Post
BladeSilver - I retired out of Nellis after 30 years flying fighters in 2011 (Was Active duty for 14 and AGR in the NVANG the last 16). Lucky enough to snag a job the last 4 years instructing in fighters in the Middle East. Heading home with my end of service bonus to buy a sweet LB Z51 3LT. Cant wait to take it to Big Willow, Spring Mountain, Vegas Speedway and enjoy the 350 days of blue sky in NV. FLY-FIGHT-WIN

Sounds like an outstanding career!! You are one of the fortunate ones to fly the "Corvettes of the sky." Driving in the rain is not a big issue there in Las Vegas. Snow? I don't think so. But I suspect you will have to use waterless car wash due to water restrictions. I recommend Liquid Glass Detail Spray. I use it on my C7 between coats of LG.


We were out visiting our daughter there in Henderson earlier this year. Really enjoyed it. Went to visit Shelby American while there. Quite an operation. Saw the original Cobra there valued at $24M (they established that value because it was the most recent offer they turned down).

Last edited by BladeSilver2015; 07-19-2015 at 03:14 PM.
BladeSilver2015 is offline  
Old 07-19-2015, 04:06 PM
  #53  
Steve_R
Nuclear Dude
Support Corvetteforum!
 
Steve_R's Avatar
 
Member Since: Mar 2012
Location: In an airport lounge
Posts: 26,605
Thanked 2,123 Times in 960 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17
Default

I don't understand the vitriol and insults from some in this thread directed at BladeSilver2015. He doesn't drive his C7 in the rain. Why does that offend some people?

My dad died suddenly four years ago and I was diagnosed with cancer two years ago. Those things changed my perspective on many things, including cars. I've owned more than my share of garage queens but have decided I'll never own another one. Whatever I own will be driven. A lot. Including in the rain. I've decided that life is too short and precious to save a car for the next owner. If that diminishes the value of my C7 I'm perfectly fine with that.

BladeSilver, enjoy your C7 as you see fit, not as others think you should. From one retired veteran (USN) to another, thank you for your service.
Steve_R is offline  
Old 07-19-2015, 04:11 PM
  #54  
skyscraperac7
Junior Member
Support Corvetteforum!
 
Member Since: Dec 2013
Location: Richfield Ohio
Posts: 26
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Woodson View Post
I'll try to remember to post photos this winter with twin rooster tails in the snow.
And don't use your windshield washers with the top down either. It comes around the left side oe windshield and gets you in the face.
skyscraperac7 is offline  
Old 07-19-2015, 04:30 PM
  #55  
BladeSilver2015
CF Senior Member
 
BladeSilver2015's Avatar
 
Member Since: May 2015
Location: Florida
Posts: 592
Thanked 115 Times in 65 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Steve_R View Post


I was diagnosed with cancer two years ago.


There are a lot more like us out there than I like to think about.


Thank you for your service.


And thank you for yours as well. Were I a young toad, I would do it all over again. Our country needs dedicated warriors now more than ever before.


BladeSilver2015 is offline  
Old 07-19-2015, 04:34 PM
  #56  
Deicide
CF Senior Member
 
Deicide's Avatar
 
Member Since: Feb 2011
Location: Lakewood CA
Posts: 686
Thanked 38 Times in 29 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Steve_R View Post
I don't understand the vitriol and insults from some in this thread directed at BladeSilver2015. He doesn't drive his C7 in the rain. Why does that offend some people?
I'm quite certain you are not new to the internet, nor to forums. I think it's really just the unfortunate nature of people/society. If one takes some time to look around the internet. One can find facts about many things (when done digging through misinformation). Many forums based around different interests can have many "fact based" discussions that go on for page after page in an actual disussion.

So, to change that - enter a topic that is opinion based. Many of these threads eventually dissolve into arguments, insults, conjecture, speculation, etc. For the most part however this is to be expected. If I remember correctly from psycology this is a side effect of the nature of "confirmation bias".

It goes from two sides too. For example, I would present BladeSilver2015's initial post:

Originally Posted by BladeSilver2015 View Post
All I can say is -- absolutely unbelievable. Waited 68 years to get this car. Even the thought of driving it in the rain causes me pain. With the top off? Not even in my worst nightmares.
Now, I'm sure this is an exaggeration. At least I would hope that this doesn't cause actual measureable pain. I would suggest that BladeSilver2015 has led quite a blessed life if a rain driven Corvette is the worst thing he can think of in life/nightmare. Personally, I think there are many worse things in life then rain on a dream car. But as many have stated (in one form or another) - to each their own.

Now, not to make BladeSilver2015 the only target here. Perhaps the "insults" as you refer to them back are people exercising their "confirmation bias" when presented with an opinion contrary to their own. Enter many others with their opinions contrary to BladeSilver2015's. Is either side in the right? I don't think so, because I don't see either side as being in the wrong.

Yes, I realize I have just presented yet another opinion open for debate.

I digress, there are many threads like this, such is the nature of internet forums. Take it, leave it. But no one is innocent once they make the choice to enter the "conversation"

Just take a look at the C7 Arctic White thread sometime on the opinion of black vs. chrome wheels.

Either way, to each their own - including their rights to express their opinions and views. gets off soapbox
Deicide is offline  
Old 07-19-2015, 04:38 PM
  #57  
Deicide
CF Senior Member
 
Deicide's Avatar
 
Member Since: Feb 2011
Location: Lakewood CA
Posts: 686
Thanked 38 Times in 29 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by probono View Post
So I wanted to take my wife to her doctor's appointment about 20 miles from our house as an excuse to drive my C7 coupe. Targa top was off, and I checked 5 weather sites, all of which said 0% of precipitation for the afternoon. Radar looked threatening, but hey, 5 weather sites can't all be wrong, right?

All I can say is that at speed, even with moderate rain, you're gonna be dry in the cockpit with the exception of the water that flows off the windshield molding, right onto your shirt sleeves.

Mystery why we didn't put the top in the cargo area...old and forgetful, or optimistic, I guess.

No harm other than a little water on the door arm rests...sort of like riding a motorcycle with a windshield in the rain...the water just blows over your head.

Good excuse for a wash tomorrow anyway.

Ken
I'm likely wrong, I often am. But I'm thinking this is not what you thought the thread would be either...speaking of "not what you think".

Deicide is offline  
Old 07-19-2015, 06:44 PM
  #58  
vettesmith02
CF Senior Member
 
vettesmith02's Avatar
 
Member Since: Mar 2006
Location: Godfrey IL
Posts: 4,554
Thanked 35 Times in 34 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Curahee View Post
Maybe we should form a caravan to California with tops down and targas off. Drought problem solved.



vettesmith02 is offline  
Old 07-19-2015, 07:44 PM
  #59  
Black&White
CF Senior Member
 
Member Since: Jun 2015
Posts: 1,412
Thanked 134 Times in 92 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by probono View Post
So I wanted to take my wife to her doctor's appointment about 20 miles from our house as an excuse to drive my C7 coupe. Targa top was off, and I checked 5 weather sites, all of which said 0% of precipitation for the afternoon. Radar looked threatening, but hey, 5 weather sites can't all be wrong, right?

All I can say is that at speed, even with moderate rain, you're gonna be dry in the cockpit with the exception of the water that flows off the windshield molding, right onto your shirt sleeves.

Mystery why we didn't put the top in the cargo area...old and forgetful, or optimistic, I guess.

No harm other than a little water on the door arm rests...sort of like riding a motorcycle with a windshield in the rain...the water just blows over your head.

Good excuse for a wash tomorrow anyway.

Ken
I got caught on the expressway once in my C6 Vert never got wet until I made the big mistake by turning the wipers on!
Black&White is offline  
Old 07-19-2015, 08:54 PM
  #60  
probono
CF Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
probono's Avatar
 
Member Since: Dec 2014
Location: Dewitt New York
Posts: 561
Thanked 70 Times in 56 Posts
Default

All I was trying to relate is that at speed, there is very little water intrusion, even with the top off. A little history...I once drove my '98 Goldwing from Ann Arbor to Syracuse..about 510 miles, in moderate to heavy rain...my sneakers were barely wet, and that was from when I stopped for gas...biker background...many goldwing guys complain about wind buffeting, and as my HD friends point out...if you don't want wind, drive a car! LOL! Live where it rains, and you have three choices...don't drive the car, drive with the top on, or take your chances...I'm still alive and kicking after a drive in the rain...

Drive on...

Ken
probono is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Driving in the rain - not what you think


Sponsored Ads
Vendor Directory

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
 
  • Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: