Sponsored by:

GM Service Bulletin for Z51 Oil Level?

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2015, 09:36 AM
REDBLUR
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

Default GM Service Bulletin for Z51 Oil Level?

Does anyone know if there is an official GM service bulletin for the oil level/capacity issue?

Had my oil changed at 500 miles and checked oil yesterday, after a drive and for first time since the oil change (800 miles now). Level is about 5/8" above top of hatched area.

What volume does the hatched area represent? I've got to suck some oil out of the reservoir today.
Old 07-19-2015, 09:54 AM
03 SILVER
Racer

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by REDBLUR
Does anyone know if there is an official GM service bulletin for the oil level/capacity issue?

Had my oil changed at 500 miles and checked oil yesterday, after a drive and for first time since the oil change (800 miles now). Level is about 5/8" above top of hatched area.

What volume does the hatched area represent? I've got to suck some oil out of the reservoir today.
If you do a search, you will find lots of information on oil capacity requirements for a Z51.

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...acity+2014+z51
Old 07-19-2015, 09:55 AM
JC 2004
Racer

Received 82 Likes on 63 Posts

There are a few threads on this but how long did you wait after you turned off the motor to check the level?

I'll try to find the sticky. Ok here is the master list sticky and just go to engine maintenance. A lot of great info in the sticky.
On my car I use a little over 9 to get it about 1/2 on marks at 10 min after turning off motor once up to temp. But it really depends how much you get out of the car. I uses race ramps and the tail is still on the ground. A lift at a dealer may yield a slightly different amount. Also, and I hate to say it, I doubt the tech is warming up the car before checking and topping off.
https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...-stingray.html

Also make sure you got Mobil 1, there has been a lot of confusion at the dealer level about what oil to use.

Last edited by JC 2004; 07-19-2015 at 10:04 AM.
Old 07-19-2015, 10:14 AM
REDBLUR
Instructor

Cruise-In II Veteran

Originally Posted by JC 2004
There are a few threads on this but how long did you wait after you turned off the motor to check the level?

I'll try to find the sticky. Ok here is the master list sticky and just go to engine maintenance. A lot of great info in the sticky.
On my car I use a little over 9 to get it about 1/2 on marks at 10 min after turning off motor once up to temp. But it really depends how much you get out of the car. I uses race ramps and the tail is still on the ground. A lift at a dealer may yield a slightly different amount. Also, and I hate to say it, I doubt the tech is warming up the car before checking and topping off.
https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...-stingray.html

Also make sure you got Mobil 1, there has been a lot of confusion at the dealer level about what oil to use.
I waited 7-8 minutes after I turned it off. The dealer was aware of the Mobil 1 requirement. Also, I walked out to the service bay and said to the tech "Mobil 1, right?". He said yes.
Old 07-19-2015, 10:21 AM
JC 2004
Racer

I waited 7-8 minutes after I turned it off. The dealer was aware of the Mobil 1 requirement. Also, I walked out to the service bay and said to the tech "Mobil 1, right?". He said yes.
That's perfect. Tech probably filled it to the top cold.
Old 07-19-2015, 10:25 AM
REDBLUR
Instructor

Cruise-In II Veteran

Thanks 03 Silver and JC 2004 for those links. I appreciate your help. I read those posts some time ago. I was really hoping to know if GM has issued an official service bulletin to dealers about the issue.
Old 07-19-2015, 10:28 AM
JC 2004
Racer

Thanks 03 Silver and JC 2004 for those links. I appreciate your help. I read those posts some time ago. I was really hoping to know if GM has issued an official service bulletin to dealers about the issue.
I'm calling a buddy of mine at my old dealership tomorrow so I'll ask him to run a search and see if anything comes up. But there are some very knowledgable people on the forum that may have the ability to tell you sooner.

Last edited by JC 2004; 07-19-2015 at 10:30 AM.
Old 07-19-2015, 11:27 AM
bob guzzy
Safety Car

Received 41 Likes on 37 Posts

Drive the car for at least 1/2 hour, take it for a nice ride, then let the car stand on a somewhat level surface for 10 minutes.

The level should be somewhere in the cross hatched marks above them is too much, with 9.5 quarts mine is right in the middle.

Get notified of new replies

To GM Service Bulletin for Z51 Oil Level?

Quick Reply: GM Service Bulletin for Z51 Oil Level?