C7 General Discussion General C7 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How much storage in trunk with targa top stowed?

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2015, 06:56 PM
vertigogo
Pro

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
Default How much storage in trunk with targa top stowed?

I'm a C6 convertible owner, and am very happy with my car, but have been considering maybe getting a C7 coupe in the future, when the prices come down a bit more. Because I love the top-down experience, I would probably leave the targa roof off most of the time, but I wonder whether I would be able to stow anything in the trunk with the targa roof in there.

I'd appreciate hearing the experiences of coupe owners who have put things in the back while the top is off. Photos of luggage, packages, etc., on top of or under the targa roof would be great.

Also, is there a product sold for protecting the targa roof from being scratched by other stowed objects? I know I could just use a towel or something, but it wouldn't look very good in such a beautiful car.

I take my boys to their baseball games, and need to throw their gear bags in the back. They fit fine in my convertible trunk, but I'd like to know about the coupe. (Yes, I know I could go look at a C7 at the dealer, but I want to hear about actual owners' experiences.)
Old 07-20-2015, 07:22 PM
lottavettes
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

I get two golf bags and a soft side suitcase when top not stowed. With the top in there, I could get my softside suitcase underneath. I remember getting a lot of groceries and all of them fit underneath.

Never put anything on top of the top yet. There is room.
Old 07-20-2015, 07:31 PM
vertigogo
Pro

Originally Posted by lottavettes
I get two golf bags and a soft side suitcase when top not stowed. With the top in there, I could get my softside suitcase underneath. I remember getting a lot of groceries and all of them fit underneath.
Interesting. So there's quite a bit of space under the targa roof when stowed? I assume you have to lift up the roof to fit anything under it, and be careful that the things are not too tall, right? Do you use the space underneath rather than the space on top for any particular reason?

Thanks for the reply.
Old 07-20-2015, 07:54 PM
Woodson
Le Mans Master

Received 1,362 Likes on 788 Posts

Originally Posted by vertigogo
Interesting. So there's quite a bit of space under the targa roof when stowed? I assume you have to lift up the roof to fit anything under it, and be careful that the things are not too tall, right? Do you use the space underneath rather than the space on top for any particular reason?

Thanks for the reply.
It would have to be pretty flat. Yes, you have to lift the panel to get anything under it. No way would I put anything on top of the panel. From what you've said, if I were you I would get a convertible.
Old 07-20-2015, 08:13 PM
vertigogo
Pro

Originally Posted by Woodson
No way would I put anything on top of the panel.
Because the roof is too fragile to carry any weight, or because you don't want to scratch it? If the latter, it could be protected with something.

I've always had convertible Corvettes, and just thought I'd try a coupe for a change. But that's why I'm asking, so I can make an informed decision.

Thanks.
Old 07-20-2015, 10:23 PM
Indy-hp
Le Mans Master

Received 65 Likes on 56 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09

The space under the top when stowed can be accessed from inside the passenger compartment by tipping a seat back forward. The space on top of the top is maybe 12 inches at the front edge and tapers to almost zero at the back and anything placed there would slide around, and block the view out the back. The top is carbon fiber with a magnesium frame and is very strong, but of course the paint could be scratched and I would advise against placing anythig on it for all of these reasons. There is some cargo space in front of the top and behind the seats for taller stuff, but it is fairly narrow.
Old 07-20-2015, 10:46 PM
Woodson
Le Mans Master

Yes, top would get scratched no matter what if you put stuff on it.
Old 07-21-2015, 08:09 AM
Sir Nuke
Drifting

Received 425 Likes on 245 Posts

vertigogo....to answer the second part of your question, GM actually makes a bag specifically for the Targa top. In fact you could have even ordered it with your car, but you can get one through the parts department. The PN# is 23148691. or get one through GP Parts Direct http://www.gmpartsdirect.com/results.cfm BUT its actually made to protect the top when you store it somewhere other then in the back. It has the C7 logo on it had has handles to carry it.

Name:  Top Carry Bag.jpg
Views: 4215
Size:  8.5 KB
Old 07-21-2015, 09:51 AM
Woodson
Le Mans Master

Right, but that won't work in the car. I know you know that but wanted to clarify for op.
Old 07-21-2015, 11:12 AM
gotmyc7
Intermediate

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

I'm a C6 convertible owner, and am very happy with my car, but have been considering maybe getting a C7 coupe in the future, when the prices come down a bit more. Because I love the top-down experience, I would probably leave the targa roof off most of the time, but I wonder whether I would be able to stow anything in the trunk with the targa roof in there.

I'd appreciate hearing the experiences of coupe owners who have put things in the back while the top is off. Photos of luggage, packages, etc., on top of or under the targa roof would be great.

Also, is there a product sold for protecting the targa roof from being scratched by other stowed objects? I know I could just use a towel or something, but it wouldn't look very good in such a beautiful car.

I take my boys to their baseball games, and need to throw their gear bags in the back. They fit fine in my convertible trunk, but I'd like to know about the coupe. (Yes, I know I could go look at a C7 at the dealer, but I want to hear about actual owners' experiences.)

I have been on two weekend trips with my car in the 6 weeks of ownership. Golf trip: I use soft luggage to not scratch anything, my larger bag fit in front of the stored top, against the back of the front seat. One set of clubs in a standard bag did fit under the top. My car wash stuff fit well in the under floor storage compartment. Anniversary trip: Celebrated 25th with my wife, everything fit. We did use a hanging bag that laid on top of cooler and bag just behind driver seat. Visability was obstructed some. We did buy a soft cooler that fit in front of stored top. I have to say I was very surprised at the amount of stuff we could pack using some creativity.
Old 07-21-2015, 11:52 AM
aj98
Melting Slicks

Received 168 Likes on 137 Posts

Depends on the shape of what you want to put in there.
For roof-on storage, b/c of the narrow (compared to the C5/6) back glass, bit more difficult to get taller boxes in there.

As you are no doubt aware hardest part of owning any generation C is learning how to pack it.

I normally use my SUV when I go to the range, but earlier this year, it was too nice of a day, so I learned how to pack the C7.

I was able to get 2x rifle cases (one flat, one air-glide), couple green cans, scope, mat, shooting jacket, glove...all the things you may need for a fun day at the range...in the back and still take the top off and store it. and had some room left over.

Last edited by aj98; 07-21-2015 at 11:56 AM.
Old 07-21-2015, 12:46 PM
Sir Nuke
Drifting

Received 425 Likes on 245 Posts

Originally Posted by Woodson
Right, but that won't work in the car. I know you know that but wanted to clarify for op.
exactly.....which is why in the next to last sentence I mentioned that they are for storing the top somewhere other than in the back of the car.
Old 07-21-2015, 01:18 PM
vertigogo
Pro

Thanks to everyone for the helpful responses. Any photos of luggage with the top stowed would be icing on the cake.

I was surprised to hear that "a set of clubs in a standard bag did fit under the top." I'll have to go into a dealership and look at the top with my own eyes now.
Old 07-21-2015, 05:06 PM
alamo1974
Drifting

Received 82 Likes on 73 Posts

Thanks to everyone for the helpful responses. Any photos of luggage with the top stowed would be icing on the cake.

I was surprised to hear that "a set of clubs in a standard bag did fit under the top." I'll have to go into a dealership and look at the top with my own eyes now.
I know I am not the sharpest knife in the drawer, but I never put the top in the cargo area. Top comes off only on sunny days cruising in the city.
Old 07-21-2015, 05:19 PM
jerry07dx
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

almost identical to the C6
Old 07-21-2015, 05:21 PM
vertigogo
Pro

Originally Posted by alamo1974
I never put the top in the cargo area. Top comes off only on sunny days cruising in the city.
That's a good point, and I would probably find a convenient place to put the top in my garage most of the time. We rarely get unexpected rain here in California, so I would be unlikely to get caught out by that. And I almost always leave my convertible top down at stores and restaurants, so I would also do that with a targa. But I'm sure there would be times when I wanted to have the top in the back and also wanted to carry something, so it's good to hear about how others manage.
Old 07-21-2015, 05:24 PM
vertigogo
Pro

Originally Posted by jerry07dx
almost identical to the C6
I'm not sure what the "crazy" emoticon is supposed to mean. I have never had a Corvette coupe, so I wouldn't know anything about targa storage in a C6, either.
Old 07-21-2015, 06:47 PM
jerry07dx
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm not sure what the "crazy" emoticon is supposed to mean. I have never had a Corvette coupe, so I wouldn't know anything about targa storage in a C6, either.

I guessed I missed the convertible part but it's still the same amount as a C6 coupe lol.
Old 07-22-2015, 12:26 AM
EcoBrick Bob
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 76 Likes on 63 Posts

If you get the lexan see-through roof you will take the top off much less.
I bought a no-name storage bag for around $60. Works great to protect top if stored at home.

My son has a 15 Vert. Not much trunk when top is down. When top is up, I would say he has 1/2 the usable trunk space as my 15 A8 Z51 Coupe. Glad I got the coupe and also glad he got the M7 Vert, as I can play with both!!!!

Get notified of new replies

To How much storage in trunk with targa top stowed?

Quick Reply: How much storage in trunk with targa top stowed?