Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

A Thumbs Up instead of a Corvette Wave?

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2015, 01:08 PM
Dave@Ciocca
Platinum Supporting Dealership

Received 1,656 Likes on 393 Posts

Default A Thumbs Up instead of a Corvette Wave?

I was driving the Stingray coupe to lunch on a beautiful 100 degree day at the Jersey Shore today when I saw coming at me in the other direction was a beautiful Crystal Red C7 Vert. The car was driven by a man who appeared to have a beautiful blonde in the car next to him.

With all of the enthusiasm and exuberance I could muster I gave him the traditional Corvette wave. He hesitated a few seconds and then gave me a very lame thumbs up.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not complaining, I'm simply asking the question is it proper etiquette to return a Corvette Wave with a thumbs up?

Dave
America's Corvette Dealership

email - dsalvatore@cioccadealerships.com
Showroom - 609-344-2100. Ext 1022
Text - 856-535-0407

Follow Ciocca Corvette on Instagram!

Old 07-30-2015, 01:28 PM
Frodo
Melting Slicks

Received 586 Likes on 266 Posts

Originally Posted by Dave@Kerbeck.com
I'm simply asking the question is it proper etiquette to return a Corvette Wave with a thumbs up? Dave
Its better than the finger I suppose. I guess he didn't know about the wave.
Old 07-30-2015, 01:28 PM
Malum1
Racer

Received 84 Likes on 47 Posts

Unfortunately I am of the belief that some of our "Covertte Brethren" have no idea or concept about the wave. Read some of the posts here on the forum and a whole slew of them buy the magnificent beast and don not even read the manuals. I wave to all the Vettes I encounter and half the time I get absolutely no acknowledgement (that includes the C6 & C7's). Wish I was wrong. Just saying, save the wave!!
Old 07-30-2015, 01:49 PM
jluke
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Hi Dave. I wave to every Corvette I see. It really doesn't matter what generation. I, however, have noticed some drivers of older generations don't seem to have the same waving spirit. Maybe they don't recognize a new C7 or they just don't care.
To answer your question, a wave is a wave. A thumbs up really doesn't cut it with me but I guess I'm old fashion.
Save the wave, always.
Old 07-30-2015, 01:52 PM
HAD2HAV2
Melting Slicks

Received 292 Likes on 235 Posts

I’ve been wavin’ since 1979. Now days with windows being so heavily tinted I’m not sure if my wave can be seen through 2 sets of tinted windows, mine and theirs. I gave a thumbs up a couple of days ago to another C7 SG passing me that looked almost like mine. Car had a Florida tag and dark glass.
Old 07-30-2015, 02:03 PM
bill-sj
Instructor

Received 78 Likes on 53 Posts

i think that any kind of wave, thumbs up, peace sign are fine. i think it is cool to wave to different gen's of vettes.

to me, a vette is a vette, regardless of the year made. same bloodline.
Old 07-30-2015, 02:11 PM
Streetrod782
Burning Brakes

Received 187 Likes on 122 Posts

I drive a wrangler as a daily driver and I'll tell you what the wave gets old after a while. Anyone with a jeep knows what I'm talking about. I don't see that many vettes by me so I'll wave to them all.
Old 07-30-2015, 02:14 PM
Curahee
Pro

Received 123 Likes on 76 Posts

Originally Posted by bill-sj
i think that any kind of wave, thumbs up, peace sign are fine. i think it is cool to wave to different gen's of vettes.

GM should include this in the owners' manual: "It is customary for anyone driving a Corvette to wave at others driving Corvettes regardless of the model year."
Old 07-30-2015, 02:20 PM
Dave@Ciocca

Originally Posted by Streetrod782
I drive a wrangler as a daily driver and I'll tell you what the wave gets old after a while. Anyone with a jeep knows what I'm talking about. I don't see that many vettes by me so I'll wave to them all.
Same. I have a Wrangler and I can't tell you the last time I didn't get a wave back from a Wranger owner. One day when I was driving a different car I gave the wave to a Wrangler and the guy looked at me like I was nuts!

Dave
Old 07-30-2015, 02:23 PM
Streetrod782
Burning Brakes

Received 187 Likes on 122 Posts

Haha I've done that a ton of times! And on a side not I'll be sending you a pm soon if my dealer can't get my car through. It's been 7 weeks and I'm still at 1100
Old 07-30-2015, 02:41 PM
RFBHD
Burning Brakes

Received 308 Likes on 176 Posts

I think a big smile works better... I do it on my Harley and in Corvette
Old 07-30-2015, 02:44 PM
Wetrudgeon
Pro

Received 203 Likes on 128 Posts

Can someone please describe or illustrate an "appropriate" Corvette waive? Been waiving at other Corvettes since we got the red car and may have been doing something against convention all along(!)
Thanks in advance.

We trudge on (embarrassed).
Old 07-30-2015, 02:52 PM
Dave@Ciocca

Originally Posted by Wetrudgeon
Can someone please describe or illustrate an "appropriate" Corvette waive? Been waiving at other Corvettes since we got the red car and may have been doing something against convention all along(!)
Thanks in advance.

We trudge on (embarrassed).
Old 07-30-2015, 03:56 PM
Rooster OG
Le Mans Master

Received 1,694 Likes on 1,240 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15

I've never heard of the Wrangler wave. They're so common, I'd probably get tired of that too. Maybe a stuffed glove on a stick would suffice for a Wrangler wave.
Old 07-30-2015, 04:27 PM
csixweapon
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was driving the Stingray coupe to lunch on a beautiful 100 degree day at the Jersey Shore today when I saw coming at me in the other direction was a beautiful Crystal Red C7 Vert. The car was driven by a man who appeared to have a beautiful blonde in the car next to him.

With all of the enthusiasm and exuberance I could muster I gave him the traditional Corvette wave. He hesitated a few seconds and then gave me a very lame thumbs up.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not complaining, I'm simply asking the question is it proper etiquette to return a Corvette Wave with a thumbs up?

Dave
I always flash the peace sign, not the normal convention just my acknowledgement.
Old 07-30-2015, 04:35 PM
Bischof
Racer

Received 59 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by bill-sj

I'm in agreement with this, any type of recognition of a fellow Corvette driver is acceptable.

In addition to waving at fellow Vettes I always greet all Mopar drivers with the universal jerking off gesture
Old 07-30-2015, 04:41 PM
tomlink
Pro

Received 221 Likes on 124 Posts

I always do the two-finger wave/salute from my 10-o'clock hand on the wheel. It's rare that a Vette driver doesn't respond with a wave.

Get notified of new replies

To A Thumbs Up instead of a Corvette Wave?

Old 07-30-2015, 05:27 PM
scottsh
Pro

Received 36 Likes on 27 Posts

I usually give the "all finger" wave while keeping my left hand on the wheel.

I don't do the "one (index) finger wave" as that's reserved for passing the lone car in west Texas.
Old 07-30-2015, 05:34 PM
Frodo
Melting Slicks

Received 586 Likes on 266 Posts

I always wave at any Vette I see, new or old. However, sometimes I'm a bit distracted such as looking for a turn or business location and I fail to see the Vette in time. Sorry. I've also had trouble recognizing a black Vette with black or no badges, black wheels, dark windows, etc. It just looks like a black blob from a distance. No disrespect intended for those who like the all black cars, but for me I've never understood the "road warrior" look. I prefer some color and chrome. Old school I suppose, I'm an old man if you couldn't guess.
Old 07-30-2015, 05:38 PM
stingraymyway
Race Director

Location: Out of Site...Out of Mind. Corvette: anything else is just transportation.
Received 134 Likes on 103 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20

Dave
Tamater: 'Mater, without the Ta.
Either way, it's all good.

Quick Reply: A Thumbs Up instead of a Corvette Wave?