Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Researcher says he can hack GM's OnStar app, open vehicle, start engine

Old 07-30-2015, 02:38 PM
Greg00Coupe
Race Director

Received 1,974 Likes on 1,140 Posts

Default Researcher says he can hack GM's OnStar app, open vehicle, start engine

I really do not have any use for onstar. Frankly never use it. Did not even want to turn it on last week but the dealer says if I don't it costs him $100.

Now this:

http://www.wired.com/2015/07/gadget-...-unlock-start/

I'm not worried about this because as soon as the 6 month trial is up I'm done but if it where not for the $100 I would have never turned it on.
Old 07-30-2015, 03:05 PM
busterkeller
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Researcher says can hack GM's OnStar app, open vehicle, start engine

Researcher says can hack GM's OnStar app, open vehicle, start engine
BY Reuters
— 2:16 PM ET 07/30/2015

By Jim Finkle and Bernie Woodall

BOSTON/DETROIT, July 30 (Reuters) - A researcher is advising drivers to halt the use of a mobile app for General Motors Co's ( GM
Loading... Loading...
) OnStar vehicle communications system, saying hackers can exploit a security flaw in the product to remotely unlock cars and start engines.

"White-hat" hacker Samy Kamkar posted a video on Thursday saying he had figured out a way to "locate, unlock and remote-start" vehicles by intercepting communications between the OnStar RemoteLink mobile app and the OnStar service.

Kamkar said he plans to provide technical details on the hack next week in Las Vegas at the Def Con conference, where tens of thousands of hacking aficionados will gather to learn about new cybersecurity vulnerabilities.

Kamkar released the video a week after Fiat Chrysler Automobiles recalled some 1.4 million vehicles after hacking experts demonstrated a more serious vulnerability in the Jeep Cherokee. That bug allowed them to gain remote control of a Jeep traveling at 70 miles per hour on a public highway.

GM said its engineers had reviewed Kamkar's research. "A fix has already been implemented," the company said in a statement.

Kamkar said he discussed the fix with representatives from GM, but their efforts failed to thwart the attack method he uncovered, which uses a device he built and dubbed 'OwnStar.'"

"They have not yet fixed the bug that 'OwnStar' is exploiting," he told Reuters.

Representatives with GM did not immediately respond to requests for comment on the status of the bug or fix.

The 'OwnStar' issue drew the attention of U.S. safety regulators from the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration.

Representatives from the agency discussed the issue with GM, said the flaw could involve doors and engine start-stop, but does not involve other critical safety systems, according to a person familiar with those discussions.

More than 3 million people have downloaded the OnStar RemoteLink mobile app for Apple ( AAPL
Loading... Loading...
) iOS and Google Inc devices, according to OnStar's website. (Reporting by Bernie Woodall in Detroit and Jim Finkle in Boston; Editing by Jonathan Oatis and Jeffrey Benkoe)
Old 07-30-2015, 04:21 PM
Rebel Yell
Le Mans Master

Received 2,639 Likes on 1,702 Posts

Delete the app from your phone. Fixed it.......
Old 07-30-2015, 06:09 PM
laborsmith
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Delete from phone? I truthfully do not understand.

I have been told by salespersons that dealers get $100 whenever OnStar is activated on their watch. For the record, I am the foremost proponent of OnStar that ever existed if you do not count the entirety of the human race.

In the past I have practiced being a bully to keep OnStar not activated, but I am not sure that is the right choice, on the other hand I do not know what else could be done other than allowing OnStar to be activated and later not renewing.

As a side note, OnStar is General Motors biggest profit center. Not that that has anything to do with this discussion.

Laborsmith
Old 07-30-2015, 06:22 PM
rcooper
Safety Car

Received 676 Likes on 480 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15

Originally Posted by Rebel Yell
Delete the app from your phone. Fixed it.......
If you are not using the app then the hackers have no way in. Although I don't really have to worry as my car is a M7, damn tough to start without the clutch engaged.
Old 07-30-2015, 07:18 PM
craigcurry
Racer

Received 33 Likes on 18 Posts

Kamkar's article in Wired does not add up. When you use your OnStar mobile app, lets say to start your car, I beleive that your OnStar app calls an OnStar backoffice and the backoffice calls your vehicle and issues a command to start. Kamkar has stated that his black box named, OwnStar, is just a Wifi hot spot. How does Wifi radio mix it up with cellular phone radio? Maybe he is just trying to throw us off. I would think that a black box would have a cellular radio with software that could perform a replay attack and get the necessary information that would allow the back box to act like the OnStar backoffice.

Another attack could be made by OwnStar by intercepting the backoffice call, get the vehicle information and use the hotspot to load your OnStar vehicle information onto the attackers mobile phone. Now the attacker's mobile app has the same vehicle information as the owner. Now the attacker can use his OnStar app to start your vehicle.

Regardless, the OwnStar black box must have a cellular radio not just a Wifi hotspot.

I believe that Kamkar is a smart guy, but I also believe that his attacks require some inside information which must hackers do not have. Inside information that is specific to the vehicle under attack.

I also believe that the Wired article picture of the OwnStar box shows 2 antennas. Maybe a cellular and Wifi radio antenna.
Old 07-30-2015, 07:58 PM
grandpawmoses
Race Director

Received 95 Likes on 41 Posts

I'd guess his "box" works like this:
He has to be close to you.
You use the OnStar app and lock/unlock/or any OnStar app function.
His box receives your call too and "clones" his phone app to your OnStar account.
Old 07-30-2015, 08:48 PM
nmvettec7
Safety Car

Received 850 Likes on 493 Posts

I see no reason to make this OnStar situation an "issue".

I have had Onstar in a several GM vehicles over many years back from a Malibu, Cadillac CTS, Camaro and now my C7.

I did not renew the OnStar after the 6 month trial on my 2015 C7.

OnStar still has access to any vehicle equipped with OnStar.

I don't sweat the small stuff in life like OnStar, worrying if they are eaves dropping on me or my conversations. I could care less, as I don't do anything illegal anyway.

If someone wants to hack into my C7 and steal it out of the 3 miilion cars equipped with OnStar, they can have it. That's what I pay insurance for.

The responses here are over blowen, there are too many people psyched out over this. Everytime you log into a computer, or mobile device you have a situation where you may be vulnerable to cyber attack.

It happens daily with corporations, government agencies and these entities have some of the best cyber security systems in place.

While OnStar might be a controversial topic, I wouldn't lose any sleep over this situation.

In today's world of high tech devices, we as humans have very little privacy anymore.

Live life to the fullest, 'Life is Good", don't worry about OnStar.
Old 07-30-2015, 10:18 PM
Vetteman Jack
Administrator

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: In a parallel universe. Currently own 2014 Stingray Coupe.
Received 19,208 Likes on 13,924 Posts
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
MO Events Coordinator
St. Jude Co-Organizer
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-
'20-'21-'22-'23-'24
NCM Sinkhole Donor
CI 5, 8 & 11 Veteran

I'm not going to go all over this.
Old 07-31-2015, 07:09 AM
HoustonMidtown
Racer

Received 58 Likes on 46 Posts

Update: http://www.detroitnews.com/story/bus...ssue/30877307/
Old 07-31-2015, 07:28 AM
RandyC7
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

While I know a lot of people bash OnStar, I think it's a great system for safety and piece of mind and I have it in all my vehicles including my C7. My wife was in a serious car accident when another vehicle blew though a red light and t-boned her car. OnStar automatically got her help and called me, and I was able to be at the hospital before she arrived. As a volunteer fireman in a very busy dept that covers major highways in our area and are the ones who cut apart cars and perform extrications, time is critical in major traumas so getting help ASAP is very important and OnStar helps in that regard.
Old 07-31-2015, 02:15 PM
Rebel Yell
Le Mans Master

Received 2,639 Likes on 1,702 Posts

Originally Posted by RandyC7
While I know a lot of people bash OnStar, I think it's a great system for safety and piece of mind and I have it in all my vehicles including my C7. My wife was in a serious car accident when another vehicle blew though a red light and t-boned her car. OnStar automatically got her help and called me, and I was able to be at the hospital before she arrived. As a volunteer fireman in a very busy dept that covers major highways in our area and are the ones who cut apart cars and perform extrications, time is critical in major traumas so getting help ASAP is very important and OnStar helps in that regard.
Randy. While my car doesn't go far from home normally, I always have OnStar activated for my long road trips. Preparing for a short Route 66 run in Sept. (North Carolina to St. Louis to Tucumcari, NM then back home), and will have it activated for just a month then. Peace of mind makes these trips more enjoyable when you know if help is needed with anything it's just a button push away.
Old 07-31-2015, 02:40 PM
Pisswilly
Melting Slicks

Received 833 Likes on 369 Posts

I want to see someone remote start my M7!
Old 07-31-2015, 06:34 PM
jimmyb
Race Director

Received 4,248 Likes on 2,023 Posts

I don't want to over blow this but it is things like this that make me question autonomous cars. I mean, they can't keep our credit cards safe (or our Jeeps, it seems). Some jerkoff decides he's mad at the world (with computer skills) sits on an overpass and has his way with the car's computers.....

Jimmy
Old 08-04-2015, 03:31 PM
JonathonK
CorvetteForum Editor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default OnStar Meet OwnStar: The Hacking Device That Could Steal Your Corvette

OnStar Meet OwnStar: The Hacking Device That Could Steal Your Corvette

According to the following video, FCA products aren’t the only ones at risk of being hacked.

Read the rest on the CorvetteForum.com homepage. >>
Old 08-04-2015, 03:40 PM
bdanyluk
Drifting

Received 39 Likes on 31 Posts

That's why you unplug the antennae and transmitter from the onstar computer. Can't steal a car with no signal.

AND install Ravelco...can't steal a car without ignition and fuel pump working.
Old 08-04-2015, 07:46 PM
Kevin1106
Instructor

Received 34 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by nmvettec7

I have had Onstar in a several GM vehicles over many years back from a Malibu, Cadillac CTS, Camaro and now my C7.

I don't sweat the small stuff in life like OnStar, worrying if they are eaves dropping on me or my conversations. I could care less, as I don't do anything illegal anyway.

If someone wants to hack into my C7 and steal it out of the 3 miilion cars equipped with OnStar, they can have it. That's what I pay insurance for.

The responses here are over blowen, there are too many people psyched out over this. Everytime you log into a computer, or mobile device you have a situation where you may be vulnerable to cyber attack.

It happens daily with corporations, government agencies and these entities have some of the best cyber security systems in place.

While OnStar might be a controversial topic, I wouldn't lose any sleep over this situation.

In today's world of high tech devices, we as humans have very little privacy anymore.

Couldn't of said it any better..

Get notified of new replies

To Researcher says he can hack GM's OnStar app, open vehicle, start engine

Old 08-04-2015, 11:43 PM
BUCKNERBUCK2
Racer

Received 74 Likes on 43 Posts

I don't have the app installed for my m7 corvette but I do on my Equinox. Love it. In Michigan winters it's great to start the car and also lock it when in an airport terminal
If someone wanted to start my filthy leased Equinox while I'm on a business trip..... Have fun. I don't care. In 10 minutes it shuts off
Hacks of the system won't continue, gm will fix it and there is no $ incentive here for hackers to continue trying
Old 08-05-2015, 12:02 AM
Zymurgy

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 15,066 Likes on 6,168 Posts

<p>I already received an email from OnStar notifying me that I must update the app. I believe they already fixed the problem.</p>
Old 08-05-2015, 08:53 AM
jschindler
Team Owner

Received 341 Likes on 166 Posts

Originally Posted by nmvettec7

I don't see anyone acting as though they are losing sleep over the issue, just discussing it, and fairly calmly at that.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Researcher says he can hack GM's OnStar app, open vehicle, start engine