Sponsored by:

900 Miles = Low 2.5 Qts and Check Engine

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2015, 07:26 AM
Bradysdad
Racer

Received 82 Likes on 50 Posts

Default 900 Miles = Low 2.5 Qts and Check Engine

Picked up my SG Z51 at the mueseum on Wednesday. Had the 500 mile oil change on Thursday. Saturday the Check Engine light comes on while driving to breakfast. I check the oil and am just under 3 quarts low. (Yes, i did the proper procedure with warming up and waiting 5-10 minutes).

Called the dealer and they show 10 quarts used for the change. Service manager is going to call me on Momday. Put approximately 400 miles on since the oil change and the light coming on. No leaks on the garage floor.

I topped off the oil, and drove normally all day yesterday. Checked oil several times and is staying at the same level as when I topped off.

Any thoughts or suggestions? Is the Check Engine light related to the low oil condition? Normally CE light is for sensors or emmission related items. The DIC never showed a Low Oil condition.

Thanks in advance!
Old 08-02-2015, 08:27 AM
NSC5
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,100 Likes on 742 Posts

See if OnStar can retrieve the CEL code, it may be unrelated to the oil level.

The only reasonable explanation for the low oil level is not enough was added. Losing 3 quarts in 400 miles would have involved a very noticeable and messy leak that wouldn't have self cured.

I know I care more about my vehicles than the dealership low level folks so I do my own oil changes so stuff like this won't happen. This was reinforced for me in 2008 when I was driving my Cadillac CTS home after just taking delivery and noticed a very annoying rattle from the engine compartment when stopped at a light. I pulled into a parking lot and found the dipstick was only about halfway inserted; fortunately the oil level was OK but not reinstalling the dipstick properly was pretty careless behavior. If you use the dealership for oil changes, especially for dry sump engines, check the level as soon as you get home. This is particularly important for new vehicles so you will at least know the starting level and won't have to wonder whether you new engine is consuming a lot of oil.

When engines burn significant oil it is pretty obvious, just get in line behind a early 2000s Mitsubishi or one of the Chrysler vans using their 6 cylinder engine and you would think you were behind a college student driving a 70s "beater" car from the rancid smell and fumes
Old 08-02-2015, 09:36 AM
stingraymyway
Race Director

Location: Out of Site...Out of Mind. Corvette: anything else is just transportation.
Received 134 Likes on 103 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20

Just because the dealership's computer says the correct amount of oil was used, doesn't mean the tech didn't get distracted and forgot. Weird things happen. It's always good to double check the oil level after a change.
Hope all is well with your car.
Old 08-02-2015, 09:45 AM
Larry/car
Race Director

Received 621 Likes on 423 Posts

Dealer forgot to add any oil to my dad's Buick one time. There was enough residual oil to keep the oil warning light extinguished. He drove the car about sixty miles and discovered lack of oil by accident. I now always check my oil quantity after dealer performs an oil change, it happens.
Old 08-02-2015, 09:54 AM
Glen e
Race Director

Received 933 Likes on 488 Posts
Tech Contributor

I can't tell you how many times I've seen a tech write one thing on the RO and do something else. If you caught it right away and were not tracking the car, I think you'll be ok. On an oil change, always check it after the work is done.
Old 08-02-2015, 10:00 AM
xp800
Drifting

Received 235 Likes on 151 Posts

The dry sump Z51 LT1 requires 9.8qts, and the wet sump requires 7.0qts.

If I were to guess, the dealership serviced it as a wet sump given the amount you're down is nearly the -exact- difference between specs. The dealership is covering their butt by telling you 10qts (which is too much for a dry sump) while the oil tech probably put in 7.

All that said, if 10qts went in and 2.5 is missing now, that's a problem. I would go with the other advice to call Onstar for the code to see if it's related.
Old 08-02-2015, 10:45 AM
W88fixer
Melting Slicks

Received 72 Likes on 43 Posts

I hope all is well but you should have checked the oil at the earliest opportunity after the change.

Would seem that you may be OK, hope so. Don

Last edited by W88fixer; 08-02-2015 at 10:48 AM.
Old 08-02-2015, 11:33 AM
Frodo
Melting Slicks

Received 586 Likes on 266 Posts

I agree with the other posts. If you had a problem with the engine burning or dripping oil you'd know it. Either an oil slick at home or a blue/grey fog following your every move. I'd bet the flunky changing the oil put in what is required for wet sump engines. Dealers may have Corvette certified mechanics but I'll bet a set of summer only tires those mechanics don't do oil changes.
Old 08-02-2015, 12:19 PM
Bradysdad
Racer

Thanks for the input All. The 7Qt vs 9.8 makes so much sense. Never even considered that. Just glad I caught it right after the service work.

I didn't know OnStar can provide the codes. Will buzz them and see if it is related.

Thanks all!!
Old 08-02-2015, 01:02 PM
Black&White
Drifting

Received 140 Likes on 96 Posts

Welcome to incompetent Chevrolet Dealer Service.
Old 08-02-2015, 01:19 PM
W88fixer
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Black&White
Welcome to incompetent Chevrolet Dealer Service.
No, it’s simple business economics. Can’t use certified, highly trained service technicians to do simple jobs, customers won’t pay the price, so, at the worst, a shop gofer does the oil change and is either too lazy to check or doesn’t know better. Don
Old 08-02-2015, 01:20 PM
W88fixer
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Frodo
Dealers may have Corvette certified mechanics but I'll bet a set of summer only tires those mechanics don't do oil changes.
Bingo, absolutely correct. Don
Old 08-02-2015, 01:47 PM
motomanvette
Melting Slicks

Received 89 Likes on 65 Posts

Originally Posted by xp800
The dry sump Z51 LT1 requires 9.8qts, and the wet sump requires 7.0qts.

If I were to guess, the dealership serviced it as a wet sump given the amount you're down is nearly the -exact- difference between specs. The dealership is covering their butt by telling you 10qts (which is too much for a dry sump) while the oil tech probably put in 7.

All that said, if 10qts went in and 2.5 is missing now, that's a problem. I would go with the other advice to call Onstar for the code to see if it's related.
Probably better having 7 quarts in there for a small amount of time then having 10 quarts in there THEN losing 2.5 quarts..which would indicate a major problem I would assume. Good luck.
Old 08-03-2015, 08:56 AM
Busa Dave
Burning Brakes

Received 127 Likes on 107 Posts

Originally Posted by motomanvette
Probably better having 7 quarts in there for a small amount of time then having 10 quarts in there THEN losing 2.5 quarts..which would indicate a major problem I would assume. Good luck.

Ahhhhhh Just one more example of why I do not use the Chevy Stores.. Bring my own oil and filter and watch it being done even go under in the pit to look over the underside of my vehicles to make sure everything is ok.
Old 08-03-2015, 09:02 AM
Bradysdad
Racer

Dealer called me this morning at 7:30. They spoke with the tech and discovered that he filled it as if it were a non Z51 car. Hence the 3 quart low level. Dealer will be reimbursing me for the additional oil and was very apologetic that it happened.

I'm just glad I caught it and lesson learned about future oil changes. Not upset with the dealership as mistakes happen and they have treated me well in the past. Everyone has a bad day here and there.

Thanks to all that offered opinions. Much appreciated and definitely glad the engine wasn't burning it up and spitting it out.
Old 08-03-2015, 09:13 AM
runner61627
Burning Brakes

Received 379 Likes on 256 Posts

Originally Posted by Bradysdad
Dealer called me this morning at 7:30. They spoke with the tech and discovered that he filled it as if it were a non Z51 car. Hence the 3 quart low level. Dealer will be reimbursing me for the additional oil and was very apologetic that it happened.

I'm just glad I caught it and lesson learned about future oil changes. Not upset with the dealership as mistakes happen and they have treated me well in the past. Everyone has a bad day here and there.

Thanks to all that offered opinions. Much appreciated and definitely glad the engine wasn't burning it up and spitting it out.
Best possible outcome!!!
Old 08-03-2015, 09:27 AM
eboggs_jkvl
Moderator/Tech Contributor

Location: Jacksonville Florida BWO Dayton, Cincinnati, Bloomsbury NJ, Cincinnati
Received 3,821 Likes on 2,065 Posts
2015 C7 of the Year Finalist

I don't care if the tech thought you had a 1.5L engine. The question I have is: "Did the schmuck check the oil level after his fill up"? If he checked, there was NOTHING showing on the dip stick!!!

Elmer

Get notified of new replies

To 900 Miles = Low 2.5 Qts and Check Engine

Old 08-03-2015, 11:34 AM
6spdC6
Team Owner

Location: Northern NYs Adirondack Mountains,http://www.visitsacandaga.com.
Received 146 Likes on 109 Posts

WOW that mechanic/dealership owed up to it! That does not happen often! I would keep that in mind when If I go back, things happen but they were good about it.

My personal feelings they should give you a free oil change or something more than just your missing oil.
Old 08-03-2015, 12:06 PM
xp800
Drifting

Received 235 Likes on 151 Posts

Glad it was the "obvious" rather than an oil-eating LT1. Did they own up to it straight up or had you suggested this scenario beforehand?

So in all of this, did you confirm as well that they used Mobil 1 5w-30 per the GM included maintenance? If they got the capacity wrong, as well as sending you off with a dry dipstick (had to write that ), I would be shocked if they are up to speed with using Mobil 1 as the requirement for all Corvettes (not just dry sump) in your 24-month included oil changes.

If they treated it as a wet sump, many dealers (if they even acknowledge Mobil 1 as the requirement) will only put Mobil 1 5w-30 in the dry sumps and put standard GM dexos rated 5w-30 in the wet.
Old 08-03-2015, 01:50 PM
iclick
Melting Slicks

Received 618 Likes on 420 Posts

Originally Posted by W88fixer
I hope all is well but you should have checked the oil at the earliest opportunity after the change.
Yes, like before driving out of the parking lot.

Quick Reply: 900 Miles = Low 2.5 Qts and Check Engine