Sponsored by:

Maybe Next-Gen Corvette Should Be a Separate Nameplate

Old 08-03-2015, 02:22 PM
Detroit Steel
CorvetteForum Editor

Received 58 Likes on 42 Posts
Default Maybe Next-Gen Corvette Should Be a Separate Nameplate

Maybe Next-Gen Corvette Should Be a Separate Nameplate

Making Corvette a sub-brand of Chevrolet could actually be a really good thing.

Read the rest on the CorvetteForum.com homepage. >>
Old 08-03-2015, 02:34 PM
1985 Corvette
Le Mans Master

Received 387 Likes on 236 Posts

I disagree. A staple of corvette has been remaining within reach of the blue collar populace. Separate nameplate, higher prices and it's American. We're socially conditioned to understand German and Italian exotics are the top, even if they have lost to American cars. American performance cars are a niche unto themselves, mostly because of their brash chacteristics developed over half a century. Either it appeals or it doesn't. A separate nameplate and all the alcantara wrappings in the world won't change that it's American and perceived to be overall inferior. It's just the part American made vehicles play in the enthusiast world.
Old 08-03-2015, 02:44 PM
rcooper
Safety Car

Received 676 Likes on 480 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15

I like that my Chevy can beat many cars that are high end Euro brands. You can see their faces wince when they have been beat by a Chevy.
Just think how those drivers feel when a 55k car beats their 100+k car.
Not to mention F cars, P cars and more recently V cars getting beaten at places like Le Mans, Daytona and others....for like the last 15 years...
Go Chevy!
Old 08-03-2015, 02:55 PM
1985 Corvette
Le Mans Master

Received 387 Likes on 236 Posts

Originally Posted by rcooper
I like that my Chevy can beat many cars that are high end Euro brands. You can see their faces wince when they have been beat by a Chevy.
Just think how those drivers feel when a 55k car beats their 100+k car.
Not to mention F cars, P cars and more recently V cars getting beaten at places like Le Mans, Daytona and others....for like the last 15 years...
Go Chevy!
I agree. Embrace the Chevy history and culture of car not run from it. Even a separate nameplate would still be supplemented by GM, an American company. People that want exotic don't want American. They're lured by the Ferrari mystique or the gawk factor of a Lamborghini or the technical triumphs of a Porsche. I enjoy the styling direction corvette has pursued as well as the fact that a healthy American v8 emits that lovely belligerent sound. It's part of what the car is and it will never get away from that.

I'm not saying we shouldn't go rear mid. I think after the c2 and c4, it's time for another revolutionary model in the c8. It opens up new ways to style and design for corvette. I just think it should still be a Chevrolet Corvette. I'm probably in the minority that is proud it's made by Chevrolet.
Old 08-03-2015, 04:28 PM
pokerpro
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 387 Likes on 219 Posts
2023 C6 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2022 C6 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2021 C6 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2020 C6 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2015 C6 of Year Finalist

How did it work out for Dodge when they let the Viper breakaway and go to the SRT nameplate. This should answer your question!
Old 08-03-2015, 04:42 PM
djpatrick35
Drifting

Received 32 Likes on 25 Posts

I will agree that the Corvette needs to become its own nameplate for one reason alone: the dealer network. With the exception of some dealers that know how to serve luxury-level customers (and are most likely the most successful Corvette dealerships because of it), the standard Chevy dealership experience is not conducive to stealing people away from Porsche, Jaguar, Aston, Ferrari, etc.

Walking into a Porsche dealership and walking into a Chevrolet dealership and you have two completely different experiences. Heck, it's the same thing with any sports car or luxury marque that I mentioned. The people are just trained up to a higher level.

Now, absolutely there are exceptions - and they are undoubtedly the dealers that move 20+ Vettes a month. I had an excellent experience at Stasek Chevrolet and I'm sure you get the same kind of thing at Kerbeck, etc.

BUT, if you don't believe me, walk into an average BMW/Merc/Jag/Land Rover/Porsche dealership. Then walk into an average Ford/Chevy/Toyota dealership. You'll see a difference in how you're greeted, the quality of the showroom, the amenities, everything.

Covettes go for big boy money. They should treat their customers like the big boys, too. If we give Corvette its own dealer network, it creates that exclusivity, it requires that same level of customer service, so it's one and the same with Porsche, so those customers who are used to it there can walk into a 'Corvette' dealer and feel at home, love the car, be amazed at the inexpensive price, and get more Vettes on the road.
Old 08-03-2015, 04:51 PM
HogwildC7
Melting Slicks

Received 132 Likes on 97 Posts

I think it needs to be turnover to Cadillac. They are the high end of GM.
Old 08-03-2015, 05:09 PM
Dave@Ciocca
Platinum Supporting Dealership

Received 1,656 Likes on 393 Posts

You can actually do both. I had this discussion with some GM execs back in 2012.

I said that you could make Chevy dealer have to buy in to Corvette but more than just buying some tools and sending sales people and techs to school.

Let's start by making the dealer pay buy in of maybe $50-100k. After that, have the dealer be required to make some upgrades to showrooms, service bays and waiting areas. Also, dealers must have a minimum Customer Satisfaction Index Score across the board (not just on Vettes) to both qualify for and then keep their Corvette "brand".

This can all still be done at a Chevy store, but it will be for Chevy stores willing to go the extra distance. Obviously, they didn't like my ideas...

Dave
America's Corvette Dealership

email - dsalvatore@cioccadealerships.com
Showroom - 609-344-2100. Ext 1022
Text - 856-535-0407

Follow Ciocca Corvette on Instagram!

Last edited by Dave@Ciocca; 08-03-2015 at 05:13 PM.
Old 08-03-2015, 05:19 PM
BigJoe
Race Director

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 64 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by HogwildC7
I think it needs to be turnover to Cadillac. They are the high end of GM.
Makes sense but "Caddy Corvette" just doesn't roll off the tongue like "Chevy Corvette" does...
Old 08-03-2015, 06:04 PM
Mr Guns
Drifting

Received 21 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by djpatrick35
I will agree that the Corvette needs to become its own nameplate for one reason alone: the dealer network. With the exception of some dealers that know how to serve luxury-level customers (and are most likely the most successful Corvette dealerships because of it), the standard Chevy dealership experience is not conducive to stealing people away from Porsche, Jaguar, Aston, Ferrari, etc.

Walking into a Porsche dealership and walking into a Chevrolet dealership and you have two completely different experiences. Heck, it's the same thing with any sports car or luxury marque that I mentioned. The people are just trained up to a higher level.

Now, absolutely there are exceptions - and they are undoubtedly the dealers that move 20+ Vettes a month. I had an excellent experience at Stasek Chevrolet and I'm sure you get the same kind of thing at Kerbeck, etc.

BUT, if you don't believe me, walk into an average BMW/Merc/Jag/Land Rover/Porsche dealership. Then walk into an average Ford/Chevy/Toyota dealership. You'll see a difference in how you're greeted, the quality of the showroom, the amenities, everything.

Covettes go for big boy money. They should treat their customers like the big boys, too. If we give Corvette its own dealer network, it creates that exclusivity, it requires that same level of customer service, so it's one and the same with Porsche, so those customers who are used to it there can walk into a 'Corvette' dealer and feel at home, love the car, be amazed at the inexpensive price, and get more Vettes on the road.
While I agree, I also like not having to bend over every time I take the car in for service (which is why I do as much service as possible in my home garage). I fear that no longer having the Corvette under the Chevy nameplate would come along with a significant increase in the Corvette Tax. To me, that's the appeal of the Corvette. It looks great and performs great, but at the end of the day, it's still a Chevy, which means an average guy like me can afford to own and maintain one. If I had to pay Porsche prices for parts and service for my Vette, I'd probably own something else.
Old 08-03-2015, 06:09 PM
mcginna
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Maybe Next-Gen Corvette Should Be a Separate Nameplate

A separate line of dealerships didn't work so well for Hummer...
Old 08-03-2015, 06:11 PM
Glen e
Race Director

Received 905 Likes on 472 Posts
Tech Contributor

Originally Posted by Dave@Kerbeck.com
You can actually do both. I had this discussion with some GM execs back in 2012.

I said that you could make Chevy dealer have to buy in to Corvette but more than just buying some tools and sending sales people and techs to school.

Let's start by making the dealer pay buy in of maybe $50-100k. After that, have the dealer be required to make some upgrades to showrooms, service bays and waiting areas. Also, dealers must have a minimum Customer Satisfaction Index Score across the board (not just on Vettes) to both qualify for and then keep their Corvette "brand".

This can all still be done at a Chevy store, but it will be for Chevy stores willing to go the extra distance. Obviously, they didn't like my ideas...

Dave
Dave I think there are a few that would do this but not many.,the sales velocity is too volatile for this type of imporovement. Bmw tried this with the m products and failed miseably. All it takes is a market correction like 2009 and c7 will drop measurably. The car is still sold to a lot of retired people celebrating their strong 401k's, lop off 20% off like 2008 and things will stop for volume. GM knows that. You certainly remember 2009-2010. Besides that, the last half of the product cycle sales drop quickly along with GP.

The vette will stay right where it is in the GM product lineup.

Just my industry opin.
Old 08-03-2015, 06:39 PM
kmil579
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by pokerpro
How did it work out for Dodge when they let the Viper breakaway and go to the SRT nameplate. This should answer your question!
I think it is going quite well for Ram, Don't you? I guess it all depends on whether or not the Corvette nameplate will be able to churn out multiple hit vehicles (or more importantly is this the direction the GM brass want to go). Having a separate dealership for one car with 2 or 3 variations would make about as much sense as Ram with only the 1500, 2500, and 3500. Now if you make it Ram with the Dakota, sprinter(promaster), and commercial line of vehicles, you have a decent lineup.
Old 08-03-2015, 06:48 PM
dbdave
Le Mans Master

Received 191 Likes on 138 Posts

Originally Posted by kmil579
I think it is going quite well for Ram, Don't you? I guess it all depends on whether or not the Corvette nameplate will be able to churn out multiple hit vehicles (or more importantly is this the direction the GM brass want to go). Having a separate dealership for one car with 2 or 3 variations would make about as much sense as Ram with only the 1500, 2500, and 3500. Now if you make it Ram with the Dakota, sprinter(promaster), and commercial line of vehicles, you have a decent lineup.
He was talking about the Viper fiasco that failed. Quite different than their Ram split.
Old 08-03-2015, 08:14 PM
sTz
Le Mans Master

Received 2,396 Likes on 1,586 Posts

Like Ram? It's still a Dodge... Fiat... or whatever. Sure, why not...
Old 08-03-2015, 08:29 PM
ratman6161
Pro

Received 119 Likes on 57 Posts

Its a meaningless discussion.

Where I live there are NO separate RAM dealerships. No separate Cadillac dealers etc. Like my local dealership is a Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep/RAM dealer. Across the street is a Chevrolet-Cadillac dealer (i dont think we have ANY dealers that are just Cadillac) and in the next town over is a GMC-Buick dealer and a Ford-Lincoln dealer.

Whats the point?
Old 08-03-2015, 08:36 PM
dvilin
Team Owner

Received 7,918 Likes on 4,804 Posts

Well stated.
Originally Posted by djpatrick35

Get notified of new replies

To Maybe Next-Gen Corvette Should Be a Separate Nameplate

Old 08-03-2015, 09:20 PM
kmil579
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by dbdave
He was talking about the Viper fiasco that failed. Quite different than their Ram split.
My point exactly. You can't point to the Viper "fiasco" that "failed" and say that it won't work without pointing to the Ram model that has worked out well for Chrysler. It all depends on how it is executed. It could work well or be a "fiasco". At this point I think this is a lot like pissing in the wind.
Old 08-03-2015, 09:35 PM
ratman6161
Pro

Received 119 Likes on 57 Posts

Originally Posted by kmil579
My point exactly. You can't point to the Viper "fiasco" that "failed" and say that it won't work without pointing to the Ram model that has worked out well for Chrysler. It all depends on how it is executed. It could work well or be a "fiasco". At this point I think this is a lot like pissing in the wind.
And RAM trucks are still sold at the same dealership as before. It used to be a Crysler/Dodge/Jeep dealership and now its a Crysler/Dodge/RAM/Jeep dealership. Same place, same salesman, same shop...so why does this matter? Its just marketing.
Old 08-03-2015, 09:50 PM
Corvette ED
Le Mans Master

Location: Pottsville, PA. USA Home Of America's Oldest Brewery Yuengling
Received 2,238 Likes on 1,032 Posts

Originally Posted by Dave@Kerbeck.com

Dave

Here is the problem with GM. Too many Chevrolet dealers who are clueless when it comes to Corvettes. There was a reason why GM told every dealer in December 2012 they had to sell 4 Corvettes to get the 2014. Only 900 did it. Now 3400 were crybabies and wanted the car.

So GM only being interested in money somebody in the company came up with this Idea. We will let the rest sell Corvettes if they pony up $3k to go to Spring Mountain buy some tools. 3,000+ dealers @ 3K =9 million dollars that GM made for doing nothing.

Now the 900 dealers just got screwed out of cars that they could have sold. So when you were waiting for your car because Z-51 or the roof was on constraint some small dealer just got a car for stock. I know for a fact that GM let all the small guys order unrestricted cars.

Was that fair to the 900 dealers who played by the rules? Now I will say several of the small dealers will turn down Corvette allocations and go away until the C8.

GM needs to put the cars in the hands of the dealers who can sell and service them in volume!!!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Maybe Next-Gen Corvette Should Be a Separate Nameplate