Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

So when would I use rev match and how??

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2015, 03:28 PM
meyerweb
Safety Car

Received 483 Likes on 320 Posts

Rt 20? Is that Florence (I-20)? I used to pass (and occasionally stop to eat) there frequently. My parents and in-laws lived in the Myrtle Beach area.

If not Florence, I can't recall another 20 crossing I-95, but then there are a bunch of little roads that go by almost unnoticed.

Last edited by meyerweb; 08-06-2015 at 03:30 PM.
Old 08-06-2015, 03:36 PM
JerryU
E-Ray, 3LZ, ZER, LIFT
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 9,624 Likes on 6,628 Posts

Originally Posted by not08crmanymore
BEST I got on the way back from Maryland Tuesday was 32.2. I kept forgetting I have a 7th gear now.
I don't use 7th all the time but on the 16 mile trip from town on I95 we're flat as a pancake, I usually set the cruise control at 77 mph and 67 mph depending on the speed limit. Might as well use 7th. If there are hills or if I'm passing folks then I often stay in 5th.
Frankly when the troopers driving in the opposite lane on I95 see a red Vette my radar detector sounds! I have much more fun on the more rural farm roads and usually take those into town. I don't get out of 5th and in several places there is no traffic at all and speeds can be higher than on I95!
Old 08-06-2015, 03:52 PM
themonk
Team Owner

Location: Calgary, AB. There's a reason why white was the only color offered on every year Corvette. Proud Canadian German Jamaican!
Received 1,456 Likes on 799 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09, '12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17

I wouldn't use RM in city driving, the car "jumps" forward when upshifting as well so if you're not used to it or paying attention you could rearend someone.
Old 08-06-2015, 04:08 PM
ratman6161
Pro

Received 119 Likes on 57 Posts

Originally Posted by meyerweb
Yes, but I'd give one caveat. I don't turn rev match on until the car warms up and the lowered redline on the tach goes away. That minimizes the chance that rev match will over-rev the cold engine.

I use rev match almost all the time. I turn it off (and set the exhaust to Tour mode) when I'm in an area where I want to remain quiet. Like leaving my house early in the morning.
I have rev match on most of the time and I wish there was a setting to have it come on by default when the car starts. On the warmup thing, I would consider that a non-issue at least for me. I'm not going to be pushing a cold engine hard enough where that will matter.

I have not heard anyone else mention this and have not read it anywhere either, but it seems to me that rev match seems to behave differently depending on driving mode. For example when downshifting to second in sport mode, it seems to rev more than if I'm making the same shift in tour mode....though I guess it could be it just seems that way because its also louder in sport (I have NPP) making it seem like its reving more?

Last edited by ratman6161; 08-06-2015 at 04:10 PM.
Old 08-06-2015, 04:13 PM
jedblanks
Safety Car

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

I leave it on except when coating to a light in neutral as it will hold the revs for a I gear I don't plan on engaging. paddles make it a snap to engage/disengage
Old 08-06-2015, 04:14 PM
JerryU
E-Ray, 3LZ, ZER, LIFT
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by ratman6161
I have rev match on most of the time and I wish there was a setting to have it come on by default when the car starts. On the warmup thing, I would consider that a non-issue at least for me. I'm not going to be pushing a cold engine hard enough where that will matter.

I have not hear anyone else mention this and have not read it anywhere either, but it seems to me that rev match seems to behave differently depending on driving mode. For example when downshifting to second in sport mode, it seems to rev more than if I'm making the same shift in tour mode....though I guess it could be it just seems that way because its also louder in sport (I have NPP) making it seem like its reving more?
Interesting observation, have not seen anything that says it is different depending on the driving mode. Since I drive 95+% of the time in Sport and only in Weather when it's cold or rainy can't comment.
Old 08-06-2015, 04:27 PM
JerryU
E-Ray, 3LZ, ZER, LIFT
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by themonk
I wouldn't use RM in city driving, the car "jumps" forward when upshifting as well so if you're not used to it or paying attention you could rearend someone.
I'll mention my "test" made the other day to post on another thread re over-revving. May have nothing to do with your car but I found the result interesting.
I was traveling in 5th at 45 mph (~1400 RPM in my Z51.) I was going to downshift to 4th, which would have been ~2000 rpm. When in neutral I moved the shift lever to the 1st/2nd gate. I did not go in 2nd gear (or 1st) it was just in the gate area but still in neutral. The engine revved very high! I assume it thought I was going to shift to 2nd. That would have been ~4000 rpm. I then went into 4th and the rpm's went to the matching 2000 rpm but only when I was actually in the gear.
The Hall Effect sensor does anticipate where you're going to do.
On up shifts all that rev match does is slow the rpm. I find it no different that when I lift off the throttle, which I do when up shifting anyway. I can't tell any difference.
Old 08-06-2015, 04:40 PM
Nosferatu
Le Mans Master

Received 127 Likes on 80 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14

what's that pedal all the way on the left do? I get really loud grinding sounds when I don't use rev match and try to move the gear shifter. Am I supposed to use the pedal on the left when I switch gears?

Old 08-06-2015, 04:54 PM
JerryU
E-Ray, 3LZ, ZER, LIFT
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Nosferatu
what's that pedal all the way on the left do? I get really loud grinding sounds when I don't use rev match and try to move the gear shifter. Am I supposed to use the pedal on the left when I switch gears?

No need. Just pull or push faster, the noise doesn't last as long! In fact if you do it enough you may wear off enough to of the synchromesh teeth and have what we called a crash box with 2/3 rds of them ground off. Shift quick enough and you "don't need no third peddle to shift!!"
Taking off however requires a lot of throttle as you push hard into 1st!
Old 08-06-2015, 07:35 PM
themonk
Team Owner

Location: Calgary, AB. There's a reason why white was the only color offered on every year Corvette. Proud Canadian German Jamaican!
Received 1,456 Likes on 799 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09, '12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17

Originally Posted by JerryU
I'll mention my "test" made the other day to post on another thread re over-revving. May have nothing to do with your car but I found the result interesting.
I was traveling in 5th at 45 mph (~1400 RPM in my Z51.) I was going to downshift to 4th, which would have been ~2000 rpm. When in neutral I moved the shift lever to the 1st/2nd gate. I did not go in 2nd gear (or 1st) it was just in the gate area but still in neutral. The engine revved very high! I assume it thought I was going to shift to 2nd. That would have been ~4000 rpm. I then went into 4th and the rpm's went to the matching 2000 rpm but only when I was actually in the gear.
The Hall Effect sensor does anticipate where you're going to do.
On up shifts all that rev match does is slow the rpm. I find it no different that when I lift off the throttle, which I do when up shifting anyway. I can't tell any difference.
rev match on upshifts keeps the the revs up there, no dropping like normal "foot off of gas when shifting" so instead of building up to the sweetspot it's already there.
Old 08-06-2015, 08:55 PM
z06adventures
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think the rev match feature works so well that its kind of a double edged sword. It takes a while and a lot of miles to get used to the 7 speed shifter and have all the downshift patterns committed to muscle memory for all kinds of driving, so its tempting to use rev match. But on the other hand, if do you start using rev match a lot, you will slowly lose the muscle memory of matching the rpm to the intended gear based on what you hear and see. Then someday when you want to do it manually, you will feel like a newbie.
So, my suggestion is to either use it all the time, or almost never at all.
Old 08-06-2015, 09:34 PM
JerryU
E-Ray, 3LZ, ZER, LIFT
Support Corvetteforum!

rev match on upshifts keeps the the revs up there, no dropping like normal "foot off of gas when shifting" so instead of building up to the sweetspot it's already there.
No. Rev match on upshifts has to lower the rpm not keep it there! Here's an example: If in 1st gear at 25 mph you'll be at 3200 rpm (all Z51 gearing.) If shifting to 2nd at the same 25 mph the rpm must lower to 2200 rpm to have a smooth transition. it depends on how fast you shift but normally taking your foot off the accelerator in the normal time to shift will achieve a close upshift match. If you shift slowly, rev match will keep the rpm from going lower than 2200 rpm but it does not keep it at the 3200 rpm in this case. It also only lasts for a limited time.
I find on up shifts I see no significant difference from what I do normally without rev match.
It's downshifts where I see the significant difference, especially at lower rpm's where heel/toe is difficult to modulate the throttle to achieve the "perfect match" as the computer does. For example, if traveling at 45 in 5th gear (~1400 rpm) and making a turn to another street, you can go directly to 3rd gear. For a "perfect" match the rpm would need to raise to ~2800 rpm. Rev Match does that close to "perfectly" with no surge or jerky motion.
Old 08-06-2015, 11:18 PM
Jedi-Jurist
Pro

Received 141 Likes on 72 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15

Works great on the track! You can concentrate on braking and your line instead of heel-toe, which is great for the new to intermediate drivers.
Old 08-07-2015, 07:14 AM
not08crmanymore
Team Owner

Received 138 Likes on 119 Posts

Well,on the way home from work last night I hit the padle for rev match. I didn't know if it was working never having used it before.Then I noticed the "7" turned from white to orange I guess....and when I shifted it was smooth as butter with no buck or jerking from the car and I didn't even hear any revving up or down...I did have the radio on though.. I watched the tach a little but didn't really see anything.I though the tach would be very colorful when it got to higher revs or even the 2-3-4 grand area..
Old 08-07-2015, 09:35 AM
meyerweb
Safety Car

Received 483 Likes on 320 Posts

It's kind of sad that dealers don't explain the features of the Corvette. My salesman showed me rev match on the test drive I took before ordering.
Old 08-07-2015, 09:40 AM
Runs11s
Pro

Received 39 Likes on 28 Posts

Both my '14 and now my '15 DSOM were 7M cars and had the features. Loved the Rev Match but never used the Launch Control but only because I just never raced the car.

GM hit it out of the park with the C7.
Old 08-07-2015, 11:18 AM
JerryU
E-Ray, 3LZ, ZER, LIFT
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by meyerweb
Rt 20? Is that Florence (I-20)? I used to pass (and occasionally stop to eat) there frequently. My parents and in-laws lived in the Myrtle Beach area.

If not Florence, I can't recall another 20 crossing I-95, but then there are a bunch of little roads that go by almost unnoticed.
Yep, live North of town. In fact at that intersection is where we often have many unmarked cars doing drug interdiction. They catch folks coming from the Texas area and from Florida bringing drugs up North. Have a friend who is a State Constable and participates. Recently they published one effort in the newspaper and said there were 150 police and 3 helicopters participating! They use blacked out SUV's, drug dogs etc. They actually operate mostly on the South lane as they far prefer to confiscate money, cars, trucks and SUV's! Can't make any money confiscating drugs!

Get notified of new replies

To So when would I use rev match and how??

Old 08-07-2015, 01:09 PM
cheapthrills
Melting Slicks

Received 441 Likes on 292 Posts

Originally Posted by not08crmanymore
Well,on the way home from work last night I hit the padle for rev match. I didn't know if it was working never having used it before.Then I noticed the "7" turned from white to orange I guess....and when I shifted it was smooth as butter with no buck or jerking from the car and I didn't even hear any revving up or down...I did have the radio on though.. I watched the tach a little but didn't really see anything.I though the tach would be very colorful when it got to higher revs or even the 2-3-4 grand area..
It's much more noticeable in the lower gears, try it shifting from 3rd to 2nd.
Old 08-07-2015, 01:17 PM
FLS2K
Pro

Received 193 Likes on 77 Posts

Not sure why this would happen.

I use RM, but only 100% of the time. In 7000 miles I've had no anomalies whatsoever. It works brilliantly in my '15 Z51.
Old 08-07-2015, 01:39 PM
JerryU
E-Ray, 3LZ, ZER, LIFT
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by FLS2K
Not sure why this would happen.

I use RM, but only 100% of the time. In 7000 miles I've had no anomalies whatsoever. It works brilliantly in my '15 Z51.
In my October 2013 delivered 2014 have never had a surge, and I use it all the time. However the other day made a test and found it will increase the rpm beyond what is needed if you move the shift lever into a lower gate than the gear you're planning to downshift (see my post #27.) You'll note I did not put it in the lower gear gate just had it in neutral but pulled the lever over. It does anticipate what gear you're planning to use!
I also had to stop a common practice I was using in my C6 and other cars where I was going to skip gears, even if just coming to a stop light. I would depress the clutch, leave it depressed while I put it in the gears I was skipping. It spooled up the gear clusters. Just a habit. They warn not to do that since it just confuses the computer! With triple syncro's in most gears and some being carbon faced, that's all that is needed.

Quick Reply: So when would I use rev match and how??