Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2015, 10:36 AM
JerryU
E-Ray, 3LZ, ZER, LIFT
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 9,624 Likes on 6,628 Posts

Originally Posted by meyerweb
I'm sure GM put that part on there for the following reasons:

1. They wanted to spend more money than necessary, so adding a useless part was a good way to do it.

2. They thought owners would love the scraping sound it makes.

3. They know Corvette owners like to mod their cars, and removing this would be an easy one.

Sure, there's no functional value to it at all, GM just put it on there, well, because....

I'm always amused at the folks who think they know more than GM's engineers, and make aero judgements based on intuition. Sanantguy says Larry's test is invalid because (I guess) it's anecdotal, and then uses nothing but anecdotal evidence to support his decision to remove it.

And he doesn't just know more than GM's engineers. If you read the rest of his posts, in his few short weeks of ownership he knows more than the collected wisdom of the forum. Sure, everyone just imagines the reduction in sound when they apply something like FatMat.

Amusing.
I have lot's of fun with info on my website about how lowering the tailgate on a pick-up increasing drag and causing a reduction in gas mileage not an increase! I site several good scientific reports as well as one from Click and Clack and another from the MythBusters!
For those who prefer the non scientific info this is what was reported on the MythBusters: Adam and Jamie, drove two identical Ford F150 pickup trucks filled with identical amounts of gas. One with the tailgate up the other down. They drove the same road and after 500 miles the one with the tailgate up went 30 miles further before it ran out of gas! That's 6% better (30/500!) Note YMMV but it's all in that direction!
If aerodynamics was simple and intuitive F1 folks would not be spending millions making continual small changes with each team having their own wind tunnel!

Last edited by JerryU; 08-07-2015 at 10:49 AM.
Old 08-07-2015, 12:23 PM
carpe dm
Le Mans Master

Received 36 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by jagamajajaran
I've had mine off for more than 15,000 miles. Now, if I hear something scrape, I don't have to wonder if it's okay or something bad.
Now you know it is something bad.......
Old 08-07-2015, 04:07 PM
05XLRtoC7_San Diego
Burning Brakes

Received 231 Likes on 146 Posts

Originally Posted by sanantguy
In this case. I don't care how those pieces may have directed airflow, or saved gas mileage. The damn car scraped going in and out of my driveway, so it was either alter my house, or alter the car..............the house won.
AMEN. I don't care if the car gets 0.005 mpg better or is more stable at 150 mph (a speed I'll never reach).
I do care when my car sounds like HELL scraping, which is embarrassing and scary to passengers.

Wish we could find the exact engineer(s) at GM who green-lighted these pieces to find out the truth behind them. GM bean-counters require the part to serve a sufficient purpose.
Old 08-07-2015, 10:47 PM
alamo1974
Drifting

Received 82 Likes on 73 Posts

1. They wanted to spend more money than necessary, so adding a useless part was a good way to do it.

3. They know Corvette owners like to mod their cars, and removing this would be an easy one.

Sure, there's no functional value to it at all, GM just put it on there, well, because....

I'm always amused at the folks who think they know more than GM's engineers, and make aero judgements based on intuition. Sanantguy says Larry's test is invalid because (I guess) it's anecdotal, and then uses nothing but anecdotal evidence to support his decision to remove it.

And he doesn't just know more than GM's engineers. If you read the rest of his posts, in his few short weeks of ownership he knows more than the collected wisdom of the forum. Sure, everyone just imagines the reduction in sound when they apply something like FatMat.

Amusing.
OUCH
Old 08-07-2015, 10:58 PM
sanantguy
Burning Brakes

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

Amusing.
If you have issues. speak up son, my line is always open.

As for the rest. Stated plainly I don't give a rats *** about fuel economy, or any perceived handling benefits over 150mph.

With plastic piece=scraped going in the garage

Without=no scraping

Pretty easy from my perspective. Take what you want from it.

oh yes, if you have ever conducted a "true experiment" (google it) then you know that conclusions are not drawn unless there is sufficient evidence.

Didn't start the thread for a pissing contest or to justify my actions. I do what I want with my car. You do what you want with yours. End of story.
Old 08-07-2015, 11:24 PM
rcooper
Safety Car

Received 676 Likes on 480 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15

No disrespect meant here,but if you start a thread then you will get a lot of answers. If you do what you want with your car why start a thread to ask if others have done it, which will bring up a boat load of " Whys" and also of "Why not's".
This, of course brings in the armchair designers and their design concepts. Proven, of course, by their own wind tunnel powered by a floor fan from Walmart and smoke from a $2.00 cigar.
I, like you, do what I want with my car, Which is why I have red pin stripes on every crease.
Just saying.
Old 08-07-2015, 11:54 PM
Vetteman Jack
Administrator

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: In a parallel universe. Currently own 2014 Stingray Coupe.
Received 19,299 Likes on 13,972 Posts
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
MO Events Coordinator
St. Jude Co-Organizer
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-
'20-'21-'22-'23-'24
NCM Sinkhole Donor
CI 5, 8 & 11 Veteran

It's your car and you can do what the heck you want with it. If you're happy with taking things off that were designed to be on there, then . I can understand not wanting to hear the scraping noise though.
Old 08-08-2015, 12:15 AM
nmvettec7
Safety Car

Received 850 Likes on 493 Posts

Amusing.
Good post....
Old 08-08-2015, 12:53 AM
tunaman
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 110 Likes on 78 Posts

If you have issues. speak up son, my line is always open.

As for the rest. Stated plainly I don't give a rats *** about fuel economy, or any perceived handling benefits over 150mph.

With plastic piece=scraped going in the garage

Without=no scraping

Pretty easy from my perspective. Take what you want from it.

oh yes, if you have ever conducted a "true experiment" (google it) then you know that conclusions are not drawn unless there is sufficient evidence.

Didn't start the thread for a pissing contest or to justify my actions. I do what I want with my car. You do what you want with yours. End of story.
Must be your first Vette... No pissing contest here. It is your car, do as you wish.

I've had enough that it doesn't bother me. I'd be concerned if mine didn't make noise when coming in or out of my driveway.
Old 08-08-2015, 09:21 AM
Horsefly
Racer

Received 44 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by nmvettec7
Good post....
I too, agree.
Old 08-10-2015, 09:48 AM
rmorin1249
Le Mans Master

Received 1,738 Likes on 1,174 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15-'16,'18

Do the bolts/screws securing the front air dam(s) serve any other purpose other than securing the air dam? Should they be reinstalled if the air dams are removed?
Old 08-10-2015, 10:04 AM
nmvettec7
Safety Car

Originally Posted by rmorin1249
Do the bolts/screws securing the front air dam(s) serve any other purpose other than securing the air dam? Should they be reinstalled if the air dams are removed?
Yes, they do Randall.

There are several washer screws that hold up the front bumper.

When installing a front air dam, you can use these screws but you will have to drill 5 or 6 more to secure the air dam.

If you ever remove the front air dam, the washer screws will need to be reinstalled to hold up the front bumper.
Old 08-10-2015, 10:08 AM
rmorin1249
Le Mans Master

Received 1,738 Likes on 1,174 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15-'16,'18

Yes, they do Randall.

When installing a front air dam, you can use these screws but you will have to drill 5 or 6 more to secure the air dam.

If you ever remove the front air dam, the washer screws will need to be reinstalled to hold up the front bumper.
Thanks. I will be installing a poverty splitter but was curious about the hardware securing the 3 air dam pieces since it seems some folks are wanting to remove the air dams without installing a splitter.
Old 08-10-2015, 10:25 AM
sanantguy
Burning Brakes

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

Yes, they do Randall.

Looking under the car there are other large bolts that hold the front end on.

It did not appear that the screws for the front air dam do anything aside from hold the air dam on.

could be wrong.
Old 08-10-2015, 10:31 AM
nmvettec7
Safety Car

Looking under the car there are other large bolts that hold the front end on.

It did not appear that the screws for the front air dam do anything aside from hold the air dam on.

could be wrong.
sanantguy:

Yes, you are wrong.

I have personally installed the so-called "poverty" splitter and I used the existing OEM GM Washer Screws.

I then drilled an additional 5-6 holes with a 5/16th drill bit and secured the front air dam using push in plastic scrivets.

When I say "existing OEM GM Washer Screws" these washer screws are there for a reason.
Old 08-10-2015, 10:34 AM
sycraft
Burning Brakes

Received 85 Likes on 67 Posts

mine are on, I use them as a guage, when I hear them I know I am close to the next part, my CF splitter. I want the warning

Quick Reply: Anyone remove front pieces?