C7 General Discussion General C7 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

First issue today - DIC went off while driving.

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2015, 01:52 PM
janicept
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default First issue today - DIC went off while driving.

I started the car after work and pulled onto the main road like normal. I noticed the parking light was on as well as the battery light and the tire pressure light. I didn't think these lights where usually on so I quickly switched to the tire pressure screen and the front driver side tire was reading 29 psi and all others were at 30 psi. A little low but not major since it had been sitting for about 8 hours. I was worried I had accidently put the parking brake on so I hit that button and nothing happened (I was only going about 30 mph on city road). There is a Chevy dealer about 3 miles away so I figure I can make it there since the car seems to be running fine. This may have been a coincidence but when the tire pressure of the one tire went to 30 psi the entire screen went off and I couldn't use the steering control for the volume for about 5 seconds until it came back on. All the warning lights were off since then and it seems fine. I stopped at the dealer but after waiting in line about five minutes and still not even getting to the person that could tell me the wait time I left. I searched this website briefly and haven't seen any other reports of this but have not yet checked the manual. I put some more air in the tire when I got home. After I check the manual I may try my code checker to see if it threw any codes.

Any input is appreciated unless you're going to tell me to read the manual - I know.
Old 08-10-2015, 02:00 PM
meyerweb
Safety Car

Received 483 Likes on 320 Posts

I don't think you'll find that in the manual. And I don't think it has anything to do with tire pressures. I'd have the dealer see if there are any codes. But it may just be one of those computer glitches that never happens again.
Old 08-10-2015, 02:13 PM
jedblanks
Safety Car

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

Most likely the system had a glitch and rebooted itself.

In the past, my 2014 has locked up and I'd have to disconnect both battery cables and touch them together to reset the system. Maybe that was fixed into a reboot by software changes, or maybe it was a different glitch.

Going off while driving is very dangerous. Did the speed and other gauges still work?
Old 08-10-2015, 03:07 PM
Jimbob26
Burning Brakes

Received 81 Likes on 64 Posts

Mine has gone black (or dimmed severely) a couple of times. Also, the radio stopped playing (although it looked like it was on) a couple of times as well. They either rebooted themselves (in the case of the DIC) or reset when I turned the car off and started it again.

I think the car will be bulletproof mechanically, but with all these electronics I opted for an extended warranty.
Old 08-10-2015, 09:10 PM
FLS2K
Pro

Received 193 Likes on 77 Posts

Probably just a glitch. The only DIC warning msg I've ever received was "service keyless start system." It happened once and only once.
Old 08-11-2015, 04:51 AM
janicept
Racer

Originally Posted by jedblanks
Most likely the system had a glitch and rebooted itself.

In the past, my 2014 has locked up and I'd have to disconnect both battery cables and touch them together to reset the system. Maybe that was fixed into a reboot by software changes, or maybe it was a different glitch.

Going off while driving is very dangerous. Did the speed and other gauges still work?
I think the gauges all lowered down but then it came back on so fast everything came back fine. The radio definitely stayed on because when the DIC went black I tried to turn down the volume and couldn't.

When I went to the gym last night there was no problems at either of those starts. I was too lazy to check for codes but I definitely will. Hopefully the code checker I bought for my C6 works on this car.
Old 08-11-2015, 04:54 AM
janicept
Racer

Originally Posted by Jimbob26
Mine has gone black (or dimmed severely) a couple of times. Also, the radio stopped playing (although it looked like it was on) a couple of times as well. They either rebooted themselves (in the case of the DIC) or reset when I turned the car off and started it again.

I think the car will be bulletproof mechanically, but with all these electronics I opted for an extended warranty.
Did the dealer find any issues with your car? If this happens on occasion they should really warn people - it's scary. I have about 13K miles on mine and this is the first time it's happened.
Old 08-11-2015, 04:58 AM
Chip E.
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 93 Likes on 58 Posts
St. Jude Donor '16

Can you guys reporting this "glitch" please identify your build date, and if you've done any software updates? This could be helpful in finding a pattern.

thanks,

- chip (no problems with my 3/15 build (so far). I do know that I need to work on the nut that holds the steering wheel.
Old 08-11-2015, 02:53 PM
janicept
Racer

Originally Posted by Chip E.
Can you guys reporting this "glitch" please identify your build date, and if you've done any software updates? This could be helpful in finding a pattern.

thanks,

- chip (no problems with my 3/15 build (so far). I do know that I need to work on the nut that holds the steering wheel.
I think it came off the line 12/23/14. It was the last day before they closed for holiday break. I got it 1/1/15.
Old 08-11-2015, 05:05 PM
BigJoe
Race Director

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 64 Likes on 43 Posts

Wait... some terminology. The DIC is the small area where you get messages. Is that what "went off" meaning showed some messages? Or are you saying the entire dash display went dark and you couldn't see anything on the dash? (But then you couldn't see tire pressures etc.)
Old 08-11-2015, 05:58 PM
iclick
Melting Slicks

Received 618 Likes on 420 Posts

Originally Posted by janicept
I think it came off the line 12/23/14. It was the last day before they closed for holiday break. I got it 1/1/15.
Mine was built 12/18/14 and I've had no trouble with the DIC except a minor software glitch that was corrected with update PI1375B, but nothing like what you describe. Have you had any software updates done? The current software update for Infotainment/DIC is PI1375C.
Old 08-11-2015, 06:52 PM
speedlink
Safety Car

Received 599 Likes on 373 Posts

Did the dealer find any issues with your car? If this happens on occasion they should really warn people - it's scary. I have about 13K miles on mine and this is the first time it's happened.
Sounds from your original post, it could be a bad, or dying battery. Possibly a charging problem.
In these cars, when the battery is about ready to fail, all kinds of instrument, lights, or other electronic issues can show up.

Let us know how this is resolved.
Best of luck.
Old 08-12-2015, 04:58 AM
janicept
Racer

Originally Posted by BigJoe
Wait... some terminology. The DIC is the small area where you get messages. Is that what "went off" meaning showed some messages? Or are you saying the entire dash display went dark and you couldn't see anything on the dash? (But then you couldn't see tire pressures etc.)

The screen went completely black and the volume control on the steering wheel didn't work. It went back on shortly after and the tire pressure on the one low tire had gone from 29 psi to 30 psi. When the screen turned back on everything was normal.

It has had a few hiccups before like the radio not coming on immediately when I turn it on until I hit a button - I forget which one. A couple other small things like that with the radio but I found other people have had similar issues. The entire screen going black was very scary especially on a fairly new car. It seemed to be more of a display issue since the car ran fine through the situation and this has not happened again. I'll probably check for codes this weekend.
Old 08-12-2015, 01:04 PM
BigJoe
Race Director

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 64 Likes on 43 Posts

The screen went completely black and the volume control on the steering wheel didn't work. It went back on shortly after and the tire pressure on the one low tire had gone from 29 psi to 30 psi. When the screen turned back on everything was normal.

It has had a few hiccups before like the radio not coming on immediately when I turn it on until I hit a button - I forget which one. A couple other small things like that with the radio but I found other people have had similar issues. The entire screen going black was very scary especially on a fairly new car. It seemed to be more of a display issue since the car ran fine through the situation and this has not happened again. I'll probably check for codes this weekend.
Sorry, still confused. By 'Screen" do you mean the Infotainment screen or the display in dash where the tachometer is (between the analog speedometer and gas gauges)? If the infotainment screen went black, that has happened to a lot, including me. You'll eventually need to get a replacement at the dealer. But if the main dash area goes black that could affect being able to drive the car and is more serious.
Old 08-12-2015, 03:56 PM
janicept
Racer

Originally Posted by BigJoe
Sorry, still confused. By 'Screen" do you mean the Infotainment screen or the display in dash where the tachometer is (between the analog speedometer and gas gauges)? If the infotainment screen went black, that has happened to a lot, including me. You'll eventually need to get a replacement at the dealer. But if the main dash area goes black that could affect being able to drive the car and is more serious.

I haven't had any trouble with the infotainment screen. The screen that went black was the one that shows your speed. It was only off for a few seconds and I was driving in town so I wasn't worried about speeding. If this had happened on the highway I would have really freaked out. I always thought the DIC was the one that shows your speed since I had one in my C6 and there was no infotainment screen in that.
Old 08-12-2015, 04:27 PM
jcp911s
Melting Slicks

Received 1,583 Likes on 795 Posts

Ahhh... maybe... want to rethink the header on your post???

Get notified of new replies

To First issue today - DIC went off while driving.

Quick Reply: First issue today - DIC went off while driving.