Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Buying A C7 From A Member Here-Safe?

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2015, 04:54 PM
Bencher
Racer

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Buying A C7 From A Member Here-Safe?

I'm planning to purchase a Corvette, private party, from a member here. This will be my first time purchasing a vehicle from out-of-state and without seeing the vehicle first. What things do I need to make the sale safe for me, besides looking at the Carfax report? Is there some sort of contract I should produce too make sure that I don't get a vehicle that has been in a collision, and not reported on Carfax. The sale will be bank to bank financing.

Thanks for any input.
,Pete
Old 08-10-2015, 05:00 PM
Rooster OG
Le Mans Master

Received 1,694 Likes on 1,240 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15

You're not planning on seeing the car at all? Are you just going to have it trucked to you?

I wouldn't be comfortable with that at all. A $100 transaction, yes. A car? Not for me.

Good luck!
Old 08-10-2015, 05:05 PM
oldC5
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,223 Likes on 734 Posts

Originally Posted by Rooster OG
You're not planning on seeing the car at all? Are you just going to have it trucked to you?

I wouldn't be comfortable with that at all. A $100 transaction, yes. A car? Not for me.

Good luck!
Most members are great guys , but we do have some ****.
Old 08-10-2015, 05:09 PM
Stan0324
Drifting

Received 177 Likes on 109 Posts

Default Buying A C7 From A Member Here- Safe?

Ask if a local member can go and check it out for you.
Old 08-10-2015, 05:09 PM
Bencher
Racer

Good luck!
The seller is planning to drive down the vehicle to me and then fly back. What about a contract that states if any signs of previous damage that the sale will be void?
Old 08-10-2015, 05:10 PM
robert miller
Team Owner

Received 1,762 Likes on 1,529 Posts

Originally Posted by Bencher
I'm planning to purchase a Corvette, private party, from a member here. This will be my first time purchasing a vehicle from out-of-state and without seeing the vehicle first. What things do I need to make the sale safe for me, besides looking at the Carfax report? Is there some sort of contract I should produce too make sure that I don't get a vehicle that has been in a collision, and not reported on Carfax. The sale will be bank to bank financing.

Thanks for any input.
,Pete
Pete, get on a plane and go SEE this car, Are get a person in here are someplace close to the seller to go look at the car for you even if you have to pay the guy to do so..

I bought a 65 vette from a guy in here he told me part of the stuff if you looked at the car you could see. But other things he didn't tell me he was a lawyer also. So stupid me took his word & it cost me a new motor in the car after he told me he would stand behind it.
I paid to have it shipped to me 63 miles short trip never laid rubber in it one time wife was with me. Engine went out on it, he had it redone some time before I got it. Who ever bored the block didn't clean all the small metal out of it.

THEN I GOT BACK UP WITH HIM TOLD ME NO COULDNT DO NOTHING ARE PAY FOR ANYTHING.

I just got my 2014 3lt z51 from a guy in FA me and the wife got on a plane went down car was just what the guy told me we drove the car back.

One more thing don't trust carfax at all.

Last edited by robert miller; 08-10-2015 at 05:13 PM.
Old 08-10-2015, 05:13 PM
rmorin1249
Le Mans Master

Received 1,738 Likes on 1,174 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15-'16,'18

You can also pay a competent garage or dealer to perform a PPI. Well worth the cost.
Old 08-10-2015, 05:13 PM
green2000
Burning Brakes

Received 130 Likes on 88 Posts

You can't even be sure buying a new car from a dealer. I had negotiated a price on a 2010 Corvette and found out that it had $4000 damage when someone backed it into something at the dealer. This was pointed out before I finalized. The sales manager wasn't aware of the damage. Another time, I bought a 2001 Camaro and found out when I sold it that at least the trunk lid was repainted. Neither of these things showed up in Carfax reports.

Do your homework and work out whatever contract you are comfortable with. If you have doubts, there are other cars out there but you won't be sure about them either.
Old 08-10-2015, 05:33 PM
fsvoboda
Melting Slicks

Received 795 Likes on 565 Posts

Originally Posted by rmorin1249
You can also pay a competent garage or dealer to perform a PPI. Well worth the cost.

There are services that do this at minimal cost. I've seen several advertised on Ebay in the past.
Old 08-10-2015, 05:47 PM
Woodson
Le Mans Master

Received 1,362 Likes on 788 Posts

Not a chance.
Old 08-10-2015, 06:01 PM
KratosBear
Pro

Received 229 Likes on 133 Posts

Where is the car located? I agree, take a plane ride or at a minimum, have a member look at for you.
Old 08-10-2015, 06:07 PM
Bencher
Racer

Thanks for the responses. The car is located in Yorktown, IN. Problem is how will I find someone in that area, and how will I know I will get a accurate report.

What if I put a deposit down, then sign the rest of the bank paperwork after the car arrives here and I inspect it.
Old 08-10-2015, 06:19 PM
TKay
Racer

Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Stan0324
This what I would do.
Old 08-10-2015, 06:23 PM
Steve_R
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,289 Likes on 1,399 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17

Carfax is next to useless. Either go look at it yourself or find someone to do it for you.

This is an anonymous internet chat board. People here are no more or less trustworthy simply because they're a member.
Old 08-10-2015, 06:42 PM
Indy-hp
Le Mans Master

Received 65 Likes on 56 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09

I would not buy a used car without seeing and driving it first.

When I sold my C5 on the forum, I traded lots of pictures and emails with the buyer, who flew to me with a check but reserved the right to back out if he didn't like the car. He drove it home and left me the check.

Fly to Indiana and inspect the car in person, and take it for a test drive. If you want to buy it, drive it home, or fly home and let him drive it to Houston for you, or have it shipped home.
Old 08-10-2015, 06:45 PM
Indy-hp
Le Mans Master

Received 65 Likes on 56 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09

Originally Posted by Stan0324
That's a great thing to do if you are wondering whether a personal visit is worth the time and expense, but not as a substitute for a pre-purchase personal inspection of the vehicle.
Old 08-10-2015, 06:45 PM
KratosBear
Pro

Received 229 Likes on 133 Posts

Originally Posted by Indy-hp
I would not buy a used car without seeing and driving it first.

When I sold my C5 on the forum, I traded lots of pictures and emails with the buyer, who flew to me with a check but reserved the right to back out if he didn't like the car. He drove it home and left me the check.

Fly to Indiana and inspect the car in person, and take it for a test drive. If you want to buy it, drive it home, or fly home and let him drive it to Houston for you, or have it shipped home.

Get notified of new replies

To Buying A C7 From A Member Here-Safe?

Old 08-10-2015, 07:17 PM
Rooster OG
Le Mans Master

Received 1,694 Likes on 1,240 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15

Originally Posted by Bencher
What if I put a deposit down, then sign the rest of the bank paperwork after the car arrives here and I inspect it.
If you're going to do that, use an escrow service to hold the deposit. There are lots of them online that are easy to use. Then stipulate that you want to inspect it and have your mechanic inspect it if he's going to drive it to you. That would be the only way I would feel comfortable. To me, that would be much better than relying on a third party, or having to fly up there.

It's up to you and your comfort level though.
Old 08-10-2015, 07:23 PM
bluman
Melting Slicks

Received 349 Likes on 199 Posts

Have a look here and see if anyone is near that can take a look at the vehicle.

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...solidated.html
Old 08-10-2015, 07:26 PM
SteveMcGuire
Instructor

Received 23 Likes on 14 Posts

If you're going to do that, use an escrow service to hold the deposit. There are lots of them online that are easy to use. Then stipulate that you want to inspect it and have your mechanic inspect it if he's going to drive it to you. That would be the only way I would feel comfortable. To me, that would be much better than relying on a third party, or having to fly up there.

It's up to you and your comfort level though.
Gee whiz man. Spend $400 and fly to see this car. I did exactly that when I was buying a puppy. Wasn't about to let someone else pick it out for me

Quick Reply: Buying A C7 From A Member Here-Safe?