Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I'm thinking I have enough wax on her.

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2015, 02:29 PM
cheapthrills
Melting Slicks

Received 441 Likes on 292 Posts
Default I'm thinking I have enough wax on her.

Looked pretty cool after a nice downpour. Yes she got wet and didn't melt.
Old 08-16-2015, 02:47 PM
R1stunner
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What you use?
Old 08-16-2015, 02:58 PM
z edge
Race Director

Location: BOOMER SOONER Big 12 Champions 2000, 2002, 2004, 2006 - 2008, 2010, 2012, 2015 - 2020.....
Received 914 Likes on 527 Posts

Cool. I just put a coat of Meguiars on mine last monday, took the better part of the day to get it done. No driving in the rain for me though!
Old 08-16-2015, 03:11 PM
motomanvette
Melting Slicks

Received 89 Likes on 65 Posts

Some of those water drops are on the large size...I think you need another coat.
Old 08-16-2015, 03:12 PM
dvilin
Team Owner

Received 7,922 Likes on 4,808 Posts

Nice shot, I have 3 coats of Liquid Glass on mine.
Old 08-16-2015, 04:29 PM
cheapthrills
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by R1stunner
What you use?
Duragloss 105. Really easy on and off and looks great
Old 08-16-2015, 07:29 PM
geo2000
Drifting

Received 114 Likes on 111 Posts

Impressive
Old 08-16-2015, 08:26 PM
Steve Garrett
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 7,752 Likes on 4,181 Posts
CORVETTE TODAY Host
St. Jude Donor'15

<p>Yea.....I think you got it.</p>
Old 08-16-2015, 08:56 PM
rm50
Melting Slicks

Received 202 Likes on 73 Posts
2020 C8 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

Great Job!!
Old 08-17-2015, 02:58 PM
BigJoe
Race Director

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 64 Likes on 43 Posts

Looks like one coat of Zaino. :
Old 08-17-2015, 08:26 PM
nmvettec7
Safety Car

Received 850 Likes on 493 Posts

You have some very nice beading of the water, however, your beads should be able to run down the slopes of the hood, not stay on the surface. In addition, your water beads are large and should be much smaller in diameter.

You need to create a much slicker surface so the water beading runs off, not just sit on the surface. My bet is while you might have a good coat of wax on the C7, the paint surface is contaminated and needs to be clay barred or nano skinned. It is the "microscopic contaminents" that lay on the surface that cannot be seen, that prohibits the water beading from running down any surface or slope. The C7 has many slopes for water to run.

Let the car dry, and do a simple test. Place a plastic sandwich baggie (not a heavy plastic freezer bag) over your fingers and test the paint surface. My bet it is feels rough. While your human finegrs alone will not feel the imbeded contaminets, using a thin plastic sandwich baggie over your fingers will make you feel the imbeded dirt on the surface that you just can't normally see or feel.

I detail lots of classic and modern sports cars.

Give it try.
Old 08-17-2015, 08:34 PM
raspyc6
Le Mans Master

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by nmvettec7
You have some very nice beading of the water, however, your beads should be able to run down the slopes of the hood, not stay on the surface. In addition, your water beads are large and should be much smaller in diameter.

You need to create a much slicker surface so the water beading runs off, not just sit on the surface. My bet is while you might have a good coat of wax on the C7, the paint surface is contaminated and needs to be clay barred or nano skinned. It is the "microscopic contaminents" that lay on the surface that cannot be seen, that prohibits the water beading from running down any surface or slope. The C7 has many slopes for water to run.

Let the car dry, and do a simple test. Place a plastic sandwich baggie (not a heavy plastic freezer bag) over your fingers and test the paint surface. My bet it is feels rough. While your human finegrs alone will not feel the imbeded contaminets, using a thin plastic sandwich baggie over your fingers will make you feel the imbeded dirt on the surface that you just can't normally see or feel.

Give it try.
On a separate note...Is that Brandi Love as your avatar? I have seen you switch her out regarding different pics...I had to ask. She is just so hot and just plain nectar and I....need to stop talking about her...I'm at work and....well
Old 08-17-2015, 10:12 PM
///ADMAN
Melting Slicks

Received 471 Likes on 307 Posts

Looks good. But, does seems a little strange the beads are just staying there.
Old 08-18-2015, 12:24 AM
owc6
Team Owner

Received 4,186 Likes on 2,679 Posts

Originally Posted by ///ADMAN
Looks good. But, does seems a little strange the beads are just staying there.
He needs to take a picture at speed, WHAMO! not a drop to be seen!
Old 08-18-2015, 09:39 AM
cheapthrills
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by owc6
Exactly, note the hud, I'm going 0 mph, just ran into the car from a downpour that just stopped.
Old 08-18-2015, 09:43 AM
cheapthrills
Melting Slicks

Give it try.
I'm not sure I'm that OCD about that level of commitment to waxing.

When my son was younger I'd pay him to wash and wax my truck, he'd come and tell me he's all done. I'd put fingers on the side and he knew he was doomed, yeah I'll wax it now he would say.
Old 08-18-2015, 09:48 AM
nmvettec7
Safety Car

Originally Posted by owc6
Originally Posted by cheapthrills
Exactly, note the hud, I'm going 0 mph, just ran into the car from a downpour that just stopped.
Your not looking for a 50 or 70 MPH blow dry.

Speed should not matter.......there is enough slope on the hood as seen in the photo that should make the water beading run down. Very little water beading should remain.

This is no different after pouring water on the hood after a good quality detail job and the car is sitting in the driveway. The water beading should run down the slopes or angles.

I would suggest that if you didn't conduct the plastic sandwich baggie test, then clay bar or nano skin 1/2 of the hood (right side or left side 1/2 way). Then apply your coating, sealant or wax, and see what happens. This will take 15 to 30 minutes of your time.

My bet is you will see a noticeable difference between the 2 sides that might surprise you.

Give it try. It is another simple test to see if the paint surface has contaminents .

Get notified of new replies

To I'm thinking I have enough wax on her.

Old 08-18-2015, 09:52 AM
cheapthrills
Melting Slicks

Your not looking for a 50 or 70 MPH blow dry.

Speed should not matter.......there is enough slope on the hood as seen in the photo that should make the water beading run down. Very little water beading should remain.

This is no different after pouring water on the hood after a good quality detail job and the car is sitting in the driveway. The water beading should run down the slopes or angles.

I would suggest that if you didn't conduct the plastic sandwich baggie test, then clay bar or nano skin 1/2 of the hood (right side or left side 1/2 way). Then apply your coating, sealant or wax, and see what happens. This will take 15 to 30 minutes of your time.

My bet is you will see a noticeable difference between the 2 sides that might surprise you.

Give it try. It is another simple test to see if the paint surface has contaminents .
LOL you know I'm going to have to do this now don't you.
Old 08-18-2015, 10:10 AM
nmvettec7
Safety Car

Originally Posted by cheapthrills
LOL you know I'm going to have to do this now don't you.
You can do it.
Old 08-18-2015, 12:38 PM
RC000E
Le Mans Master

Received 346 Likes on 208 Posts

I didn't want to be a naysayer but...water pooling on the car actually means it has bite and the surface tension is holding it there. If it were truly smooth and uniform, there wouldn't be any beading at all. The fact there are some fairly large beads means there is a lot of bite.

I'd be looking for a better product personally. All those beads leave marks from acid rain, pollution, etc.

Try harder...lol.

Quick Reply: I'm thinking I have enough wax on her.