Sponsored by:

Is the C7 the best Sports Car under $80K

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2017, 07:00 PM
thill444
Le Mans Master

Received 4,100 Likes on 2,003 Posts

Originally Posted by quick04Z06
The knock on the Z, the "scariness", has been its tailhappiness. If you mean its inherent power is scary, well, okay, but the power of a car does not make it scary--it is the way you use that power that makes it scary.

Perhaps you can clarify yourself, Village...
When Motortrend first tested the Z06 the press car they received had been wrecked by Car And Driver at VIR, and was not propertly aligned. The Z06 took a beating from the MT staff as they claimed it was very unpredictable and tail happy. GM fixed it and MT retested it:
http://www.motortrend.com/cars/chevr...-track-retest/

Randy Pobst found that Z06 to be very well balanced and no longer scary.
Old 09-18-2017, 07:20 PM
village idiot
Le Mans Master

Received 1,913 Likes on 1,053 Posts

650hp is a lot to handle, even with great alignment. That's not the problem. My car felt wonderful and it's still a lot of power. It's 190 more horses.
Old 09-18-2017, 07:26 PM
desmophile
Racer

Received 112 Likes on 85 Posts

Originally Posted by Voytek
I got a 2012 turbo a month ago... $170k sticker, I bought it for $79k. I'm pretty sure I can beat a c7z

I am glad you are happy with the Porsche. Best you not go to a track day near you and have some Z06 drivers disprove your wishful thinking.

It is a very nice car, but my kids are gone
The following users liked this post:
dvilin (10-23-2017)
Old 09-18-2017, 08:05 PM
desmophile
Racer

Received 112 Likes on 85 Posts
Default is the C7 really that good?

Originally Posted by 1SG_Ret
Just curious to get opinions.

I've been a Corvette guy for many years, and never questioned the "bang for the buck" the Corvette provides. However seems like in any head to head or three-way comparison, Porsche seems to always garner top honors.

Are they really that good?
This winter past I was reading up and getting the magazines opinions of high performance cars currently available. My last performance car was a 1972 Lotus Europa. I wanted something that handled well, but with a lot more power. When Road and Track wrote in its December 2016 issue "the (Lotus) Evora is the only real car here, in the traditional sense. All the rest are machines. Except the Corvette (C7 Grand Sport), which is a machine that does a damn good impression of a car. Every aspect of the Corvette is computer-controlled, yet it's done so well that it feels transparent", I was sold. A car that feels a lot like a Lotus, and about 200 more horsepower (I bought the Z06). And costs the same, and costs less to maintain. I have not been disappointed.

All of the cars discussed in this thread cannot be used fully on the street. All of them are a heck of a lot of fun. For the street, take your pick and your color, whatever floats your boat.

None of the cars discussed here will get you more attention from young boys and 19 year old girls at a gas station than the C7. Use that information any way you like.

I bought the Z06 to go to the track. I run in the intermediate/advanced groups and come across all sorts of Mustangs, Turbo s's, GTRs, and some other Z06s...... So far no one in a car that they DROVE to the track has passed me. It will likely happen sooner or later. Learn to drive it. Treat it with respect (I have been slapped across the face a few times). It's the car my friends.

I have an outstanding offer to owners of the new Ford GT. If you drive to SLC and beat me at Utah Motorsports Campus in your car, I will pay all your road trip and track fee expenses. And enjoy the driving lesson
The following 2 users liked this post by desmophile:
edved (09-18-2017), red62vette (09-18-2017)
Old 09-19-2017, 12:22 AM
3 Z06ZR1
Team Owner

Received 900 Likes on 742 Posts

Originally Posted by Voytek
i know it's hard for a c7z owner to realize that a 4 door can spank him... but it happens when you have launch control and AWD.
HAHA! That's funny! That thing needs a chain hooked up to keep up!
Anytime for roll start at 50 mph for pinks with my Z06! Lets go!

Last edited by 3 Z06ZR1; 09-19-2017 at 12:26 AM.
desmophile (09-19-2017)
Old 09-19-2017, 01:07 AM
red62vette
Pro

Received 220 Likes on 152 Posts

I searched this car, and the numbers are impressive. 0-60 in 3.5s, 1/4 mi in 11.9s, according to Motor Trend. Exceptional for a sedan, but it's no Z06. And it would be far further behind on a track.
desmophile (09-19-2017)
Old 09-19-2017, 01:37 AM
z06inVB
Race Director

Received 1,107 Likes on 521 Posts

I had a C5 Z06 for 170k fun miles. Currently have a base C6 with 75k miles. Both are great cars. Probably going to get a base C7 soon. Honestly love the Z06 but I won't track it and in the street it will just get me in trouble. I know squat about the German stuff. Never even considered one.

All that said I bought a neighbors low mile 91 Miata for 3k and taking that thing out on local back roads I have a blast with it. That thing is a sports car 👍
Old 09-20-2017, 03:30 PM
quick04Z06
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 600 Likes on 310 Posts

Originally Posted by thill444
When Motortrend first tested the Z06 the press car they received had been wrecked by Car And Driver at VIR, and was not propertly aligned. The Z06 took a beating from the MT staff as they claimed it was very unpredictable and tail happy. GM fixed it and MT retested it:
http://www.motortrend.com/cars/chevr...-track-retest/

Randy Pobst found that Z06 to be very well balanced and no longer scary.
Exactly what I said--it was an alignment problem.

If you have been spending time in the C7Z and track sections, you will know that the Z06's supposed tail happiness (scariness) is simply an alignment problem. Use the correct alignment and that problem goes away, on a Z51, GS or Z06.

I am going to link to the thread: https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...ar-caster.html
And, the guys at DSC think GM's factory specs on rear caster, I believe it is, can be improved for much better stability and overall handling. That is the Forum thread link I posted above.

Last edited by quick04Z06; 09-20-2017 at 03:35 PM.
Old 10-23-2017, 04:00 PM
BIG Dave
Le Mans Master

Received 4,683 Likes on 1,862 Posts

Several years ago (around 2010), I was contemplating jumping ship and trading in my C6 Corvette for a Cayman. I drove to the local Porsche dealer, entered, and was immediately greeted by a salesman who started throwing insults at my Corvettes, and going on about the superiority of "German Craftsmanship". The other salesmen there also joined in and started throwing out insults. I was so turned off by their attitude, that I walked out, and we never even talked numbers. Four years later I purchased a C7, and never regretted staying with Corvette.

Not saying all Porsche dealers are like that, and not saying either car is superior, just sharing an experience I had.
Old 10-23-2017, 05:06 PM
LT1 Z51
Corvette Enthusiast
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 921 Likes on 614 Posts

If you look at the total package of power, chassis, creature comforts, and technology you'd be hard pressed (and I'd argue impossible) to find a car that does all that the Corvette does for the same price (at any given trim level of a Corvette).

Sure there are some tradeoffs, when you get to the higher end, you can't get some options that you can on other cars, but for the most part those things aren't that important.
Old 10-23-2017, 05:27 PM
Bvvet
Instructor

Received 45 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by baege
Ok I'll bite.
Having owned a C7 for three weeks, the C7 is NOT the best sports car under 80k in my book.
I went from a 981 cayman S to the C7 then back to a 981 Cayman S.
The new cayman cost me about 15k more than the C7, it will depreciate faster, has higher insurance, and the service will cost more. I reckon it will cost me about $500 a month more than the C7.
So why would I do it?
Because, simply put, the 981CS brought me more driving enjoyment than the C7 did.
The C7 wins in the rockstar looks and power department, the 981CS can't compare in those areas.
But in a lot of other finer points of the driving experience, sound, precision, responsiveness, feeling connected to the road and the vehicle, the ability to capture your consciousness, the 981 exceeds the C7.
For me, those things mattered more than the power and rockstar looks of the C7. I look forward to driving the 981 much more than I did the C7. How much is that worth?
I guess it's worth a bit to me since I made the move.

But as always YMMV.
I totally agree’ owned 6 Vets , 4 Porsche’s ‘ love the Corvette muscle and looks’ love the driving experience and precision of a Porsche
To each his own, two great Marques
Old 10-23-2017, 06:48 PM
Jay_Davis
Drifting

Received 90 Likes on 73 Posts

My C7 is my 4th Corvette. Given what a disaster it has been and GM's attitude that it could care less about its customers, I just got a 911 and a lawyer. Sometimes a "bargain" has a price that's way too high.

Quick Reply: Is the C7 the best Sports Car under $80K