Sponsored by:

Side Skirt-What To Buy

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2015, 08:14 PM
C8Jake
Race Director

Received 5,415 Likes on 2,535 Posts

Originally Posted by Dicecal
Nice, what is the cost of the Caravaggio side skirts & front splitter?
$$$$...about the same as a loaded Caravaggio steering wheel
Old 08-29-2015, 08:33 PM
Z06 1of38
Drifting

Received 677 Likes on 333 Posts

Originally Posted by C7Jake
$$$$...about the same as a loaded Caravaggio steering wheel
Yep. Got one of them too!

Old 08-29-2015, 11:54 PM
MikeinAZ
Burning Brakes

Received 411 Likes on 251 Posts

RPI skirts painted CF and a GM poverty splitter up front. Well under $1000. for all of it. Actually about $1000. when you add in the Z06 grille. I put all of it on in an afternoon, the skirts install in about 10 minutes per side and I didn't technically 'drill' any holes. The screws are self tapping so I just screwed them into the marks provided on the skirts. It goes into fiberglass so I was not worried at all about adding a few holes underneath. Not sure the concern some have about adding holes but if its rust or something along those lines its all fiberglass so nothing is rusting under there. Very happy w/ these mods and they REALLY change the look of the car for the better, imo.
Old 08-30-2015, 08:28 AM
bodak1
Instructor

Received 116 Likes on 39 Posts

I ordered the "Turismo" side skirts from C7 Carbon, in carbon fiber. They shipped the same day. $699 plus shipping. Can't wait to get them installed.
Old 08-30-2015, 09:32 AM
HD_Rider
Pro

Received 49 Likes on 25 Posts

My only concern about drilling holes has nothing to do with appearance.

My understanding is that Z51 cars (maybe all Stingrays?) have cooling lines that run along the frame inside the rocker. It could make for a very bad day, and very expensive repair, if one was to accidently drill into those cooling lines.
Old 08-30-2015, 11:02 AM
Streetrod782
Burning Brakes

Received 187 Likes on 122 Posts
Default Side Skirt-What To Buy

I have the C7 GTX skirts coming soon and I guess it's my understanding that you're only drilling into the fiberglass rocker and not actually the metal frame right? So you use the two end bolts and then just use the holes in the skirts and drill through the first layer of fiberglass?
Old 08-30-2015, 11:10 AM
nmvettec7
Safety Car

Received 850 Likes on 493 Posts

Originally Posted by [B
Streetrod782[/B];1590378858]I have the C7 GTX skirts coming soon and I guess it's my understanding that you're only drilling into the fiberglass rocker and not actually the metal frame right? So you use the two end bolts and then just use the holes in the skirts and drill through the first layer of fiberglass?
Streetrod782:

When looking at the rocker panels, you will see 2 OEM GM washer screws in front of the rear tire.

From the point of the most forward washer scrww that you see, going forward, there is about 12" of aluminum frame. So from that washer screw, you don't want to drill any holes within that 12" area, otherwise you will be drilling into the frame. I found that out myself.

In fact I broke a drill bit drilling into that area and had to pull out the broken drill bit. Skip that first 12" and you will be fine, only drilling into the resin material of the rocker panels.
Old 08-30-2015, 11:28 AM
Streetrod782
Burning Brakes

See now that makes sense when you explain it like that. And I assume C7 will have detailed instructions with the skirts. I thought about having the dealer put them on when I pick up the car but I'd rather do it myself and learn.
Old 08-30-2015, 11:47 AM
nmvettec7
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Streetrod782
See now that makes sense when you explain it like that. And I assume C7 will have detailed instructions with the skirts. I thought about having the dealer put them on when I pick up the car but I'd rather do it myself and learn.
Instructions do not show the 12" of aluminum framing. In this case, it is only experience from C7 owners like myself that learned quickly there is a section of aluminum framing you want to avoid.

I agree on the DIY install. It is quite easy, helps you learn a little bit more about the C7 and you save some $$.

I am a big believer in trying to complete any task myself, before paying for someone for a project I can do myself. It's the best way to learn.

If I can't handle the project myself, I have no reservations in hiring someone to do the work.

You can do it.

I have modified an image of the C7Carbon side skirts to show the approximate location of where the aluminum frame would be. There is a pre-drilled hole in this area, but skip this hole from any drilling.

Hope this helps others.
Attached Images  
Old 08-30-2015, 11:50 AM
Streetrod782
Burning Brakes

That helps a lot!! Now debating whether to paint the poverty splitter the same carbon flash. I have all the materials and seems easy enough. But I went through two splitters on my SRT Challenger the first year I lowered it so might be a waste of time painting it.
Old 08-30-2015, 11:57 AM
nmvettec7
Safety Car

That helps a lot!! Now debating whether to paint the poverty splitter the same carbon flash. I have all the materials and seems easy enough. But I went through two splitters on my SRT Challenger the first year I lowered it so might be a waste of time painting it.
Streetrod782:

The "poverty splitter" which I have also is made of an ABS plastic material. The material is soft and plyable. If you decide to paint it, I suggest a light sanding and you will have to spray an "adhesion promoter" on the ABS plastic so that any primer or paint will bond to the splitter. The "adhesion promoter" is also considered a primer, but would suggest that you use a primer over the adhesion promoter.

The poverty splitter does have a texture to the ABS plastic. You can attempt to sand down the texture or paint the splitter with the textured molded finish.

I did not paint mine, I simply installed it straight out of the box.
Attached Images  
Old 08-30-2015, 11:59 AM
Streetrod782
Burning Brakes

I bought all the stuff from that company to paint it, primer, adhesion promoter paint and clear. Just not sure it's worth the effort. Although she will be a garage queen.
Old 08-30-2015, 01:51 PM
MikeinAZ
Burning Brakes

Received 411 Likes on 251 Posts

Originally Posted by nmvettec7
Streetrod782:

When looking at the rocker panels, you will see 2 OEM GM washer screws in front of the rear tire.

From the point of the most forward washer scrww that you see, going forward, there is about 12" of aluminum frame. So from that washer screw, you don't want to drill any holes within that 12" area, otherwise you will be drilling into the frame. I found that out myself.

In fact I broke a drill bit drilling into that area and had to pull out the broken drill bit. Skip that first 12" and you will be fine, only drilling into the resin material of the rocker panels.
Good tip here although I had not known about it when I installed my RPI skirts. Mine went on w/out issue and I did not drill any holes w/ a bit, just used the small self tapping screws and the predrilled holes in the skirts. The screws are small enough that they don't go in very far, glad I did not have an issue and not sure if maybe the RPI skirts have holes aligned in such a way to avoid issues? Again something to keep an eye out for regardless and they are super simple to put on.
Old 08-30-2015, 04:59 PM
hisvett
Melting Slicks

Received 384 Likes on 244 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14-'15

Originally Posted by nmvettec7
Instructions do not show the 12" of aluminum framing. In this case, it is only experience from C7 owners like myself that learned quickly there is a section of aluminum framing you want to avoid.
I went with C7 but did NOT drill any holes.....used 3M tape instead. No issues for the last 10K miles

Yes, I even have the C7 splitter under the Novistretch bra.
Old 08-31-2015, 12:09 AM
Rooster OG
Le Mans Master

Received 1,694 Likes on 1,240 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15

I bought all the stuff from that company to paint it, primer, adhesion promoter paint and clear. Just not sure it's worth the effort. Although she will be a garage queen.
It wasn't hard to do, I did it after never having painted a car part. Turns out, it's not that much different from painting anything else.

I wanted mine smooth, so it takes a bit of sanding. I wet sanded with 180 then 320 and 400. I missed a few spots, but it's so low on the car, I'm not bothered by it. I enjoyed it as a little DIY project, but I could see how some may not like it. I think it looks better painted and when it gets trashed, I can either touch it up, or learn a new process (or get a new one).
Old 08-31-2015, 07:04 AM
Streetrod782
Burning Brakes

Was one can of the carbon flash enough to do several coats? I have one can of each product. Hoping that's enough for a few coats.
Old 08-31-2015, 07:08 AM
managerman
Pro

Received 230 Likes on 106 Posts

Here is what I did to paint the Stage 1 splitter CF...

-M

Painting Stage 1 Splitter
Old 08-31-2015, 07:31 AM
Streetrod782
Burning Brakes

Man- great write up!! Do you feel it was necessary to go back and wet sand after the clear? It looks pretty good at that stage already.
Old 08-31-2015, 10:05 AM
Rooster OG
Le Mans Master

Received 1,694 Likes on 1,240 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15

Yes one can was enough. The wet sand after the clear was super quick and easy. The meguires really brought the shine out after that. I found it was a little rough after the clear too. It's up to you though, it didn't look bad after that step, and it is down next to the ground.

Quick Reply: Side Skirt-What To Buy