Sponsored by:

So I took the car into a local dealer today

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2015, 11:28 PM
BlueDevilZ51
Melting Slicks

Received 389 Likes on 271 Posts

Default So I took the car into a local dealer today

I took my car into a local dealer today for 3 things.
Mobil 1 oil change
Alignment
Windshield lamination defect

They agreed to cover the steering angle issue after I produced a cope of page 12 from the warrenty booklet.
They were aware that Mobil 1 was covered as well.
And they agreed to replace the shield under warranty.

So I arrive at the dealership at 430 and they said they are just finishing up the oil change. They said they will do the alignment when I bring the car back for the windshield replacement. I said that's fine np.
Being a little odc with the car I look it over before I go. I find a 1 1/2 crack under the car about 5 inches behind the lifting pucks. I bring it to the attention of one of the service managers and point it out. He then tells his boss, they say the tech has left for the day and they will get back to me soon on this issue. So I go home and find oil smeared and dripping down the passenger side fender. I check the oil level after the car is shut down for 10 mins and I'm at least a quart high. I put the car on ramps and oil is dripping from the plugs and filter. I usally do all the work on my cars and I wish I just did my own oil change this time. I mostly took it in for the alignment and windshield issues and those didn't even get fixed today.. I'm kinda discussed.
Attached Images       

Last edited by BlueDevilZ51; 08-27-2015 at 11:41 PM.
Old 08-27-2015, 11:31 PM
TEXHAWK0
Le Mans Master

Received 787 Likes on 539 Posts

Sounds like a routine trip to the dealer to me!

Looks like they did not even use the right size socket on the drain plugs judging by the way they are almost rounded off!

I would double check the filter to make sure they got it tight enough since there is oil on the bottom of it.

Last edited by TEXHAWK0; 08-28-2015 at 11:24 AM.
Old 08-28-2015, 12:31 AM
REDBULLIT
Instructor

Received 46 Likes on 23 Posts

Man I hate this crap!
Old 08-28-2015, 12:47 AM
owc6
Team Owner

Received 4,186 Likes on 2,679 Posts

Never, ever assume anyone who is going to jack your car up is not going to jack it up!

Get a set of jacking pucks, carry them in the car at all times, and give them to the service advisor, and/or put them onto the driver seat.

A set of leave-in pucks is also a good idea, if you want to not worry.
Old 08-28-2015, 01:13 AM
WelderGuy
Burning Brakes

Received 157 Likes on 98 Posts

Is that the first oil change? (In your recent thread about alignment, I think the car only had 1150 miles on it.) The head of the drain plug in my '00 Silverado looks better than that after at least fifteen oil changes, and it doesn't leak. It looks like they used a crescent without adjusting it properly.

That's truly pathetic service. I feel for you.
Old 08-28-2015, 01:18 AM
Maxie2U
Le Mans Master

Received 4,150 Likes on 2,249 Posts

Originally Posted by REDBULLIT
Man I hate this crap!

That is why anytime I am forced to take my cars to any dealer I try to remember to take HD pics of my ENTIRE car just outside the service center so they can see what I'm doing plus I have time stamped photos of the car should something to wrong so they can't claim it was there before I brought the car in.
Old 08-28-2015, 01:45 AM
Maxie2U
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by owc6
Never, ever assume anyone who is going to jack your car up is not going to jack it up!

Get a set of jacking pucks, carry them in the car at all times, and give them to the service advisor, and/or put them onto the driver seat.

Can you provide a link for the jacking pucks and from where to buy them? Looking for same for leave-in pucks. THANKS!
Old 08-28-2015, 01:46 AM
kevincol
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 109 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by BlueDevilZ51
Being a little odc with the car I look it over before I go. I find a 1 1/2 crack under the car about 5 inches behind the lifting pucks. I bring it to the attention of one of the service managers and point it out. He then tells his boss, they say the tech has left for the day and they will get back to me soon on this issue. So I go home and find oil smeared and dripping down the passenger side fender. I check the oil level after the car is shut down for 10 mins and I'm at least a quart high. I put the car on ramps and oil is dripping from the plugs and filter. I usally do all the work on my cars and I wish I just did my own oil change this time. I mostly took it in for the alignment and windshield issues and those didn't even get fixed today.. I'm kinda discussed.

I think being a little disgusted is an understatement! I have some choice words that I would be feeling at this moment if that was my car!
Old 08-28-2015, 04:57 AM
JoeD-C8
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 205 Likes on 140 Posts
St. Jude Donor '18-‘19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24

Wow....a rounded off drain plug. So either an adjustable wrench or wrong size. Appears as though the service techs might want to review their specs before they do simple service and then they overfill and damage your car.
Old 08-28-2015, 05:05 AM
vetehead
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

My god....this is still happening years later....When will these dealers learn....!!

This tech should be fired!..
Old 08-28-2015, 05:07 AM
BlueDevilZ51
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by owc6

Car has leave in pucks installed already.
Old 08-28-2015, 06:12 AM
Frodo
Melting Slicks

Received 586 Likes on 266 Posts

Originally Posted by vetehead
This tech should be fired!..
Heck, I'll bet the trained tech didn't do the work. The manager likely let a shop flunky do the oil changes. If the tech did this then you surely don't want to go back to that dealer.
Old 08-28-2015, 06:16 AM
bbcb
Burning Brakes

Received 86 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by bluedevilz51
i took my car into a local dealer today for 3 things.
Mobil 1 oil change
alignment
windshield lamination defect

they agreed to cover the steering angle issue after i produced a cope of page 12 from the warrenty booklet.
They were aware that mobil 1 was covered as well.
And they agreed to replace the shield under warranty.

So i arrive at the dealership at 430 and they said they are just finishing up the oil change. They said they will do the alignment when i bring the car back for the windshield replacement. I said that's fine np.
Being a little odc with the car i look it over before i go. I find a 1 1/2 crack under the car about 5 inches behind the lifting pucks. I bring it to the attention of one of the service managers and point it out. He then tells his boss, they say the tech has left for the day and they will get back to me soon on this issue. So i go home and find oil smeared and dripping down the passenger side fender. I check the oil level after the car is shut down for 10 mins and i'm at least a quart high. I put the car on ramps and oil is dripping from the plugs and filter. I usally do all the work on my cars and i wish i just did my own oil change this time. I mostly took it in for the alignment and windshield issues and those didn't even get fixed today.. I'm kinda discussed.
the tech and the service manager who gave the tech the work order should be fired....you were lucky the only changed the oil ! Notify gm !
Old 08-28-2015, 09:01 AM
rcooper
Safety Car

Received 676 Likes on 480 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15

I know that this service sucks. When I take my car in I walk around it with my service adviser, when the work is completed we walk around the car again. Every thing is noted both before and after the service is performed.This is something that everyone should do.
As for oil changes most dealers use lower paying employees to do this work. Most times they do OK as they are working on trucks, sedans and vans.
What happened to the OP is wrong and should be corrected by the dealer, if the OP does not want them to touch his car again he should ask for some " store credit" from their parts department.
I have found that keeping your service adviser advised as to what you want and expect works well. Also, treat him/her with respect and don't ever get mad, show your displeasure, yes, but doing it in a civil manner will keep everyone from over reacting.
I hope that your windshield repair goes smooth, and the same for the alignment, and I think that I would find another dealer to do any other warranty work. Even if you have to drive a bit out of the way.
There are several good dealerships around and many would more than likely want your business. Good luck.
Old 08-28-2015, 09:21 AM
sanantguy
Burning Brakes

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

That's painful. Thank you for reconfirming my first thoughts to do all the service I possibly can at home.

No one cares for your things like you do. Sad but true.
Old 08-28-2015, 09:24 AM
Peter_K
Instructor

Received 34 Likes on 24 Posts

If your oil was a quart high, I highly doubt Mobil 1 was used.
Old 08-28-2015, 11:03 AM
dwbaalmann
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

They must have moved the lift arms to avoid messing up your pucks. Sorry this happened to you and good luck getting it fixed.

Get notified of new replies

To So I took the car into a local dealer today

Old 08-28-2015, 12:15 PM
vetehead
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

..Just Great here I thought with us having leave in pucks the rocker panels were safe from this stupidity!
Old 08-28-2015, 12:19 PM
BlueDevilZ51
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by vetehead
..Just Great here I thought with us having leave in pucks the rocker panels were safe from this stupidity!
See you're local to me so you know this was Chevrolet in Bayshore. I'm going to give them a day or so to reply to the email and pics I sent them.

Last edited by BlueDevilZ51; 08-28-2015 at 05:38 PM.
Old 08-28-2015, 04:41 PM
Maxie2U
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by rcooper
I know that this service sucks. When I take my car in I walk around it with my service adviser, when the work is completed we walk around the car again. Every thing is noted both before and after the service is performed.This is something that everyone should do.
Great Idea! From now on in addition to the pics I will now walk the service manager around the car.

THANKS!

Last edited by Maxie2U; 08-29-2015 at 07:42 PM.

Quick Reply: So I took the car into a local dealer today