Sponsored by:

Bizarre malfunctioning temp gauge/readout

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2015, 02:13 PM
Newton06
Drifting

Received 319 Likes on 166 Posts

Default Bizarre malfunctioning temp gauge/readout

I have a 2015 & at ~4500 miles, the temp gauge went to zero while driving and the AC stopped working. The electric fan also went into a high speed mode & would not shutoff after powering off the vehicle, so I had to disconnect it. This caused a CEL.

I took it to the dealer & they couldn't find anything wrong. I asked them to replace the temperature sending unit, so they did. That seemed to fix the problem.

At 9000 miles, the same thing happened. This time I want into the performance display & confirmed the engine temp was also '0'.

I went to the dealer, replaced the temperature sending unit, but when I started the car, both gauges read '0'. I jiggled with connector and wiring connection to the wire harness, restarted the car & both gauges read the correct temp.

This morning on the way into work, I noticed the analog gauge showing '0' again. Turned on the AC; nada. But, the digital gauge read '165'??? How could that be unless they were taking readings from different sensors? Had to disconnect the fan again once I arrived at the office.

I ran an errand in the afternoon, and when I started the car, both gauges read zero, then sometime while driving, I glanced down and they both read the correct temp.

I sent the info to the dealer, but so far they haven't responded.

Kind of a PITA.

Anyone have thoughts/suggestions or experienced this before?

TIA.

Last edited by Newton06; 08-28-2015 at 02:18 PM.
Old 08-28-2015, 03:10 PM
6Speeder
Safety Car

Received 295 Likes on 217 Posts

Check for codes. Are you running a lower temp thermostat? They can (but not always) cause a P0128 code and show those symptoms.
Old 08-28-2015, 03:26 PM
Newton06
Drifting

Received 319 Likes on 166 Posts

Originally Posted by 6Speeder
Check for codes. Are you running a lower temp thermostat? They can (but not always) cause a P0128 code and show those symptoms.
Yes, I have a Lingenfelter 160 degree thermostat.

No OBDII codes.
Old 08-28-2015, 03:58 PM
sotirisf
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Funny, today at 9200 miles I had a display hiccup. I was changing my info display in the center display and suddenly all i had was an electronic speedo needle, all black, then all the warning lights came on, and display reset everything including hud settings.
All while driving at 25mph and not a single issue with engine management.
My first hiccup and its a 14 Z51 vin in the 7000's
Old 08-28-2015, 05:20 PM
6Speeder
Safety Car

Received 295 Likes on 217 Posts

Originally Posted by Newton06
Yes, I have a Lingenfelter 160 degree thermostat.

No OBDII codes.
That's probably why. The ECM expects the coolant temp to come up to temp within a certain time, when (if) it doesn't, these symptoms are it's way to show you have a bad thermostat.
Old 08-29-2015, 06:40 PM
bigfainer
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Digital gauge

Originally Posted by Newton06
I have a 2015 & at ~4500 miles, the temp gauge went to zero while driving and the AC stopped working. The electric fan also went into a high speed mode & would not shutoff after powering off the vehicle, so I had to disconnect it. This caused a CEL.

I took it to the dealer & they couldn't find anything wrong. I asked them to replace the temperature sending unit, so they did. That seemed to fix the problem.

At 9000 miles, the same thing happened. This time I want into the performance display & confirmed the engine temp was also '0'.

I went to the dealer, replaced the temperature sending unit, but when I started the car, both gauges read '0'. I jiggled with connector and wiring connection to the wire harness, restarted the car & both gauges read the correct temp.

This morning on the way into work, I noticed the analog gauge showing '0' again. Turned on the AC; nada. But, the digital gauge read '165'??? How could that be unless they were taking readings from different sensors? Had to disconnect the fan again once I arrived at the office.

I ran an errand in the afternoon, and when I started the car, both gauges read zero, then sometime while driving, I glanced down and they both read the correct temp.

I sent the info to the dealer, but so far they haven't responded.

Kind of a PITA.

Anyone have thoughts/suggestions or experienced this before?

TIA.
How do you get the digital gauges to appear like this picture?
All I get is analog and I went to performance, settings, pocket gauges etc
Another thing, my red line shifted when I reached 500 miles to about 6500 from 4000 but it appears yours is lower at 9000 miles and your also has yellow and orange lines
Old 08-29-2015, 08:48 PM
TNSQUIRE
Drifting

Received 336 Likes on 238 Posts

The redline changes as the car warms up. That gauge set up is Tour Mode but you can link it to drive mode and it will show up in every mode. That is my preferred set up.
Old 08-29-2015, 09:37 PM
C7Z51_2014
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by bigfainer
Another thing, my red line shifted when I reached 500 miles to about 6500 from 4000 but it appears yours is lower at 9000 miles and your also has yellow and orange lines
I had this once. Turned out, I was just low on fluid.
Old 08-29-2015, 09:51 PM
bigfainer
Advanced

Originally Posted by TNSQUIRE
The redline changes as the car warms up. That gauge set up is Tour Mode but you can link it to drive mode and it will show up in every mode. That is my preferred set up.
Thanks
I linked it to drive mode.
Old 08-30-2015, 12:38 AM
mpuzach
Race Director

Received 1,190 Likes on 594 Posts

Originally Posted by bigfainer
This display has nothing to do with pocket gauges. (Pocket gauges are the two small gauges on either side of the tach when the center gauge display is in Sport" mode.")

The arrangement that you asked about is available when the gauge cluster is in "Touring" mode. When in "Touring" mode, push the left arrow button and select "Performance". Then scroll up or down until the digital speedometer is in the center; the other info will be displayed to the right.
Old 08-30-2015, 10:07 AM
bigfainer
Advanced

Originally Posted by mpuzach
This display has nothing to do with pocket gauges. (Pocket gauges are the two small gauges on either side of the tach when the center gauge display is in Sport" mode.")

The arrangement that you asked about is available when the gauge cluster is in "Touring" mode. When in "Touring" mode, push the left arrow button and select "Performance". Then scroll up or down until the digital speedometer is in the center; the other info will be displayed to the right.
Thanks
I now have the 3 DIC displays in each mode, sport, track and touring.
Old 08-31-2015, 02:09 PM
FKING1
Safety Car

Received 105 Likes on 78 Posts

The 160 thermostat is the problem.
Happened to me. Dealer Service Tech said unless you program the computer for the 160 you get this.
Replaced my original therm & problem gone.
In reality a 160 doesn't really do that much good in warm weather.

Get notified of new replies

To Bizarre malfunctioning temp gauge/readout

Quick Reply: Bizarre malfunctioning temp gauge/readout