Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Just how much better is the Z06?

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2015, 09:54 PM
Pro

Received 222 Likes on 113 Posts

Originally Posted by themonk
the difference between a 1LT and a 1LZ is a lot more than 20k for starters. Second, for less than the difference in price between the two you can mod a 1LT and make it faster in the 1/4 and the track. So IMO the answer to OP's question is not too much as far a price/performance.
Yes but mods cost money, take time, create headaches, and kill resale. A Z06 is a fully warranteed supercar that should have a nice residual value.

That having been said, I don't think one is "better" than the other. They are different cars, and different value propositions. They are both great cars. Decisions decisions......
Old 08-31-2015, 10:56 AM
Jimbob26
Burning Brakes

Received 81 Likes on 64 Posts

Like others on this thread have said, I cannot possibly use the car to its abilities now, and even stomping on the gas pedal with 460 hp will run me right into another guy's bumper or worse yet a tree. I like to drive briskly, but the Z51 with Mag Ride and 7M is plenty sporty for me. If my car got wrecked, I might jump to a Z06, but otherwise cannot justify the additional cost, plus the increased hit on license fees, insurance and gas - especially when I'd likely drive the Z06 exactly like I drive my Z51. I really do like the lowered widebody look of the Z06, but another concern is my driveway, and the clearance in a Z06, as I already have to negotiate it sideways in my car and the Z is lower still.
Old 08-31-2015, 11:00 AM
arcticblast
Le Mans Master

Received 240 Likes on 135 Posts
Cruise-In VI Veteran
Cruise-In VII Veteran

Originally Posted by robertbruce
I had a 2014 StingRay. I moved up to a 2015 Z06. It was worth it to me.
Same here. I went from a 2014 Premiere Coupe to a 2015 Z06. Completely different animal, and well worth it.
Old 08-31-2015, 11:18 AM
capecodvette
Drifting

Received 180 Likes on 150 Posts

Originally Posted by kevincol
I should add that it is more than $20k. No deals on Z's, just MSRP. If there was supplier discount on a Z, I would have upgraded. So, for me it was a 30k delta. I have an allergic reaction to MSRP. It's just me though.
Actually, there are dealers offering discounts on Z06s.
Old 08-31-2015, 12:10 PM
LATrafficJam
Instructor

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Ernest_T
I don't know why, but this observation cracks me up.
I just didn't want to overstate the performance. It is not a top fuel dragster in terms of acceleration, and it is not an F1 car on a closed circuit course.

For those of us who love speed, as I do, I tried to couch in terms that were meaningful.

Having said this, I've had it now three weekends, and the 500 mile break in was completed, religiously to requirements, a week ago. Oil change completed at 475 miles. They hit the oil level exactly in the middle of the dip stick measuring lines, and a good service department staff.

Over this past weekend, I took it out very early Saturday and Sunday mornings on a few freeways here in Southern California, and on a few bypass routes over a mountain range.

I have only owned a custom ordered 2008 Z06 and now a custom ordered 2016 Z06, so I cannot compare the performance to a base or Z51 model Corvette.

I can compare it to my 2013 CTS-V and my 2016 Jaguar F-Type S Coupe, but neither of these cars comes close to the performance of the 2016 Z06, since I've been able to accurately compare them now that my 500-mile break in is complete. The quality of build is no less than the Cadillac or Jaguar. Chevrolet hit a home run with this Z06.

Here are the facts as I've experienced them from this past weekend:

Triple Black 2016 Z06 Convertible M7, with Z07 package (and other options).

This car has never, and will never see "ECO" mode. In a Corvette, "ECO" mode? I do not understand this. I feel entirely for anyone who got an A8, only to discover that to permanently turn off "ECO" mode (short of a tune) is that you must run it at all times in MANUAL mode.

I run my car permanently in SPORT mode with exhaust constantly in TRACK mode.

In three weeks ownership, I have never had so many people get in my blind spot to look at it, or stop at a light and yell compliments, or while driving give thumbs up, or at a gas station walk over to talk about it. Now three times cops have turned around to follow me or pull alongside and give ME a thumbs up!

Exceptional acceleration from a standing start, or while rolling from any speed (so long as you get the gear selection in the M7 to match the torque curve), no one has been able to remotely keep up. I can't yet tell if they stop trying right away, or if they just can't keep up, but in short order, every car seems like miles behind me.

This will march up any hill, and pulls hard. Again, cars will appear miles behind you within seconds.

Exhaust sound from stock system is phenomenal. No need for aftermarket, which I was considering. Not even remotely required.

I had no power degradation issues as the days warmed up, at least none I could notice. Temps of oil and for water ran no higher than 220 at their highest, and closer to 190 and 200 when cruising.

Pilot sport cup 2 tires offer exceptional grip when warmed up.

Tried running in TRACK mode to feel the ride, and it feels actually very compliant. Steering is heavier, which to me is great for road feel, and no harsher than the CTS-V in SPORT mode.

I don't think I'd like anything with less horsepower. The Jaguar F-Type seems sluggish with 380 horsepower, but it does look good in British Racing Green.

Chevrolet hit a home run. You will not be disappointed with a Z06.
Old 08-31-2015, 03:02 PM
AUTO_X_AL
Drifting

Received 62 Likes on 52 Posts

Lets also address that a 2LT Z51 is much closer to a 1LZ in equipment than a base 1LT. Bear that in mind when you compare the two. HUD being standard is a big reason that I could do with a 1LZ over a 1LT.

Food for thought..
Old 08-31-2015, 04:59 PM
TennisFreak
Burning Brakes

Received 76 Likes on 52 Posts

I love my Z51.

BUT

If I could have afforded a Z06 I would have gotten one.

If I can afford a Z06 in the time I own my Z51, I will just supercharge it.
Old 08-31-2015, 05:46 PM
kevincol
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 109 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by Jimbob26
but another concern is my driveway, and the clearance in a Z06, as I already have to negotiate it sideways in my car and the Z is lower still.
I actually wasn't aware that the Z06 was lower than the Z51. I have the same issue getting into my garage (i.e. negotiate sideways). That would definitely impact my decision. I would need to test it to see how bad the scraping would be.
Old 08-31-2015, 11:45 PM
AUTO_X_AL
Drifting

Received 62 Likes on 52 Posts

Default Just how much better is the Z06?

Originally Posted by kevincol
I actually wasn't aware that the Z06 was lower than the Z51. I have the same issue getting into my garage (i.e. negotiate sideways). That would definitely impact my decision. I would need to test it to see how bad the scraping would be.
The carbon aero is low but from what I've seen, stingrays tend to be a little lower than Z06's. I'm sure some of that is to accommodate a ton of aero that will be compressing the car at high speeds. Driving the Z06 didn't seem anymore difficult to me from a clearance stand point.

Quick Reply: Just how much better is the Z06?