Sponsored by:

Simple, cheap, elegant solution to temporary front plate on Z06 grille

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2015, 03:42 PM
Pisswilly
Melting Slicks

Received 834 Likes on 370 Posts

Default Simple, cheap, elegant solution to temporary front plate on Z06 grille

Two magnetic cell phone mounts that slide over the grill slats. Attachment plates are attached to plate with included double sided tape. I also plan to use it with my Novistretch bra. I am hoping the magnets are strong enough to place the plate right over the bra so it is exposed. When not needed, just pull the cell phone mounts off the grill. Cell phone mounts are $7 a piece off Amazon.

Last edited by Pisswilly; 08-31-2015 at 03:47 PM.
Old 08-31-2015, 05:06 PM
capecodvette
Drifting

Received 180 Likes on 150 Posts

Brillilant

Last edited by Steve Garrett; 09-03-2015 at 10:32 PM. Reason: No need to requote the OP, especially when you're the next person posting.
Old 08-31-2015, 05:11 PM
Rooster OG
Le Mans Master

Received 1,694 Likes on 1,240 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15

Do you think it will hold it on the Novistretch? I guess do a trial run and hope it doesn't fly off?
Old 08-31-2015, 05:19 PM
Pisswilly
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Rooster OG
Do you think it will hold it on the Novistretch? I guess do a trial run and hope it doesn't fly off?
The magnets are super strong, I'm gonna give it a try. If they don't, hopefully having it behind the Novistretch will satisfy the cops when using on a trip.
Old 08-31-2015, 05:42 PM
LATrafficJam
Instructor

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

OK, so why go through all this trouble playing "Twister" out of freaky front license plate devices and ruining the front look of a beautiful car by placing a front plate on it?

It also must degrade performance because it is blocking air intake to the radiator. That I'd be more concerned about.

A front plate is a requirement here in California, too, but I've never seen anyone with a nice ride ever place a front plate on their car.

Never had one on any of my sports cars, and don't know anyone who runs with one otherwise on their nice rides.

Are police so under-efficiently employed in your state(s) that they actually have time to pull you over for no front plate?

That's a sign of a bloated police force if I ever heard of one, and in no way a "safety" issue for not running a front plate.

I'd talk to my state elected officials about that.
Old 08-31-2015, 06:15 PM
funx600
Instructor

Received 32 Likes on 21 Posts
2017 C7 of the Year Finalist

Some jurisdictions are very serious when
it comes to vehicles having front plates:

http://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/...ensing-n396116
Old 08-31-2015, 06:21 PM
LATrafficJam
Instructor

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by funx600
Some jurisdictions are very serious about
vehicles not having front plates:

http://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/...ensing-n396116
I understand that you are saying some jurisdictions may be "serious" about missing front license plates, but my point is that if the police have so much time that they make purposeful stops for a missing front license plate, doesn't that imply that they have too many police, that they actually have time to stop so many people for missing front plates?

The fact that they take it "seriously" tells me that they are way overstaffed to have time to stop people for a missing plate.

California requires front plates. I think they are more efficiently employed pursuing real crimes, or at least they don't waste time on traffic stops for a missing front plate.

If they stopped me, it's a Corvette. I'd pay the (non-moving) violation, and still not put on a front plate. Cost of Corvette ownership and not wanting to jack up the look of the front end.

Eh, to each their own.

Last edited by LATrafficJam; 08-31-2015 at 06:24 PM.
Old 08-31-2015, 07:01 PM
05XLRtoC7_San Diego
Burning Brakes

Received 231 Likes on 146 Posts

Originally Posted by LATrafficJam
I understand that you are saying some jurisdictions may be "serious" about missing front license plates, but my point is that if the police have so much time that they make purposeful stops for a missing front license plate, doesn't that imply that they have too many police, that they actually have time to stop so many people for missing front plates?

The fact that they take it "seriously" tells me that they are way overstaffed to have time to stop people for a missing plate.

California requires front plates. I think they are more efficiently employed pursuing real crimes, or at least they don't waste time on traffic stops for a missing front plate.

If they stopped me, it's a Corvette. I'd pay the (non-moving) violation, and still not put on a front plate. Cost of Corvette ownership and not wanting to jack up the look of the front end.

Eh, to each their own.

Yeah, in San Diego - they are pretty relaxed with not having a front license plate.
The problem is when I go to Hollywood or Beverly Hills- they have 3rd party contractors that drive around looking to issue tickets for stupid stuff like not having a front tag, not curbing your wheels, being more than 18" from a curb, low tire tread, crack in your windscreen, expired registration, etc.
They write $35-75 tickets for EVERY silly thing possible, and obviously get a cut of the profits.
Old 08-31-2015, 07:11 PM
Pisswilly
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by LATrafficJam
OK, so why go through all this trouble playing "Twister" out of freaky front license plate devices and ruining the front look of a beautiful car by placing a front plate on it?

It also must degrade performance because it is blocking air intake to the radiator. That I'd be more concerned about.

A front plate is a requirement here in California, too, but I've never seen anyone with a nice ride ever place a front plate on their car.

Never had one on any of my sports cars, and don't know anyone who runs with one otherwise on their nice rides.

Are police so under-efficiently employed in your state(s) that they actually have time to pull you over for no front plate?

That's a sign of a bloated police force if I ever heard of one, and in no way a "safety" issue for not running a front plate.

I'd talk to my state elected officials about that.
First of all, I am only using the plate temporarily when I go on a trip, 2nd, coming back from a 3600 mile trip, I did get stopped by a trooper in Wisconsin in which I live and received a warning ticket, of which the fine is $150 if he chose to give me a ticket. I do not use a front plate in everyday driving. Also, I have a splitter installed on front and did not want to have clearance problems with aftermarket solutions that cost anywhere from $45 to $125. Thus my economical solution and no, it does not degrade performance.

Last edited by Pisswilly; 08-31-2015 at 07:30 PM.
Old 08-31-2015, 08:01 PM
Rooster OG
Le Mans Master

Received 1,694 Likes on 1,240 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15

I hope it works. If it does let us know, I like that solution!
Old 08-31-2015, 10:10 PM
dvilin
Team Owner

Received 7,922 Likes on 4,808 Posts

Very creative.
Old 08-31-2015, 11:02 PM
Vetteman Jack
Administrator

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: In a parallel universe. Currently own 2014 Stingray Coupe.
Received 19,282 Likes on 13,960 Posts
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
MO Events Coordinator
St. Jude Co-Organizer
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-
'20-'21-'22-'23-'24
NCM Sinkhole Donor
CI 5, 8 & 11 Veteran

Nice thinking outside the box. Hope it works well for you.
Old 09-01-2015, 10:35 AM
meyerweb
Safety Car

Received 483 Likes on 320 Posts

With the growing use of license plate readers, you can expect more states to require front plates, and those that already do to enforce the requirement more vigorously. You can agree or not, but police departments will tell you that these automated LPRs are allowing them to catch many people accused of, or even convicted of, crimes that they wouldn't be catching otherwise.

The killer of those two reporters in Virginia was found by a state police office with automated LPRs on her car. I don't know if it was the front or back (in general, State Police cars here are configured to read the rear plate of traffic going the same direction as the officer), but I've seen them set up so that they're reading the front plate of traffic in a turn lane, for example.

You can argue LEOs should be using their time on more important things. LEOs will tell you traffic enforcement is one of their jobs, and sometimes leads to solving those more important things.

And no, I don't like running a front plate, and I wish the cops around here would ignore it. But sooner or later you're going to get pulled over, and I'd rather spend my money on things other than easily avoided tickets.
Old 09-02-2015, 11:26 PM
Pisswilly
Melting Slicks

I purchased 2 more magnetic cell phone holders and now have one on each corner for a total of 4. I've road tested the plate up to 75 MPH and driven it on bumpy city streets and it hasn't budged. The best part about it is, easy on ,easy off.

Get notified of new replies

To Simple, cheap, elegant solution to temporary front plate on Z06 grille

Quick Reply: Simple, cheap, elegant solution to temporary front plate on Z06 grille