Sponsored by:

Protective paint coatings

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2015, 10:03 PM
farne230
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Default Protective paint coatings

Is there a clear protective coating you would recommend for a new corvette? If so who manufactures this product, cis it applied professionally or DIY, and how long will it last?
Old 08-31-2015, 10:18 PM
SevenTurns
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 24 Likes on 19 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13-'14-'15-'16

Xpel Ultimate seems to be the popular choice. A professional installer is critical, not really a DIY.
10 year warranty.
Old 08-31-2015, 10:24 PM
Scoobydoobydoo
Drifting

Received 311 Likes on 246 Posts

Originally Posted by SevenTurns
Xpel Ultimate seems to be the popular choice. A professional installer is critical, not really a DIY.
10 year warranty.
Old 09-01-2015, 01:52 AM
kevincol
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 109 Likes on 67 Posts

You need to determine if you want a film (Xpel) or a paint sealer (Opti-Coat Pro Plus). I would go look at cars that have a film and see if you can see it or not. To not see the lines you need to cover entire body parts, which can start to cost more.

My personal preference was to take potential for paint chips and just go with a paint sealer.

As others have suggested, I would go with a high quality detailer/professional installer.

If you do it DIY, there are threads with folks that have done the paint sealer route (i.e. NMCVette), but you need to be prepared to do a lot of work. NMVetteC7 seems to have a lot of time to do these types of projects and his results are spectacular.

Last edited by kevincol; 09-01-2015 at 12:51 PM.
Old 09-01-2015, 08:54 AM
Glen e
Race Director

Received 933 Likes on 488 Posts
Tech Contributor

Although coatings are "sealers" they are called coatings as they Lay Down a microscopic shield that is tougher than any paint sealant or wax ,however it will not stop rocks, so therefore if you're looking for rock protection you have to do a film. Some common coatings that are used by installers are opti coat pro, cquartz finest and in the DIY class, cquartzuk, pinnincle, blackfire, 22 PLE and Modesta.
Old 09-01-2015, 08:55 AM
jcthorne
Drifting

Received 425 Likes on 243 Posts

Originally Posted by SevenTurns
10 year warranty.
Me 2. Great product, great support.
Old 09-01-2015, 12:49 PM
nmvettec7
Safety Car

Received 850 Likes on 493 Posts

Originally Posted by kevincol
You need to determine if you want a film (Xpel) or a paint sealer (Opti-Coat Pro Plus). I would go look at cars that have a film and see if you can see it or not. To not see the lines you need to cover entire body parts, which can start to cost more.

My personal preference was to take potential for paint chips and just go with a paint sealer.

As others have suggested, I would go with a high quality detailer/professional installer.

If you do it DIY, there are threads with folks that have done the paint sealer route (i.e. NMCVette), but you need to be prepared to do a lot of work. NMCVette seems to have a lot of time to do these types of projects and his results are spectacular.
I am available to answer any questions about using a ceramic paint coating vs an exterior filmshield.

Lots of work but spectacular results.
Attached Images     
Old 09-01-2015, 12:55 PM
Streetrod782
Burning Brakes

Received 187 Likes on 122 Posts

NM have you used the Pinnacle? I will be applying a coating myself when she comes in and was leaning towards the Cquartz but looks like there is little room for error and seems a bit difficult to work with. The Pinnacle looks much easier to work with but probably won't last as long. I will be doing this as soon as I get the car home so I'll be doing the following:

IronX, wash, Nanoskin, polish then coating. Just trying to decide which one. Dealers want 1k.
Old 09-01-2015, 12:57 PM
2014C7
Pro

Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts

Just took my car straight to detailer for opticoat pro plus and 22ple on wheels and calipers.

Wash clay and machine polish first.

Can't wrap my mind around the expel for aome reason and it costs a lot to do it right.

Not sure if I made the right choice skipping the xpel.

But I like the paint without it.
Old 09-01-2015, 12:58 PM
2014C7
Pro

Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts

nm vette why did you skip the film?
Old 09-01-2015, 12:59 PM
kevincol
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Streetrod782

IronX, wash, Nanoskin, polish then coating. Just trying to decide which one. Dealers want 1k.
That is an utter rip off. I got my Opti-Coat Pro Plus for $600 from a local installer/detailer. I haven't been in town yet to get decent pictures of her and it has been raining the last two days...

Old 09-01-2015, 01:02 PM
Streetrod782
Burning Brakes

I agree that's why I'm doing it myself. I live in Chicago so maybe that's why. They wanted $1295 to do Modesto and $1900 for Xpel. I am not afraid of tackling the ceramic coatings myself just trying to decide best bang for the buck.
Old 09-01-2015, 01:03 PM
nmvettec7
Safety Car

Received 850 Likes on 493 Posts

NM have you used the Pinnacle? I will be applying a coating myself when she comes in and was leaning towards the Cquartz but looks like there is little room for error and seems a bit difficult to work with. The Pinnacle looks much easier to work with but probably won't last as long. I will be doing this as soon as I get the car home so I'll be doing the following:

Yes, what you see in my photos above are all Pinnacle Black Diamond products from autogeek.net.
Old 09-01-2015, 01:04 PM
Glen e
Race Director

Tech Contributor

Originally Posted by kevincol
That is an utter rip off. I got my Opti-Coat Pro Plus for $600 from a local installer/detailer. I haven't been in town yet to get decent pictures of her and it has been raining the last two days...

Easy there...you have no idea of the condition of the paint of his car. It is easy to see these jobs vary by 2-300 bucks due to the level of paint correction needed.
Old 09-01-2015, 01:06 PM
Streetrod782
Burning Brakes

Well consider my car is being built in two weeks I would say my paint will be perfect except for the mandatory orange peel :-)
Old 09-01-2015, 01:12 PM
kevincol
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Glen e
Easy there...you have no idea of the condition of the paint of his car. It is easy to see these jobs vary by 2-300 bucks due to the level of paint correction needed.
Yes, you are correct. His handle indicates he has a '14. The detailer I went to had two costs for paint prep. One was fpr cars > 4yrs. old and other for new model cars. They then did an inspection to see the condition of swirl marks, clear coat etching, etc.

My bad for assuming that a C7 owner would have not been taking care of their car, be on this forum and have swirl marks, bug guts that have etched into clear coat along with hard water marks from not using soft water and not being dried off appropriately. I guess I am so **** about my car that I couldn't imagine that ever being the case.

But assumptions are bad. So you have a point, but even with full paint prep on a >4yr from my detailer the cost would have gone up to $800. I have yet to come across a Chevy dealer that does this stuff in house, they have all farmed it out and then they want to take a mark-up for driving it to the detailer to do the actual work.
Old 09-01-2015, 01:15 PM
kevincol
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Well consider my car is being built in two weeks I would say my paint will be perfect except for the mandatory orange peel :-)
The detailer I went to says that isn't the case and they would have still done a full clay, polish and clay before applying the Opti-Coat Pro Plus. My car was three weeks old by the time I got it to them and they still did the above. I had a cheaper paint prep cost as I didn't have swirl marks or clear coat etching that they need to polish out.

Get notified of new replies

To Protective paint coatings

Old 09-01-2015, 01:24 PM
Rguy271
Pro

Received 106 Likes on 76 Posts

Started installing my invisiblemask Z06 kit this past week. Check out the pics.

I do have some "errors" in the install, like cuts in some sections where I had to get it around some tight curves and a bubble here and there, BUT, this isnt a Fing show car and something is better than nothing.

And Im the kind of guy who cant shell out 2-3k when Im capable of doing 80% of the quality myself.

rear wheel section

Roof line.

Hood and front quarter gap.
Old 09-01-2015, 01:28 PM
RonnieC6Z
Drifting

Received 768 Likes on 230 Posts

I will be taking delivery of a black convertible soon. I plan on having a clear film such as 3M (or if anyone can recommend something better here in the LA area) put on the front bumper and outside mirrors. However I would love a recommendation for a great product that I can use or have professionally applied that can protect the body from swirl marks. My cars never go to a car wash. I have used Rejex in the past, which provides good protection, but have not used it on a black car.
Old 09-01-2015, 01:40 PM
Glen e
Race Director

Tech Contributor

Any of the coatings will help with a black car. Opti coat pro and cquartz finest will be installed professionally. Look for a local AUTHORIZED installer via the mfr sites using toogle.

Seriously look at your paint...., if you think the job is absolutely perfect and want to lock in the surface right now, very little correction is needed a quik polish (real polish) job by hand and Then wipe on a coating… See YouTube for any of the manufactures application..

heres one:

Last edited by Glen e; 09-01-2015 at 02:04 PM.

Quick Reply: Protective paint coatings