Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I think I have an A/C problem. New C7

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2015, 07:47 AM
Frodo
Melting Slicks

Received 586 Likes on 266 Posts

There have been many reasons posed for why the AC doesn't get cold and why in vent mode the air is hot. One I haven't seen proposed is one of my own. Most cars vent in air from the bottom of the windshield, right? I'm assuming the Corvette is the same, you can see vent openings there. On our cars we have a hood vent that blows out hot air from the upper radiator area. This hot air travels back along the hood, possibly pressed down from above by air coming over the grill/hood, and right into the windshield vents. Another reason to use recirculate control. Inconsistencies in the system might be caused by cross winds, lack of forward movement, etc. that disturb the front to back flow. I'll be honest in saying this is simply a theory. I have no training in this area. But it seems to me to have some merit.
Old 09-03-2015, 09:46 AM
BOBSZ06
Le Mans Master

Received 319 Likes on 205 Posts

Originally Posted by Frodo
There have been many reasons posed for why the AC doesn't get cold and why in vent mode the air is hot. One I haven't seen proposed is one of my own. Most cars vent in air from the bottom of the windshield, right? I'm assuming the Corvette is the same, you can see vent openings there. On our cars we have a hood vent that blows out hot air from the upper radiator area. This hot air travels back along the hood, possibly pressed down from above by air coming over the grill/hood, and right into the windshield vents. Another reason to use recirculate control. Inconsistencies in the system might be caused by cross winds, lack of forward movement, etc. that disturb the front to back flow. I'll be honest in saying this is simply a theory. I have no training in this area. But it seems to me to have some merit.

Unfortunately, when I measured the air temps from my upper vents when in manual non-A/C mode, I found higher temps when not moving as compared to driving. In fact the faster I drove the temp from the vents was reduced.
The high temps is from heat radiated thru the firewall heating the vent ducts.
Old 09-03-2015, 12:51 PM
Frodo
Melting Slicks

Received 586 Likes on 266 Posts

Originally Posted by BOBSZ06
Unfortunately, when I measured the air temps from my upper vents when in manual non-A/C mode, I found higher temps when not moving as compared to driving. In fact the faster I drove the temp from the vents was reduced.
The high temps is from heat radiated thru the firewall heating the vent ducts.
I'm not questioning your results, but look at the air flow diagram provided by GM. http://www.chevrolet.com/corvette-stingray.html# Scroll down a little on the page and you'll see air flow diagrams in wire frame and composite body forms showing the hot air flowing out of the hood vent and right over the windshield vent area. I'd expect a fair amount of that heated air to come in the vent. What other air is there that can come in instead? As far as heated ductwork, yeah maybe, but did the C6 have this problem? According to several posters in this thread it appears not, so I'm guessing GM either did away with effective duct insulation on the C7 or another source of hot air is being introduced into the system. I'm just sayin.
Old 09-03-2015, 01:38 PM
ratman6161
Pro

Received 119 Likes on 57 Posts

Originally Posted by jamze132
I've noticed that the air coming from the vents gets a lot warmer when stopped in traffic. Also, the auto mode sucks since it blows full blast forever as the AC system isn't all that great IMO anyways.

In our Bimmer's, I can keep it on auto and it cools very quickly and maintains even throughout stop n go traffic.

Don't get me wrong, I love my Vette more than the M3 but the AC system is completely inferior. So is the back-up camera...lol
I keep thinking that those who are saying auto mode sucks or the the AC in general sucks might just have something wrong. I see you are in San Antonio so you are going to think a guy from Minnesota doesn't understand. But I lived in Del Rio for a year and San Antonio for two so I've got an idea. Also back in July my wife and I were in the Memphis TN when the temps were just shy of 100 F and very humid too. Mine worked fine.

As far a blowing full blast, yup mine did that when I started it up because I had specifically changed the setting to allow the fan to run full blast at start up. But it didn't do it "forever", just for a few minutes until things got cooled down a bit. Then, as usual the fan speed and noise decreased with the temperatures.
Old 09-03-2015, 02:13 PM
Nice Ride
Drifting

Received 155 Likes on 115 Posts

Default Remote start question?

2015 C7 3LT. On 5th Corvette but 1st with remote start feature. Trying to get use to it. You guys like it and use it much? Dealer said press the lock button on the fob twice then hold down start button until car starts. Car starts up fine that way but I think the Manual says just push the lock button once then the start button is enough. When using remote start AC and other systems come on in full mode so when I first get in the car I adjust AC back to normal. Is there a settings adjustment with auto start to have AC come on in mid range. I don't see much utility in it for me.
Old 09-03-2015, 02:20 PM
speedlink
Safety Car

Received 599 Likes on 373 Posts

Originally Posted by Nice Ride
2015 C7 3LT. On 5th Corvette but 1st with remote start feature. Trying to get use to it. You guys like it and use it much? Dealer said press the lock button on the fob twice then hold down start button until car starts. Car starts up fine that way but I think the Manual says just push the lock button once then the start button is enough. When using remote start AC and other systems come on in full mode so when I first get in the car I adjust AC back to normal. Is there a settings adjustment with auto start to have AC come on in mid range. I don't see much utility in it for me.
Please don't highjack the thread. This is off topic. You can ask your question, just start a new one.

Quick Reply: I think I have an A/C problem. New C7