Glass roof and C7 height

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2015, 09:13 PM
road_boy
Intermediate

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Glass roof and C7 height

Hello folks,

I'm next in line and waiting for the allocation from my dealer. I had a couple of questions... First off, I opted for the glass roof. We all love the beautiful sunny days, however what about on days that are super hot and humid where the sun is the last thing you need? On those super hot days, does the sunlight make the ride uncomfortable?

I'm also guessing that if the car is left outside for a long period of time, the interior could be affected as well (i.e. leather, high interior temperatures...) This is why i'm debating getting the opaque targa roof. What are your thoughts?

On a separate topic, is there a general rule of thumb on how much clearance is needed for speed bumps or inclines, to prevent any damage to the front end? Can we clear speed bumps approximately 4' in height heading straight at it? Or do you always need to take it at an angle? I understand common sense plays a big factor in preventing damage...Hearing it from guys/gals who have been driving the car for a some time would be beneficial.

Thanks!
Old 09-02-2015, 09:31 PM
HAD2HAV2
Melting Slicks

Received 292 Likes on 235 Posts

Order your coupe with the painted or exposed carbon fiber top. You can always buy a transparent roof later, I did. No experience with bad inclines yet. I have not lowered my car (there is a DIY procedure on this) and I don't plan too. Congrats on your order. We love pictures of new Vettes here.
Old 09-02-2015, 09:34 PM
bob guzzy
Safety Car

Received 41 Likes on 37 Posts

I never get a transparent roof simply because it is way too hot in the car with one.

I would just take the solid roof if you want a transparent roof you can buy one anytime they sell here in the 1500 range.

On the height, I'm happy to say the c7 is way better than any c5 or c6 that I have ever owned.

I think mostly its because the c7 is a little higher and there is no center air dam.
Old 09-02-2015, 09:37 PM
RicK T
Team Owner

Received 556 Likes on 452 Posts

The glass roof isn't glass......it's polycarbonate plastic.

For the really bad sunny days, you'd probably want to invest in an interior sun shade, most of which suction cup mount. They're actually nicer than they sound.

Here's a reference to read:

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...p-options.html

And here's a pic from inside so you can see the level of tint:

Old 09-02-2015, 09:50 PM
xp800
Drifting

Received 235 Likes on 151 Posts

I've had both. Bought my 2014 with the exposed CF roof and bought the transparent afterwards from another owner.

LOVED the transparent. The open feeling being in the car was night and day compared to the solid roof. Liked the way the ECF looked from the outside though; being in it was so much more cramped feeling though.

Yes, sunny days were warmer, but Michigan isn't extreme and the AC was plenty. Yes direct sun meant blowing the AC harder than with the solid roof, but I take the roof off a lot.

Ended up selling the solid roof since I never used it.

I bought my 2015 with the transparent roof rather than solid. Only thing I'd do is have the side spears/fangs painted since I like the roof lines better that way.
Old 09-02-2015, 09:52 PM
Gio's C7
Burning Brakes

Received 117 Likes on 86 Posts

I would recommend to get the color top, you can always buy the transparent top anytime
Old 09-02-2015, 09:56 PM
road_boy
Intermediate

Thanks everyone! Wow, first 10 min and I have received excellent input..

@xp800, what exactly are you referring too when you say paint the side fangs/spears?
Old 09-02-2015, 10:12 PM
Karlba
Racer

Received 49 Likes on 19 Posts

I thought the transparent roof might be a prob, not so, 100 miles north of Houston, 150 miles south east of Dallas and the roof doesn't generate heat, you get heat from the windshield like any car but sitting in the car you can put ur hand up to the inside of the roof and there is negligible heat transfer
Old 09-02-2015, 10:17 PM
xp800
Drifting

Originally Posted by road_boy
Thanks everyone! Wow, first 10 min and I have received excellent input..

@xp800, what exactly are you referring too when you say paint the side fangs/spears?
The base painted roof is a solid color. The exposed carbon fiber roof has the exposed weave in the center (which is essentially black) and body color painted sides; I call them fangs/spears.

For lighter colors, like white, red, yellow, blue, etc. I prefer he contrast of the black center and the side fangs as an accent that carries the c-pillar roof line forward. The transparent roof appears all black, and on my red car it disrupts this styling cue I like. So my only desire is to get the sides painted like the exposed CF roof.

My avatar actually shows the ECF roof before I got the transparent.

ECF fangs

Transparent

Last edited by xp800; 09-02-2015 at 10:24 PM. Reason: Pics
Old 09-02-2015, 10:18 PM
EcoBrick Bob
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 76 Likes on 63 Posts

I have the Lexan roof on my VY 15 with black interior. It is not as hot as I anticipated, considering the black interior. Have had both on other Vettes and like the openness of the see-through roof. C7 has a more snug interior than others and when I install my sun shade, interior seems confined. The solid tops also have less head room.

I am one of the people who has the edges done in yellow, as well as having VY "A" pillars.

Old 09-02-2015, 10:29 PM
xp800
Drifting

Originally Posted by EcoBrick Bob

I am one of the people who has the edges done in yellow, as well as having VY "A" pillars.
Cool. Paint or vinyl for the sides? And any issues with them (color match, evenness, peeling)? Cost? I'm really getting close to doing this, just want some info before I contact a paint shop.
Old 09-02-2015, 10:53 PM
Gio's C7
Burning Brakes

Received 117 Likes on 86 Posts

I forgot to mention that is fun to have both tops, you can always change the contrast of the car by just switching the top. Like I do!! 😎
Old 09-02-2015, 10:55 PM
road_boy
Intermediate

Originally Posted by EcoBrick Bob
I have the Lexan roof on my VY 15 with black interior. It is not as hot as I anticipated, considering the black interior. Have had both on other Vettes and like the openness of the see-through roof. C7 has a more snug interior than others and when I install my sun shade, interior seems confined. The solid tops also have less head room.

I'd definitely be interested in painting both A pillars and "fangs/spears" the body color. Did you opt for the additional parts painted from the factory or afterwards?
Old 09-02-2015, 11:25 PM
Bencher
Racer

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Hello folks,

I'm next in line and waiting for the allocation from my dealer. I had a couple of questions... First off, I opted for the glass roof. We all love the beautiful sunny days, however what about on days that are super hot and humid where the sun is the last thing you need? On those super hot days, does the sunlight make the ride uncomfortable?

I'm also guessing that if the car is left outside for a long period of time, the interior could be affected as well (i.e. leather, high interior temperatures...) This is why i'm debating getting the opaque targa roof. What are your thoughts?

On a separate topic, is there a general rule of thumb on how much clearance is needed for speed bumps or inclines, to prevent any damage to the front end? Can we clear speed bumps approximately 4' in height heading straight at it? Or do you always need to take it at an angle? I understand common sense plays a big factor in preventing damage...Hearing it from guys/gals who have been driving the car for a some time would be beneficial.

Thanks!
I'm down in Houston where it gets very hot during the summer. The transparent roof comes fairly heavily factory tinted. Very confortable even with hot days reaching 100 degrees.

I do agree with others that you should keep the stock painted carbon fiber roof and then buy a transparent roof from someone on this forum, they are selling for around $1500. If the painted carbon fiber roof is bought at a later time it will cost you $3k and up.
Old 09-02-2015, 11:27 PM
alamo1974
Drifting

Received 82 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by xp800
I've had both. Bought my 2014 with the exposed CF roof and bought the transparent afterwards from another owner.

LOVED the transparent. The open feeling being in the car was night and day compared to the solid roof. Liked the way the ECF looked from the outside though; being in it was so much more cramped feeling though.

Yes, sunny days were warmer, but Michigan isn't extreme and the AC was plenty. Yes direct sun meant blowing the AC harder than with the solid roof, but I take the roof off a lot.

Ended up selling the solid roof since I never used it.

I bought my 2015 with the transparent roof rather than solid. Only thing I'd do is have the side spears/fangs painted since I like the roof lines better that way.
I live in Texas and love the transparent roof. The A/C works great and would not use the painted roof. Had both on my C5 and never used the painted roof.
Old 09-03-2015, 12:15 AM
cuds33
Cruising

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'd definitely be interested in painting both A pillars and "fangs/spears" the body color. Did you opt for the additional parts painted from the factory or afterwards?
For me, I think the matching body color pillar and spear, is the nicest color combination I have seen so far. That is exactly what I will have done, when mine comes in. Thanks for the picture.
Old 09-03-2015, 01:30 AM
Maxie2U
Le Mans Master

Received 4,133 Likes on 2,237 Posts

I live in Oregon the more sun the better so a transparent roof is mandatory.

I awaiting delivery on my first Vette (10/5 TPW) so I'm interested to hear responses about speed bump clearance.

Get notified of new replies

To Glass roof and C7 height

Old 09-03-2015, 01:47 AM
Maxie2U
Le Mans Master

Received 4,133 Likes on 2,237 Posts

Originally Posted by xp800
For lighter colors, like white, red, yellow, blue, etc. I prefer he contrast of the black center and the side fangs as an accent that carries the c-pillar roof line forward. The transparent roof appears all black, and on my red car it disrupts this styling cue I like. So my only desire is to get the sides painted like the exposed CF roof.

Good thing we have choices because I think the all black look you get with the transport roof looks way better than painted side. Makes it look more "sporty" and cleaner. That said, if the body color continued down the A pillar like the yellow C7 in post#10 then I could go with the sides painted on a transport roof.

Then again, I think adding a rear spoiler destroys the beauty of the rear end's body lines/contour.

Last edited by Maxie2U; 09-03-2015 at 05:40 PM.
Old 09-03-2015, 12:10 PM
LT1 Z51
Corvette Enthusiast
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 917 Likes on 610 Posts

I enjoyed the Transparent Roof on my C6. Plus it makes getting a helmet on easier as there seems to be "more" clearance.
Old 09-03-2015, 12:57 PM
James Bertuca
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

I have a LT1 and I scrape every time backing out of my driveway, if I back out straight or on a angle it scrapes, and that is very slow, no scrapes pulling in, and yes backing out I have try to turn to the left and to the right on an angle, no luck. I'm talking about a 2015, I put more air in the front tires no luck with that either, driveway isn't steep just that storm sewer run, but that's part of the street, guys are lowering there cars I would like to raise mine. Hope that helps.

Quick Reply: Glass roof and C7 height