C7 General Discussion General C7 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is it time for GM to stop offering chrome wheels on Corvettes??

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2015, 03:18 AM
Maxie2U
Le Mans Master

Received 4,151 Likes on 2,249 Posts

Originally Posted by airforcex
They look great on classics, but I cringe everytime I see them after C3s. IMHO, dealers are part of the problem...no these aren't Ferrari, but it's 2015...
What problem are the dealers a part of? Delivering car consumers want? Chrome outsells all others...given the fact dealers are in business to make money by offering products consumers demand.
Old 09-04-2015, 07:17 AM
C7Joy
Race Director

Received 176 Likes on 157 Posts

Imams member of the "older crowd" and I ordered a car with black wheels because that was what I wanted.

However, I still like chrome and would not want to see the option disappear, it still looks great. I just wanted a change from the bling I had on my C6.
Old 09-04-2015, 07:30 AM
Casey VP26
Racer

Received 112 Likes on 82 Posts

Not only do I love the chrome wheels, I wish they would add more chrome on the car. OMHO.
Old 09-04-2015, 07:34 AM
CRABBYJ
Safety Car

Received 1,293 Likes on 722 Posts
Unmodified C8 of the Year 2021 Finalist
2018 C7 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by scottiekay
When the car has no other chrome on it and you have chrome wheels it looks out of place. It ties in with nothing.

GM keeps it because the older crowd digs it.
Now among the 'older crowd' I use to make fun of my father who loved wearing black soaks with shorts as here.

Today I laugh even more when my grandkids do the same.

Funny how trends tend to repeat themselves over the years. White wall tires on a new C7 Corvette anyone?
Old 09-04-2015, 07:42 AM
C8Jake
Race Director

Received 5,415 Likes on 2,535 Posts

Chrome wheel accessories below

Last edited by C8Jake; 09-04-2015 at 08:49 AM.
Old 09-04-2015, 07:57 AM
pickleseimer
Drifting

Received 321 Likes on 212 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23

Originally Posted by DaveFerrari458
What??? If you don't agree then make a valid argument as to why instead of nonsense replies!
OP, that response was about as valid an argument as your initial premise. The forum has come down to guys sniping at each other because of their choice of WHEELS. Who benefits from this? Seriously reconsidering my sponsorship.
Old 09-04-2015, 08:10 AM
MSG C5
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,681 Likes on 1,482 Posts
2022 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2021 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
Finalist 2020 C7 of the Year -- Modified
2020 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
C5 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019
2018 C5 of Year Finalist

If everyone liked the same thing, we would all be driving black Fords rights now.

Personally, I'm in the middle of the debate. I've never been into the bright chrome and the current black wheel trend reminds me of the winter snow wheels everyone used to put on their cars in the upper midwest during my childhood winters. Plus, from a trending perspective, now that black wheels are showing up on low cost Hyundai's, I think the trend has officially jumped the shark and now become a mainstay.

Again, it all depends on what you as the owner (and buyer $$$) think looks good. As mentioned, I personally fall in the middle and gravitate more towards the polished look as shown on my current C5 vert.

However in shopping for my new C7 Z06/Stingray, I think the black wheels look great on the brighter colors like yellow and red, however sort of look dull matched up with the darker colors like gray, dark red, and dark blue.

Since I'm leaning towards Longbeach Red, which is another dark color, I would like to match up a set of wheels in between chrome and black. Since I'm not crazy about any of the GM stock options, I'm leaning towards aftermarket and I think the Forgeline AR1s with the polished brushed finish may be the perfect fit for me. Plus, what better way to individualize your car than with a set of custom wheels?!

Another first world problem solved!

Old 09-04-2015, 08:11 AM
lggque
Instructor

Received 24 Likes on 1 Post

When I see chrome wheels on a C7......

Old 09-04-2015, 08:12 AM
Len44
Racer

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 121 Likes on 72 Posts

I know I am going to get some heat for this but every time I see a C7 with Chrome Wheels it just seems out of place. I mean does any other Sports Car come with this option?

I know GM makes a good profit on Chrome Wheels but I am sure they used to make good profit on fake Convertible tops on Cadillac's as well at the cost of hurting their long term reputation in which they are still trying to fix. GM is trying to attract younger buyers to the Corvette and they are succeeding for the most part but perhaps losing the Chrome Wheel option is another step in that direction. And if someone really wants them I am sure they will go to the aftermarket for them.
So, you do not like this look, so you think it'd should be eliminated as an option?

I have no idea why you somehow seem to believe you should be the arbiter of what options should be available when one is purchasing a Corvette. Suffice it to say, you should keep your day job, 'cause I doubt GM is going to come calling anytime soon to offer you a job determining what items ought to be offered.

Like most folks have posted, to each his own. One should have the option to equip their ride as they like, don't you think? I really do not need -- or want -- your assistance in deciding how I choose to option out my Corvette.
Old 09-04-2015, 08:18 AM
rcooper
Safety Car

Received 676 Likes on 480 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15

Originally Posted by proexpert
I did make a valid argument. You don't like chrome wheels, and you want GM to remove that option for Corvette. I'm just pointing out the similarities to history of your way of thinking. Maybe because I didn't use the famous guys name you are confused. Sorry.
Is it possible that some have forgotten , of perhaps did not learn in history, of whom you are referring to?
I find your analogy works, and reminds me of how much we have to be thankful for.
Old 09-04-2015, 08:23 AM
C7DriverOnt
Pro

Received 119 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by MSG C5
If everyone liked the same thing, we would all be driving black Fords rights now.

Personally, I'm in the middle of the debate. I've never been into the bright chrome and the current black wheel trend reminds me of the winter snow wheels everyone used to put on their cars in the upper midwest during my childhood winters. Plus, from a trending perspective, now that black wheels are showing up on low cost Hyundai's, I think the trend has officially jumped the shark and now become a mainstay.

Again, it all depends on what you as the owner (and buyer $$$) think looks good. As mentioned, I personally fall in the middle and gravitate more towards the polished look as shown on my current C5 vert.

However in shopping for my new C7 Z06/Stingray, I think the black wheels look great on the brighter colors like yellow and red, however sort of look dull matched up with the darker colors like gray, dark red, and dark blue.

Since I'm leaning towards Longbeach Red, which is another dark color, I would like to match up a set of wheels in between chrome and black. Since I'm not crazy about any of the GM stock options, I'm leaning towards aftermarket and I think the Forgeline AR1s with the polished brushed finish may be the perfect fit for me. Plus, what better way to individualize your car than with a set of custom wheels?!

Another first world problem solved!

Great wheel choices, the color of the car you choose for me is followed by the wheel choice. I don't have chromes on my C7 but there are certain colors that it looks great on. Other colors I like the black wheels on. Sorta like what color shoes do you where with your suit. Chrome will never go away, fact is give it a few years and it's probably due for a resurgence with the mainstream fashion folks. Always that way, remember Cragar mags, only 50 yrs ago now , chrome lives on.
Old 09-04-2015, 08:28 AM
fstfun2009
Advanced

Received 23 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Is it time for GM to stop offering chrome wheels on Corvettes??

This is just more of what our society has become.....I dont like it so you cant have it! Get a life dude.
Old 09-04-2015, 08:31 AM
dvilin
Team Owner

Received 7,922 Likes on 4,808 Posts

Originally Posted by Steve_R
You obviously don't like chrome wheels.

Chrome wheels have been popular for decades. They're not going away no matter how much you hate them.

I don't like black wheels but if there's a demand I don't care if GM offers them.
Old 09-04-2015, 08:37 AM
NYSZ06
Instructor

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

I mean there was demand for fake convertible tops on Cadillac's as well. They can offer Gold Chains as well to put around the rear view mirrors and there would be a small amount of people that will opt for that.....they could make round lights an option and some people will opt for that too....they could make pop up lights and option too..........Manufacturers that produce cars like the Corvette should be forward thinking and cutting edge, not hanging on to the past to appease a small minority of their buyers.
I couldn't agree more. I'm sorry, chrome wheels have got to go. The aim of the Corvette Team was to move to a European customer and bring the car more upscale. Try to find any higher end European sports car buyers that have chrome wheels anywhere ? I have talked to Harlan and Tadge about this and deep down they know it....but they have to let go. It's time to move on for God's sake! The reason why you see less chrome on the new c7 and Z06 is because you have more crossover buyers who hate chrome and frankly are embarrassed by it....as am I. Let's think about the future of the car and a broader market for the car so it's here for our kids and say goodbye to the chrome wheels and hawaiin shirts and give everyone's eyes a break
Old 09-04-2015, 08:41 AM
dvilin
Team Owner

Received 7,922 Likes on 4,808 Posts

Originally Posted by NYSZ06
I couldn't agree more. I'm sorry, chrome wheels have got to go. The aim of the Corvette Team was to move to a European customer and bring the car more upscale. Try to find any higher end European sports car buyers that have chrome wheels anywhere ? I have talked to Harlan and Tadge about this and deep down they know it....but they have to let go. It's time to move on for God's sake! The reason why you see less chrome on the new c7 and Z06 is because you have more crossover buyers who hate chrome and frankly are embarrassed by it....as am I. Let's think about the future of the car and a broader market for the car so it's here for our kids and say goodbye to the chrome wheels and hawaiin shirts and give everyone's eyes a break
Old 09-04-2015, 08:42 AM
alienranch
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 112 Likes on 69 Posts

Originally Posted by Steve_R
If there's a demand, and it's obvious there is, why should they quit offering them?
I don't personally care for them, but I'm glad the option is there for those that do.
Old 09-04-2015, 08:43 AM
fstfun2009
Advanced

YGBSM....I wave the Confederate flag and carry a gun...guess you dont like that either.....when people stop buying chrome wheels GM will stop offering them.....

Get notified of new replies

To Is it time for GM to stop offering chrome wheels on Corvettes??

Old 09-04-2015, 08:48 AM
7thgeneration
Burning Brakes

Received 80 Likes on 46 Posts

So Ferrari and Lambo etc. don't offer chrome wheels anymore? What does that have to do with Corvette besides NOTHING. My main objection to black wheels is they become invisible. The car looks BORING with them. All you see is these two black holes as the car goes by ! IF you walk any distance away from a car with black wheels you can't even tell what style the are. And black wheels have been around longer than anything else. So who is stuck in the past now with an OLD look?
Old 09-04-2015, 08:50 AM
NYSZ06
Instructor

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Thank you dave !

I know I am going to get some heat for this but every time I see a C7 with Chrome Wheels it just seems out of place. I mean does any other Sports Car come with this option?

I know GM makes a good profit on Chrome Wheels but I am sure they used to make good profit on fake Convertible tops on Cadillac's as well at the cost of hurting their long term reputation in which they are still trying to fix. GM is trying to attract younger buyers to the Corvette and they are succeeding for the most part but perhaps losing the Chrome Wheel option is another step in that direction. And if someone really wants them I am sure they will go to the aftermarket for them.
This is a topic that needs to be talked about over and over. You have a terrific new platform to grow the market for the Corvette but you have the doo wop crowd that won't let go and move on which turns OFF cross over buyers. I know because many of my friends are European sports car buyers who love the new vette and are horrified ....yes horrified by chrome wheels. I PRAY they go away sooner than later. So for the sake of moving on dont stop telling Harlan to end the chrome and out all of us under 60 out of our misery. Vive Le Hawaiin shirts and Members Only jackets !! The Carter Administration called they want their clothes back
Old 09-04-2015, 08:50 AM
fstfun2009
Advanced

YGBSM....I wave the Confederate flag and carry a gun...guess you dont like that either.....when people stop buying chrome wheels GM will stop offering them.....

Quick Reply: Is it time for GM to stop offering chrome wheels on Corvettes??