Sponsored by:

C7 seats cause pain

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2015, 10:18 PM
inttrepidd
2nd Gear

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default C7 seats cause pain

I'm sure I'm not the only one that is physically abused by the C7 bucket seats.
The horizontal half of the seat has vertical cushions on each side that runs along the driver's thighs. If I were as thin as a skeleton i might fit between these bucket seat cushions. However as I am a fairly normal person, these side cushions force my femur into an unnatural contact with my hip bone.
If I drive for a long time I will suffer a lot of femur-hip pain. I now have to use a separate seat cushion to lift me above the offending side cushions. This avoids the problem, but I should not be forced to play games with the car seat of a $75,000 car.

Looking for suggestions.
Are there any seats available that do not have these intrusive side cushions on the horizontal half of the car seat?
Has anyone else had this problem?
Are Corvette seat engineers aware of this serious problem and have they done anything about it?
Lance, in Long Beach
The following 2 users liked this post by inttrepidd:
SilverGhost (04-24-2018), Supercrewbear (06-22-2018)
Old 09-09-2015, 10:25 PM
gwalsh88
Burning Brakes

Received 803 Likes on 163 Posts

Strange...I think the seats are pretty good. I have over 32,000 on my C7 and pulled a couple of 24 hour banzi trips in the car and have not had any issues.

I hope you get some relief...
Old 09-09-2015, 10:41 PM
alamo1974
Drifting

Received 82 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by gwalsh88
Strange...I think the seats are pretty good. I have over 32,000 on my C7 and pulled a couple of 24 hour banzi trips in the car and have not had any issues.

They are pretty damn good seats. I've had C5,C6's and this is my first C7 - Best Yet
Old 09-09-2015, 10:42 PM
Robs 1988
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by inttrepidd
The horizontal half of the seat has vertical cushions on each side that runs along the driver's thighs. If I were as thin as a skeleton i might fit between these bucket seat cushions. However as I am a fairly normal person, these side cushions force my femur into an unnatural contact with my hip bone.
If I drive for a long time I will suffer a lot of femur-hip pain. I now have to use a separate seat cushion to lift me above the offending side cushions. This avoids the problem, but I should not be forced to play games with the car seat of a $75,000 car.

Looking for suggestions.
Are there any seats available that do not have these intrusive side cushions on the horizontal half of the car seat?
Are Corvette seat engineers aware of this serious problem and have they done anything about it?
Lance, in Long Beach

I just bought a black 2015 2lt last month after trading in my 2005 C6. I just turned 500 miles on the odometer yesterday. I find the seat bolster to be an annoyance. Presses right on the sciatic nerve of my left leg. I'm hoping the seat will loosen up some from use over time. I'm 6'2. I may have to try your pillow idea.
Old 09-10-2015, 12:40 AM
kevincol
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 109 Likes on 67 Posts

I have a 2016 with GT seats. My left butt would get sore from that bolster, which doesn't move in an out like the side ones. The reason was that I'm 6'5" and my leg was bent towards the door, thus causing it to be on top of that bolster. I resolved the problem by putting my seat all the way back and bringing the steering wheel out to have my wrists resting on the top of the steering wheel. That resolved the problem for me.
Old 09-10-2015, 12:46 AM
Thejoyofdriving
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Same here

This was one of my biggest issues when I rented a C7 for 24hrs before placing my order. I'm a slim guy, 6'3" 180lbs and the seat bottom seemed far too narrow. I took a lot of people for a ride any 9 times out of 10 people felt the same way including my tiny 5'4" girl friend. Strange how it doesn't bother some.
Old 09-10-2015, 01:28 AM
JerryU
E-Ray, 3LZ, ZER, LIFT
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 9,619 Likes on 6,625 Posts

Originally Posted by gwalsh88

I think my seats are great! In fact better then the wife's BWM X5 SUV top on the line interior that has an adjustable front bottom cushion that I move forward to provide support. In the BMW I was initially having problems getting the lumbar support were I was comfortable on a long trip. Now have the proper seat back angle etc and it's fine.
The Vette adjustments allow me to achieve exactly what I need. For a short time the wife had a Honda Accord with fixed lumbar support that was in such a bad spot for my back I could not drive for any length of time without a wedge cushion at the base. I noticed other similar Honda's were folks had a rolled up towel at the base of the back! I even wrote to Honda to see if they had a solution, never heard a word back. Traded it in after 1 1/2 years!
Everyone's body is different but in my case I fit in the C7 seats just fine. I drive with the back of the seat down, front up and in a more reclined, fairly straight arm position, perhaps that is one difference.
Old 09-10-2015, 02:48 AM
MikeC4C5C6...C7
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 199 Likes on 116 Posts

Looking for suggestions.

Lance, in Long Beach
Lance, there are some prior long posts on this subject. Do a search. Some guys have drilled the foam in the door side bolster to soften it.

I haven't bothered with that. But for long trips I use a small folded cotton towel to life my left leg slightly. It works.

Finally, in my two days driving Spring Mtn's Corvettes I don't remember a single time thinking about the seats. So, I think part of the solution is to drive spiritedly!

Best wishes,

Mike J
Old 09-10-2015, 07:09 AM
C7Joy
Race Director

Received 176 Likes on 157 Posts

I guess I am a lucky one. I find my seats form fitting and quite comfortable. My lower bolsters are not a problem, I run the side bolsters open and use minimal lumbar, a little rear tilt with the seat fully rearward. Thank goodness for the memory features!
Old 09-10-2015, 07:15 AM
dvilin
Team Owner

Received 7,922 Likes on 4,808 Posts

I think the seats are not only good looking but comfortable as well. No issues at all.
Old 09-10-2015, 07:52 AM
RUSTYNKL
Instructor

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

We, my wife & I, Did 16 hour days in our '01,no problem. In the '15 coupe after about 1 hour our upper thighs and butts hurt, real pain. I made two foam cushions covered in marine vinyl, helps a lot. I am 6-1 215 lbs. wife is normal size 5-8

Last edited by RUSTYNKL; 09-10-2015 at 01:00 PM.
Old 09-10-2015, 08:07 AM
bodak1
Instructor

Received 116 Likes on 39 Posts

Both me and my wife experience the pain from the horizontal side bolsters. For me, there are two points along each side that put pressure points on each leg. I have not wanted to drill the foam so the solution so far is to put towels or seat cushions on the seat, which helps, and to drive my ZR-1 more!
Old 09-10-2015, 08:31 AM
chefcg1
Melting Slicks

Received 560 Likes on 379 Posts
C7 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019

I had the same pain issue. Seat drilling was my answer. Very easy job, took about an hour for driver seat. Below is a link to a thread covering it.
https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...-c7-seats.html

On a side note, do you wear a cell phone holster on your right side? I do and I found that it hit the seat belt thus pushing me towards the door and away from the center console. I found removing my holster made a huge differance on my seating position and pretty much eliminated my leg being uncomfortable.
Old 09-10-2015, 08:37 AM
alienranch
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 112 Likes on 69 Posts

I've got the left bolster thigh issue as well. Support is great, but the left bolster rides under my thigh (5'10" 175 lbs). It's almost as if the seat isn't centered correctly as the left side is always the issue for those who complain - never the right. Front pocket wallet so nothing pushing my body to the left.
Old 09-10-2015, 09:37 AM
W88fixer
Melting Slicks

Received 72 Likes on 43 Posts

Sorry the OP is uncomfortable. Seats are fine for me and I think the majority. It is humanly impossible to build a seat that pleases everyone, even everyone who has no strange personal physiology yet some seem to feel it is a design flaw if the seats aren't a perfect fit for them. Don
Old 09-10-2015, 09:43 AM
1SG_Ret
Melting Slicks

Received 478 Likes on 283 Posts

My seats are quite comfortable (best of any corvette I've owned previously).

Unfortunately, anything designed for the masses goes for the average. So, while most won't have a problem, so folks do. You may well have to use a seat cushion or something else to eliminate the issue you are having.

Agreed, a shame when you spend big buck$ for a car, but unless each seat or other component is custom, these type issues are likely to occasionally occur.
Old 09-10-2015, 09:49 AM
Doc750
Drifting

Received 57 Likes on 32 Posts

the seats in the C6 were way more comfortable then the C7. It actually ruins the long distance driving experience for me to the point where if I know I'm going to be driving for a few hours, I'll take the Rover and leave the vette at home.

I should not have ot carry extra towels or pillows to make the seat tolerable. I had planned on keeping the C7 for awhile but the seat situation has me looking at other options already and I still have my temp tags on the vehicle.
The following users liked this post:
SilverGhost (04-24-2018)

Get notified of new replies

To C7 seats cause pain

Old 09-10-2015, 10:06 AM
Bob-G
Burning Brakes

Received 123 Likes on 80 Posts

Looking for suggestions.
Lance, in Long Beach
Which seats do you have? The standard seats or the Competition seats?
Old 09-10-2015, 10:14 AM
JoesC5
Team Owner

Received 1,699 Likes on 1,213 Posts

That's what happens when the 5% that track their cars(and another 20% that don't track their cars but jump on the bandwagon), constantly complained about how bad the C6 seats were and how they wouldn't hold you in the seat when pulling 1.3g's in a hairpin turn on a road course.

GM listened and you got seats that are not really comfortable for a lot of owners, especially those that like to do long road trips in their cars, driving upwards of 500-600 miles in a day. Hours on hours sitting in the seats for 9-10 days on end.

There are Corvette owners that put more miles on their car in one road trip than many do in a year, and comfort means a lot to them.

I've driven my C6 Z06(with it's terrible seats, LOL) on the fun roads like the Tail of the Dragon, etc, but 10 minutes on that short stretch of highway doesn't add up to hours on hours of driving across Kansas, where seat comfort does come into play.

GM should have kept a more comfortable seat for the C7 owners that occasionally pull 1g in the turns, but spend most of their seat time cruising at 70 MPH on a sometimes less than smooth highway, and then made the Competition seat for the 5%er's.

Doc750 posting is typical for a lot of owners, and it's a shame when you select another car to drive, when you have a Corvette in the garage. What happens is, in a few years, the Corvette gathers more and more dust sitting in the garage and the owner decides to sell it(and do not replace it with another Corvette)because it isn't being driven.

Last edited by JoesC5; 09-10-2015 at 10:26 AM.
Old 09-10-2015, 10:23 AM
aj98
Melting Slicks

Received 168 Likes on 137 Posts

if you keep your wallet in your back pocket, remove it, especially for long drives.

You'd be surprised how much of a difference it will make.
The following users liked this post:
probono (06-04-2018)

Quick Reply: C7 seats cause pain