St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-‘18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24

Originally Posted by Crushinator
Terrible advice.
Old 09-12-2015, 09:16 PM
dbdave
Le Mans Master

Received 191 Likes on 138 Posts

Originally Posted by Glen e
The dealer is part of a whole program that pays him hundreds of thousands a year If he hits certain stds, like his building having a nice reception area, their warrantyi index in line,and things like a CSI REQUIREMENT. Therefore the dealer incentivizes his people to get solid scores. Nothing but 100 usually pays the staffer. Some positions in the dealer can account for25 pct of their pay under this program.

Dealt with this for years as a general manger and fac rep....it's a miserable system
Thanks for that explanation.

Regarding the bolded part, a dealer can do all they want to incentivize his employees, but if they don't provide the means for the employees to be successful through training, work processes, etc., the workers are doomed to mediocrity and the customers suffer, along with the survey results. Sometimes it's hard for the management to understand there are many factors that will affect the survey responses that are being missed by their business practices. Some get it, some don't.
Old 09-12-2015, 11:28 PM
vettetwo
Pro

Received 150 Likes on 92 Posts

I sincerely sympathize with srobert910 and would not want the car I waited 9 months for to be as disappointing as he has experienced.

However, the thread has taken the discussion in a couple of directions. The title, Dealer won't service car because of a bad survey does not describe the majority of the discussion. Glen e has given a perspective coming from his career in the auto business. The events that have been experienced by the OP have been made worse by submitting the bad survey. He invested a lot of time and the dealer/GM invested a lot to attempt a fix for his original problem which now continues in a new direction. At this juncture in the repair, the bad survey has made the relationship with the dealer network quite contentious. Not only has the original service department been burned and reacted emotionally rather than using it as a learning as we all expect them to do, but actually burned all bridges with the OP. A good relationship with another dealer is likely to be strained as well because they will question why the follow-up work is not being tended to by the first dealer. When the new service manager contacts the first service manager to get more detail, they are likely to be gun-shy about surveys they may get.

If we want our pride and joy Corvettes to be serviced with care, we need to play the game and put aside any vindictive actions. It is quite evident the bad survey will not get the results we think it should and we are not going to influence a change.

When you find yourself in a hole, stop digging.
Old 09-13-2015, 03:13 AM
PGSJOE
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

What is the point of a survey if you cant fill it out honestly??
They dwell on this crap so they can get on tv with thier worthless JD Power awards for customer satisfaction to sell more cars but God forbid if you dare tell the truth about a bad service experience, if they want a good score do good work. We have to stop rewarding failure...just my $.02
Old 09-13-2015, 08:26 AM
Jud Chapin
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 417 Likes on 288 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-‘18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24

Originally Posted by PGSJOE
What is the point of a survey if you cant fill it out honestly??
They dwell on this crap so they can get on tv with thier worthless JD Power awards for customer satisfaction to sell more cars but God forbid if you dare tell the truth about a bad service experience, if they want a good score do good work. We have to stop rewarding failure...just my $.02
Great points...
Old 09-13-2015, 10:50 AM
Glen e
Race Director

Received 923 Likes on 482 Posts
Tech Contributor

Originally Posted by vettetwo
I sincerely sympathize with srobert910 and would not want the car I waited 9 months for to be as disappointing as he has experienced.

However, the thread has taken the discussion in a couple of directions. The title, Dealer won't service car because of a bad survey does not describe the majority of the discussion. Glen e has given a perspective coming from his career in the auto business. The events that have been experienced by the OP have been made worse by submitting the bad survey. He invested a lot of time and the dealer/GM invested a lot to attempt a fix for his original problem which now continues in a new direction. At this juncture in the repair, the bad survey has made the relationship with the dealer network quite contentious. Not only has the original service department been burned and reacted emotionally rather than using it as a learning as we all expect them to do, but actually burned all bridges with the OP. A good relationship with another dealer is likely to be strained as well because they will question why the follow-up work is not being tended to by the first dealer. When the new service manager contacts the first service manager to get more detail, they are likely to be gun-shy about surveys they may get.

If we want our pride and joy Corvettes to be serviced with care, we need to play the game and put aside any vindictive actions. It is quite evident the bad survey will not get the results we think it should and we are not going to influence a change.

When you find yourself in a hole, stop digging.
good advice ( and I agreed with your earlier post too)...YOU CAN DISCUSS HOW IT SHOULD BE...and then there is how it is...

1. a bad survey CAN hurt you more than the dealer
2. the situation is not gonna change, it's the industry
3. better to work it out with the dealer owner/gm/service manager than just burning them on a survey. you can still bitch, but talking to the GM in person works MUCH better.
4. my advice is if you hate the system (which I do) stop playing, just don't send it in.

Bottom line: if it make you feel good to burn a guy, go ahead, but realize you might looking at finding another dealer...Bad surveys kill a dealer, so make it work for you, by taking a meeting and threatening to give a bad one...see what happens...

Last edited by Glen e; 09-13-2015 at 11:07 AM.
Old 09-13-2015, 11:16 AM
383vett
Race Director

Received 1,541 Likes on 1,042 Posts

A number of threads mention contacting the attorney general, an attorney, the NHTSA to force a dealer who doesn't want to service a car to service it. Would you really want that to leave my our car with that dealer?
Old 09-13-2015, 12:01 PM
AUTO_X_AL
Drifting

Received 62 Likes on 52 Posts

Default Dealer won't service car because of a bad survey

Originally Posted by 383vett
A number of threads mention contacting the attorney general, an attorney, the NHTSA to force a dealer who doesn't want to service a car to service it. Would you really want that to leave my our car with that dealer?
I agree. Even if it were just to make you feel better, I'd rather spend the time and energy finding the next dealer/tech that'll service my car for years to come.

It's one of those situations where nothing is really going to change the game. ALL car manufacturers do this crap and it's really a poor gauge as every just tries to fame the system in search of an artificial "completely satisfied" index that they can advertise about. Conversely, if one person spurns the dealer and returns a survey with all 0's essentially, it'll kill them and make them gun shy from people.

You have to remember that you're not the only person and they have to balance 200 other people and make them happy too. You can't make 1 happy and burn 30 others because your car is more expensive. What about the person that can afford to have their car down for an extended period while yours is being fawned over for a noise?

What was done to you sucks in a horrible way. I'd find a new dealer win a few good Vette and performance techs that will take the time to make sure your ride is back to perfect. By no means am I siding with the dealer, I'm just trying to shed some perspective as a lot of dealers don't put much time and effort into staffing for corvettes in the way we would like. That's why finding an awesome dealer is such a find nowadays.

I wish you were closer to the Detroit area as there are a few excellent techs around here.
Old 09-13-2015, 12:14 PM
srobert910
Burning Brakes

Received 1,138 Likes on 466 Posts

Originally Posted by Glen e
good advice ( and I agreed with your earlier post too)...YOU CAN DISCUSS HOW IT SHOULD BE...and then there is how it is...

1. a bad survey CAN hurt you more than the dealer
2. the situation is not gonna change, it's the industry
3. better to work it out with the dealer owner/gm/service manager than just burning them on a survey. you can still bitch, but talking to the GM in person works MUCH better.
4. my advice is if you hate the system (which I do) stop playing, just don't send it in.

Bottom line: if it make you feel good to burn a guy, go ahead, but realize you might looking at finding another dealer...Bad surveys kill a dealer, so make it work for you, by taking a meeting and threatening to give a bad one...see what happens...
Unfortunately I had to give a bad survey AFTER talking to the service manager directly. I waited a couple of weeks before I even submitted the survey, thinking about if it was the right thing to do. In the end, my perspective is that they are already providing terrible service, GM and other customers deserve to know about it, and I don't want them working on my car (or making excuses not to work on it). It's a no win situation either way but I feel that I did the honest and right thing. The ball is in their court and I doubt they will do anything to fix these issues. In the least I hope that someone benefits from all of this.
Old 09-13-2015, 12:17 PM
Glen e
Race Director

Received 923 Likes on 482 Posts
Tech Contributor

Yes, you have said that, your service manager is just psychotic as I explained on the other board. The advice is still solid for others.

Last edited by Glen e; 09-13-2015 at 12:22 PM.
Old 09-13-2015, 12:42 PM
AUTO_X_AL
Drifting

Originally Posted by srobert910
Unfortunately I had to give a bad survey AFTER talking to the service manager directly. I waited a couple of weeks before I even submitted the survey, thinking about if it was the right thing to do. In the end, my perspective is that they are already providing terrible service, GM and other customers deserve to know about it, and I don't want them working on my car (or making excuses not to work on it). It's a no win situation either way but I feel that I did the honest and right thing. The ball is in their court and I doubt they will do anything to fix these issues. In the least I hope that someone benefits from all of this.
Customers never see these. A survey isn't posted anywhere like a review is.
Old 09-13-2015, 01:45 PM
harlold
Burning Brakes

Received 35 Likes on 23 Posts

The entire premise of the "if it isn't a 10 out of 10 it is a failure" is stupid bull **** on the manufactures part. Hell, when I did my own "performance evaluation" at my former jobs it was a stretch to give myself 5 of 5's - no one did.

They are unrealistic goals set by the manufacturers that incentivize dealers to pressure people to give 10/10 scores even if the dealer would have gotten 8's all around (which lets be fair isn't bad). But even if they got 10/10 on everything but one point, why would it be a complet failure if they got a 8/10 on one question?

But back to the thread starter. It is complete BS the dealer is shafting you after the survey. It sounds as if you gave them the opportunity to fix it and basically shrugged at it.

If you can't fill out the surveys truthfully, then what is the point? It basically invalidates all "trust"
Old 09-13-2015, 05:23 PM
AUTO_X_AL
Drifting

Originally Posted by harlold
The entire premise of the "if it isn't a 10 out of 10 it is a failure" is stupid bull **** on the manufactures part. Hell, when I did my own "performance evaluation" at my former jobs it was a stretch to give myself 5 of 5's - no one did.

They are unrealistic goals set by the manufacturers that incentivize dealers to pressure people to give 10/10 scores even if the dealer would have gotten 8's all around (which lets be fair isn't bad). But even if they got 10/10 on everything but one point, why would it be a complet failure if they got a 8/10 on one question?

But back to the thread starter. It is complete BS the dealer is shafting you after the survey. It sounds as if you gave them the opportunity to fix it and basically shrugged at it.

If you can't fill out the surveys truthfully, then what is the point? It basically invalidates all "trust"
I agree.

Yes, if it's not a 10, it's detrimental. It's very hard to recover from even one horrible survey.
Old 09-13-2015, 05:37 PM
coupeguyz51
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 107 Likes on 62 Posts

I don't bother to fill out surveys...takes too much time...if the dealer offered to pay me for it, I'd think about it, but then I would be honest and that would not make him happy....I call them like I see them...if he's a 10 on one topic and a 2 on another that's what I would put down....
Old 09-13-2015, 08:33 PM
vettetwo
Pro

Received 150 Likes on 92 Posts

At this point, it is what it is. Please keep us informed as you work with a different dealer and pursue the Lemon Law.

We have beat the survey situation to death and at this point I think we are all better served by hearing how you make out going forward.

The lesson learned in all of these opinions is that GM uses the survey as a report card that allows them to make objective decisions on how to pay out the money available for their franchise dealerships. The surveys are clearly not a means to improve customer relationships unless the dealer chooses to use the feedback as most customers expect and take a monetary hit once in a while...that of course is not human nature in most cases.

I wish you the best of luck and hope the next dealer you work with does not hold history against you so you can give him all excellent marks on the survey and enhance his paycheck.
Old 09-14-2015, 04:21 AM
Virtual Geezer
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 188 Likes on 111 Posts

Do I have this right??

I believe I read that General Motors sent an engineer (not a dealership employee) who drove your car for 60+ miles and found nothing wrong except the console leather issue.

So the engineer dismissed all your other complaints?

I think I read that you have 16 issues with your C7 -- 15 after the console leather is fixed. That's a pretty long list.
Old 09-14-2015, 04:21 AM
rkhegler
Team Owner

Received 350 Likes on 152 Posts

Title explains most of this issue.

I'll try to keep the story short.

Car has loud ticking noise @4200 miles. Metal found in oil. Dealer replaces engine. I give a good survey.

500 miles later, ticking is back but not as loud. Bring in for diagnosis and oil change just incase. Tech says everything is normal.

Week later, ticking is loud again, vibrations at 1500-2500 rpm and at certain speeds under load. Bring car in, they didn't even drive the car. I have proof. I give a bad survey with detail of why it's a bad survey.

File paperwork for lemon law- car goes in for final repair attempt. No repair attempt on anything, told most issues are from driving in Eco mode (which I rarely do) and I should be driving in touring mode. One issue they didn't fix, bad glue on armrest leather. Told me to take it to another dealer because I gave them a bad survey.

So what is the point of a survey? Basically I have to lie on a survey to get my car serviced? This is ridiculous.
Why would driving in Eco mode cause problems with the engine?

Get notified of new replies

To Dealer won't service car because of a bad survey

Old 09-14-2015, 06:42 AM
bbcb
Burning Brakes

Received 86 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by rmorin1249
My '16 C7 is the first American car I have purchased in 30 years. I love the car so far but am very concerned about long term ownership. I attended a car show last night at a small Chevy dealer about an hour away and was very encouraged that the owner drives a C7. We had a nice discussion about Corvettes and the expectations of their owners. He has 4 certified Corvette technicians and referred me to several very satisfied Corvette owners and some drive over 100 miles for service at his dealership. I think I have found my dealership for service. The dealership has been owned and operated by the same family for over 75 years. Current owner is 3rd generation. It is pathetic that GM allows so many dealers to continue selling their products only to have their customer's expectations dashed by poor dealer service.
up until taking delivery of my C7 ten days ago ..i had not owned any american named car since 1978 ...this is a big gamble on my part ..something i said i would never do again ..after getting screwed by GM in 1978 ...time will tell ..
Old 09-14-2015, 12:01 PM
TennisFreak
Burning Brakes

Received 76 Likes on 52 Posts

I am "THAT" customer.

If I get bad service, dealer gets a bad survey.

If this dealer refused service and told me flat out it was because of bad survey I would be on the phone with GM immediately to get this handled.

I would do this not to try and force this dealer to service my car but to make sure GM knows exactly what this dealer is doing.

GM should know this dealer is providing substandard service and then refusing to service anyone who calls them out on it.

I had this happen with a Toyota dealer once. I did not give them a bad review on my first poor service visit but on my second. I had already talked to them after the first poor service and it did not improve on my second.
I let them have it on survey. They had the nerve to get pissy with me and tell me I was costing them money.
Needless to say I just escalated the issue.
Toyota made them get their act together.

The dealer is not doing me a favor by servicing my vehicle. They are there to provide a service I pay for and GM pays for.
Old 09-17-2015, 11:16 PM
Chevy Cust Svc
Race Director

Received 677 Likes on 504 Posts

Title explains most of this issue.

I'll try to keep the story short.

Car has loud ticking noise @4200 miles. Metal found in oil. Dealer replaces engine. I give a good survey.

500 miles later, ticking is back but not as loud. Bring in for diagnosis and oil change just incase. Tech says everything is normal.

Week later, ticking is loud again, vibrations at 1500-2500 rpm and at certain speeds under load. Bring car in, they didn't even drive the car. I have proof. I give a bad survey with detail of why it's a bad survey.

File paperwork for lemon law- car goes in for final repair attempt. No repair attempt on anything, told most issues are from driving in Eco mode (which I rarely do) and I should be driving in touring mode. One issue they didn't fix, bad glue on armrest leather. Told me to take it to another dealer because I gave them a bad survey.

So what is the point of a survey? Basically I have to lie on a survey to get my car serviced? This is ridiculous.
Hello srobert910,

Sincerest apologies for the concerns you are experiencing with your Corvette. Additionally, I recognize your frustrations in attempting to resolve these concerns with your dealership. I have taken some time to read this thread and would definitely like to look into this further on our end. Please feel free to send us a private message with your full contact information, VIN, current mileage, and involved dealership if you would like us to do so.

Kindly,

Julie C
Chevrolet Customer Care
The following 4 users liked this post by Chevy Cust Svc:
skvette (10-01-2015), TennisFreak (09-18-2015), vettetwo (09-17-2015), Walt White Coupe (09-18-2015)

Quick Reply: Dealer won't service car because of a bad survey