Dealer won't service car because of a bad survey

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2015, 11:38 AM
srobert910
Burning Brakes

Received 1,138 Likes on 466 Posts

Default Dealer won't service car because of a bad survey

deleted

Last edited by srobert910; 09-07-2018 at 02:49 AM.
Old 09-11-2015, 11:43 AM
Glen e
Race Director

Received 933 Likes on 488 Posts
Tech Contributor

yup, no matter if you like it or not, that's the way it is. Yeah you can call GM and bitch, easier just to find another dealer. And discuss the survey with them BEFORE you submit it.
Old 09-11-2015, 11:45 AM
5thGear
Drifting

Received 199 Likes on 124 Posts

That's crazy. The manager should be reaching out to you to see what went wrong and try to fix it not refusing to service the car because of a bad survey!! You need to call GM and report this. Good luck!
Old 09-11-2015, 11:55 AM
AUTO_X_AL
Drifting

Received 62 Likes on 52 Posts

Default Dealer won't service car because of a bad survey

Originally Posted by AliZ51
That's crazy. The manager should be reaching out to you to see what went wrong and try to fix it not refusing to service the car because of a bad survey!! You need to call GM and report this. Good luck!
I don't disagree but GM has caused this. Gm uses the survey composite as a big factor in the dealers performance programs that have large monetary implications.

I hate that this stuff happens but I understand it from both sides, unfortunately.

Having a good dealer that will understand and work with you is the best thing possible but they all are so scared of the weight that the surveys hold from a money standpoint. It tends to make people very gun shy as the risk reward gets lopsided very quickly if your service index drops too low.
Old 09-11-2015, 12:03 PM
CETA 256
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 80 Likes on 50 Posts

Hate your having these issues with your car and the dealership. I hope there is no truth to the "driving it in eco mode to much" because that is what mine stays in the majority of the time.
The following users liked this post:
dc3843 (09-12-2015)
Old 09-11-2015, 12:44 PM
C7-Beast
Safety Car

Received 331 Likes on 201 Posts

That sucks that the dealer is doing that to you. They do reserve the right to refuse service but if they had done it right at first, it should never be an issue for the survey.

I guess I'm very lucky to have a great dealer. They ask when my car is returned if they performed at 100%. They ask me to call them if I find any issues. They never mention the survey.

My dealer has an amazing Corvette tech and are mod friendly, to a point. Obviously they can't help me if I blow up my motor as GM requires them to send ECM data before approving an engine swap/repair. My car is pretty heavily modified and quite noticibaly when you start it
Old 09-11-2015, 12:48 PM
Rakkasan
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Driving in eco mode? That doesn't even make sense. I do that all the time with no problems.
Old 09-11-2015, 12:49 PM
C8Jake
Race Director

Received 5,415 Likes on 2,535 Posts

I've never wasted my time on a survey.
Old 09-11-2015, 12:55 PM
sharpgt
Instructor

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

It is annoying that the manufacturers all share with the dealer the source of a bad survey. Equally annoying when the service department badgers you for a perfect survey "all 10's" sometimes before they even perform the repair.
It will never get fixed if we don't complain to the manufacturers so my advice is complain in writing and find another dealer.
Old 09-11-2015, 01:20 PM
W88fixer
Melting Slicks

Received 72 Likes on 43 Posts

Don't know what's the issue with the engines and sorry the OP is having the issue, he shouldn't have.

Any car is a significant item, the C7 certainly rates as a premium car. All cars at the manufacturer's dealer should be serviced properly, high end cars should get a bit more attention in my view. Don
Old 09-11-2015, 01:24 PM
sanantguy
Burning Brakes

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

F em. If they want a good survey, provide good service.

That being said, if a dealership provides crap service, why would you want to go back there anyhow?
The following 2 users liked this post by sanantguy:
Mike Mercury (09-11-2015), nmvettec7 (09-12-2015)
Old 09-11-2015, 01:27 PM
AeroJim
Pro

Received 82 Likes on 36 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09

Originally Posted by srobert910
Title explains most of this issue.

I'll try to keep the story short.

Car has loud ticking noise @4200 miles. Metal found in oil. Dealer replaces engine. I give a good survey.

500 miles later, ticking is back but not as loud. Bring in for diagnosis and oil change just incase. Tech says everything is normal.

Week later, ticking is loud again, vibrations at 1500-2500 rpm and at certain speeds under load. Bring car in, they didn't even drive the car. I have proof. I give a bad survey with detail of why it's a bad survey.

File paperwork for lemon law- car goes in for final repair attempt. No repair attempt on anything, told most issues are from driving in Eco mode (which I rarely do) and I should be driving in touring mode. One issue they didn't fix, bad glue on armrest leather. Told me to take it to another dealer because I gave them a bad survey.

So what is the point of a survey? Basically I have to lie on a survey to get my car serviced? This is ridiculous.

This is not just a GM issue. My DD is a Honda CRV and I was barred for "life" from Nardy Honda in NY because I gave them an honest but less than perfect survey..
Old 09-11-2015, 02:05 PM
Gary '09 C6
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 454 Likes on 399 Posts

Originally Posted by sanantguy
F em. If they want a good survey, provide good service.

That being said, if a dealership provides crap service, why would you want to go back there anyhow?

'nuff said.
Old 09-11-2015, 02:15 PM
Pro

Received 222 Likes on 113 Posts

this dealer clearly sucks and you don't want to go back there anyhow. If you've got a lemon law action in the works....I wonder if their refusal to service your car clinches it for you? Would be nice if you could get that in writing, but they can't be that dumb. But does an affidavit from you act as "good enough?" Not sure what each state requires for the lemon law to be properly invoked and enforced.
Old 09-11-2015, 02:16 PM
vettetwo
Pro

Received 150 Likes on 92 Posts

The best service will be from a dealer who you have given a good survey. That rewards them in their pocket and makes for a good customer/service relationship.

If you feel you must vent with a bad survey, do yourself a favor and after filling out the form, drop it in the trash rather than the mailbox. You will have a better relationship with the service department.

You felt good about the bad survey, but now you know your reward in the end...you are invited to not return. If you do not return, the service department will continue to be busy with customers who are not as demanding and will not be reprimanded in their paycheck.

Sometimes we must put our pride aside and play the game. You will be rewarded in the long run by a friendly greeting from the service manager and that is the time you can have a friendly conversation about expectations.

Friendly customers make for friendly dealers.
Old 09-11-2015, 02:19 PM
sanantguy
Burning Brakes

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by vettetwo
The best service will be from a dealer who you have given a good survey. That rewards them in their pocket and makes for a good customer/service relationship.

If you feel you must vent with a bad survey, do yourself a favor and after filling out the form, drop it in the trash rather than the mailbox. You will have a better relationship with the service department.

You felt good about the bad survey, but now you know your reward in the end...you are invited to not return. If you do not return, the service department will continue to be busy with customers who are not as demanding and will not be reprimanded in their paycheck.

Sometimes we must put our pride aside and play the game. You will be rewarded in the long run by a friendly greeting from the service manager and that is the time you can have a friendly conversation about expectations.

I, on the other hand, believe in telling the truth about my experiences. If it's great, say so. If it sucks, say so.

No one wins when you BS the survey, and the next guy thinks the place is great, and the service department thinks they are great.............but they really suck. YOU screwed the next customer. And whether or not the dealership likes it or not, you have helped them become better instead of blowing smoke up their butt..........when you tell the truth.
The following 2 users liked this post by sanantguy:
Boiler_81 (09-11-2015), nmvettec7 (09-12-2015)
Old 09-11-2015, 02:23 PM
JoesC5
Team Owner

Received 1,699 Likes on 1,213 Posts

Originally Posted by vettetwo

You have it completely backwards. The customer is ALWAYS right.

Enough of the "everyone gets a trophy" mentality.

If the dealer does a good job, he gets a blue ribbon. If he does a bad job, he doesn't.

Why should a dealer strive to do a good job, if he knows he's going to get a blue ribbon either way?

Last edited by JoesC5; 09-11-2015 at 02:27 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by JoesC5:
427bob (10-01-2015), Richie Carbone (10-01-2015)

Get notified of new replies

To Dealer won't service car because of a bad survey

Old 09-11-2015, 02:23 PM
Gary '09 C6
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 454 Likes on 399 Posts

I, on the other hand, believe in telling the truth about my experiences. If it's great, say so. If it sucks, say so.

No one wins when you BS the survey, and the next guy thinks the place is great, and the service department thinks they are great.............but they really suck. YOU screwed the next customer. And whether or not the dealership likes it or not, you have helped them become better instead of blowing smoke up their butt..........when you tell the truth.

totally. Joe's right as well. Competence stands on its own merits.
Old 09-11-2015, 02:29 PM
meyerweb
Safety Car

Received 483 Likes on 320 Posts

Those surveys should be confidential. GM should share only the satisfaction data, and nothing that allows the dealer to identify the customer. Of course, if you're the only C7 owner at a small dealer, that doesn't matter, but GM isn't helping the situation.
Old 09-11-2015, 02:44 PM
Pro

Received 222 Likes on 113 Posts

I agree with you on this. BUT, if I am gonna give a bad survey, I will assume that my bridge with that dealership is burned and I would be prepared to use a different dealer....

I am sitting on a survey for a boat I recently bought; not happy about a few things but am working with the dealer to get them sorted. They are the only dealer anywhere near me.....so I am not prepared nor able to burn the bridge. 5 year warranty. But, as of now, they are really trying to make me happy and that is all I can really ask for.

Quick Reply: Dealer won't service car because of a bad survey