Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Protecting the black wheels

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2015, 09:22 AM
DAFFYDRUNK
Melting Slicks

Received 289 Likes on 238 Posts

So no one had figured out a way to expel wrap wheels yet?
Old 09-19-2015, 09:52 AM
RLCullum
Instructor

Received 34 Likes on 17 Posts

Default Opta-Coat works fine

Originally Posted by No Shot
My 2014 black wheels, despite constant cleaning, did not wear well and looked progressively worse as time went on. I just bought a '16 with black wheels and want to try to protect them with wax or something to try and prevent this from happening again. I realize it's the brake dust doing it but need to try and prevent it...
When I bought my 2014 I had the whole car opti-coated, including the black wheels. The car not only always looks like it has a fresh wax job, but the wheels shine. I take it to the track every week so it does get brake dust (on my 3rd set of brakes). Afterwards just a quick hosing off a wipe-down and they are back to new. Strongly recommend the opt-coat.
Old 09-19-2015, 11:32 AM
No Shot
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by VY427
How does Armor All Wheel Protectant look on the black wheels? I've used this product on silver wheels before, and it works well, but it leaves a bit of a visible film. I figure this film can only look worse on black wheels. TIA
Years ago there was s product called Wheel Wax. Don't know if it's still around but I'm going to look for it.
Old 09-19-2015, 11:34 AM
C8Jake
Race Director

Received 5,415 Likes on 2,535 Posts

https://wheelwax.com/
Old 09-19-2015, 12:03 PM
Flame Red
Le Mans Master

Received 1,086 Likes on 657 Posts

I'll give this a try on your recommendation. Not cheap! I tried Zaino on the wheels that that does not help any. This is my first car with painted wheels and I need something or this might be my last!

I post my opinions eventually. I will have to remove the wheels and clean again and then apply this one I receive it.

Any tips for application? Says to spray on and let dry.
Old 09-19-2015, 12:36 PM
VY427
Pro

Received 35 Likes on 26 Posts

Years ago there was s product called Wheel Wax. Don't know if it's still around but I'm going to look for it.
Yes, I know about Wheel Wax. It doesn't repel brake dust nearly as well as the Armor All product. It's basically a paint sealant marketed for wheels. Thanks for the suggestion, though.
Old 09-19-2015, 04:14 PM
Adam@Amp'dAutosport.com
Supporting Vendor

Received 492 Likes on 419 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11,'13

Nope...never.
Switch to the Carbotech 1521 pads problem solved for the next 50,000 miles for $325.85 If you would like to go that I will be happy to get you set let me know.

Carbotech™ Bobcat 1521™ The Carbotech Bobcat 1521™ is our high performance street compound that is our most successful compound. The Bobcat compound is known for its awesome release and modulation, along with unmatched rotor friendliness. Like our AX™ & XP™ line of compounds, Bobcat 1521™ is a Ceramic based friction material offering minimal rotor damage and non-corrosive dust. Bobcat 1521™ offers outstanding performance, even when cold, low dusting and low noise with an excellent initial bite. This compound’s virtually perfect linear torque production provides incredible braking force without ABS intervention. Bobcat 1521™ operating range starts out at ambient and goes up to 900°F. Bobcat 1521™ is suitable for ALL street cars, perfect for your tow vehicle, police cruiser. The Bobcat 1521™ compound has been found to last two-three times longer than OE pads you can purchase at a dealership or national retailer. That’s one of the beauties of Carbotech Ceramic brake compounds. Bobcat 1521™ is NOT recommended for any track use.
PH:216-780-8825.
Email: sales@ampdautosport.com
Web Site & Direct ordering http://ampdautosport.com/
All major CC and Pay Pal accepted.
Check out Promo code:z28
Old 09-26-2015, 10:40 AM
Flame Red
Le Mans Master

With all due respect Adam, the Carbontechs 1521 are much less dusty than the stock GM pads, but they still dust. Don't get me wrong, I recommend them, just don't expect your black wheels to be totally dust free if you switch.

Originally Posted by Flame Red
I'll give this a try on your recommendation. Not cheap! I tried Zaino on the wheels that that does not help any. This is my first car with painted wheels and I need something or this might be my last!

I post my opinions eventually. I will have to remove the wheels and clean again and then apply this one I receive it.

Any tips for application? Says to spray on and let dry.
Ok, to reaffirm, this stuff is NOT cheap. $25/bottle, with $10 shipping plus they even graciously hit you for Kalifornia Sales Tax and I am in Florida! So that $37/ bottle Holy Covette Tax Batman!

I removed the wheels as I was not sure this stuff would be great for disks or pads and besides that way I could throughly clean the barrels too. I thoroughly cleaned the wheels, and get them real dry. Apply a few sprays and let dry. It does not take a lot at all. Then let it dry. Seemed to leave a white film for some reason? So I wiped it off with a microfiber cloth and the wheels are really shiny afterwards. Actually, I think it was more shiny than Zaino! Figure I'd put on another coat. So a little of this stuff goes a long way. I used about a 3rd of the bottle for two applications.

Will have to see if it works... More to come...

Last edited by Flame Red; 09-26-2015 at 10:46 AM.
The following users liked this post:
DeStreGa5 (10-09-2015)
Old 10-09-2015, 10:59 AM
DeStreGa5
Pro

Received 87 Likes on 62 Posts

With all due respect Adam, the Carbontechs 1521 are much less dusty than the stock GM pads, but they still dust. Don't get me wrong, I recommend them, just don't expect your black wheels to be totally dust free if you switch.

Ok, to reaffirm, this stuff is NOT cheap. $25/bottle, with $10 shipping plus they even graciously hit you for Kalifornia Sales Tax and I am in Florida! So that $37/ bottle Holy Covette Tax Batman!

I removed the wheels as I was not sure this stuff would be great for disks or pads and besides that way I could throughly clean the barrels too. I thoroughly cleaned the wheels, and get them real dry. Apply a few sprays and let dry. It does not take a lot at all. Then let it dry. Seemed to leave a white film for some reason? So I wiped it off with a microfiber cloth and the wheels are really shiny afterwards. Actually, I think it was more shiny than Zaino! Figure I'd put on another coat. So a little of this stuff goes a long way. I used about a 3rd of the bottle for two applications.

I'm guessing you would have to use this every time you wash or do the effects last even after washing? Please let us know!
Old 10-09-2015, 11:47 AM
Adam@Amp'dAutosport.com
Supporting Vendor

Received 492 Likes on 419 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11,'13

No problem
Old 10-09-2015, 01:46 PM
bbcb
Burning Brakes

Received 86 Likes on 72 Posts

my goodness you have some serious op
Old 10-09-2015, 04:55 PM
awright2009
Racer

Received 70 Likes on 44 Posts

I recently got sonax plus based off Glenn's suggestion, it's amazing how great the stuff works (smells like a harsh bathroom cleaner though)

I also have some opticoat that I've yet to apply as I want everything polished first

Last edited by awright2009; 10-09-2015 at 04:58 PM.
Old 10-09-2015, 05:39 PM
bd377103
Instructor

Received 76 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by C7Jake
Do you really feel the need to post a picture of your car in every thread on this forum?
The following users liked this post:
themonk (12-08-2015)
Old 10-25-2015, 04:02 PM
Skidplate
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 207 Likes on 122 Posts

Originally Posted by C7Jake View Post
http://www.nanoskinusa.com/products/.../na-bdt16.html
matte black wheels
Originally Posted by bd377103
Do you really feel the need to post a picture of your car in every thread on this forum?
OCMPD

Obsessive Compulsive Multiple Photo Disorder
Old 10-25-2015, 07:45 PM
Chets LS3
Melting Slicks

Received 77 Likes on 62 Posts

I quartz'ed my wheels and plan to spray sonar wheel cleaner and then water without touching the wheels. Seems to be a good combo, but quartz is a lengthy process, and I'm about to do the whole car so I already have a bottle of CQUK.
Old 10-25-2015, 09:12 PM
Ernest_T
Drifting

Received 106 Likes on 78 Posts

I use turtle wax ice on the wheels every time I wash the car and so far no problems. Just wipe it on with a microfiber cloth.
Old 12-07-2015, 02:21 PM
Flame Red
Le Mans Master

I removed the wheels as I was not sure this stuff would be great for disks or pads and besides that way I could thoroughly clean the barrels too. I thoroughly cleaned the wheels, and get them real dry. Apply a few sprays and let dry. It does not take a lot at all. Then let it dry. Seemed to leave a white film for some reason? So I wiped it off with a microfiber cloth and the wheels are really shiny afterwards. Actually, I think it was more shiny than Zaino! Figure I'd put on another coat. So a little of this stuff goes a long way. I used about a 3rd of the bottle for two applications.

After a couple of months of use I'll post my final opinion on this product. It seems to last between multiple car washes. I am sure if you washed the car with Dawn or something harsh, it might not hold up as well, but with the usual wax safe cleaners and Simple Green it seems to last.

If you rub your finger against the well you will get a very dirty finger indeed so the dust is certainly still there but the dust does not show at all and the finish remains bright polished black somehow. If the wheels get wet, the dirt shows up more but as soon as they dry the dirt is not obvious.

I would say that this stuff works as advertised, but is expensive, but seems to be worth it. Seems to beat Zaino, waxes and other stuff I tried on them before. Please keep in mind that these results where with Carbontech pads. I don't know if the GM pads would be similar. Not sure how this would work on other color wheels.

Last edited by Flame Red; 12-07-2015 at 02:22 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To Protecting the black wheels

Old 12-07-2015, 03:52 PM
glava2876
Burning Brakes

Received 272 Likes on 144 Posts

Originally Posted by J_Vette_Manuel
Exactly. I'll do this after washing or if the car is clean, but wheels are dusted up I will wipe them down.

Since I have the OEM Z51 pads, when I wash my car, I wash the rims & dry them and then use Meguiar's QuikWax spray wax.
This takes no time because these rims are so open it is easy to do the whole rim and brake caliper.
Old 12-08-2015, 12:34 AM
themonk
Team Owner

Location: Calgary, AB. There's a reason why white was the only color offered on every year Corvette. Proud Canadian German Jamaican!
Received 1,456 Likes on 799 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09, '12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17

Originally Posted by bd377103
yes, he must.
Old 12-08-2015, 11:36 AM
carpe dm
Le Mans Master

Received 36 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by Always Red Dave
Same here I do them every other time I take the car out about 5-10 minutes worth no problem.
I use Griot's Garage spray wax; works well, looks good.

Quick Reply: Protecting the black wheels