iOS9 and BT for CarPlay

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2015, 03:03 AM
kevincol
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 109 Likes on 67 Posts
Default iOS9 and BT for CarPlay

I upgraded to iOS 9.0 a couple days ago. Tested it the first day and couldn't get CarPlay to work on the 2016. Seems we are still tethered, though the iOS9 notes make it sound like it will work over BT. Not sure if there is some update @ the dealer to enable this, but when I took delivery at NCM, Dan said that BT would be enabled for CarPlay later this year. I took that to mean iOS 9.

Anyone else upgrade to iOS 9 and try to do CarPlay over BT?
Old 09-20-2015, 03:54 PM
JoeCT
Racer

Received 93 Likes on 51 Posts

Yes, same result on my 2016. On another forum, a member also had same result. Seems we'll need an update if wireless CarPlay is to work. They'll need to update for android support so maybe it will come at that time as well.

On a side note, it's been very glitchy for me via USB prior to ios9. Crashes about every 30 minutes or so. Infotainment goes black and comes back after about 10 secs usually back where it left off but sometimes not. Since ios9 I actually haven't gotten it to work at all. It prompts and say USB only? I say ok but it doesn't connect. I've tried briefly several times but haven't spent a lot of effort on it. When it's working, I really like it. Wish it would keep working!
Old 09-20-2015, 05:21 PM
kevincol
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by JoeCT

On a side note, it's been very glitchy for me via USB prior to ios9. Crashes about every 30 minutes or so. Infotainment goes black and comes back after about 10 secs usually back where it left off but sometimes not. Since ios9 I actually haven't gotten it to work at all. It prompts and say USB only? I say ok but it doesn't connect. I've tried briefly several times but haven't spent a lot of effort on it. When it's working, I really like it. Wish it would keep working!
Wow! Never had that problem on 8.2 or 8.3 and not on 9.0.

The consistent problem I have is if I am playing audio from the factory system (i.e. FM radio) and the iPhone says something, the FM Audio will fade / stop while the iPhone says something (i.e. Waze tells me a cop is ahead) and then music will start on the iPhone, even though it was never originally playing. That requires me to go back to the console and choose the FM radio station. Their is no workaround that I have been able to find. Personally, I think it is a problem in CarPlay and not GM. CarPlay is the only one that can take control of the input and change it back to an iOS input and start the music. That is fine if I was originally playing music from my iPhone, but I was not.

So, I'm blaming Apple on this. They clearly haven't done the level of testing across different manufacturers that they should be doing.
Old 09-20-2015, 08:46 PM
JoeCT
Racer

Originally Posted by kevincol
Wow! Never had that problem on 8.2 or 8.3 and not on 9.0.
I've only had it with 8.4 and 9. Another poster reported same problem so I know I'm not alone though based on reviews it also doesn't seem common. I don't know what the issue is but the pattern is repeatable and makes it fairly unusable. Not sure I'll get any help from service.

By the way, just for the heck of it, which ports are you using and are you using an Apple cord or 3rd party?
Old 09-20-2015, 09:03 PM
kevincol
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by JoeCT
I've only had it with 8.4 and 9. Another poster reported same problem so I know I'm not alone though based on reviews it also doesn't seem common. I don't know what the issue is but the pattern is repeatable and makes it fairly unusable. Not sure I'll get any help from service.

By the way, just for the heck of it, which ports are you using and are you using an Apple cord or 3rd party?
Forgot that I was on 8.4 before 9.0 upgrade. At any rate, it seems not really usable by either of us do to a variety of problems. I would think that Apple would have a support service for manufacturers that allows for reporting of these types of problems and compliance tests that either pass/fail. Where I work we have self-compliance testing for manufacturers to use our software. It's too expensive to do certification labs like the DVD Forum did so we can provide "incentives" to OEM's to ensure there is the proper HW on the devices by doing our own spot checks with the same compliance software testing we provide them. If the spot checks don't pan out, they have N days to resolve it or co-marketing money is pulled and then our SW feature is disabled on their devices.

Given that Apple typically has a high quality bar that they want their consumers to have, I would think they would be paying attention to these issues and proactively working with manufacturers.

I guess what we should do is log a support complaint with Apple. I have Apple Care on my iPhone so I have support. Then see what they say they think the issue is and argue logic with them that it seems it is their software.

It might take a bunch of YouTube videos illustrating the experience to get someone to think they might want to do something about it. Once Android lights up with the functionality, then it will become substantially easier to start to determine where the problem lies.
Old 09-21-2015, 02:18 AM
docprego
Burning Brakes

Received 263 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by kevincol
I upgraded to iOS 9.0 a couple days ago. Tested it the first day and couldn't get CarPlay to work on the 2016. Seems we are still tethered, though the iOS9 notes make it sound like it will work over BT. Not sure if there is some update @ the dealer to enable this, but when I took delivery at NCM, Dan said that BT would be enabled for CarPlay later this year. I took that to mean iOS 9.

Anyone else upgrade to iOS 9 and try to do CarPlay over BT?
It's not enabled at this time. GM needs to enable this for it to happen, iOS9 enables it on Apple's end.

FYI: it's over WiFi, not Bluetooth.
The following 2 users liked this post by docprego:
daleong (09-21-2015), JoeCT (09-21-2015)
Old 09-21-2015, 10:52 AM
Daekwan06
Safety Car

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

If you are having problems with iOS9.. you can still downgrade back to iOS8.4.1. You simply need a computer that is running iTunes to do so. You can always perform the upgrade to iOS9 when the issue is fixed.

Instructions are how to do so are here: http://osxdaily.com/2015/09/16/downg...-to-ios-8-4-1/
The following users liked this post:
JoeCT (09-21-2015)
Old 09-21-2015, 02:02 PM
JoeCT
Racer

Originally Posted by docprego
It's not enabled at this time. GM needs to enable this for it to happen, iOS9 enables it on Apple's end.

I've heard it might be WiFi but is that confirmed? If it is, that may be an issue for us. We know our infotainment has bluetooth capability but it's unclear whether it has WiFi capability (even though the car does). If I'm not mistaken, the CarPlay connection in iOS9's Settings/General/CarPlay makes reference to bluetooth and USB (especially if bluetooth is disabled as you connect). I don't recall if it also mentions WiFi.

P.S. I'm deep in the Apple ecosystem, for better and sometimes worse, but even I wonder why things like this should be such a mystery, i.e., why don't they just say it.
Old 09-21-2015, 03:03 PM
monicatomokc
Pro

Received 292 Likes on 153 Posts

You all are confusing me, which is normal for someone that is 66.

What I think you all are saying is that using BT (no cord to USB port) for connectivity did not occur with iOS9 and you must still tether your phone connecting to one of the USB ports; i.e., You are getting "internet" through 3G/4G/LTE reception/connectivity.

So, even with iOS9 and connecting your phone via the cord through the USB port, it will work as it did prior to upgrading to iOS9; is that correct??

I'm curious because I'm thinking of upgrading (purchasing) a 2016 version of the IO5 module for my 2014 to get CarPlay capability. I'm okay with the tethering because it keeps the phone charged. I just want to make sure that the iOS9 software update is still working for you 2016 owners, just tethered only.

THANKS.
Old 09-21-2015, 04:25 PM
LT1 Z51
Corvette Enthusiast
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 921 Likes on 614 Posts

I was afraid of this. I assumed the Bluetooth (aka Wireless) version of CarPlay would need an update on the Car and iOS side, not just iOS.

Hopefully they do a mid-model year change (when they add Android Auto) to enable this.
Old 09-21-2015, 05:26 PM
JoeCT
Racer

Originally Posted by monicatomokc
You all are confusing me, which is normal for someone that is 66.

What I think you all are saying is that using BT (no cord to USB port) for connectivity did not occur with iOS9 and you must still tether your phone connecting to one of the USB ports; i.e., You are getting "internet" through 3G/4G/LTE reception/connectivity.

So, even with iOS9 and connecting your phone via the cord through the USB port, it will work as it did prior to upgrading to iOS9; is that correct??

I'm curious because I'm thinking of upgrading (purchasing) a 2016 version of the IO5 module for my 2014 to get CarPlay capability. I'm okay with the tethering because it keeps the phone charged. I just want to make sure that the iOS9 software update is still working for you 2016 owners, just tethered only.

THANKS.
You should be fine. It will work tethered with ios9. I'm having issues with it but others are not. It's designed to work tethered or wireless with ios9. It's not yet known if we'll get an infotainment update to make wireless work but tethering already does work and will continue to do so.
Old 09-21-2015, 06:50 PM
sanantguy
Burning Brakes

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

Still not sure why anyone want's no cord connection.

The sound quality over blutooth blows and the phone isn't charging.
Old 09-21-2015, 07:34 PM
LT1 Z51
Corvette Enthusiast
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by sanantguy
Still not sure why anyone want's no cord connection.

The sound quality over blutooth blows and the phone isn't charging.
As it's been stated multiple times:

1. You listen to music on USB, XM, or some other medium, or you don't care about the loss in quality for Bluetooth because it's a car radio and frankly you can't really tell (at least I can't in my Focus ST with Sync)
2. You charge your phone at night and therefore charging in the car is redundant
3. You don't want to take your phone out of your pocket

What I frankly don't get is why anyone would want to deal with the HASSLE of plugging the phone in. This is probably why so many people break their screens or damage their phones necessitating some giant freaking case. If the phone never leaves your pocket except when it's in your hands being used (to text, make a call, or browse the internet) then the likelihood of it being lost or damaged is reduced to nearly zero.

My iPhone 5s is 2 years old, no case, no screen protector, and it looks brand new. Why? It stays in my pocket!

If I am in my car and I have to remove my phone from my pocket (once it has been paired to the car), the manufacturer has just failed.
Old 09-21-2015, 09:19 PM
not08crmanymore
Team Owner

Received 138 Likes on 119 Posts

what's carplay?Does my 14 3lt have it?
Old 09-21-2015, 09:50 PM
docprego
Burning Brakes

Received 263 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by not08crmanymore
what's carplay?Does my 14 3lt have it?
CarPlay is a new feature in the 2016 C7. Here's more information about it:

http://www.apple.com/ios/carplay/

And sanantguy raises some excellent points. Unless Apple has figured out a way to stream over WiFi at the same quality level as via USB then it's a lot less desirable. His point about charging is a good one too.

So far for me I like to place my iPhone 6 Plus in the center console and plugged into the USB port inside there. It's a tight fit to be sure but it does fit. I'm looking for a MUCH shorter lightning cable to eliminate a lot of the mess that this creates.
Old 09-22-2015, 02:04 AM
kevincol
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Where did you get that from?

MacRumors says differently -- BT, not WiFi

http://forums.macrumors.com/threads/...vices.1899203/

9. CarPlay now pairs with Bluetooth and USB
Old 09-22-2015, 07:47 AM
direct007
Melting Slicks

Received 2,009 Likes on 1,026 Posts

I get why it would be convenient not to have to plug the phone in, but it's not a huge deal to be concerned with as far as I'm concerned. When I get into my car, i automatically plug the phone into the center console and I'm good.

Carplay was actually the motivating factor for me deciding to buy my vette now. I love the convenience and features of having my iPhone extended to the car's infotainment system. I'm finding the text messaging and the ability to take calls from my business virtual phone system via the touch screen the ultimate in convenience.

Get notified of new replies

To iOS9 and BT for CarPlay

Old 09-22-2015, 08:31 AM
sanantguy
Burning Brakes

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by LS3 MN6
As it's been stated multiple times:

1. You listen to music on USB, XM, or some other medium, or you don't care about the loss in quality for Bluetooth because it's a car radio and frankly you can't really tell (at least I can't in my Focus ST with Sync)
2. You charge your phone at night and therefore charging in the car is redundant
3. You don't want to take your phone out of your pocket

What I frankly don't get is why anyone would want to deal with the HASSLE of plugging the phone in. This is probably why so many people break their screens or damage their phones necessitating some giant freaking case. If the phone never leaves your pocket except when it's in your hands being used (to text, make a call, or browse the internet) then the likelihood of it being lost or damaged is reduced to nearly zero.

My iPhone 5s is 2 years old, no case, no screen protector, and it looks brand new. Why? It stays in my pocket!

If I am in my car and I have to remove my phone from my pocket (once it has been paired to the car), the manufacturer has just failed.

Some of the people that have phones actually use them. Which makes plugging them in at some point during the day smart.
Old 09-22-2015, 01:00 PM
LT1 Z51
Corvette Enthusiast
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by sanantguy
Some of the people that have phones actually use them. Which makes plugging them in at some point during the day smart.
I use mine, never run out of a charge. If you need to regularly charge your phone two things are happening.

1. Your battery is poor
2. You use your phone too much (This I find to be all too common, specifically with younger people)

The real world is nicer than sitting on the phone. I only have an issue with a phone going dead in one day if it's my work phone and I have a disproportionate amount of conference calls (Otherwise I charge it every 2-3 days). But most of the time I am at my desk for conference calls, and so I plug my phone into my laptop because frankly I'm on WebEx and can't "go" anywhere anyway.
Old 09-23-2015, 12:27 PM
CriticalmassGT
Pro

Received 60 Likes on 45 Posts

CarPlay is a new feature in the 2016 C7. Here's more information about it:

http://www.apple.com/ios/carplay/

And sanantguy raises some excellent points. Unless Apple has figured out a way to stream over WiFi at the same quality level as via USB then it's a lot less desirable. His point about charging is a good one too.

So far for me I like to place my iPhone 6 Plus in the center console and plugged into the USB port inside there. It's a tight fit to be sure but it does fit. I'm looking for a MUCH shorter lightning cable to eliminate a lot of the mess that this creates.
Streaming over WiFi vs. USB shouldn't be an issue unless you are trying to play FLAC files. However it does open up another security issue if your car is equipped with a WiFi radio and a Bluetooth Radio.

Also, WiFi has a much longer range.

Quick Reply: iOS9 and BT for CarPlay