Sponsored by:

GM to bring ads and coupons to RemoteLink app

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2015, 01:28 PM
C Moe
CorvetteForum Editor

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Default GM to bring ads and coupons to RemoteLink app

GM wants to make your life better and more connected, thanks to a new program they are calling AtYourService. But unless more ads makes life better, I'm not buying it.

Read the rest on the Corvette Forum homepage. >>
Old 09-21-2015, 01:31 PM
Steve_R
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,289 Likes on 1,399 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17

Never used it, and this is just another reason I won't.
Old 09-21-2015, 01:51 PM
Pisswilly
Melting Slicks

Received 834 Likes on 370 Posts

Just another way to bombard the consumer with useless stupid adds!
Old 09-21-2015, 03:04 PM
meyerweb
Safety Car

Received 483 Likes on 320 Posts

Yet more disincentive to sign up with OnStar.

But since the only time I'll use the app is if I lock my keys in the car, I guess it won't bother me much. But if you want to let GM know of your displeasure:

Deana Alicea
Global Connected Customer Experience/OnStar
Phone 313-665-3142
Mobile 313-618-7357
Deana.Alicea@gm.com

Stefan Cross
Global Connected Customer and OnStar
Phone 313 667 8533
Mobile 313 530 3884
stefan.cross@onstar.com

Last edited by meyerweb; 09-21-2015 at 03:09 PM.
Old 09-21-2015, 03:14 PM
NostraD
Instructor

Received 57 Likes on 28 Posts

Totally agree on the ads being invasive and annoying, but am a little surprised to see several of you saying you don't use and/or have no need for the app. For me, I've been really pleased with having the ability to Remote Start my C7 a few minutes before leaving my office each day. It's been an unusually hot summer here in the Pacific NW and entering a pre-cooled cabin upon leaving work each day has been a pleasure.

If I park close enough, I'll of course use my fob to remote start the car. However, my office is on the 2nd floor and if I park on the other side of the building, my fob is out of range... and that's where the app comes in very handy.

I agree it will be annoying if/when ads are included within the app, but I will continue to use it, as I find it super-convenient and beneficial to my C7 ownership experience.
Old 09-21-2015, 03:18 PM
Zymurgy

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 15,075 Likes on 6,173 Posts

<p>Reading the details, it is not as bad as this might make it seem:</p><p>
</p><p>Customers with an active OnStar subscription will be able to use the <span style="color:rgb(255, 0, 0)">RemoteLink mobile app </span>to access an AtYourService tab before they start their journey. <span style="color:rgb(255, 0, 0)">The new tab </span>includes featured offers, sponsored locations and a category search tool to locate multiple options for dining, retail, fuel and more. The content will update based on the subscriber&rsquo;s location, time of day and day of the week. Offers can be saved for use anytime and the app can be personalized by favoriting frequently visited locations. Guidance plan subscribers can have directions to an offer-based location downloaded directly to their vehicle.</p><p>Statista forecasts there will be more than 92 million mobile coupon users in the U.S. in 2015. Additionally, mobile coupons are redeemed 10 times more often than paper coupons.</p><p>&ldquo;With our very active RemoteLink user base, and a growing demand for mobile couponing, the integration of AtYourService into our RemoteLink mobile app will help create a more personalized and convenient driving experience.&rdquo;</p><p>Some of the companies providing value through the AtYourService platform include Dunkin&rsquo; Donuts, and RetailMeNot for national retailers in numerous categories. Customers will also be able to access special deals from Audiobooks.com, which is offering an extended trial and access to more than 60,000 audio books.</p><p>Approximately 35 percent of OnStar point-of-interest navigation requests in North America are for retail locations, 20 percent are for restaurants and 10 percent are for hotels.</p><p>With AtYourService, Guidance plan customers can have an OnStar advisor book hotel rooms on the go through Priceline.com. AtYourService offers are available to any subscriber with a paid OnStar plan.</p><p>
</p><p>So, the ads/coupons will be on a separate tab in the app. If you don't want to see&nbsp;them, don't go to the tab.</p><p>&nbsp;</p>
Old 09-21-2015, 06:23 PM
Steve_R
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,289 Likes on 1,399 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17

Originally Posted by NostraD
Totally agree on the ads being invasive and annoying, but am a little surprised to see several of you saying you don't use and/or have no need for the app.
I don't use OnStar. Period.
Old 09-21-2015, 06:48 PM
NostraD
Instructor

Received 57 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by Steve_R
I don't use OnStar. Period.
You don't need an OnStar paid subscription to utilize a number of features in the app, including the Remote Start functionality. My OnStar trial plan lapsed a while back and I have not (and will not) renewed. The Remote Start and some other services come with your car at no additional charge for a period of 5 years... Why not use them?

Quote from Chevy Web Site:

RemoteLink Key Fob Services:

Standard for five years on OnStar-equipped vehicles RemoteLink Key Fob Services† are a component of the OnStar RemoteLink® app† that gives you access to features such as remote start (if equipped) as well as locking and unlocking — even when miles away from your vehicle.

This feature is included for five years after purchase of your 2015 Chevrolet vehicle, with or without a paid OnStar® subscription. With RemoteLink Key Fob Services, you can unlock your automatic door locks remotely if your keys are locked inside or in case of an emergency. With factory-installed and enabled remote start, you can also remotely start or turn off your car, which is helpful for cooling or heating the inside of your vehicle, and activate your vehicle’s horn and lights to help locate it in a crowded parking lot.
The following users liked this post:
Flame Red (09-22-2015)
Old 09-22-2015, 06:50 AM
Flame Red
Le Mans Master

Received 1,086 Likes on 657 Posts

You don't need an OnStar paid subscription to utilize a number of features in the app, including the Remote Start functionality. My OnStar trial plan lapsed a while back and I have not (and will not) renewed. The Remote Start and some other services come with your car at no additional charge for a period of 5 years... Why not use them?

Quote from Chevy Web Site:

RemoteLink Key Fob Services:

Standard for five years on OnStar-equipped vehicles RemoteLink Key Fob Services† are a component of the OnStar RemoteLink® app† that gives you access to features such as remote start (if equipped) as well as locking and unlocking — even when miles away from your vehicle.

This feature is included for five years after purchase of your 2015 Chevrolet vehicle, with or without a paid OnStar® subscription. With RemoteLink Key Fob Services, you can unlock your automatic door locks remotely if your keys are locked inside or in case of an emergency. With factory-installed and enabled remote start, you can also remotely start or turn off your car, which is helpful for cooling or heating the inside of your vehicle, and activate your vehicle’s horn and lights to help locate it in a crowded parking lot.
My Onstar is about to expire and I was going to renew as I really like this function and did not know it would continue. Well that function and the other function that allows you to input destinations via the app because the NAV is so crapulant one cannot input a destination on the nav screen itself. But Onstar is so much more expensive than their competitors. For the price of 1 year with Onstar I got 3 years of the Acura service. I see that they also have a new feature which will send an email or text if your alarm goes off. I guess they never heard of application "push". Might consider that if it were not such highway robbery.

Yeah, connected car ==> reach out and blast you with ads in your car too!
Old 09-22-2015, 01:57 PM
graj6
Burning Brakes

Received 353 Likes on 259 Posts

Originally Posted by Flame Red
My Onstar is about to expire and I was going to renew as I really like this function and did not know it would continue. Well that function and the other function that allows you to input destinations via the app because the NAV is so crapulant one cannot input a destination on the nav screen itself. But Onstar is so much more expensive than their competitors. For the price of 1 year with Onstar I got 3 years of the Acura service. I see that they also have a new feature which will send an email or text if your alarm goes off. I guess they never heard of application "push". Might consider that if it were not such highway robbery.

So the Nav input via the app really does require subscription right?

And are you saying that there's a different way (without the subscription) to get alarm notifications from the car via text or email?
Old 09-22-2015, 04:19 PM
GTFD2
Burning Brakes

Received 249 Likes on 143 Posts

Originally Posted by graj6
So the Nav input via the app really does require subscription right?

And are you saying that there's a different way (without the subscription) to get alarm notifications from the car via text or email?
You can input into the Nav with just the Onstar app and no subscription.
Old 09-22-2015, 04:35 PM
Vetteman Jack
Administrator

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: In a parallel universe. Currently own 2014 Stingray Coupe.
Received 19,296 Likes on 13,969 Posts
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
MO Events Coordinator
St. Jude Co-Organizer
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-
'20-'21-'22-'23-'24
NCM Sinkhole Donor
CI 5, 8 & 11 Veteran

Good info in the thread. Thanks.
Old 09-22-2015, 04:38 PM
graj6
Burning Brakes

Received 353 Likes on 259 Posts

Originally Posted by GTFD2
Are you certain though (if you've tried sending directions on your car after subscription expiry and succeeded, it would be great to know)? I was told the exact opposite by some other forum members and from everything I've read online.

What I gathered so far was that only the remote keyfob functions (lock-unlock, horn & lights, remote start) would work if the Onstar subscription expired.
Old 09-23-2015, 10:17 AM
meyerweb
Safety Car

Received 483 Likes on 320 Posts

Originally Posted by GTFD2
If you don't have the in vehicle nav system, you can't get onStar turn-by-turn directions without a subscription. I don't have Nav, so I can't comment on that.

I find Google Maps works just fine without a subscription.
Old 10-15-2015, 12:26 PM
OnStar Advisor
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Flame Red

Hi Flame Red,

We are glad to hear you really enjoy our OnStar services and are also excited that you will be renewing. In order to continue receiving the navigation services, including sending destinations to your vehicle from your phone, you will need to subscribe to our Guidance plan. In addition to providing Theft Alarm Notifications, you will also get Stolen Vehicle Assistance. This allows us to initiate the Stolen Vehicle Slow Down process or Remote Ignition Block to help authorities recover your vehicle.

To clarify about our newest service, OnStar AtYour Service, with the push of your blue button, an OnStar advisor can connect you to various offers and savings for restaurants, retailers and more along your route. They can also help you find and then book a hotel room in real-time, when you need it the most. Another method would be through your RemoteLink app, where you can view and find merchants and offers nearby.

I hope this information is helpful. Please feel free to send us a private message if you have any additional questions or if we can be of additional assistance.

Thanks,

Vivian K.
OnStar Customer Care
Old 10-15-2015, 02:06 PM
defaria
Safety Car

Received 1,203 Likes on 732 Posts

Totally agree on the ads being invasive and annoying, but am a little surprised to see several of you saying you don't use and/or have no need for the app. For me, I've been really pleased with having the ability to Remote Start my C7 a few minutes before leaving my office each day. It's been an unusually hot summer here in the Pacific NW and entering a pre-cooled cabin upon leaving work each day has been a pleasure.
If you have an M7 you can't remote start.
Old 10-15-2015, 02:24 PM
defaria
Safety Car

Received 1,203 Likes on 732 Posts

Originally Posted by meyerweb
If you don't have the in vehicle nav system, you can't get onStar turn-by-turn directions without a subscription. I don't have Nav, so I can't comment on that.
For some odd reason there seems to be two ways to "navigate" assuming you have a Nav in your car. There is "send this to in dash nav" and "send this for turn by turn directions". I've never used the later. I think it's where the dumb Onstar chick will tell you when to turn. But the in dash Nav does the same thing, if you turn on the voice guidance. So what does "turn by turn" give me? I don't know.

I use the app to send directions all the time to my car. My beefs are 1) I can't do this from my desktop. I'd love to be able do it from Google Maps itself where Google already has a "send to my device" which conveniently puts an alert on my phone that when tapped will start navigation in Google Maps. 2) bad user interface: Have to hit send twice for no reason. And 3) would like to be able to plan a route with multiple way points and send the whole route to the car.

I find Google Maps works just fine without a subscription.
As do I (though Google Maps don't do waypoints/routes). When Android Auto comes in March I assure you Onstar and the Nav will probably become a thing of the past for me...
Old 10-15-2015, 02:41 PM
jerryv
Le Mans Master

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

All this connectivity bullcrap seems to be the wave of the future.. but it's a bad future, IMHO.

I don't want to talk to my car, and I don't want my car to talk to me. I don't want a car that thinks it's a smartphone. I don't want to run 'apps'. I don't want to be a wifi hotspot. I don't want to be connected to the internet. I don't want my car to be a potential hacking target. I don't want it to know my SSN, or my phone number or my address or any passwords. I don't want it talking to Microsoft or Google or the government or anyone else without me knowing about it. I don't want ads or popups or anything remotely similar popping up on the screen.

For every perceived benefit of any of these capabilities, there are more unanticipated negative consequences.

I'm no Luddite .. I make my living from computers and work over the internet .. Anything that goes out there has the potential to get exposed. We're living in a dangerous age. But leave my car out of it .. it's my last bastion of freedom ..

Just my $.02. It's a slippery slope.
The following users liked this post:
green2000 (10-15-2015)
Old 10-15-2015, 07:28 PM
GreenGA
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 115 Likes on 96 Posts

Originally Posted by defaria
If you have an M7 you can't remote start.
My biggest complaint. I so want the M7 and also remote start.

Get notified of new replies

To GM to bring ads and coupons to RemoteLink app

Quick Reply: GM to bring ads and coupons to RemoteLink app