Sponsored by:

Pops out of gear at lights.

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2015, 08:11 PM
Boucherman
Instructor

Received 28 Likes on 21 Posts
Default Pops out of gear at lights.

My 2015 Z51 M7 pops out of first gear at stop lights. Not often, but almost twice a day. While waiting at a light I generally have my foot on the clutch while waiting for green. Small town, short lights.

I put the shifter FULLY int first gear and look at the indicator to see that it is first, not third. Often the shifter will pop halfway back to neutral. I When I don't notice it, I let out the clutch and no gear and no go. Impatient drivers honk, etc. If I push it into gear it grinds terribly. It even grinds if I don't let the clutch out then reengage first.

Does that mean I am in between first gear and it's synchronizer?? I think so.

Next time I will pull it fully into neutral THEN put it in first and hopefully pick up the use of the synchro.

Anyone else had this problem??
Old 10-01-2015, 08:47 PM
chasboland
Burning Brakes

Received 62 Likes on 48 Posts

I have had the exact same thing happen to me with my 16'Z. It really surprised me because I really thought that it was fully engaged in 1st gear. Hopefully it's not something that will continue happening. Maybe it's just me.....or something else.?? Been good lately.
Old 10-01-2015, 08:59 PM
BrunoTheMellow
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,396 Likes on 999 Posts

Originally Posted by chasboland
I have had the exact same thing happen to me with my 16'Z. It really surprised me because I really thought that it was fully engaged in 1st gear. Hopefully it's not something that will continue happening. Maybe it's just me.....or something else.?? Been good lately.
happens to me a few times a week when i first start the car. '15 z51. only 1st gear.
Old 10-01-2015, 09:04 PM
rcooper
Safety Car

Received 676 Likes on 480 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15

I have a similar problem and my fix is to put the car in neutral and when the light turns green slip it into first and go. I have not had anyone honk at me for several months now.
Old 10-01-2015, 09:48 PM
indyjack18
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I've had it happen a couple times too! Thought it was me, glad to hear others have experienced this.
'16 z51 7m
Old 10-01-2015, 10:40 PM
Mr Guns
Drifting

Received 21 Likes on 11 Posts

Mine was popping out of second all the time. I adjusted the shifter in March, and it hasn't happened since. There's a TSB on it somewhere. Once you take the interior apart and get down to the shifter, loosen the coupling screw (directly below shifter) and the two screws to the right of the shifter. Move the assembly forward or back and tighten everything down. I believe I moved mine forward for popping out of 2nd, so may need to move it back if it's popping out of 1st.

You can follow this guide (by Theta) to get down to it if you're interested in DIY:
https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...k-shifter.html

Last edited by Mr Guns; 10-01-2015 at 10:48 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Boucherman (10-03-2015)
Old 10-03-2015, 12:12 PM
thrilled
Safety Car

Received 618 Likes on 455 Posts

When ever I come up to A red traffic light I kick it out of gear and into neutral.I don't like
Keeping my foot on the clutch.Then when I see the light turning yellow on the other side I
Put it in 1st and then the light turns green.yes it looks like enlighnment problems.

Last edited by thrilled; 11-08-2015 at 06:42 PM.
Old 10-03-2015, 01:31 PM
TEXHAWK0
Le Mans Master

Received 787 Likes on 539 Posts

Mine fully engages and never pops out of gear....
Something is wrong either in the shifter adjustment or transmission...

Installed an aftermarket shifter without having to remove the lower box, and everything still works perfectly.
People that replace the lower box sometimes do not get the shifter to shift rod bolt tight enough and it causes alignment problems.

I think MRGuns is correct...moving the box backward should give you more engagement in 1st.

Last edited by TEXHAWK0; 10-03-2015 at 01:34 PM.
Old 10-03-2015, 01:39 PM
dvilin
Team Owner

Received 7,922 Likes on 4,808 Posts

Definitely not normal, and something that I would have taken care of.
Boucherman (10-03-2015)
Old 10-03-2015, 02:22 PM
rgc-c7stingray
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I've had this same problem for a long time now (purchased the car in June of 2014). I have taken the car into the dealership several times with the answer of "this is normal". I took it in again last week after finding out about the Shifter adjustment TSB. They performed the adjustment, although a little better, it still felt a bit mushy going into first, and never felt like it was solid in first.
I just purchased and installed the MGW short throw shifter and WOW did that make a difference. I have no doubt that I am in gear now. Very solid and positive gear changes, no mushy shifts now. It comes with its own alignment tool for the lower box, no guess work on centering. For the price, too bad manufacturers don't put these type of shifters in, in the first place. I guess if they put the quality stuff in, then you wouldn't need to purchase after market products.
Boucherman (10-03-2015)
Old 10-03-2015, 05:10 PM
TEXHAWK0
Le Mans Master

Received 787 Likes on 539 Posts

Originally Posted by rgc-c7stingray
I've had this same problem for a long time now (purchased the car in June of 2014). I have taken the car into the dealership several times with the answer of "this is normal". I took it in again last week after finding out about the Shifter adjustment TSB. They performed the adjustment, although a little better, it still felt a bit mushy going into first, and never felt like it was solid in first.
I just purchased and installed the MGW short throw shifter and WOW did that make a difference. I have no doubt that I am in gear now. Very solid and positive gear changes, no mushy shifts now. It comes with its own alignment tool for the lower box, no guess work on centering. For the price, too bad manufacturers don't put these type of shifters in, in the first place. I guess if they put the quality stuff in, then you wouldn't need to purchase after market products.
The new shifter probably fixed the problem mainly because you finally got it aligned correctly... you may be giving the shifter too much credit.
I have a modified HURST retro style shifter, and it is the best one I have seen for a compromise between short throw and minimal shift effort. I can feel two distinct clicks as it goes into 1st gear.
Old 10-04-2015, 09:13 AM
thrilled
Safety Car

Received 618 Likes on 455 Posts

Originally Posted by TEXHAWK0
The new shifter probably fixed the problem mainly because you finally got it aligned correctly... you may be giving the shifter too much credit.
I have a modified HURST retro style shifter, and it is the best one I have seen for a compromise between short throw and minimal shift effort. I can feel two distinct clicks as it goes into 1st gear.
Your right.I have the same shifter you do.It's all about the alignment.
Old 10-04-2015, 10:03 AM
ratman6161
Pro

Received 119 Likes on 57 Posts

Originally Posted by Boucherman
My 2015 Z51 M7 pops out of first gear at stop lights. Not often, but almost twice a day. While waiting at a light I generally have my foot on the clutch while waiting for green. Small town, short lights.

I put the shifter FULLY int first gear and look at the indicator to see that it is first, not third. Often the shifter will pop halfway back to neutral. I When I don't notice it, I let out the clutch and no gear and no go. Impatient drivers honk, etc. If I push it into gear it grinds terribly. It even grinds if I don't let the clutch out then reengage first.

Does that mean I am in between first gear and it's synchronizer?? I think so.

Next time I will pull it fully into neutral THEN put it in first and hopefully pick up the use of the synchro.

Anyone else had this problem??
Actually twice a day is a LOT in my book. My '14 has never done this once in the 10K miles I have driven it. Don't mess around with work arounds. Its under warranty - so take it in.
Old 10-04-2015, 11:53 AM
JerryU
E-Ray, 3LZ, ZER, LIFT
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 9,622 Likes on 6,626 Posts

Originally Posted by ratman6161
Actually twice a day is a LOT in my book. My '14 has never done this once in the 10K miles I have driven it. Don't mess around with work arounds. Its under warranty - so take it in.
Mine has never popped out and it is 2 years old this week! I occasionally will have it in 1st at a light with the clutch depressed. Something needs adjustment. There were some recent dealer Bulletins, on the subject- let them fix.
Old 10-04-2015, 12:05 PM
meyerweb
Safety Car

Received 483 Likes on 320 Posts

No issues with mine popping out of gear either. Definitely need to get it aligned properly. If you had the dealer to the TSB and it's still popping out of gear, either take it back and insist they do it right, or find another dealer.
Old 11-08-2015, 04:27 PM
oyealiz
Team Owner

Received 232 Likes on 119 Posts
2022 C8 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
CI 3-4-5-6-7-8-9-10 Veteran
St. Jude '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'16

OP....has this issue been corrected? If so, what was the resolution?

Fortunately, my m7 is fine, but I know someone whose c7 is doing this. The dealer tightened the linkage but that did not help.
Old 11-08-2015, 07:07 PM
Boucherman
Instructor

Received 28 Likes on 21 Posts
Default Not yet.

Originally Posted by oyealiz
OP....has this issue been corrected? If so, what was the resolution?

Fortunately, my m7 is fine, but I know someone whose c7 is doing this. The dealer tightened the linkage but that did not help.
I have not had the time to get it resolved. I do not think that my dealer would do a good job of it. I will attempt an adjustment myself next summer. It's almost time to put it away for the winter.

I have been putting it in neutral at red lights. That probably is better for the throw out bearing too. No problems when I do that.

Get notified of new replies

To Pops out of gear at lights.

Quick Reply: Pops out of gear at lights.