Sponsored by:

2014-2015 Removable Roof Panel Noise Bulletin

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2016, 06:43 PM
jwbert
Burning Brakes

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

I have a 2017 Grand Sport and there is a rattle in the same area
as being described here, due to the same type of problem?
Old 10-13-2016, 08:27 PM
Boiler_81
Drifting

Received 429 Likes on 307 Posts

No, all parts were upgraded in mid 2015. You may however have an adjustment issue.

Originally Posted by jwbert
Old 11-02-2016, 03:59 PM
davidtcpa
Go Canes!
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 329 Likes on 241 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21

I brought mine in for the recall on it and it still squeaks. Drives me nuts.
Old 12-19-2016, 07:04 PM
Tron1
Instructor

Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by jwbert
Interesting... I have been experiencing a similar problem with my roof during the last few weeks (2017 Stingray) thinking it was caused by low ambient temps. The creaking sound is worsening by each time I drive it. I think I have the same issue.
Old 12-20-2016, 11:13 AM
drummer33
Heel & Toe

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Default Noisy roof

[QUOTE=davidtcpa;1593383358]I brought mine in for the recall on it and After GM replaced the pins in my roof with the new teflon coated ones I have not had any further rattle or squeeks.
Old 12-25-2016, 08:38 AM
TBF
Instructor

Received 39 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by Tron1
Interesting... I have been experiencing a similar problem with my roof during the last few weeks (2017 Stingray) thinking it was caused by low ambient temps. The creaking sound is worsening by each time I drive it. I think I have the same issue.
Merry Christmas You may want to consider trying a couple of the work arounds described earlier. I did the extra O ring on the pin. it worked for a little while and the creak/pop came back. However it did confirm that the problem was in the pin area.

The fix my dealer did was adding the new pins, adjustting the fit and the problem was solved.

I have had a few things repaired on warranty. A MUST DO before bring your car to any GM Dealership is document the condition of your car prior to bringing it in. While the young mechanic assigned to the non-revenue warranty work was able to stop the noise he also chipped the paint in exactly the same spot on the left an right side of the roof panel. The old crusty service manger told me I couldn't prove that his young minimum wage worker was in a hurry and didn't protect the paint when he removed the old pins and the tightened new ones on. I ate the touch up repair.
Old 12-30-2016, 11:11 AM
C7@70+
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

FWIW. I have a 2016 (May 2016 build). The top has the NEW pins and the car has the revised Striker (latches). I purchased a Transparent top. Don't know the year....probably a 15 or maybe a 14. It was a BARGAIN as it has two minute scratches and it got passed down TWICE. The last owner did not find it as "COOL" as he thought and I got it at a steal. I ordered Stingray Emblems and covered the scratch and also added some really neat (to me) custom Initials. The scratch was on the "side pillar" at the front of the drivers side. That is where I put in the Stingray Emblem. I used my Initials on the Drivers Side and Z51 on the Passenger side of the top to "balance" it. I will see if the image comes through.

MY POINT....I spent $20 for the NEW pins and it took me about 5 minutes (total) to swap them out. You pull off the rubber bumper and then unscrew and reinstall. I have NOT used this top in hot weather. It did NOT make any noise, but I figured I would update it just to be sure.

I then coated the top with PLEXUS. That stuff (found it from the forums) is unbelievable. It should really increase the life of the Lexan Transparent top. I am a HAPPY owner....
Old 12-30-2016, 01:27 PM
Bob Beroza
Burning Brakes

Received 247 Likes on 161 Posts

Originally Posted by C7@70+
FWIW. I have a 2016 (May 2016 build). The top has the NEW pins and the car has the revised Striker (latches). I purchased a Transparent top. Don't know the year....probably a 15 or maybe a 14. It was a BARGAIN as it has two minute scratches and it got passed down TWICE. The last owner did not find it as "COOL" as he thought and I got it at a steal. I ordered Stingray Emblems and covered the scratch and also added some really neat (to me) custom Initials. The scratch was on the "side pillar" at the front of the drivers side. That is where I put in the Stingray Emblem. I used my Initials on the Drivers Side and Z51 on the Passenger side of the top to "balance" it. I will see if the image comes through.

MY POINT....I spent $20 for the NEW pins and it took me about 5 minutes (total) to swap them out. You pull off the rubber bumper and then unscrew and reinstall. I have NOT used this top in hot weather. It did NOT make any noise, but I figured I would update it just to be sure.

I then coated the top with PLEXUS. That stuff (found it from the forums) is unbelievable. It should really increase the life of the Lexan Transparent top. I am a HAPPY owner....
Another option would be to go on eBay. A company makes a panels that attaches to the clear section. That would cover the scratch and look GREAT.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2014-thru-20...1V-5V4&vxp=mtr

Last edited by Bob Beroza; 12-30-2016 at 01:28 PM.
Old 12-30-2016, 03:14 PM
C7@70+
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by Bob Beroza
Another option would be to go on eBay. A company makes a panels that attaches to the clear section. That would cover the scratch and look GREAT.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2014-thru-20...1V-5V4&vxp=mtr
Thanks,

I had looked at them on Corvette Mods. They are a bit more expensive from Corvette Mods than here. Will keep it in mind. Right now, Me and DW love it. I spent about $40 for the emblems and letters and it serves our purposes.

Looking at the SS items that are out there for the lights. Going directly to the company in Florida rather than one of the oneline distributors....
Old 02-08-2017, 10:59 AM
Ahr691
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

This an on going with with me, I just hope I'm in the right thread.
This is the second c7 Z06 in one year so I know it's a real problem. The targa top on both cars made noise when going over multiple bumps/road irregularities that caused the vehicle to shake rapidly, at that time the targa hatch would vibrate in a way that created a high pitched noise or rattle that being close to my ear was frustrating to deal with. I remember somewhere here in the forum a factory journal bulletin. Can any one direct me to it? It has to be on the C7 though. My service person of all people, didn't believe me that the noise is inherit in these Z06'S. I had it fixed, I thought until resonantly,the noise came back.Thanks
Old 02-08-2017, 11:27 AM
Gio's C7
Burning Brakes

Received 117 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by Ahr691
This an on going with with me, I just hope I'm in the right thread.
This is the second c7 Z06 in one year so I know it's a real problem. The targa top on both cars made noise when going over multiple bumps/road irregularities that caused the vehicle to shake rapidly, at that time the targa hatch would vibrate in a way that created a high pitched noise or rattle that being close to my ear was frustrating to deal with. I remember somewhere here in the forum a factory journal bulletin. Can any one direct me to it? It has to be on the C7 though. My service person of all people, didn't believe me that the noise is inherit in these Z06'S. I had it fixed, I thought until resonantly,the noise came back.Thanks
It is on the first page.
Old 02-08-2017, 12:14 PM
Ahr691
Advanced

Originally Posted by Gio's C7
It is on the first page.
Thanks for that. I naturally saw that bulletin but it doesn't address the locking hatch assembly where the problem is. That's what I had read somewhere in this forum. The part is the hatch lock. But, thanks for the guide.
Old 02-08-2017, 12:44 PM
Gio's C7
Burning Brakes

Received 117 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by Ahr691
Thanks for that. I naturally saw that bulletin but it doesn't address the locking hatch assembly where the problem is. That's what I had read somewhere in this forum. The part is the hatch lock. But, thanks for the guide.
I see!! Are you talking about the front latches or the rear one?
If it's the rear one you can adjust it!

Last edited by Gio's C7; 02-08-2017 at 12:44 PM.
Old 02-08-2017, 12:59 PM
Ahr691
Advanced

Originally Posted by Gio's C7
I see!! Are you talking about the front latches or the rear one?
If it's the rear one you can adjust it!
yep, the rear latch, the one in the center. the service adviser just called me to say the cars ready.
Old 02-20-2017, 09:35 PM
ahesq
Instructor

2014 C7 - Removal Roof front bracket adjustment

I need to adjust downward the left front roof bracket just behind my driver's side sun visor (2 10mm bolts), to solve a wind noise issue with my removal hardtop.

In order to do so, I need to remove the front headliner, at least the left side portion, in order to access the 2 bolts. It seems to be held on by clips, but when I tugged at it, it barely budged. I have the micro fiber suede option, but that shouldn't matter.

Does anyone have instructions and/or diagrams/photos of how to remove this item?

Thanks
Old 02-22-2017, 10:05 PM
wjresq
Intermediate
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 45 Likes on 21 Posts

See post 56.
Old 02-24-2017, 11:37 AM
1FASTVERT
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 108 Likes on 50 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12

Thank you Ken for this. I bought a 2015 and had the creek in the top. I took it in to my dealership and they took care of it. They actually had to order another striker cause the striker on the passenger side didn't sit properly and had a terrible wind noise. I know have no issues with my top thanks to you. Thanks again.
Old 04-12-2017, 07:52 PM
B-CARFL
Advanced

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Is this covered by warranty/GM? Or do we need to purchase these pieces?
Old 04-13-2017, 07:52 AM
cajunboyz
Pro

Received 33 Likes on 30 Posts

I just brought my 2016 in for a rattle on top right, behind passenger seat. My problem is it is more persistanced(rattle creek/crack more after car has sat in the hot sun). Dealer made adjustment & it was maybe a lil better, but it still does its creek/rattle after sitting in the sun. Anyone else can chime in on this? Car was built beginning of March, I picked up car April 20,2016
Old 04-14-2017, 03:05 AM
wjresq
Intermediate
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 45 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by cajunboyz
I just brought my 2016 in for a rattle on top right, behind passenger seat. My problem is it is more persistanced(rattle creek/crack more after car has sat in the hot sun). Dealer made adjustment & it was maybe a lil better, but it still does its creek/rattle after sitting in the sun. Anyone else can chime in on this? Car was built beginning of March, I picked up car April 20,2016
I suggest you tighten up the rear hook a turn (pic at post #25), which is very easy (just remove the allen screw and turn the hook). Some helpful front striker posts are #'s 36 (showing front striker mounting), 56 (removal of various items to get to front strikers), and 134 (my creak-free Z06 pin). A discussion and some pics of adjusting the rear locators are at https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...alignment.html. As shown at the link, the rear locators are even easier to get to for adjustment than the front strikers.

There is a lot of adjustability in the front striker and rear locator positions. I'm not sure that the dealers will spend the time to get them set just right (at least mine didn't). So, you might try a little DIY. The front strikers on my Z06 just loosened up after 12K miles, causing some roof rattle and wind noise. So, I removed the parts as shown in #56, tightened everything up and eliminated the problem. It took about an hour, which is much less time than a trip to the dealer would have taken.

Last edited by wjresq; 04-19-2017 at 02:00 PM. Reason: added Forum reference

Quick Reply: 2014-2015 Removable Roof Panel Noise Bulletin