Sponsored by:

A few thoughts about buying a new battery for your C7

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2015, 11:49 PM
nmvettec7
Safety Car

Received 850 Likes on 493 Posts
Default A few thoughts about buying a new battery for your C7

Here's a few thoughts about buying a new battery for your C7 when needed or any of your other vehicles.

In my research over the past few days about batteries and who makes what brands I found the following on the internet. Bottom line, despite what brand you buy most all batteries are made by Johnson Controls.

Here's the info I found based on a question I asked....quite interesting.

Could you tell me who makes Duralast batteries from Autozone?

Duralast batteries are a line of batteries sold by Autozone which by the way, is on every street corner it seems anymore. Autozone is one of the biggest auto parts store chains in the country, known for their great customer service and exceptional products. They can thank Johnson Controls for their dependable Duralast batteries. Duralast is Autozone’s private label made by Johnson Controls. Autozone offers a diverse selection of Duralast batteries, ranging from small to large. They even offer the Optima Gel Batteries in Auto and Marine, by the way, which Johnson Controls also owns.

Below is a look at Autozone’s Duralast Battery Line, and the Optima Battery line made by Johnson Controls.

Product names, logos, brands, and other trademarks featured or referred to within are the property of their respective trademark holders.

Duralast Battery Duralast Battery 750 cold cranking Amps 935 cranking Amps 2 year free replacement 7 Year Warranty

Duralast Gold BatteryDuralast Gold Battery 850 cold cranking Amps 1000 cranking Amps 3 year free replacement 8 year Warranty

Optima Duralast BatteryOptima/12 Volts, 720 CCA (910 CA) Red Top Automotive Starting Battery with Post and Side Terminals. 36 Month Free Replacement

Yellow Optima Duralast Dual TerminalOptima/12 Volts, 750 CCA (870 CA) Yellow Top Automotive Dual Purpose Battery with Post and Side Terminals. 12 Month Free Replacement

Yellow Optima Duralast Battery
Optima/12 Volts, 450 CCA (575 CA) Yellow Top Automotive Dual Purpose Battery with Post Terminals. 12 Month Free Replacement

Optima Blue Marine BatteryOptima/12 Volts, 750 CCA (870 CA) Blue Top Marine Dual Purpose Battery with Post and 3/8 in. Stainless Steel Stud Terminals. 18 Month Free Replacement

Optima Red BatteryOptima/12 Volts, 800 CCA (1000 CA) Red Top Automotive Starting Battery with Post Terminals. 36 Month Free Replacement

Johnson Controls

Johnson Controls entered the battery business in 1978 upon acquiring Globe-Union Incorporated. Globe-Union was a Wisconsin-based manufacturer of Automotive batteries for both the replacement and OEM markets. Today, Johnson Controls is the largest producer of private label lead acid batteries in North America and is becoming a leader in Asia and South America. In 2000, Johnson Controls acquired Gylling Optima Batteries AB of Sweden. The Optima Gel Battery is well known for its quality and longevity. Johnson Controls completed the acquisition of German automotive battery maker HOPPECKE Automotive GmbH & Co. The company has an excellent customer base that includes many of Europe’s leading auto manufacturers. Johnson Controls also produce batteries for other applications such as marine, lawn and garden, commercial, motorcycle, wheelchair, and golf cart use. Most consumers have no idea of the size of the battery giant. When people think of Johnson Controls, they think of thermostats for HVAC purpose not batteries. Johnson Controls is not only the largest North American battery manufacturer, but they literally control the North American battery market.

Johnson Controls manufactures batteries for the following private labels:

Interstate Battery (Interstate)

Die Hard Battery (Sears)
Die Hard Battery (Sears)

Duralast Battery (Autozone)

Kirkland Logo (Costco)
Kirkland Battery (Costco)

Everstart Battery (Walmart)

Prostart Battery (Pepboys)

Hope this info helps CF members.
The following 12 users liked this post by nmvettec7:
Bandit1 (04-26-2016), BenCasey (10-10-2015), BRussell (10-10-2015), Chemdawg99 (04-25-2016), DickieDoo (04-25-2016), dpb (10-11-2015), flby55 (10-10-2015), kenownr (10-12-2015), LIE2ME (10-10-2015), r00t61 (04-25-2016), Red C8 of Jax (10-10-2015), Skidplate (10-10-2015) and 7 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 10-09-2015, 11:58 PM
Zymurgy

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 15,075 Likes on 6,173 Posts

Many labels are produced my a single manufacturer such as this (for example, Champion Labs make many brands of oil filters). However, this does not mean that they are all the same. Most are made to different specs for the different brands. Bottom line ... brands DO matter.
The following 3 users liked this post by Zymurgy:
green2000 (10-10-2015), joeybsyc (04-26-2016), Red C8 of Jax (10-10-2015)
Old 10-10-2015, 02:37 AM
Nuclearranger
Pro

Received 82 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by Zymurgy
Many labels are produced my a single manufacturer such as this (for example, Champion Labs make many brands of oil filters). However, this does not mean that they are all the same. Most are made to different specs for the different brands. Bottom line ... brands DO matter.

Somewhat...

On paper? Sure. However, for batteries, the difference between 700 cold cranking amps and 800 cold cranking amps is basically useless for a car, yet, sold for 30% more.

By this logic, I get my 4th battery free by not wasting money on w/e

Also, COSTCO takes the cake, they sell these things for $80 +- a few
Old 10-10-2015, 07:40 AM
Glen e
Race Director

Received 927 Likes on 485 Posts
Tech Contributor

When its time, i will be putting in an PC1500 ODYSSEY AGM batt. I have used eight of them on my boat, and they are bulletproof. IMO, Long-term problem with the Chevy battery is , it is small for a Supercar. It's 650 CCA… thats too small for me.

Last edited by Glen e; 10-10-2015 at 09:02 AM.
The following users liked this post:
dpb (10-11-2015)
Old 10-10-2015, 08:05 AM
dvilin
Team Owner

Received 7,922 Likes on 4,808 Posts

Interesting info, thanks for sharing.
Old 10-10-2015, 08:57 AM
Vetteman Jack
Administrator

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: In a parallel universe. Currently own 2014 Stingray Coupe.
Received 19,296 Likes on 13,969 Posts
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
MO Events Coordinator
St. Jude Co-Organizer
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-
'20-'21-'22-'23-'24
NCM Sinkhole Donor
CI 5, 8 & 11 Veteran

Thanks for the info. Did not realize Johnson Controls made batteries for so many brands.
Old 10-10-2015, 09:13 AM
W88fixer
Melting Slicks

Received 72 Likes on 43 Posts

I absolutely agree with your remarks, so....the question is which of the batteries Johnson makes for the US market are the highest quality items? I was aware that Johnson was a dominant manufacturer but didn't know that they are that big. Don
Old 10-10-2015, 10:01 AM
nmvettec7
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Nuclearranger
Somewhat...

On paper? Sure. However, for batteries, the difference between 700 cold cranking amps and 800 cold cranking amps is basically useless for a car, yet, sold for 30% more.

By this logic, I get my 4th battery free by not wasting money on w/e

Also, COSTCO takes the cake, they sell these things for $80 +- a few
Originally Posted by Vetteman Jack
Thanks for the info. Did not realize Johnson Controls made batteries for so many brands.
Originally Posted by W88fixer
I absolutely agree with your remarks, so....the question is which of the batteries Johnson makes for the US market are the highest quality items? I was aware that Johnson was a dominant manufacturer but didn't know that they are that big. Don
Case in point:

I have compared 3 batteries for my other sports car (Jaguar XKR) that I am replacing the battery after 5 years in the car.

Interstate 49/H8.........$191.18
Duralast H8/DLG.........$174.99 (Autozone)
DieHard Gold 49/H8.....$159.29 (Sears)
EverstartMaxx H8........$123.13 (Walmart)

These batteries are all made by Johnson Controls and have essentially the same specs.

So,what would you buy?

Last edited by nmvettec7; 10-10-2015 at 10:37 AM.
Old 10-10-2015, 11:51 AM
JerryU
E-Ray, 3LZ, ZER, LIFT
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 9,622 Likes on 6,626 Posts

Originally Posted by Vetteman Jack
We toured the Johnson's Control plant in Florence SC a year or so ago. After a ~100 are charged in one of several charging tables, sitting in water to keep them cool, they go on a conveyor belt and about 8 folks at the end pull labels for what looked like over 20 brands and types! Of interest the distribution is such that if a Sears store needs one battery their trucks will deliver it! They also pick-up the old batteries and now have a reclamation facility in town. They ship and pick-up all over the South East.
Although Johnson Controls bought Optima some time ago, those are of a unique design and I believe are now only made in Mexico. They had a stock at this production facility so they could replenish those going to the many retailers they supply. By the way the engineer conducting the tour for our local ASME Section said the major difference in brands is the warranty, That is what your paying for!
However since I have had a low voltage in my C7 since new (~12.4 volts after the surface charge is gone) have been looking for a AGM battery replacement. An Optima, which I have in my Street Rod and put in my C6 will not fit! There is a power circuit board on the positive terminal so you need a matching shape. Sears now have an AMG battery for the C7. That is what I'll probably get at the first sign of a starting issue. DieHard 48 Battery Item # 02850748000P Model # 50748

Last edited by JerryU; 10-10-2015 at 12:14 PM.
Old 10-10-2015, 12:03 PM
Jud Chapin
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 417 Likes on 288 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-‘18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24

Originally Posted by nmvettec7
Here's a few thoughts about buying a new battery for your C7 when needed or any of your other vehicles.

In my research over the past few days about batteries and who makes what brands I found the following on the internet. Bottom line, despite what brand you buy most all batteries are made by Johnson Controls.

Here's the info I found based on a question I asked....quite interesting.

Could you tell me who makes Duralast batteries from Autozone?

Duralast batteries are a line of batteries sold by Autozone which by the way, is on every street corner it seems anymore. Autozone is one of the biggest auto parts store chains in the country, known for their great customer service and exceptional products. They can thank Johnson Controls for their dependable Duralast batteries. Duralast is Autozone’s private label made by Johnson Controls. Autozone offers a diverse selection of Duralast batteries, ranging from small to large. They even offer the Optima Gel Batteries in Auto and Marine, by the way, which Johnson Controls also owns.

Below is a look at Autozone’s Duralast Battery Line, and the Optima Battery line made by Johnson Controls.

Product names, logos, brands, and other trademarks featured or referred to within are the property of their respective trademark holders.

Duralast Battery Duralast Battery 750 cold cranking Amps 935 cranking Amps 2 year free replacement 7 Year Warranty

Duralast Gold BatteryDuralast Gold Battery 850 cold cranking Amps 1000 cranking Amps 3 year free replacement 8 year Warranty

Optima Duralast BatteryOptima/12 Volts, 720 CCA (910 CA) Red Top Automotive Starting Battery with Post and Side Terminals. 36 Month Free Replacement

Yellow Optima Duralast Dual TerminalOptima/12 Volts, 750 CCA (870 CA) Yellow Top Automotive Dual Purpose Battery with Post and Side Terminals. 12 Month Free Replacement

Yellow Optima Duralast Battery
Optima/12 Volts, 450 CCA (575 CA) Yellow Top Automotive Dual Purpose Battery with Post Terminals. 12 Month Free Replacement

Optima Blue Marine BatteryOptima/12 Volts, 750 CCA (870 CA) Blue Top Marine Dual Purpose Battery with Post and 3/8 in. Stainless Steel Stud Terminals. 18 Month Free Replacement

Optima Red BatteryOptima/12 Volts, 800 CCA (1000 CA) Red Top Automotive Starting Battery with Post Terminals. 36 Month Free Replacement

Johnson Controls

Johnson Controls entered the battery business in 1978 upon acquiring Globe-Union Incorporated. Globe-Union was a Wisconsin-based manufacturer of Automotive batteries for both the replacement and OEM markets. Today, Johnson Controls is the largest producer of private label lead acid batteries in North America and is becoming a leader in Asia and South America. In 2000, Johnson Controls acquired Gylling Optima Batteries AB of Sweden. The Optima Gel Battery is well known for its quality and longevity. Johnson Controls completed the acquisition of German automotive battery maker HOPPECKE Automotive GmbH & Co. The company has an excellent customer base that includes many of Europe’s leading auto manufacturers. Johnson Controls also produce batteries for other applications such as marine, lawn and garden, commercial, motorcycle, wheelchair, and golf cart use. Most consumers have no idea of the size of the battery giant. When people think of Johnson Controls, they think of thermostats for HVAC purpose not batteries. Johnson Controls is not only the largest North American battery manufacturer, but they literally control the North American battery market.

Johnson Controls manufactures batteries for the following private labels:

Die Hard Battery (Sears)
Die Hard Battery (Sears)

Kirkland Logo (Costco)
Kirkland Battery (Costco)

Hope this info helps CF members.
Thanks for the info. If I might add, they also manufacture batteries for Advance Auto and several auto manufacturers including Ford. They have over 1/3 of the world's battery market.
Old 10-10-2015, 12:11 PM
not08crmanymore
Team Owner

Received 138 Likes on 119 Posts

I can't believe people actually research batteries..
Old 10-10-2015, 12:16 PM
JerryU
E-Ray, 3LZ, ZER, LIFT
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 9,622 Likes on 6,626 Posts

Originally Posted by not08crmanymore
I can't believe people actually research batteries..
Hmm. If your's was reading 12.4 volts when new and the dealer said it was fine (as expected) you'd be researching as I have from October 2013! So far it still starts the car.
Sears was one of the first to list an AGM battery that fit about a year ago. DieHard 48 Battery Item # 02850748000P Model # 50748!
Old 10-10-2015, 12:16 PM
BenCasey
Burning Brakes

Received 268 Likes on 188 Posts

Case in point:

I have compared 3 batteries for my other sports car (Jaguar XKR) that I am replacing the battery after 5 years in the car.

These batteries are all made by Johnson Controls and have essentially the same specs.

So,what would you buy?
Interesting.

Walmart oil filters are, from what I've read, great quality compared to many other filters. If memory serves, the Bosche, Mobil 1 and Walmart "supertech" filters are made at the same facility. The Walmart filters were cheaper because they didn't use steel end caps like Bosche and M1. Almost the same filter area, I believe just short a few pleats.
Old 10-10-2015, 12:28 PM
not08crmanymore
Team Owner

Received 138 Likes on 119 Posts

Do they all have the same cold cranking amps? If they do,I'd buy the least expensive one!
Old 10-10-2015, 02:12 PM
nmvettec7
Safety Car

Originally Posted by [B
not08crmanymore[/B];1590666766]I can't believe people actually research batteries..
Spending a small amount of time to research is always a learning experience. In today's world many people don't want to take time to complete due diligence or research topics. I learned allot about batteries. I learned most importantly that one manufacturer makes most of the batteries for the American market and it is now easy to make a decision when having to make a purchase. I have become an informed consumer. Since I was a professional researcher for many years in the securities industry both researching and evaluating major companies and industries, I find using my past experience and tools to conduct research is quite easy and does not require much of my time.

Originally Posted by [B
not08crmanymore[/B];1590666869]Do they all have the same cold cranking amps? If they do,I'd buy the least expensive one!

The batteries listed above are all within 50-100 CCA amps of each other. Sizes are virtually the same of each other.

I am learning towards the Walmart Maxx battery or the Autozone Duralast due to the vast amount of retail outlets available to the consumer and their respective exchange, replacement and pro-rated policies to the consumer.
Old 10-10-2015, 02:16 PM
Jud Chapin
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 417 Likes on 288 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-‘18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24

Never cared much for the Optima batteries. I worked at Advance Auto after I retired and saw way too many returned under warranty.
Old 10-10-2015, 02:26 PM
383vett
Race Director

Received 1,541 Likes on 1,042 Posts

Originally Posted by Glen e
When its time, i will be putting in an PC1500 ODYSSEY AGM batt. I have used eight of them on my boat, and they are bulletproof. IMO, Long-term problem with the Chevy battery is , it is small for a Supercar. It's 650 CCA… thats too small for me.
I'm a fan of the Odyssey battery also. I use a PC 1200 in my bracket car. Can't be beat.

Get notified of new replies

To A few thoughts about buying a new battery for your C7

Old 10-10-2015, 04:47 PM
Zymurgy

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 15,075 Likes on 6,173 Posts

Case in point:

So,what would you buy?
I'd look at CCA and warranty and buy the best value - not necessarily the cheapest.
Old 10-10-2015, 05:19 PM
juanvaldez
Team Owner

Received 493 Likes on 364 Posts

Replace it with a lithium battery and save about 35 lbs.
Old 10-10-2015, 07:09 PM
nmvettec7
Safety Car

I'd look at CCA and warranty and buy the best value - not necessarily the cheapest.
Price is not a factor.

Cold Cranking Amps and Warranties of the batteries listed above are almost all the same regardless of the brand or price point.

I am seeking the best bang for the buck. In this situation, the most expensive (Interstate @$191.00) does not mean it is any better.

Quick Reply: A few thoughts about buying a new battery for your C7