Sponsored by:

A6 Transmission overheating ATF fluid question

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2015, 10:11 PM
Stingray Al
Burning Brakes

Received 39 Likes on 22 Posts

Default A6 Transmission overheating ATF fluid question

I have read numerous threads re automatic transmission overheating issues. My 2014 A6 Z51 Stingray overheated on the track a few weeks ago. I know GM promised to come out with a "fix".

However,

Has anyone tried Redline or Amsoil ATF ?

Last edited by Stingray Al; 10-10-2015 at 10:19 PM.
Old 10-11-2015, 12:41 AM
Jay_Davis
Drifting

Received 90 Likes on 73 Posts

Any fixes are for the A8. There's an aftermarket upgrade for the A6, do a search and you should find it.
Old 10-11-2015, 08:06 AM
Stingray Al
Burning Brakes

I saw a vendor has a larger pan for sale. However, I thought GM's fix included the 2014 6 speed auto too. I'm still curious if anyone replaced their fluid with Amsoil or redline etc..

Last edited by Stingray Al; 10-11-2015 at 08:09 AM.
Old 10-11-2015, 12:37 PM
beepster
Melting Slicks

Received 50 Likes on 30 Posts

Old 10-11-2015, 02:01 PM
Flame Red
Le Mans Master

Received 1,084 Likes on 656 Posts

There are a few threads out there. I have read posts that people have changed their tranny fluid. And there is a vendor that provides a aftermarket pan and tranny coolers that seem to solve the overheating problems from what adopters have stated.

None of these are sanctioned by GM. No "fix" from GM.

Of course, all the people that are going that route could be faced with GM not honoring the drive train warranty if their tranny goes. Seems to be a lot of people that mod away with Cams, engine tunes, superchargers, and don't seem to care if GM honors their warranty or not. I guess they figure they got to pay to play.
Old 10-11-2015, 06:45 PM
Stingray Al
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Flame Red
There are a few threads out there. I have read posts that people have changed their tranny fluid. And there is a vendor that provides a aftermarket pan and tranny coolers that seem to solve the overheating problems from what adopters have stated.

None of these are sanctioned by GM. No "fix" from GM.

Of course, all the people that are going that route could be faced with GM not honoring the drive train warranty if their tranny goes. Seems to be a lot of people that mod away with Cams, engine tunes, superchargers, and don't seem to care if GM honors their warranty or not. I guess they figure they got to pay to play.

I did some searches and only found threads re: fluid changes in manual cars. Not automatics
Old 10-11-2015, 06:59 PM
thello
Cruising

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I tried to heat shield my exhaust instead of wrapping. Wrapping has had no effect. To nobody's surprise heat shielding doesn't work either. I got 10 minutes out of each run today and needed 30min in between to cool. Disappointing. The z06 ran all day without an issue. Onto the LG motorsports solution (which apparently does work) or exchange for a manual.
Old 10-11-2015, 07:00 PM
thello
Cruising

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Different fluid wont work either BTW, based upon other posts.
Old 10-13-2015, 04:56 PM
beepster
Melting Slicks

Received 50 Likes on 30 Posts

OK, dumb question: How do you know when (or if) the transmission is overheating?
Old 10-13-2015, 05:38 PM
5thGear
Drifting

Received 199 Likes on 124 Posts

Originally Posted by beepster
OK, dumb question: How do you know when (or if) the transmission is overheating?
Select performance tap (left arrow on you steering wheel). Then go through the choices until you get to transmission temp. Anything over 250F is high. At 270F plus the car will show overheating message and will ask you to idle the car. Then the car goes into limp mode and will shift to the highest gear while denying your shift inputs. Above 250F the shifts will becomes slow and harsh.

You can go with LG solution for A6 cooling or checkout the threads that I have started and you can apply the same solution I did. Changing the fluid will not solve the problem so don't waste your time.

I doubt GM would provide any solution and even if they do, Tadge said you would need to purchase it. GM promised me a cooling kit by May since I have open case for A8 overheating and that never happened. Case still open.
The following users liked this post:
beepster (10-15-2015)

Get notified of new replies

To A6 Transmission overheating ATF fluid question

Quick Reply: A6 Transmission overheating ATF fluid question