Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Corvette makes worst reliable list.

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2015, 09:16 PM
BladeSilver2015
Pro

Received 122 Likes on 67 Posts

I stopped paying attention to most of the media reports on car reliability long ago. After owning 85 cars and trucks I found some of the best rated vehicles to be the worst and some of the worst rated to be the best. A good example was my 2001 Ram 2500. When I bought the truck, it was in the toilet as far as ratings were concerned. I think it was listed as the most unreliable truck in existence at the time. Gave me 14 years of trouble free service. I agree with ratman6161. Those that hate their cars, get rid of them and move on to something else. I have done so many times. So far, my C7 has been flawless. If it has major problems, I will sell or trade it.

Last edited by BladeSilver2015; 10-21-2015 at 09:18 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by BladeSilver2015:
dmoneychris (12-28-2015), Steve_R (10-21-2015)
Old 10-21-2015, 09:18 PM
owc6
Team Owner

Received 4,186 Likes on 2,679 Posts

FER what it's worth:

I have a firstyearc6andafirstyearc7, The C7 blows the C6 out of the water, and I still have the '05. I still love it.

That said, In over 215,000 miles, yes there have been a bunch of issues on the C6, but, most have been due to oldcaritis.
Old 10-21-2015, 10:04 PM
RedC7AZ
Race Director

Received 534 Likes on 334 Posts

Originally Posted by Vette_Pilot
Better watch out if you want to buy a used C7!!!!
Fortunately for C7 owners it's still a sellers market.
Old 10-21-2015, 10:28 PM
jimmyb
Race Director

Received 4,248 Likes on 2,023 Posts

Originally Posted by ratman6161
I'm not in denial. My car simply doesn't have any problems other than one minor little thing that was quickly fixed under warranty.

I guess I don't get it. If so many of you hate your cars (assuming you actually do own one...there are a few who I suspect don't) or think they are "junk" as some of you have said, then why are you here? Why don't you just sell it or trade it for something you don't consider junk. If I hated my car as much as some of you seem to there is no way I would keep it.

OK, so now I guess I will be flamed mercilessly. But someone had to say it.
Don't worry about being flamed by owners. The vast majority of people here who have complaints about the C7 don't own one. But they "know" someone who's C7 did this or that.

Now me...my 2014 C7 is my 5th Corvette. I have had ZERO issues with the car. It has been in the shop twice since March 2014 for 2 oil changes. At the time of those 2 visits, the 2 recalls that applied to my car (rear shocks replaced and siphon pipe checked but screen was in place) were taken care of.
Of my 5 Corvettes, this one and my 2008 are (and were) perfect, service wise.

Jimmy
The following users liked this post:
ratman6161 (10-22-2015)
Old 10-21-2015, 10:48 PM
baloney456
Cruising

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default C7 issues

Oh I have had a plethora of major issues on my 2014 Z51 3LT:

1) Valves in performance exhaust package in front of mufflers constantly squeaked--entire exhaust had to be replaced
2) Torque Tube Failed! had to be replaced entailing entire car body removed up to front quarter panels and entire transmission removed up to the engine and entire rear suspension removed.
3) Touch Screen Console Failed! Had to be replaced entailing disassembly of entire dash and center console
4) Power seats lost their programming and would not automatically move forward and back. ECM had to be reflashed
5) Front bumper panel where it meets the hood keeps popping out of place. Not repaired yet.
6) Constant squeaking inside door panels and rattles on seatbelt brackets. Not repaired yet.
Old 10-22-2015, 07:05 AM
PerKr
Racer

Received 138 Likes on 96 Posts

Originally Posted by ratman6161
Well now hold on there...just what are you calling a "failure". My 2014 was one of those on the list with a single problem. Mine was the bad ignition coil. So yes, the ignition coil failed, but the car is not a failure. It was also in no way the "massive work" you mention.

A lot of my opinion on this also has to do with my dealer and the fact that they have given me excellent service so far. For my failed coil (not failed car) I stopped by the dealership on my way home from work at 6:00 PM. The service writer said, "well none of our "Corvette guys" is here right now. Can you wait until tomorrow morning when one if them is in?" So I say sure no problem. The next morning I got a call around an hour and a half after the service department opened saying that it was a bad coil, it had been replaced under warranty, and car was ready for pickup. So no fuss, problem solved and has not happened again. Once again, no "massive work" here. Just stop by the dealership and the next morning its fixed and I'm on my way...no big deal.

So I reject the idea of counting my car as part of a "43% failure rate". If you count every little thing in that percentage, then every car will have a very high "failure rate". You are also lumping my minor little issue (only one in almost 19000 miles on the car) in with the failed transmissions and treating all issues as if they were the same.

I tend to talk about how all my cars since the late '90s have been relatively trouble free - but if I counted every issue as a "failure" then my '98 Dodge, 2007 Hyundai (also had an ignition coil replaced under warranty BTW), my 2010 Ford, and my wife's 2011 subaru are all "failures" in one way or another.

EDIT: By your reasoning, my 2001 C5 was the only car I've owned since the '90s that was not a "failure" as it was never in the shop even one time except for scheduled maintenance.
I used the word "failure" as I couldn't really recall the term used. Service Call Rate, or SCR, is what we are looking at. That and NRFT ("Not Right First Time"). Of course a single component failure doesn't make the whole car a failure. Even if all cars experienced coil issues that wouldn't make the whole car a failure even though the SCR (which I referred to as "failure rate") would be 100%. If the situation was such that 43% of the cars were complete failures then more than likely every single car would have substantial component failures and we would see figures well over 100% (as most of the cars would have to be serviced several times). Any time a product requires unscheduled service it is due to a failure which may range from being severe (engine deciding to run away from chassis, brakes deciding it would be nice to take a vacation, things like that) to being mostly a nuisance (miscoloured spots on the seats of a new car, slight scratches from the factory, someone forgot to tighten some screws leading to excessive rattles and so on).

the massive work isn't on the user or service guy end. The massive work is what the R&D and quality departments face when the service call rate goes up. We had some products with SCR at this level and we had to spend a lot of time and money rectifying issues (ranging from severe to somewhat silly) which should never have existed in the first place. To the customer and service guy it's mostly just a nuisance (well, ok, the service guys live off these things so they shouldn't complain).

Hope that cleared it up? Again, I'm not saying the whole car is a failure and I'm not saying that the faults ("fault" might have been the more appropriate word to use from the start?) lead to massive work for the customer or the service guys.
Old 10-22-2015, 08:20 AM
fredl11
Safety Car

Received 69 Likes on 32 Posts

MSNBC!! First clue
Old 10-22-2015, 08:45 AM
punky
Banned Scam/Spammer

Received 3,862 Likes on 1,912 Posts

Originally Posted by fredl11
MSNBC!! First clue
Yeah MSNBC. What a joke. Guess it matters if you are one of the ten people in this country who still allows themselves to be subjected to that over the top liberal nonsense. FOX buried that gang many years ago.
Old 10-22-2015, 09:23 AM
pdiddy972
Race Director

Received 532 Likes on 330 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SG_Ret
Certainly the more features included in a car raises the chances of one not functioning properly. A car with a three speed trans, no power anything is going to have less chance of failures than a car with every imaginable bell and whistle (exception being the venerable Yugo).
Not a really useful point to make, I don't think. Since all manufacturers that makes cars are throwing in all these new features, it still is telling for a car to be in the list of most unreliable (meaning they're not doing it as well as the others).
Old 10-22-2015, 09:33 AM
pdiddy972
Race Director

Originally Posted by AORoads
Does anyone care?
I do...
Old 10-22-2015, 09:34 AM
pdiddy972
Race Director

Originally Posted by Steve_R
LOL, not me.

Just saw a story on NBC News on this subject. They didn't mention the C7. They did say that the Tesla, which Consumer Reports fawned all over as the best car they ever tested, is ranked worse than average for reliability.

A few here seem to have a personal vendetta against GM and want everyone else to join them. I've found it's easier to use the Ignore feature here and quit wasting my time reading their useless drivel.
So you're only here for the brand cheerleading?
Old 10-22-2015, 09:37 AM
cheapthrills
Melting Slicks

Received 441 Likes on 292 Posts

Originally Posted by pdiddy972
Not a really useful point to make, I don't think. Since all manufacturers that makes cars are throwing in all these new features, it still is telling for a car to be in the list of most unreliable (meaning they're not doing it as well as the others).

I don't think a corolla has optional mag ride, ediff, cooled seats, removable top, dry sump, PDR, you get the point. I will say the way many Korean and Japanese companies improve quality is to not offer so many choices, you get the a, b, or c model which comes with the accompanying level of whatever. With the corvette and many American and German cars is a smorgasbord of add on to mix and match as desired, making it more difficult to maintain quality IMO. BTW I'm not at all a brand cheerleader, this is my first GM product and so far have been very happy with the car.
Old 10-22-2015, 09:45 AM
pdiddy972
Race Director

Originally Posted by BladeSilver2015
After owning 85 cars and trucks
Good Heavens, man! Do you buy a car every 6 months or something??
Old 10-22-2015, 09:50 AM
Runs11s
Pro

Received 39 Likes on 28 Posts

So this transmission issue - I haven't read all the threads about the A8 but most buyers seem to be very happy with their choice. I'm considering one my self and from most of what I read, the transmission itself seems fairly reliable.

The issues I've read seem more to do with the software or the hardware OUTSIDE of the transmission. How many transmissions have actually 'puked'? How many tear downs of the actual transmission were involved that showed a failed gear, converter, bearing, etc?

Anyone here?
Old 10-22-2015, 09:55 AM
SublimeZ06
Instructor

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by cheapthrills
I don't think a corolla has optional mag ride, ediff, cooled seats, removable top, dry sump, PDR, you get the point. I will say the way many Korean and Japanese companies improve quality is to not offer so many choices, you get the a, b, or c model which comes with the accompanying level of whatever. With the corvette and many American and German cars is a smorgasbord of add on to mix and match as desired, making it more difficult to maintain quality IMO. BTW I'm not at all a brand cheerleader, this is my first GM product and so far have been very happy with the car.

I agree with your point. I think the Corvette team is trying to do way too much rather than just focusing on an outstanding chassis and drivetrain. They are severely overcomplicating what could be an outstanding car. WiFi hotspot??? Eco mode???? Seriously ridiculous. The cynic in me thinks that this overcomplication is on purpose and part of "engineered obsolescence" to 1. sell more extended warranties at huge profits, and 2. have more people dump cars earlier (2-3 years) and buy new ones again at huge profits for GM.

For owners like me who like to take care of our cars and keep them well past the warranty period, this profit-maximizing mentality while sacrificing the soul of the brand doesn't sit well. The C7 will be a nightmare to maintain past the warranty period and the C7Z even more so.

Last edited by SublimeZ06; 10-22-2015 at 10:02 AM.
Old 10-22-2015, 11:59 AM
Steve_R
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,289 Likes on 1,399 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17

So you're only here for the brand cheerleading?
Nope. I'm here to learn. Not for brand cheerleading OR brand bashing. Neither is of any value to me. YMMV.
Old 10-22-2015, 12:03 PM
BladeSilver2015
Pro

Received 122 Likes on 67 Posts

Good Heavens, man! Do you buy a car every 6 months or something??

Vehicles are my hobby. In the past I would frequently own 4 or 5 at a time and would buy and sell them when financially sound opportunities presented themselves. Don't do that as much now due to health reasons.

Get notified of new replies

To Corvette makes worst reliable list.

Old 10-22-2015, 12:15 PM
GMuffley
Le Mans Master

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by drmustang
Yeah MSNBC. What a joke. Guess it matters if you are one of the ten people in this country who still allows themselves to be subjected to that over the top liberal nonsense. FOX buried that gang many years ago.
So if they found the C7 the most reliable, maybe your post would have changed?
Old 10-22-2015, 12:33 PM
ratman6161
Pro

Received 119 Likes on 57 Posts

Originally Posted by SublimeZ06
I agree with your point. I think the Corvette team is trying to do way too much rather than just focusing on an outstanding chassis and drivetrain. They are severely overcomplicating what could be an outstanding car. WiFi hotspot??? Eco mode???? Seriously ridiculous. The cynic in me thinks that this overcomplication is on purpose and part of "engineered obsolescence" to 1. sell more extended warranties at huge profits, and 2. have more people dump cars earlier (2-3 years) and buy new ones again at huge profits for GM.

For owners like me who like to take care of our cars and keep them well past the warranty period, this profit-maximizing mentality while sacrificing the soul of the brand doesn't sit well. The C7 will be a nightmare to maintain past the warranty period and the C7Z even more so.
Well, the purpose of ECO mode is most likely to please the EPA, avoid a gas guzzler tax, and advertise high MPG numbers. For that third item, I don't think it really needs it since the car gets pretty good MPG for a 6.2L V8 with the kind of power it has. But there is no way around it from the manufacturer's point of view - they have to please the regulators. Fortunately there is no requirement that I actually turn the **** to eco mode though the auto transmission crowd does have to suffer 4 cylinder mode even when not in Eco. Being an M7 sort of person its not a big deal for me personally.

On the WiFi hot spot, I think that OnStar and the WiFi hotspot capability is standard on all GM Vehicles these days isn't it? There are two pieces of good news on that. 1. I don't have to get OnStar (in my case I never bothered to even turn on my trial subscription); ditto for WiFi and 2. Since its not a Corvette unique feature, there will be millions of cars out there with it so much less likely that there will be issues with it. Of course I will never know personally as (like I said) I never turned on OnStar and my '14 doesn't have the WiFi anyway (and I wouldn't turn that on either if it did). I suspect that having OnStar and WiFi on the car that you don't use is not actually costing you anything. They probably include the hardware for this stuff for free in the hopes of earning subscription dollars - fortunately, optional.

Edit: just after posting the above, I saw this posting:
https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...ot-camera.html

So, for every owner that says they don't need all the electronic gadgetry, there is another that says "why isn't there more gadgetry". Seems as though GM can't win on the issue.

Last edited by ratman6161; 10-22-2015 at 12:39 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Steve_R (10-22-2015)
Old 10-22-2015, 12:38 PM
Steve_R
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,289 Likes on 1,399 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17

My '14 with A6 has never seen V4 mode in over 8,000 miles. So no, those of us with an auto trans don't have to "suffer" with V4 mode.

I never activated the Onstar trial period either.

Quick Reply: Corvette makes worst reliable list.