C7 General Discussion General C7 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

C7 owners that are mechanically inclined!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2016, 02:24 PM
COSPEED
Melting Slicks

Received 118 Likes on 99 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10

Hey guys and gals. We are running the January special on the catch cans. Here is the link:

http://www.coloradospeed.com/?main_p...ha_filter_id=0

NOW is the time to get one if you need one. Not everyone will need a catch can but by the disucssion, it is a good thing to have. We'll never do this price again on these so January is the month. Thanks!
Old 04-30-2016, 03:38 PM
COSPEED
Melting Slicks

St. Jude Donor '10

Here are the results at 20K miles on a 2015 wetsump car that was broken in hard (properly) and factory oil drained at less than 500 miles and only full synthetic run (the DEXOS blend results in worse coking than full syn) and no mods on the car period.

Performed before and after dyno results to show the degradation in power from the intake valve coking:

Owner is now going to run another 20k miles with CoSPeed system installed and repeat all at 40k miles.

The more actual examples like this we can show, the better we can all see the real World actual effects and not just blindly believe what were told.

Old 06-23-2017, 01:02 PM
COSPEED
Melting Slicks

St. Jude Donor '10

And some more data:

"Final results of 2 year study

Here is a brief summary of what was documented in the 2 year testing by one of the Worlds largest Lubrication companies:

The XXX system was tested on the most severe engine on the road toady as far as GDI related issues. The testing was performed on a fleet of new vehicles including GM and others, but they only focused on the results of the Ford Ecoboost engines as they experience the most severe GDI related effects.

First, here is how the testing was performed. Each vehicle has been run through proper break-in and driven over 10k miles to eliminate ring seating variance, etc.

Then the vehicle would be run for app 5-6k miles on their premium full synthetic oil and a sample drawn...this is without our system installed. Then, our system is installed on that same oil fill, no oil change, and then run another 4-5k miles and another sample drawn and at that time oil is drained and changed.

Here are some examples on just viscosity and fuel dilution:

Miles on vehicle: 55060 Ford 3.5L Ecoboost

Miles on oil when sample drawn: 5,943 Fuel dilution: 5.6% Viscosity @40*C: 45.71 Viscosity @100*C: 8.76 (Now, vehicle is driven and sample drawn below)

Miles on oil when sample drawn: 9,411 Fuel dilution: 3.86% Viscosity @40*C: 46.98 Viscosity @100*C: 8.82 (Even AFTER saturation well above the industry 5% threshold where oil is considered "condemned" or no longer able to protect the engine our system was able to not only prevent further fuel dilution and viscosity degradation, but actually IMPROVED each taking the oil that was no longer usable and extending it's ability to protect far longer.

Now, that was the least dramatic result....some were as high as fuel dilution levels of 7% to above 12% by 5k miles (cold start enrichment in cool/cold conditions adds to dilution far quicker) and we were able to bring those levels down even more dramatically, in some cases by as much as 50% less after a few thousand miles WITH our system installed.

Other benefits documented: Average fuel economy increases of 1-3 MPG due to a cleaner burn with the contaminants removed from the PCV vapors as more energy is released with just air and fuel present during the combustion process. This also shows a significant reduction in knock retard as pre-ignition is reduced and combined with a cleaner burn in the combustion chamber, reduces emissions as well as improves fuel economy.

As our system converts the PCV system to full time evacuation and flushing VS part time as the OEM systems come and retains a closed emissions compliant system.

This prevents the stagnant periods of operation when the contaminants and combustion by-products that enter as blow-by and are the primary source of oil contamination and our system greatly reduces this by removing these at all times the engine is running utilizing 2 separate evacuation suction sources, the intake manifold vacuum for when reversion pluses are not canceling it out (during acceleration or hard operation no evacuation suction is present stock), and using the Venturi effect when accelerating or running high RPM/throttle.

On GDI engines (most all Automakers are now 100% GDI) we have the additional benefit of reducing the intake valve coking issue by as much as 85% (we cannot eliminate all as these engines use variable valve events to allow back filling of exhaust gasses back into the port behind the valves to be re-burnt emulating the outdated EGR system/valves of old.

To summarize, the benefits:

Engine life extended to 2-3 times expected life w.out the system installed.

Fuel economy increase of 1-3 MPG average.

Extended oil drain intervals allowing from 50% to 100% longer use of oil reducing pollution from improperly disposed of drain oil.

Reduced tailpipe emissions. As we remove most of the compounds causing a incomplete burn in the combustion process reducing the amount of emissions.

Reduction of intake valve deposits by as much as 85%.

The downside is these MUST be drained and the contents collected disposed of properly as with any drain oil. every 5k miles as a rule (will vary from engine to engine depending on state of piston ring seal to cylinder walls).

We do have a system that never needs to be emptied or service for in excess of 100k miles, but not released yet that could be retrofitted at a later date.

What is in the contents of the system that are removed from the engine crankcase vapors?

Here is a sample after a 2400 mile drain after being spun in a centrifuge to separate all for analysis:

70% was acidic water (the sulfuric acid produced during the combustion process cannot be separated from the water).
23% was raw fuel (GDI engines introduce fuel at well over 2,000 PSI and this pushes many times the amount past the rings of old port injection systems that operated at 45-50%)
and only 7% was actual oil, and it is saturated with abrasive particulate matter.

This other wise would have remained in the crankcase mixing with and contaminating the engine oil, and also contaminating the intake air charge reducing the over efficiency of the engines combustion process.

On Fleet applications, depending on miles driven the fuel economy and oil drain extensions give a ROI in app 6.7 months average. As a whole, these could drastically reduce overall emissions as well as tremendous savings on fuel cost and usage."

Only 1 of the vehicles was a GM 6.2 LT1 based, but the results were similar on all GDI engines tested.

Last edited by COSPEED; 06-23-2017 at 01:03 PM.
Old 06-23-2017, 03:21 PM
Rebel Yell
Le Mans Master

Received 2,639 Likes on 1,702 Posts

This was the same question asked when Ford started putting the EcoBoost in their trucks in 2011. As to date there hasn't been any problems posted about the coking causing any problems, and there are trucks there will well on 100K on the clocks. So, with that in mind I'm not going worry and just enjoy my C7. I know there are stats posted, but the real world experiences are what I'll go by.

Last edited by Rebel Yell; 06-23-2017 at 03:23 PM.
Old 06-23-2017, 04:03 PM
davepl
Le Mans Master

Received 1,500 Likes on 987 Posts

Allow me to ask a dumb question.

Why would I install a catch can, which voids my warranty, to fix a problem that would be corrected under warranty if it existed (and I have a 10 year warranty)?

This whole thread rubs me the wrong way. It should be marked as someone selling parts and solutions for an alleged but unproven problem, not disguised as some weird public service project. It's a commercial venture. And there's nothing wrong with that if it had been made clear:

"We're selling catch cans and here's why we think you need one"

I mean 50% of the threads in these forums is people selling stuff, I just think it should be more up front.

Last edited by davepl; 06-23-2017 at 04:04 PM.
Old 06-23-2017, 04:10 PM
TEXHAWK0
Le Mans Master

Received 787 Likes on 539 Posts

Originally Posted by DAVE396LT1

Why would I install a catch can, which voids my warranty, to fix a problem that would be corrected under warranty if it existed (and I have a 10 year warranty)?

This whole thread rubs me the wrong way. It should be marked as someone selling parts and solutions for an alleged but unproven problem, not disguised as some weird public service project. It's a commercial venture. And there's nothing wrong with that if it had been made clear:

I mean 50% of the threads in these forums is people selling stuff, I just think it should be more up front.
I agree, and no one has actually proven that catch cans solve the problem. Internal deposits can look really bad but never actual result in a problem with engine performance. It would be nice to have a spotless engine with no internal deposits, but most of us will sell the car and never know they were there.
Old 06-24-2017, 10:28 AM
COSPEED
Melting Slicks

St. Jude Donor '10

Originally Posted by Rebel Yell
This was the same question asked when Ford started putting the EcoBoost in their trucks in 2011. As to date there hasn't been any problems posted about the coking causing any problems, and there are trucks there will well on 100K on the clocks. So, with that in mind I'm not going worry and just enjoy my C7. I know there are stats posted, but the real world experiences are what I'll go by.
Not sure where your getting your information, but no one is forcing you to do anything to your car. This is only for those that do care about making their investment last. Here is a good video by one of the most respected Ford Master Tech's in the country that has worked closely with Ford engineers for years:

Originally Posted by DAVE396LT1

Of course we sell these and tons of other products, but this is one of the few products that has been proven to provide several benefits besides just power. Also, where are you thinking theses would void warranty? Yes, many "catchcans" will be grounds to void warranty if they in any way defeat or delete any of the functions or effectiveness of the Factory PCV system such as breather cans or tanks, etc. These retain ALL functions and closed system as well as enhance/improve the OEM systems functions. As they meet all Emissions guidelines (except no CA CARB cert yet) by Federal law, it cannot. That does not stop some unscrupulous dealers form hassling you, but you have the law on your side:

https://www.consumer.ftc.gov/article...ne-maintenance

Also, go back and read that summary...there were tons of benefits this 2 year study identified. And GDO engine warranties from the factory have been dropped from 100k miles of the past port injection engines to 60 and as low as 36k miles by many automakers due to these wear issues.

Originally Posted by TEXHAWK0
I agree, and no one has actually proven that catch cans solve the problem. Internal deposits can look really bad but never actual result in a problem with engine performance. It would be nice to have a spotless engine with no internal deposits, but most of us will sell the car and never know they were there.
And by all means, you can do as you choose with your car. You bought it, you do as you choose. This is ONLY for those that do care for their vehicle investment and have no intent to stick the next owner with the neglect. To date, I know of no one that has went to such extent to have outside, independent validation and verification of the benefits. And the before and after dyno documentation of the degradation of power alone IMHO is enough for the small investment, much less what has been learn about the fuel dilution and cylinder wash-down these engines experience.

So, for those that do care, and wish to learn all involved from a technical aspect, instead of just "sales pitches" and "because so and so said so", enter into some civil dialog here. These threads are to offer education as well as the opportunity to ask questions so you can understand why these engines are nothing like the engines you have been accustomed to in the past.
Old 06-24-2017, 02:20 PM
Rebel Yell
Le Mans Master

Received 2,639 Likes on 1,702 Posts

Originally Posted by COSPEED2
Not sure where your getting your information, but no one is forcing you to do anything to your car. This is only for those that do care about making their investment last. Here is a good video by one of the most respected Ford Master Tech's in the country that has worked closely with Ford engineers for years:

:
I'm just going by what I see on the F-150 forum concerning the EcoBoost engines my friend. To this date no one has started a discussion about coking causing them any problems with engines having over 100K on the clock. I'm not trying to discount your research in any way, just speaking to what I'm hearing.
Old 06-24-2017, 06:21 PM
COSPEED
Melting Slicks

St. Jude Donor '10

Originally Posted by Rebel Yell
I'm just going by what I see on the F-150 forum concerning the EcoBoost engines my friend. To this date no one has started a discussion about coking causing them any problems with engines having over 100K on the clock. I'm not trying to discount your research in any way, just speaking to what I'm hearing.
Did you watch those video's? I know of no other Ford tech with the experience with the Ecoboost as he has. Very few people on forums actually understand much of this, and if you look at the before and after dyno runs done on the C7 with 20k miles, 19 RWHP regained at that low of miles is pretty telling.

If you want to see more than the 2 year study and the videos explaining all of the coking issues, let me know. Have tons of examples.
The following users liked this post:
Rebel Yell (06-25-2017)
Old 06-24-2017, 10:06 PM
vettetwo
Pro

Received 150 Likes on 92 Posts

Originally Posted by COSPEED2
Also, go back and read that summary...there were tons of benefits this 2 year study identified. And GDO engine warranties from the factory have been dropped from 100k miles of the past port injection engines to 60 and as low as 36k miles by many automakers due to these wear issues.
Which automakers have dropped warranties to 36K miles?
Old 06-25-2017, 11:09 AM
COSPEED
Melting Slicks

St. Jude Donor '10

The measure that occurs first determines how long your coverage lasts.
For example: Your Bumper to Bumper Coverage lasts for three years -
unless you drive more than 36,000 miles before three years elapse. In
that case, your coverage ends at 36,000 miles.

And BMW

Vehicle Limited Warranty Powertrain Warranty Corrosion Protection Roadside Assistance Complimentary Scheduled Maintenance
2018 Chevrolet Equinox 3 years / 36,000 miles 5 years / 60,000 miles 6 years / 100,000 miles 5 years / 60,000 miles 2 years / 24,000 miles
2017 Ford Escape 3 years / 36,000 miles 5 years / 60,000 miles 5 years (unlimited miles) 5 years / 60,000 miles None
2017 Kia Sportage 5 years / 60,000 miles 10 years / 100,000 miles 5 years / 100,000 miles 5 years / 60,000 miles None
2017 Honda CR-V 3 years / 36,000 miles 5 years / 60,000 miles 5 years (unlimited miles) 3 years / 36,000 miles None
2017 Jeep Cherokee 3 years / 36,000 miles 5 years / 60,000 miles 5 years (unlimited miles) 5 years / 60,000 miles None

New Vehicle Limited Warranty period of 4 years or 50,000 miles.

Most are dropped from 100k to 50-60k, but several for 2018 are dropping to 36k.

No grammar criticism this post?

Can you stick to the technical discussion? That is the purpose of the threads we started, and your constant interference to side track it all is getting old please. We are asking you again to please not interfere in these threads. You have made your intent perfectly clear that you only wish to disrupt these. As a supporting vendor on this forum we have rules to follow as you do as a member, and your constant interference is breaking those rules. Please stop the constant harassment of our threads. You are welcome to start your own and post as you please, but please stay out of ours.

Quick Reply: C7 owners that are mechanically inclined!!