Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Sound deadener and tires that make less noise

Old 10-28-2015, 06:26 PM
jasonn5
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Default Sound deadener and tires that make less noise

Looking for a good sound deadener for my C7. Have way to much tire noise in the cabin. It is louder than my C6 Z06. Also have 19 and 20 on the car. The stock tires are rock hard at 30psi. Any brand of tire with a larger sidewall then the runlets on there now and a little bit softer ride. Thanks Mike
Old 10-28-2015, 06:55 PM
Glen e
Race Director

Received 907 Likes on 473 Posts
Tech Contributor

many of us have done it, The bulkhead behind the seats is the major source that most of the sound is coming into the cabin. Search here for "fatmat"
Old 10-28-2015, 07:07 PM
C8Jake
Race Director

Received 5,415 Likes on 2,535 Posts

Rattle Trap Xtreme, Lloyds Ultimat + BFG non run flats

Last edited by C8Jake; 11-25-2015 at 07:19 PM.
Old 10-28-2015, 07:18 PM
Rooster OG
Le Mans Master

Received 1,694 Likes on 1,240 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15

Forum vendor exotic vette makes a precut kit with instructions for the c7 if you don't feel like hunting down everything. I installed their kit and it really cut down the road noise, I highly recommend it.

http://www.exoticvette.com
Old 10-28-2015, 07:19 PM
rmorin1249
Le Mans Master

Received 1,738 Likes on 1,174 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15-'16,'18

Originally Posted by Glen e
many of us have done it, The bulkhead behind the seats is the major source that most of the sound is coming into the cabin. Search here for "fatmat"
Glen e: how much fatmat is required to do just the bulkhead? Thanks.
Old 10-28-2015, 07:20 PM
460HP-YLO-JAKT
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 36 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by Glen e
Didn't come up with anything on SEARCH for fatmat. Is there a how to write up some place and what thickness are folks using? Thank you.
Old 10-28-2015, 07:21 PM
Glen e
Race Director

Received 907 Likes on 473 Posts
Tech Contributor

Originally Posted by rmorin1249

Not much, just measure the bulkhead on the outside....maybe 20 sq ft? Heres my thread, there are many that are more involved:

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...sound-mat.html

Last edited by Glen e; 10-28-2015 at 07:23 PM.
Old 10-28-2015, 07:50 PM
nmvettec7
Safety Car

Received 850 Likes on 493 Posts

Originally Posted by rmorin1249
Randall:

I purchased a roll of 50 sq ft from Amazon. I did the entire bulkhead with 2 layers and the rear cargo hatch and side wheel wells from the inside with 1 later.

I used approximately 30 sq ft to complete the entire job and have about 20 sq ft left over.

If your only going to do the bulkhead behind the seats, I suggest a roll of 25 sq ft. It will do the job and you will have some left over.
Old 10-28-2015, 10:39 PM
Maxie2U
Le Mans Master

Received 4,128 Likes on 2,234 Posts

Originally Posted by jasonn5
Looking for a good sound deadener for my C7. Have way to much tire noise in the cabin. It is louder than my C6 Z06. Also have 19 and 20 on the car. The stock tires are rock hard at 30psi. Any brand of tire with a larger sidewall then the runlets on there now and a little bit softer ride. Thanks Mike
Road noise increase with tread ware. How many miles do you have on your tires?

My car is new and I am really surprised how quit the cabin is. Heck, I can hardly heard my performance exhaust!
Old 10-29-2015, 12:17 AM
TKO Performance
Premium Supporting Vendor

Received 279 Likes on 222 Posts
St. Jude Donor '07-'08-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17

Originally Posted by jasonn5
You might want to consider the Blockit "Quick & Quiet" mats. Quiets down your interior in seconds.
The pre cut mats drop in right on top of your existing carpet.

* Reduce Interior Noise In Seconds
* Takes The Edge Off Tire/Road Noise & Some Aftermarket Exhausts.
* No Ripping Up Your Carpet/Interior
* Pre - Cut & Lays Right Over Your Factory Carpet. Fits your Stingray or Z06
* The Blockit is a 3 Piece System - (1 piece for behind each seat. 1 large piece for the cargo area/trunk for the convertible).
* The Blockit uses 4 layers of REAL acoustical material. (This is NOT a simple foam layer with foil!)
* The top black vinyl layer is UV protected. Looks great & its durable so you can still use your cargo & truck area.
* The C7 Blockit has custom "cut outs" for the coupes cargo hooks!
* The product is made in the USA
* Follows Automotive guidelines & manufactured under strict ISO 9001-2008 standards!
* The Blockit also acts as a heat barrier. It helps prevent some heat that comes up through the cargo area.

We have a sale thread running. Check it out here:

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...n-seconds.html

However if your into lifting the carpet, we also have DeadMats!

Blockit “Dead Mats” 18” x 32”
(Sold in packs of 2, 5, 9 sheets)
• Extremely effective at eliminating unwanted vibrations, noise & rattling!
• Light Weight!
• Performance to weight ratio is amazing!
• Improve your audio’s sound quality!
• Textured top layer looks great once installed!
• Very durable. Won’t rip, tear or break down overtime!
• Helps reduce heat!
• Simple peel and stick application!
• Apply to any make or model where it’s needed!
• No smell!
• Manufactured under strict ISO & automotive regulations!
• Made in the USA!

Check it out here:
http://store.tkoperformance.com/20142016.html

Good luck with whatever you choose!
Old 10-29-2015, 01:44 PM
djpatrick35
Drifting

Received 32 Likes on 25 Posts

I bought the TKO mats and was pleasantly surprised by how much it worked to quiet my car down. I may still put down the Blockit sound deadener, but the TKO mats actually quieted down the car quite a bit and it took me all of about 5 minutes to lift the carpet in my garage to put the mats behind the seats.

If you're a tall guy who needs to go ALL the way back like I do, when you put the dead mats down, you will need to unhook the pressure switch otherwise the tight fit you had before won't be the same.

Frankly, this shouldn't be on us to do. I would be willing to bet that some of us would be willing to give up 5-10 pounds of weight or even a little money through options to have these cars have less road noise. When I lifted the carpet, I was dumbfounded by the lack of insulation, sound deadener or ANYTHING on the floor of the car. My car was a $70,000 car before Callaway got its hands on it and there was NOTHING to keep out road noise?! C'mon, GM!
The following users liked this post:
TKO Performance (10-30-2015)
Old 10-29-2015, 09:07 PM
2016SGZ51
Instructor

Received 37 Likes on 22 Posts

Has anyone actually measured the noise before and after installation of various sound deadening mats?

My coupe shows 75-80 dB's at 60 mph over "normal" roads.
The noise level of traffic, vacuums and alarm clocks according to the
sound meter app on my phone.

Makes it hard to hear the radio without turning it up way loud.

Last edited by 2016SGZ51; 10-29-2015 at 09:08 PM.
Old 10-30-2015, 03:36 AM
graj6
Burning Brakes

Received 353 Likes on 259 Posts

Originally Posted by djpatrick35
I bought the TKO mats and was pleasantly surprised by how much it worked to quiet my car down. I may still put down the Blockit sound deadener, but the TKO mats actually quieted down the car quite a bit and it took me all of about 5 minutes to lift the carpet in my garage to put the mats behind the seats.

If you're a tall guy who needs to go ALL the way back like I do, when you put the dead mats down, you will need to unhook the pressure switch otherwise the tight fit you had before won't be the same.

Frankly, this shouldn't be on us to do. I would be willing to bet that some of us would be willing to give up 5-10 pounds of weight or even a little money through options to have these cars have less road noise. When I lifted the carpet, I was dumbfounded by the lack of insulation, sound deadener or ANYTHING on the floor of the car. My car was a $70,000 car before Callaway got its hands on it and there was NOTHING to keep out road noise?! C'mon, GM!
I'm not sure what the feature is called, but does having the behind-seat sections of the sound deadening mat impede the easy-exit feature?

Also, a general question, how easy are the Blockit Deadmats to install. It says Peel and Stick but are they precut or does a customer have to do the cutting themselves? And will the carpeting over the behind-seat sections go back over it without trouble once the installation is done?
Old 11-01-2015, 12:23 AM
djpatrick35
Drifting

Originally Posted by graj6
I'm not sure what the feature is called, but does having the behind-seat sections of the sound deadening mat impede the easy-exit feature?

Also, a general question, how easy are the Blockit Deadmats to install. It says Peel and Stick but are they precut or does a customer have to do the cutting themselves? And will the carpeting over the behind-seat sections go back over it without trouble once the installation is done?
When I disconnected the pressure switch, it really didn't do anything but allow me to move the seat further back. The steering wheel still goes back in like it used to and the seat still moves like it used to.

The difference is, now that I have the memory setting further than the original factory limit, I have to press the button to get it back because I'm so tall. This is one of the times I do wish I would've stopped at 6'5"!

There's no adhesive at all. I lifted the carpet and put the squares back in under the carpet after I unplugged the pressure switch. If I was supposed to cut it... Well oops... But, it works fine and sounds a lot better and you couldn't tell from stock. It took all of a couple of minutes.

Last edited by djpatrick35; 11-01-2015 at 12:24 AM.
Old 11-01-2015, 01:17 AM
HANNY
Safety Car

Received 156 Likes on 105 Posts

on my 2016 I hear a lot of road noise right behind me ear level, seems like its coming from around the a pillar. on my C6 I took the inside stuff out completely and used dynamat type stuff (they sell pipe insulation stuff at lowes that's real similar and pretty cheap) and it made a huge difference so maybe time to start tearing stuff apart, lol
Old 11-01-2015, 09:08 AM
beepster
Melting Slicks

Received 50 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by HANNY
on my 2016 I hear a lot of road noise right behind me ear level, seems like its coming from around the a pillar. on my C6 I took the inside stuff out completely and used dynamat type stuff (they sell pipe insulation stuff at lowes that's real similar and pretty cheap) and it made a huge difference so maybe time to start tearing stuff apart, lol
I have the Blockit kit which custom fits in the cargo area fine. However, the pieces that fit behind the seats are too short and ineffective...do the dead mats correct this??
Old 11-03-2015, 03:46 PM
TKO Performance
Premium Supporting Vendor

Received 279 Likes on 222 Posts
St. Jude Donor '07-'08-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17

Originally Posted by beepster
I have the Blockit kit which custom fits in the cargo area fine. However, the pieces that fit behind the seats are too short and ineffective...do the dead mats correct this??
DeadMats do take it to another level. You could place them anywhere.

(Under seats & up the tunnel wall )

(Behind seats)

Last edited by TKO Performance; 11-03-2015 at 03:47 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To Sound deadener and tires that make less noise

Old 11-24-2015, 02:08 PM
djpatrick35
Drifting

I'm going to throw this out there and, as a person who rather likes the product you have now, you can tell me to go to hell and I would be OK with it. BUT, as Beepster said, the seat pieces are kind of ill-fitting. For my tall ***, it kind of threw off the fitment of the seats and I had to unplug the delimiter for the first time.

SO, if you guys could sell one big custom cut sound deadener piece that would fit the entirety of that back wall of the tub, and had a little channel cut for the delimiter, I would be first in line. Or, maybe two pieces that PERFECTLY fit the back of the seats.

But, if they're cut perfectly, they're going to be idiot (me)-proof, they're going to block more sound, and I'd bet we'd pay a bit more for it.
Old 11-24-2015, 02:10 PM
graj6
Burning Brakes

Received 353 Likes on 259 Posts

I'm going to throw this out there and, as a person who rather likes the product you have now, you can tell me to go to hell and I would be OK with it. BUT, as Beepster said, the seat pieces are kind of ill-fitting. For my tall ***, it kind of threw off the fitment of the seats and I had to unplug the delimiter for the first time.

SO, if you guys could sell one big custom cut sound deadener piece that would fit the entirety of that back wall of the tub, and had a little channel cut for the delimiter, I would be first in line. Or, maybe two pieces that PERFECTLY fit the back of the seats.

But, if they're cut perfectly, they're going to be idiot (me)-proof, they're going to block more sound, and I'd bet we'd pay a bit more for it.
Saw them in a coworker's C7 and I kinda agree here. When I get a C7, I'd pay for a behind-the-seat piece like you're describing.
Old 11-24-2015, 03:28 PM
beepster
Melting Slicks

Received 50 Likes on 30 Posts

Roger that.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Sound deadener and tires that make less noise