Wow, I got a deal!

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2015, 07:11 PM
speedlink
Safety Car

Received 599 Likes on 373 Posts

Originally Posted by 94Lt1Vette
Unfortunately your math is just wrong.

They paid dealer invoice, in this case 75,641.00. Supplier pricing is not the pricing the supplier (dealer) pays, it's a special deal GM has with its suppliers (to GM) for pricing (like Employee Pricing).

You paid invoice. The dealer walked away with $2200 on the deal plus whatever extras you bought (if any).
Old 10-29-2015, 07:17 PM
OVR60
Burning Brakes

Received 105 Likes on 91 Posts

Originally Posted by Black&White
Dealer also has a 3% hold back. If the Dealer lets you drive the car off his lot he made plenty of money off of you.
What will be the trade in value, that is when the dealer makes his money on the car. Just hope it is one of the perfect cars that so many buyers have.
Old 10-29-2015, 09:56 PM
phileaglesfan
Race Director

Received 164 Likes on 129 Posts

Sounds like a great deal but you just mentioned the MSRP, suppliers and invoice price. If you got it for around suppliers price then it is a good deal, invoice or below and it is great. In the end it doesn't matter.

And yes Z51 Coupe prices can hit $85k MSRP pretty easily. $500 here, $1-3k here and there, it all adds up in the end.
Old 10-29-2015, 09:58 PM
efarley
Racer

Received 61 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by PegasusCapital
OP, I'm not sure of the reason for you starting this thread? If you get a "great deal" when you actually finalize the deal, then good for you. You should be proud of yourself. When you have the final details of the "deal" and if you'd like to share them with us then please do so. More importantly, we'd love to see some pictures of what you've actually purchased and learn more about how you plan to enjoy your great car.
All this BS about what dealers make or lose on transactions is just nonsense. They're not in business to lose money and all of the dealers I know are doing quite well.
I'm not sure why you think I haven't finalized the details simply because I haven't signed the line. Everything is finalized and just waiting for my signature.

I think a lot of people in this thread are under the misconception that my dealer told me they're losing money and I believed them. They didn't say anything I'm simply going off the numbers on the loan document provided to the bank to show them the prices/options on the car. I also fully understand that while they may or may not have taken a lose on my sale in the long run they did it to make money as selling this car got them more allotments and more sales in the future. Sometimes in business you need to lose a little money to make a lot of money. Guess not everyone understands that.

Since you asked nicely I just got back from inspecting that car at the dealer so here's some pictures

Now begins the long wait until I can pick the car up which most likely won't be until Wednesday since evidently only one person at the dealer can do the delivery and he's off monday/tuesday...
Old 10-29-2015, 10:03 PM
efarley
Racer

Originally Posted by phileaglesfan
Sounds like a great deal but you just mentioned the MSRP, suppliers and invoice price. If you got it for around suppliers price then it is a good deal, invoice or below and it is great. In the end it doesn't matter.

And yes Z51 Coupe prices can hit $85k MSRP pretty easily. $500 here, $1-3k here and there, it all adds up in the end.
I paid invoice.
Old 10-29-2015, 10:11 PM
LT1 Z51
Corvette Enthusiast
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 921 Likes on 614 Posts

First off some things to note: (probably already covered).

On true supplier and GM Employee sales the dealer gets a "kick back" (I think they call it a hold back) from GM, which is pure profit.

That being said dealers don't pay invoice for cars. That's true they were invoiced that amount but GM has lots of financial deals (but these other cars, dealer cash, holdbacks, etc) that let the dealers make money.

What REALLY matters is the amount your Sales Tax is calculated off. That's what you "paid" for the car (rebates, employee and supplier discounts, dealer cash, etc are just "money down" at signing, only the money comes out of someone else's pocket not yours, but technically you still "paid" it).
Old 10-29-2015, 11:27 PM
meyerweb
Safety Car

Received 483 Likes on 320 Posts

Originally Posted by efarley
Lol obviously the dealer = supplier and invoice is the price they're invoicing me.

In layman's terms that means the dealer pays the supplier price and I'm paying the invoice.
You do not understand what supplier and invoice mean, I'm afraid.
Old 10-29-2015, 11:56 PM
scottsh
Pro

Received 36 Likes on 27 Posts

I will add that at the end of a month/quarter/year, you can get the dealer to give you a deal where they lose money on that car. Why? Because they get bonus payments for moving a certain number of cars and if you happen to be car #120 and they need to sell 122 you can get a deal. The dealership made money because of the large bonus check, but on that particular car they lost money.

I have a friend who always purchases a new car by going into a dealership and telling the sales manager that he's willing to buy a particular car (at a price that loses money for the dealer) and to call him if he needs to sell it. It has worked when the dealer gets to the end of a month or quarter and needs the sale. I'm not sure it would work for a Corvette unless it was one they simply couldn't sell easily for some reason (maybe a customer ordered car with a strange option selection that the purchaser cancelled.)
Old 10-30-2015, 12:16 AM
dmvette
Racer

Received 99 Likes on 73 Posts

Nice looking car! Enjoy the ride when you get it and I'm sure most of these comments will be just a blur after you get going down the road.
Old 10-30-2015, 12:20 AM
PA_BLUE_C6
Pro

Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05-'10-'12, '15

Originally Posted by Elba Mike
And to think I paid $400 for my first car.
Got a '55 chevy 2d sedan for $500 in '66. My dad said I overpaid and you proved his point.........
Old 10-30-2015, 12:33 AM
efarley
Racer

Originally Posted by dmvette
Nice looking car! Enjoy the ride when you get it and I'm sure most of these comments will be just a blur after you get going down the road.
Thanks! They were always just a blur lol haters gonna hate, trolls gonna troll. If I couldn't handle it I wouldn't be on the internet

I actually enjoyed the guys trying to say I got ripped off because I could afford to buy the car with options. It made me laugh. I see an unoptioned 1lt and I think it's cheep Crap, a poor mans vette, but hey to each their own. Both are just as fun to drive at the end of the day and I'm sure we're both driving around with the same ridiculous grins on our faces.

Last edited by efarley; 10-30-2015 at 12:39 AM.
Old 10-30-2015, 12:59 AM
dmvette
Racer

Received 99 Likes on 73 Posts

Still need 100 miles for mine (2016 2LT LBR A8) to be officially broke in but the smile started at mile 3 right off the dealers parking lot.
I bet if you said you was picking one up for free, there would be at least one or more comment questioning the whole deal but hey, it makes for some interesting reading sometimes!!!
Old 10-30-2015, 08:11 AM
GreenGA
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 115 Likes on 96 Posts

Originally Posted by phileaglesfan

Boy, do you have the right!!! Go for a Vert Z51, 3LT and one of those packages, for example Spice Red, and you're at 80k before you start adding any of the other goodies.

Old 10-30-2015, 09:46 AM
DAFFYDRUNK
Melting Slicks

Received 289 Likes on 238 Posts

Originally Posted by efarley
Thanks! They were always just a blur lol haters gonna hate, trolls gonna troll. If I couldn't handle it I wouldn't be on the internet

I actually enjoyed the guys trying to say I got ripped off because I could afford to buy the car with options. It made me laugh. I see an unoptioned 1lt and I think it's cheep Crap, a poor mans vette, but hey to each their own. Both are just as fun to drive at the end of the day and I'm sure we're both driving around with the same ridiculous grins on our faces.
Nice. Those of use who chose 1LT drive cheap crap? Stay classy.
Old 10-30-2015, 10:15 AM
cor66vette
Le Mans Master

Received 1,308 Likes on 690 Posts
C3 of Year Finalist (stock) 2019
C2 of Year Finalist (stock) 2019

Just enjoy the car.
Old 10-30-2015, 10:39 AM
TennisFreak
Burning Brakes

Received 76 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by RACE U
You apparently have no clue as to the pricing on a new z06.
Really?

LOL you can get a Z06 for $75k if you know how to work a deal my friend.
Old 10-30-2015, 11:04 AM
MeloC7
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Many of the responses on this thread leave me scratching my head. The OP simply stated that he got a great deal. I think he did. He obviously wanted a over the top, fully optioned Z51. That's what he got. He never stated that he got a better deal than any of us, only that he got a great deal on the car that he wanted. Good for him. Arguing over the best way to buy (new/used), options, trim levels is pointless. Value is subjective.
The following users liked this post:
TennisFreak (10-30-2015)

Get notified of new replies

To Wow, I got a deal!

Old 10-30-2015, 11:57 AM
Never-Enough
Le Mans Master

Received 82 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by Black&White
Dealer also has a 3% hold back. If the Dealer lets you drive the car off his lot he made plenty of money off of you.
Old 10-30-2015, 12:13 PM
JoesC5
Team Owner

Received 1,699 Likes on 1,213 Posts

Originally Posted by LS3 MN6
First off some things to note: (probably already covered).

On true supplier and GM Employee sales the dealer gets a "kick back" (I think they call it a hold back) from GM, which is pure profit.

That being said dealers don't pay invoice for cars. That's true they were invoiced that amount but GM has lots of financial deals (but these other cars, dealer cash, holdbacks, etc) that let the dealers make money.

What REALLY matters is the amount your Sales Tax is calculated off. That's what you "paid" for the car (rebates, employee and supplier discounts, dealer cash, etc are just "money down" at signing, only the money comes out of someone else's pocket not yours, but technically you still "paid" it).

The dealer gets a 3% holdback on every new vehicle they sell, no matter if the sale price is for over MSRP, exactly MSRP, under MSRP, supplier, or employee pricing. That 3% is not included in the "invoice" price of the vehicle, as holdbacks on all the vehicles sold by the dealer are added together and paid to the dealer at a later time( kind of like a Christmas bonus).

The holdback is not related in any way, to the selling price of the vehicle. Every new vehicle sold gets the dealer a check for 3% of the MSRP, no matter what the dealer actually sold the car for.

A new Corvette with an $80,000 MSRP gets the dealer a holdback check for $2,400, even if it was actually sold for, say, $70,000.

What's with all the mumbo jumbo about the what I paid of the car being what I paid sales tax, on. What if I traded in my 2009 Z06 and my 1964 Corvette and they allowed me $100,000 trade in on a new C7 Z06 that had a MSRP of $100,000? Even swap, thus no sales tax was paid in Missouri(where I live). Does that mean I got the car for free? I don't think so, since I had to give the dealer my C6 Z06 and my '64 Vette.

Or, how about if I lived in DE, MT, OR or NH, where they don't have a sales tax. If I gave the dealer $100,000 for the Z06 and I paid no sales tax, does that mean I got the Z06 for free? I don't think so, as my checking account would be short $100,000.

When I bought my C6 Z06, it had a MSRP of $80,015 and I got it with (a legal true employee price of $69, 0038.33) with an additional $75 DOC fee. That was the selling price of the car. I then asked the salesman what they would give me for my 1998 C5(selling price of the 2009 Z06 was not based on any trade in.)

The dealer's used car lot said they would give me $17,575 for my C5(the extra $75 was to offset the required $75 they had to add on to the employee price of the Z06). That price was deducted from the $69,038.33 and I paid sales tax on$51,538.33.

I could have purchased the Z06 for the $69,038.33 and paid it with a check for $68,058.33. Then six months later I could have sold my C5 for $17,538.33 to my neighbor(and received a rebate check back from the DMV for the amount of sales tax on the $17,538.33. Seven moths later and I wouldn't have received a rebate check from the DMV.

Either way, the price I paid for my Z06, was $69,038.33, not $51,038.33.

PS- the dealer got a holdback check for $2,400.45(3% of the $80,015 MSRP of the car).

I do agree with you that the price the dealer paid for the car was not the so called "invoice" price, as there are all kinds of incentives, advertising costs, etc that is not posted to the general public.

Last edited by JoesC5; 10-30-2015 at 12:55 PM.
Old 10-30-2015, 12:46 PM
rcooper
Safety Car

Received 676 Likes on 480 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15

Raining today and really slow at work...read every post. Better than watching SNL. The OP got a nice car at a good price. Posted the information wrong and got slammed, gotta love the internet and car forums.
Now that he has been corrected about 80 times I am sure that he gives a crap about what gets posted. There is to much envy showing up here.
OP, glad you got a good deal and I know that you are going to love the car. Only wish that I could have gotten my '15 at dealer invoice. I did, however, get it at supplier pricing which was sweet, so miles of smiles and save the wave.

Quick Reply: Wow, I got a deal!