Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Completed 3,000 mile road trip: Impressions vs. Expectations

Old 10-29-2015, 12:06 PM
Hopper12
Melting Slicks

Received 2,060 Likes on 980 Posts
Default Completed 3,000 mile road trip: Impressions vs. Expectations

My wife and I recently completed a 3000 mile road trip thru Utah, Idaho, Washington, and Oregon. Lots of mountain driving, and high speed limits (except Oregon). Our C7 is a ’15 DSOM Z51 coupe; MRC; PDR; 2LT; A8. I wanted to share a few observations that may be interesting to those considering a new C7 as well as current owners. Really sorry this is a bit long, but I want to repay others for the great help you provided me when I was trying to decide whether or not to buy a C7. Here goes:

Overall gas mileage: We left UT and were just into Idaho when my wife said we should stop for gas. I told her that we still had over ½ tank. She said ‘no way’, but then looked at the gauge and asked ‘how do you do that?’ I told her it gets over 30 mpg on the highway – then proceeded to show here the mpg info. She was amazed. Even with all the fast mountain driving, we averaged over 27 mpg for the entire trip. Outstanding.

Driving modes: drove most of the time in ‘Tour’ to soften it up a bit. Nice to change modes when we wanted – in fact, my wife encouraged me to switch to Track when going thru towns so she could enjoy the exhaust note more. Gotta love that.

V4 to V8 changeover: I’ve heard some forum members complain about the switchover from V8 to V4 mode and back. For a test, I temporarily changed the gauges so we could see when it moved between V8 and V4, and at times my wife would watch it and say ‘I guess I missed that’. I think it’s a great feature to improve mileage, and it’s almost always imperceptible.

A8: I don’t want to get into the M7 vs. A8 discussion – for me it’s to each their own. For those who want an M7, that’s great and I respect that. I’ve had a lot of manual cars, and wanted an automatic this time. Some forum members have complained about anomalies with their A8, and I’m truly sorry for them. We’ve never had any issues at all, and it’s the best automatic I’ve ever had. Shifts fast, always finds the right gear, if you’re shifting manually it doesn’t hesitate when you hit the paddle – it shifts right away, easy to enjoy. Interestingly, my wife’s ’15 Yukon Denali has an A8 and there is a TSB for a hard shift issue – she’s noticed it twice and we’re taking it in for the programming upgrade.

Performance Exhaust: quiet in touring mode, but even in Tour when you get on it to pass someone on a two lane road it opens up and sounds great. Lots of smiles from that. My wife said I got a big grin every time I came up on a slower car on a two lane road. But I think secretly she did too. I really like the performance exhaust flexibility.

Performance: I remember one thread where someone suggested that the non-Z06 C7 might be considered underpowered. Really? Stock these cars turn high 11’s in the quarter. I think my wife summed it up best after I passed two cars on a two lane road: ‘does this thing go as fast from 0-60 as it does from 50-100’? I asked her why and she said: ‘when you passed those cars you barely got after it for a couple of seconds and we were going 103 before you backed off’. I would say 'not underpowered at all'.

Did we see other vettes?: Something really cool happened. My cousin and his wife, who live in Seattle, were planning on meeting us in Winthrop WA for 3 days. They own a ’15 base VY, 2LT – a beautiful car. In fact, sitting in their car last December is what really pushed me over the edge to get one. It just so happened that the Seattle Corvette Club was coming to Winthrop for an overnight trip on the Saturday my cousin was coming out to meet us – so they came in the club caravan. 23 Corvettes – mostly C5, 6, but also a handful of C7s. Really nice people, and a lot of fun! Other than the Seattle Club cars, we only saw about 10 Corvettes during the entire trip – but the Corvette wave is alive and well.

Mechanical issues? None. I’ve heard of a few forum members having issues with oil consumption – ours was the same level when we got home as when we left.

Damage to our C7? I figured we get some road rash on the front end and mirrors, and maybe some window chips. I gave up on bras and other forms of film protection some time ago. We ended up with two very minor stone chips in the windshield, and two minor chips on the front that will be easy to fix with my touch up kit. The skirts worked great to keep the rockers clean and free from chips.

Transparent top: We have two tops – painted and transparent. We took the transparent top and really enjoyed the more open feeling it gives the interior, and being able to view the mountains, etc. thru the top. Never any glare problem from the sun. I’ve read of some forum members complaining of high interior temps with the transparent top when compared to painted tops – but I dispelled that issue for myself a couple of months ago by leaving the car in the hot sun for 2 hours with each top on a 96 degree day and measuring the interior temperature. The interior with the painted top was 2 degrees cooler – that’s within a margin of error. Hot is hot – doesn’t matter which top you have on when it bakes in the hot sun. That said, we had no issues on the mid-80 degree days on this trip. We just left the windows down for a mile or so while the A/C did its job and then put the windows back up. I love the transparent top – anyone want to buy a DSOM painted top? I’ll never use it. We took a nice drive with the top off up the North Cascades Highway on a beautiful sunny day.

Luggage space: We contemplated getting a convert, but although they have really good storage for a convertible, we needed the extra space for our planned two week trips. I found some bags that really worked well and got two large bags to pack most of our stuff. The large bags have other smaller bags that you pack like items in (such as shirts in one, underwear, pants, shorts, etc.) and the smaller bags line up inside the larger bags. The large bags have a shoe storage area that’s accessible from the outside of the bag. Very handy. This made it really easy to pack. If you’re interested, here is the Amazon link:
Amazon.com: Travel Duffel Bag For Women Men And Kids - Lightweight Foldable Duffle Bags 27" - BLACK: Clothing Amazon.com: Travel Duffel Bag For Women Men And Kids - Lightweight Foldable Duffle Bags 27" - BLACK: Clothing
I put two cinch straps on each large bag to provide extra small footprints.
You can really stuff a lot of luggage in the coupes. In addition to the two large bags, we fit a small cooler, large ‘goodie’ basket, a roll aboard bag, my computer bag, camera bag, soft bag with car cleaning stuff, fly fishing equipment (2 rods, waders, boots, guide pack, etc.), dress bag, and various other stuff.
Another item that really helps when loading and unloading baggage over the spoiler and rear bumper is this item: http://www.corvettemods.com/C7-Corve...or_p_9204.html . It worked great to protect the paint – also doubled as a cover for all the stuff under that hatch so no one could see what was loaded in the car.

Visibility: Not an issue at all. Just adjust the outside mirrors so they are really pointed at the next lanes, and I never had an issue. Interestingly, as loaded as the car was, I could always still see out of the rear window.

Attract attention: We’ve been blessed to have some pretty cool cars over the years, but none of them attracted attention like the C7 does. This was the first real trip my wife had taken in the C7, and after the first 3-4 stops at rest areas and for gas she asked me ‘if it was always like this?’ What she meant is that wherever we stopped, people would always come over and ask about the car, complement the color, ask how it drives, look at/sit in the interior, etc. While we were in Winthrop WA we left our car parked in town next to our cousin’s VY C7. We were walking back to our cars after eating and shopping, and a glass artist shop owner came out and – jokingly – said we were killing his business because our cars were parked on the other side of the street from his store and everyone was going over there to get their pictures taken with our cars. We had a nice conversation with him. I guess the reason he knew they were our cars is that two of us had Corvette hats on.

Navigation system: Really like the way the navigation works with the HUD, dash, and info screen. Very well done there. Directions were accurate. The voice recognition is pretty good – better than CUE in our SRX, as good as my wife’s Yukon Denali, but still far from perfect. But I wish the OEMs would just partner with Google and make it work like our phones do.

Squeaks, rattles: First, as mentioned I have two tops. They both creak (my dealer has ordered all the parts to fix both of them). I took the normal measures, as well as some hard foam pads of different widths that I could put under the handles, and the creaking was almost non-existent. Other than that, no squeaks or rattles from anywhere.

Interior noise level: A few months ago I installed Crazy Cowboy’s extreme sound deadening kit. I published a thread with the before/after results (measured a 2-3 dB improvement). Both my wife and I were very pleased with the noise levels, ability to easily carry on a conversation, while still being able to enjoy the great exhaust note when we’d get after it.

Driver Information flexibility: the amount of information that is at our fingertips in these cars is phenomenal. Still learning about all the options, but I like the different configurations we can program.

Driving in poor weather: On our first day, we ran into heavy storms for 4-5 hours of the day, in quite a bit of traffic on the freeways thru UT/ID/OR. No problems at all. Traction control and other nannies worked perfectly to help keep us safe from knucklehead drivers, and we had good visibility at all times.

Did my wife like the car? This was the first real trip she had taken in the car. We always take 2 week road trips in the fall, and have never taken a 2 seater – the past 8 falls have been a CTS-V (2), Maserati (2), Escalade, SRX, Range Rover Sport (2). She knew that I really wanted to take the C7, but gently tried to talk me into taking a larger vehicle because she’s not used to ‘having her rear scrape the ground’.  After the first few hours of the trip, she started giving complements. Liked the transparent top, the comfort of the seats, was surprised how much we could pack in the car, liked the performance, etc. The car won her over, and she’ll take it again in a heartbeat.

Seat and leg comfort: I test drove a C7 with the performance buckets. Really like the looks and wanted to get them. But, they just didn’t fit me well so I opted for 2LT with the stock seats. I’m 6’2” and 210 lbs, and the seats were great. Wife is 5’2” and 120 lbs and she really liked them too. Several longer days of driving (longest day was over 800 miles) with no issues at all. I could use about 1-2” more leg room at the peddles, but that’s just me and it was no big deal at all.

Overall impression: The only mechanical issue we’ve had since we bought it new is the ‘Red X’. Our dealer read up on it right after it was delivered, called me in a day and said they were ready to fix it, and had me in/out in less than 2 hours. Otherwise (creaky tops being fixed) the car has been perfect. And that’s pretty much what I expect from a new car. I expect that a new car (we’ve had several) will have a few things to fix, but they should be bullet-proof reliable and that’s what we’ve seen so far from our C7. What I really wasn’t prepared for is the level of performance and comfort that we get with our C7s for the $. New cars we’ve had include Cadillac’s including CTS’Vs, Maserati, Lotus, Chev, GMC, Ford’s, Mercedes, Jaguar, Land Rover, Lexus, etc. This car is my all time favorite. I look for excuses to drive it. I always go the long way. I go out to the garage sometimes and just enjoy looking at it, and thinking of what to do next. My sincere thanks to the engineers who made this happen, and to the forum members who helped me when I was contemplating 3 different cars to buy ‘for fun’.

Adding a few pics: Our car prior to leaving; my cousin's car next to ours; Seattle Corvette Club in Winthrop WA; Run of the River B&B in Leavenworth WA; Sun Mountain Lodge in Winthrop WA; Sisters OR; Luggage bags; packed.
Attached Images         

Last edited by Hopper12; 10-29-2015 at 12:17 PM.
The following 13 users liked this post by Hopper12:
460HP-YLO-JAKT (10-31-2015), Bavaria (10-29-2015), blueray16 (10-29-2015), C7Joy (10-30-2015), elegant (10-31-2015), geo2000 (10-30-2015), Len44 (10-30-2015), LisaVette98 (10-29-2015), managerman (10-29-2015), Mike1C7 (07-05-2016), mikefeeser (10-30-2015), red1996lt4 (10-31-2015), The Inspector (07-10-2016) and 8 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 10-29-2015, 12:26 PM
Rooster OG
Le Mans Master

Received 1,694 Likes on 1,240 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15

Awesome review, and a really great road trip. Thanks for taking the time to do the write up!

Old 10-29-2015, 12:38 PM
millpond
Melting Slicks

Received 379 Likes on 197 Posts

Enjoyed your write-up and pics!
Old 10-29-2015, 12:48 PM
cheapthrills
Melting Slicks

Received 441 Likes on 292 Posts

Road trips in these cars are great, glad you enjoyed it and nice review.
Old 10-29-2015, 12:55 PM
dvilin
Team Owner

Received 7,918 Likes on 4,804 Posts

Great write-up, great trip, all is good, thanks for sharing.
Old 10-29-2015, 01:06 PM
GS1960
Racer

Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts

Great write-up about your trip and the car and I have to agree with you about the car.

The wife and I recently got home after completing our initial break-in drive of 5400 miles. Mechanically our cars are similar except for the Z51 and Nav options.

I found the people stopping to take pictures and look at the car were 12 yr old boys and people over 50. We had 2 young boys stand in front of the car and take pictures of it before we could continue with our trip. I found that people would look at the car, but not want to talk. While in Zion, there was a tour group from France. My wife could understand them talking about the ca. Unfortunately, none of them tried to speak to us.

Gas mileage - we averaged just over 25 mpg on our trip. We spent several hours in the 80 - 90 mph range which may have affected the mileage a "tad" bit.

Like you we did not see a lot of vettes. We did stop at a pullout behind a C5 to find they had ben at the museum on the day of our delivery.

There is plenty of power in the base engine for road driving. Acceleration is quick and when passing you get around cars quickly.

I hope you continue to enjoy your car and maybe someday we will see each other on the road.
Old 10-29-2015, 01:35 PM
DCortez
Drifting

Received 197 Likes on 136 Posts

Appreciate the review, thanks for taking the time.
Old 10-29-2015, 01:44 PM
Nuclearranger
Pro

Received 82 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by GS1960
Great write-up about your trip and the car and I have to agree with you about the car.

The wife and I recently got home after completing our initial break-in drive of 5400 miles. Mechanically our cars are similar except for the Z51 and Nav options.

I found the people stopping to take pictures and look at the car were 12 yr old boys and people over 50. We had 2 young boys stand in front of the car and take pictures of it before we could continue with our trip. I found that people would look at the car, but not want to talk. While in Zion, there was a tour group from France. My wife could understand them talking about the ca. Unfortunately, none of them tried to speak to us.

Gas mileage - we averaged just over 25 mpg on our trip. We spent several hours in the 80 - 90 mph range which may have affected the mileage a "tad" bit.

Like you we did not see a lot of vettes. We did stop at a pullout behind a C5 to find they had ben at the museum on the day of our delivery.

There is plenty of power in the base engine for road driving. Acceleration is quick and when passing you get around cars quickly.

I hope you continue to enjoy your car and maybe someday we will see each other on the road.
There's simply plenty of power in general. Even for most tight tracks the car has too much. On the bigger tracks it's just right.

I will never understand how the car is UNDER-POWERED. It can go from 0 to arrested in 4-6 seconds...
Old 10-29-2015, 02:03 PM
PegasusCapital
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 119 Likes on 95 Posts

Sounds like a great trip in a great car. Thanks for sharing your experience!
Old 10-29-2015, 02:19 PM
stig.i.am
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Nuclearranger
There's simply plenty of power in general. Even for most tight tracks the car has too much. On the bigger tracks it's just right.

I will never understand how the car is UNDER-POWERED. It can go from 0 to arrested in 4-6 seconds...
Agreed.... 460 bhp is not under-powered! I don't think I could handle the power of the Z06 on public roads.

OP, Great review of your car

Thanks
Old 10-29-2015, 02:35 PM
orwollma
Burning Brakes

Received 507 Likes on 312 Posts

Originally Posted by Rooster OG
Awesome review, and a really great road trip. Thanks for taking the time to do the write up!

Only a minor quibble regarding your comment about the convertible: If you pack carefully and are willing to do laundry once or twice you can drop the top anytime the weather cooperates. My wife and I did a 7,900 mile coast-to-coast trip in our Z51 Vert and enjoyed every mile of it.
Old 10-29-2015, 02:52 PM
jasonn5
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Default Road Trip

Where did you get the red stripes done on the wheels? Are you running 19 and 20's on the car. Are those the stock tires? My super sports are really loud and harsh.. Thanks Mike
Old 10-29-2015, 02:57 PM
Monkey D. Luffy
Race Director

Received 711 Likes on 470 Posts

Originally Posted by Rooster OG

Old 10-29-2015, 02:58 PM
jasonn5
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Default sound deadening

Not familiar with Crazy Cowboy kit...Is there another name for it? Mike
Old 10-29-2015, 03:24 PM
VY427
Pro

Received 35 Likes on 26 Posts

Nice writeup.

Except for guys used to really fast cars, I can't imagine anyone calling the Stingray underpowered. Hitting it in any of the lower gears (I have an M7 Z51), this thing moves.
Old 10-29-2015, 03:30 PM
Hopper12
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by jasonn5
Not familiar with Crazy Cowboy kit...Is there another name for it? Mike
Here you go with a link. http://www.exoticvette.com/insulation%20c7.htm I have a prior thread where I explained the install process - and there are others who have too. Works well.
Old 10-29-2015, 03:34 PM
Hopper12
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by jasonn5
Where did you get the red stripes done on the wheels? Are you running 19 and 20's on the car. Are those the stock tires? My super sports are really loud and harsh.. Thanks Mike
Got the stripes from Tape Works, and used their install tool and did it myself. The wheels are the stock Z51 19/20. The nice thing about tapeworks is they have all the C7 colors to match. Mine are actually DSOM colored. Pretty easy to install, but if you're like me, you'll trash the first one while you learn how to use the tool and keep it going straight - but they give you enough to do 7-8 wheels with the kit.

http://www.tapeworks.com/

And thanks to all for the nice comments, Paul

Get notified of new replies

To Completed 3,000 mile road trip: Impressions vs. Expectations

Old 10-29-2015, 04:51 PM
DickieDoo
Drifting

Received 181 Likes on 159 Posts

I'm getting the transparent top too, very glad for your comments. So now i know i don't need to get the CF top.
BTW, how hard is it to put on and off compared the CF top ? Is it signifcantly heavier ? I suppose, since it is tranparent, you don't need to remove it to enjoy the open feeling.
Old 10-29-2015, 08:46 PM
DD04C5
Racer

Received 114 Likes on 80 Posts

Great write up. Glad you had a great time and trouble free trip.
Old 10-30-2015, 03:43 AM
Glen1224
Burning Brakes

Location: Lower Macungie Township ; Commonwealth of Pennsylvania
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Great post! I found this one very interesting and informative. I've been looking for new luggage to make "two week" trips. Thanks for posting

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Completed 3,000 mile road trip: Impressions vs. Expectations