Sponsored by:

Winter Storage - What to do and for how long

Old 11-06-2015, 07:32 PM
rmorin1249
Le Mans Master

Received 1,738 Likes on 1,174 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15-'16,'18

Originally Posted by thrilled
I like rt.40 from Hagerstown to Frederick.It works for me.
Drove it for 20+ years commuting to Fort Detrick from Hagerstown. I like heading west out of Hagerstown toward the mountains.
Old 11-06-2015, 08:07 PM
mikez06
Burning Brakes

Received 171 Likes on 130 Posts

Originally Posted by busterkeller
is it ok to leave charger inside car and run plug out the window to an outlet?
Yes, the hatch outlet. I don't close the hatch all the way (lights go out in a few minutes), but others do.
Oh and no, I don't leave the battery tender IN the car.

Last edited by mikez06; 11-06-2015 at 08:42 PM. Reason: Didn't fully read question, sorry!
Old 11-06-2015, 08:09 PM
rkhegler
Team Owner

Received 350 Likes on 152 Posts

I live in Nebraska and occasionally we have some severe winters. However, lately, we have had mild winters with not too much snow. I put my vettes on tenders and then try to drive them while the conditions permit. That would be when the roads are cleared and the snow is melted off. The past few years, I would be able to drive every month.
Old 11-06-2015, 08:20 PM
nmvettec7
Safety Car

Received 850 Likes on 493 Posts

Originally Posted by busterkeller
is it ok to leave charger inside car and run plug out the window to an outlet?
My suggestion only:

Depending on the charger you have, my suggestion is to leave the charger out of the C7 where you can see the LED's, to make sure is unit is charging properly.

If you own the CTEK brand, you can buy a Comfort Extension on Amazon for about $14.00 which would provide an extra 8 ft of cord. It is a simple plug-in connector.

This way you will know all the time when looking at the charger unit that the Green LED is lite and the unit is working properly.

If the unit is stored in the C7 and covered, you would not know of the unit is trickle or pulse charging the battery.

No matter what brand you use, if there are LED's on the unit, you want to be able to see the LED's.
Old 11-06-2015, 08:33 PM
Black&White
Drifting

Received 140 Likes on 96 Posts

You do need to start it at least once a month and let it run for 30 mins. Not starting the car for months on end will cause engine wear on the first start after sitting for for five months dry as a bone with no oil film.

Last edited by Black&White; 11-06-2015 at 08:43 PM.
Old 11-06-2015, 08:40 PM
thrilled
Safety Car

Received 618 Likes on 455 Posts

Originally Posted by Black&White
You do need to start it at least once a month and let it run for 30 mins. Not starting the car for months on end will cause engine wear on the first start after sitting for for four months dry as a bone with no oil film.
That's what I was saying metal against metal.But I had heard Castrol puts
Out an oil that will keep the cylinder lining and rings lubricated for long
Periods of time
Old 11-06-2015, 08:42 PM
LIStingray
Melting Slicks

Received 461 Likes on 284 Posts

Originally Posted by SK360
There are valid arguments on both sides, I subscribe to the "it doesn't matter as most of it is going to drain into the pan shortly" theory.
If you read the true experts, including Blackstone Labs, there really aren't arguments both ways: the only proper method is to change it before storage and let it sit, without starting it until spring.
The following users liked this post:
Glen e (11-06-2015)
Old 11-06-2015, 08:43 PM
mikez06
Burning Brakes

Received 171 Likes on 130 Posts

You do need to start it at least once a month and let it run for 30 mins. Not starting the car for months on end will cause engine wear on the first start after sitting for for four months dry as a bone with no oil film.
Once again, you are wrong.
The following 3 users liked this post by mikez06:
Glen e (11-06-2015), JDM111er (11-07-2015), Woodson (11-09-2015)
Old 11-06-2015, 09:31 PM
Patman
Race Director

Received 1,917 Likes on 1,190 Posts

You do need to start it at least once a month and let it run for 30 mins. Not starting the car for months on end will cause engine wear on the first start after sitting for for five months dry as a bone with no oil film.
Absolutely wrong. I've been storing cars this way for many years (not starting them at all) and I've had zero problems. And I get oil analysis done on my cars and they show no serious signs of engine wear like you suggest.
The following 2 users liked this post by Patman:
BlueFinn (11-07-2015), JDM111er (11-07-2015)
Old 11-07-2015, 09:17 AM
6spdC6
Team Owner

Location: Northern NYs Adirondack Mountains,http://www.visitsacandaga.com.
Received 144 Likes on 107 Posts

That's your car do what you want! I put the car away for close to 5 + months and it sleeps the whole time with a tender on. As others have said in the spring put the gas pedal to the floor and let it crank a bit without firing, that gets the oil pressure up and all is well.

I have stored cars since the 1960s (some outside) but since the 80s have had a garage (unheated under my house) Got my first tender in 98 and have used one since. Before that I got a charger and topped off the battery about every 2 months(car not started), but with the more modern computer cars a tender and not starting works the best..

PS oil change and tires puffed up right before storage starts!

Last edited by 6spdC6; 11-07-2015 at 09:54 AM.
Old 11-07-2015, 01:06 PM
robertson2900
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Don't forget the exhaust pipes

Originally Posted by Pelicans
My C7 (2016 Z51) is parked inside my heated garage for the winter.

What I am wondering is, how often to start it up, and then how long to run it for. I have the battery on the GM charger and it is unplugged when I start it up. note: It will be parked from November to April. (current milage is 1500km or 932miles)

Also any other considerations to keep on top of would be appreciated.

Greg
Also a good idea to place some steel wool in the exhaust pipes to keep the mice out. Don't forget to remove the steel wool before you start in the spring. Good idea to place a note on the dash as a reminder. I also place some mouse traps near/under the car to stop the little critters. They will get in and build nests if you are not careful.
Old 11-12-2015, 08:00 PM
VinniesVette
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

It's amazing all the different things people do to store their Vettes for the winter. I've researched countless threads and talked with many about the do's and dont's. Here is what I've learned and I'm not taking away from what others consider appropriate.
1. It's ok to leave the tires on the same spot for 4 or 5 months at a time. I'm told that it's when you keep moving it to different spots that creates problems. The first time out it will take a bit for the tire to reform appropriately and thats it.
2. No need to start it periodically. You are storing it for a few months not a few years !
Most even suggest that for this short a time a battery tender is not needed.
Basically what I have found more often than not is "do nothing". A car cover is appropriate for sure but again I'm finding that the most popular thought is that a 4 to 5 month storage does not merit a great deal of steps for storage.
This is what I've found and in no way am I raining on anyones parade.
Old 11-12-2015, 08:15 PM
thrilled
Safety Car

Received 618 Likes on 455 Posts

Originally Posted by VinniesVette
It's amazing all the different things people do to store their Vettes for the winter. I've researched countless threads and talked with many about the do's and dont's. Here is what I've learned and I'm not taking away from what others consider appropriate.
1. It's ok to leave the tires on the same spot for 4 or 5 months at a time. I'm told that it's when you keep moving it to different spots that creates problems. The first time out it will take a bit for the tire to reform appropriately and thats it.
2. No need to start it periodically. You are storing it for a few months not a few years !
Most even suggest that for this short a time a battery tender is not needed.
Basically what I have found more often than not is "do nothing". A car cover is appropriate for sure but again I'm finding that the most popular thought is that a 4 to 5 month storage does not merit a great deal of steps for storage.
This is what I've found and in no way am I raining on anyones parade.
I believe your right.I mean A few months is nothing.I agree with you 100%.
Old 11-14-2015, 08:26 AM
PUGPROUD
Racer

Received 33 Likes on 24 Posts

A lot of good suggestions on this thread for storing your Vette. The guiding principle to remember and not forget is that the more things you do to prepare her (yes I refer to all my cars as her, no need to reply if offended) for winter storage the more peace of mind you will have and the better you will sleep at night.
Old 11-14-2015, 08:33 AM
dmhines
Burning Brakes

Received 227 Likes on 144 Posts

There are cars that sit for months in dealers lots all summer or winter long. I doubt new car dealers worry about prepping or starting engines or battery chargers.
Old 11-14-2015, 09:08 AM
c7mike
Advanced

Received 12 Likes on 3 Posts
Default stroring

I do start my cars

3 times in the winter
and I move it a bit so I do not get flat spots on tires
I run it tell it get hot then I turn it off
my yellow car when first I got the car I did get flat spots on tires when I did not move the car now I move both corvettes
and do use battery tender
Old 11-14-2015, 11:10 PM
Vetteman Jack
Administrator

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: In a parallel universe. Currently own 2014 Stingray Coupe.
Received 19,188 Likes on 13,911 Posts
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
MO Events Coordinator
St. Jude Co-Organizer
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-
'20-'21-'22-'23-'24
NCM Sinkhole Donor
CI 5, 8 & 11 Veteran

I usually store my car from around December 1st to mid-March or so. I do not start the car up unless I take the rare opportunity to drive the car for a distance when the weather permits.

Get notified of new replies

To Winter Storage - What to do and for how long

Old 11-16-2015, 04:32 PM
C6LRC
Cruising

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Zippered Bag

Originally Posted by John Ulrich
Worst thing to do is start it and not driving it.

The C7 is in a zippered bag, the battery tender cord is existing the bottom edge in the photo with duct tape around it to keep a mouse from sneaking in. The C3 is in front of it with Bounce drier sheets hopefully keeping the mice away....I need to purchase a second bag.

Hi John, fellow Twin Citizen here...where did you find the zippered bag and could a mouse chew through the bag? The other question I have is are you concerned about creating and environment for the mice? i.e. my HVAC contractor told me not not to completely cover the exterior AC unit with anything more than a piece of plywood on top of the unit as a full cover creates a cozy environment and acts as an invitation to nest and of course chew on wiring...we seem to have a fair amount of the scampering little rodents in the west metro.
Old 11-16-2015, 06:04 PM
SMFCPACFP
Safety Car

Received 101 Likes on 39 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

Originally Posted by bluefinn
and, if it is in a garage, sit in it every once and a while, drink a single malt scotch and dream of spring!

Absolutely wrong If you dream about spring where I live you would go stark raving mad. I cover it up more so to forget it than to keep it clean.

Anyway we had a nice day here (up to 58 and sunny. High should be 38) so I drove it to town, did a few errands, put fuel stabilizer in the gas tank and filled it up, inflated the tires to 35, took everything out and put the cover on it, called insurance agent to take off road coverage. Tomorrow I get the snow tires put on mu PU:

Old 11-16-2015, 06:24 PM
MikeLsx
Drifting

Received 200 Likes on 151 Posts

Putting my vette away next week. I have done storage on my camaro in the past, so i know the drill.

I would like to put some extra air in the tires, but they have nitrogen in them right now. Never had nitrogen in my tires in the past. Can i just add more air? or do i need to go to dealers?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Winter Storage - What to do and for how long