Sponsored by:

Consumer Reports on C7 Corvettes

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2015, 03:48 PM
navyvetteran
Instructor

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Default Consumer Reports on C7 Corvettes

Read in ConsumerReports that C-7 Corvette is # 6 in top 20 Worst cars. This is of some concern since I'm considering a 2016 Z51. I wonder if I should wait for a 2017. Anybody know when 2017 will be coming out?
Old 11-08-2015, 04:04 PM
juanvaldez
Team Owner

Received 493 Likes on 364 Posts

Reading Consumer Report for car information is like reading Rolling Stone for cleaning tips. I got a '16 Z51 coupe. Just got back from an autocross. Fantastic car.
Old 11-08-2015, 04:27 PM
dvilin
Team Owner

Received 7,923 Likes on 4,809 Posts

Plenty of postings on the Consumer Reports. Just like this forum you tend to hear of the problems. I have not had one issue with my 2015 and I would say the majority of owners are very happy with their purchase.
The C7 is nothing short of amazing.
Old 11-08-2015, 04:37 PM
aj98
Melting Slicks

Received 168 Likes on 137 Posts

Originally Posted by dvilin
I have not had one issue with my 2015 and I would say the majority of owners are very happy with their purchase.
The C7 is nothing short of amazing.
2014 and cannot disagree with dvilin.

Have noted over time CR pans most sports cars and puts them in poor/lower than avg reliability, etc. they did the same with the c5, as well as a couple 'sporty' sedans I've owned.
Old 11-08-2015, 04:50 PM
Stan0324
Drifting

Received 177 Likes on 109 Posts

I stopped reading consumer reports many years ago when they lower the rating on the corvette because It did not have enough cupholders.
Old 11-08-2015, 05:06 PM
mendeldl
Racer

Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by navyvetteran
Read in ConsumerReports that C-7 Corvette is # 6 in top 20 Worst cars. This is of some concern since I'm considering a 2016 Z51. I wonder if I should wait for a 2017. Anybody know when 2017 will be coming out?
Aside from other's comments, the other thing about Consumer's Reports is that the issue they noted is the unreliability of the infotainment and Nav. I've had my car in for infotainment issues, but really don't think that is significant. Had our cars been named as having bad engines or transmissions, that would be different, for me anyway.
Old 11-08-2015, 05:17 PM
Curahee
Pro

Received 123 Likes on 76 Posts

CR is pretty good for vacuum cleaners and toaster ovens. That's about it.
Old 11-08-2015, 05:41 PM
427bob
Pro

Received 296 Likes on 93 Posts

I find Conusmer Reports to be very fair and they're not in the tank for anybody.
So, we all own a car that ranks as one of the 20 Least Reliable New Cars. We're at #5 and the Top Problem areas are: In-Car Electronics, Engine, and Climate System. (How did they miss the paint?)

The only people that can do something about that are the decision makers at GM.

I'm really enjoying my 2016. And I'm willing to pay for a not so reliable new car so that I can have the performance thrill that comes "standard" with this terrific car.
Old 11-08-2015, 05:46 PM
obxchartercaptain
Safety Car

Received 308 Likes on 198 Posts
FL Events Coordinator

I am of the opinion...where's there's smoke there's FIRE. Consumers Report does not take ad's they have NO axe to grind....They just report what they see. Someone is complaining someplace....

I love MY 2016 Z51 VERT...But I do have issues with fit and finish going on 3 months now...GM is involved and when it is finally resolved I will post pics and story....A certain Service Manager is about to find out the TRUE meaning of the LEMON LAW.
The following users liked this post:
CorvetteTony2008 (11-22-2015)
Old 11-08-2015, 06:00 PM
bbcb
Burning Brakes

Received 86 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by obxchartercaptain
I am of the opinion...where's there's smoke there's FIRE. Consumers Report does not take ad's they have NO axe to grind....They just report what they see. Someone is complaining someplace....

I love MY 2016 Z51 VERT...But I do have issues with fit and finish going on 3 months now...GM is involved and when it is finally resolved I will post pics and story....A certain Service Manager is about to find out the TRUE meaning of the LEMON LAW.
waste of time even commenting ...some have convinced themselves

that it is just great news being ranked so badly by CU....

I for one would much rather see my new Vette rated good rather than awful ...but thats just me ....
Old 11-08-2015, 06:00 PM
rrsperry
Safety Car

Received 1,412 Likes on 737 Posts

There is a difference between reliablility and trouble free. I bet CR doesn't differentiate. Getting stranded is the same as a wonky light bulb...
beadman (12-13-2015)
Old 11-08-2015, 06:15 PM
2HD's2vettes
Burning Brakes

Received 43 Likes on 36 Posts

First let me say I have ZERO respect for CR going back to their HVAC rankings of equipment companies. I have been in the industry in just about all phases for close to 30 years. Their rankings were so absurd, it was ridiculous. First off it's very geographic, systems, and features are so much different from the NE, SE, out west, etc. due do climate concerns. Straight cool, heat pumps, gas, oil, dual fuel, etc. Secondly the install is really more important than the "brand" so how did they gauge that? Duct systems vary with different equipment, how did they rank that? It's not a JD power format - CR ranked them. They had Rheem first, which is an absolute joke (and we sell Rheem for certain applications) they had Bryant 2nd. and the kicker - Carrier 8th (out of 10) Bryant and Carrier are essentially identical units. Same parts, design, etc. They are marketed for two different dealers, generally speaking Carrier for more established dealers, and Bryant for smaller or up-start dealers. So the "same units" came in 2nd and 8th??? Rheem at #1 with a disastrous evaporator coil, if they did a cross section of the coil they would realize that it is about 50% thinner than other evap. coils. Also an accordion designed coil with 3X the solder joints, then, the introduction of new (at the time) R410A refrigerant running at almost twice the psi pressures, and that coil/system is an absolute nightmare - but it was #1 in their rankings??? So, sorry to rant, and get off-topic, but it is an area I know very well, they could not have been anymore wrong if they tried. I am still trying to defend those stupid HVAC rankings they did years ago, when someone pulls out that rag of a mag. There are some people that take CR as the bible in evaluations.

Sorry for the rant, I just picked up our 2016 Z51 a few weeks ago, I love the car, but at 742 miles, so far, that means very little at this point, my 2006 C6 was a great car - no issues.

Last edited by 2HD's2vettes; 11-08-2015 at 07:26 PM.
Old 11-08-2015, 06:59 PM
BIG Dave
Le Mans Master

Received 4,684 Likes on 1,862 Posts

I've been saying this for years. Nobody can be an expert on everything under the sun. CR claims they know everything there is to know about cars, lawn mowers, stereo equipment, kitchen faucets, washing machines, house paint, spaghetti, you name it. Never took them seriously, probably never will.
The following 3 users liked this post by BIG Dave:
3 Z06ZR1 (11-09-2015), 360Lemans (11-09-2015), JWingo (02-23-2016)
Old 11-08-2015, 07:14 PM
bbcb
Burning Brakes

Received 86 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by BIG Dave
I've been saying this for years. Nobody can be an expert on everything under the sun. CR claims they know everything there is to know about cars, lawn mowers, stereo equipment, kitchen faucets, washing machines, house paint, spaghetti, you name it. Never took them seriously, probably never will.
yeah CR knows nothing .... ... wish I was enlightened 45 years ago because thats how long I have paid for our subscription ....

You may want to know though ...that the reliability report and the awful rating that the C7 received ...the way I understand it ..was not CR testing ..just owners survey etc........actually nothing to do with CR ..they just reported the data received ..in this case .... their actual testing of the car comes at a later date ......I have a hunch CR will be around long after we are gone ....
The following 2 users liked this post by bbcb:
ratman6161 (11-09-2015), Walt White Coupe (11-08-2015)
Old 11-08-2015, 07:25 PM
Walt White Coupe
Race Director

Received 2,225 Likes on 1,141 Posts

There are some people that take CR as the bible in evaluations.

In the real world that I live in, they are.

Now I don't actually believe in "Bibles" anyway. I do believe in statistics and that's what's been reported.

And I would have bought my 2016 no matter how bad the reliability was reported to be.

Last edited by Walt White Coupe; 11-08-2015 at 07:49 PM.
Old 11-08-2015, 07:33 PM
BOBSZ06
Le Mans Master

Received 319 Likes on 205 Posts

If CR said the Climate control system is poor then they got that right.
Unless of course you don't mind keeping the A/C on.
The ventilation system without the A/C on is terrible and blows hot air from the upper vent. Documented in this forum with pictures and by a local Corvette Tech who said, "design inherent" issue.
I live with it and keep the fan off so I don't get cooked in the car from the hot engine bay preheating the air coming into the cowl inlet...measured at 110*F; inside 122*F at idle.
Good job by CR.
Old 11-08-2015, 07:50 PM
Hossman352
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

You can wait forever.. I saw reports and concerns - I bought my 2016 Z51 3LT -2 weeks ago and love it. Already had the 500 mile oil change and pushing 1000 miles on it... I was not waiting another minute.. Glad to be an owner of a 2016 C7

Get notified of new replies

To Consumer Reports on C7 Corvettes

Old 11-08-2015, 08:09 PM
scottsh
Pro

Received 36 Likes on 27 Posts

CR takes their car reliability data from subscriber reports. What you don't see are how many surveys they got from Corvette owners and how many had issues. With only a limited number of cars sold per year, I suspect they have a much smaller sample size of reports to draw from then they do from any truck or van.

I also worry that the only people who take the time to send in a survey are those who are dissatisfied. If you had an infotainment screen go bad, the Nav fail to get a GPS signal, or the transmission overheat (all problems we know people had with the 2014) you are probably going to send in an unhappy survey. But if you didn't have any troubles, you might ignore the email begging you to take time out of your day to fill out the survey.
Old 11-08-2015, 08:17 PM
phileaglesfan
Race Director

Received 164 Likes on 129 Posts

Unfortunately people read these magazines. I can think of at least 3 unfavorable C7 articles so far. This one, the C&D long term car and the Z06 that couldn't finish the test against other cars in a magazine (I forgot which one)

Would it affect my decision to buy a C7? Most likely not! However GM does seem to have some issues with things such as the infotainment system and the A8 tranny. It sounds like the C7's roof still squeaks like the C6's roof does.

I used to buy only GM cars but I got tired of their "normal operating conditions" excuse or the same part breaking over and over again. How many LS7 engines do they have to go thru for example to admit there is a problem. The car "runs fine" until the engine goes then it is a $14k repair out of warranty or at least 1-2 weeks in warranty.

GM does need to work on its quality standards. In the end the vehicles they build will be better in the end.
Old 11-08-2015, 08:27 PM
craig04c5
Melting Slicks

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by scottsh

I also worry that the only people who take the time to send in a survey are those who are dissatisfied. If you had an infotainment screen go bad, the Nav fail to get a GPS signal, or the transmission overheat (all problems we know people had with the 2014) you are probably going to send in an unhappy survey. But if you didn't have any troubles, you might ignore the email begging you to take time out of your day to fill out the survey.
Unless the surveys have changed they ask for information on all cars you have as well as appliances etc. Most of us have two or more other cars besides the Corvette so you are not only reporting on the Corvette. My point is I doubt you would fill out their survey just because you are having issues with the Vette.
principalpony (11-23-2015)

Quick Reply: Consumer Reports on C7 Corvettes